Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres - Which Brand?

Regarding load ratings

Cali axles are rated at > Front 1610kgs and rear at 1575kgs. (Beach is possibly less)

From that the front needs 805kgs minimum tyre load capacity. 805 + 805 = 1610kgs.

A 101 tyre rating is 825Kgs giving 1650kgs per axle.

A 103 tyre rating is 875kgs giving 1750kgs per axle.

The 103 would be the sensible minimum. A 101 would be too marginal IMO.

Confirmation of load ratings can be found here -- http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

Additionally tyres now have an EU rating sticker that gives Economy, Wet road performance and noise levels . A being best and G lowest/worst.
Generally the price of tyres is directly linked to these ratings in that Michelins may have A to C ratings and Cheapies only E to G ratings.

Last edited:
Also, "Low rolling resistance" tyres have the added benefit that the rubber is a harder compound and this is good for resisting punctures.

Why don't you just go by the tyre sizes mentioned on the B Pillar sticker that all Californias have?

Has anyone tried 235/55R17 103V XL TL Nokian Weatherproof? I need to change mine and came across these. They are the right spec and match the door pillar recommendation for 17" wheels.

Has anyone tried 235/55R17 103V XL TL Nokian Weatherproof? I need to change mine and came across these. They are the right spec and match the door pillar recommendation for 17" wheels.

Hi, I don't know what the TL part of your description means but the rest of it applies to the tyres I've been running for the last 15 months. I really like them and much prefer them in the wet, to the Dunlop sport max ones that came on the van. I am definitely not an aggressive driver and was shocked at how easily the dunlops spun when pulling away from junctions in the wet. This has never happened with the Nokians and they are better when we've been camping on wet grass as well. My husband has driven them in the snow and they were fine then too.

IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1902.jpg Bridgestone 235/55 R17 v 103 fitted to my T6 and l unfortunatly need a new one.

Right, I finally got them replaced after eeking out another couple of hundred miles, leaving them right on the wear bars!

After much deliberation and an aborted attempt at F1 autocentres (don't ever use these guys they may be cheap but they are useless!), i managed to get a price for the new Continental ContiSport Contact 6, for the same as the outgoing Contisport 5, they look good and I think seems quieter, but only done a few miles so will report back when I have a few hundred under my belt. ATS did the change an they were excellent, tracking was adjusted so I'm hoping to get some more life out of these ones.

Edited, not ContiSport Contact 6, but Premium Contact 6 (must get my eyes checked!)
Certainly not as secure feeling in the corners but I think any new tyres would be the same cos of the tread depth, but massively more comfortable, don't have to grit my teeth now on potholed roads :thumb

Last edited:
Hi,
I have recently purchased a second hand VW T5 California my tyre label has the following:

upload_2017-3-23_0-44-13.png

I have 16" wheels so my choice is limited to the 1st 2 types ( C - van commercial) I currently have Vanco but they don't seem to be brilliant so after having read around I came up with the following 5 choices:

- Pirelli Carrier All Season ( apparently very low noise and very good wet grip)
- Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 ( I have tried the Vector 4season gen 2 on my car and they are great also in the snow, not sure about these though)
- Continental VancoFourSeason 2 (new generation not so many tests around)
- Nokian Weatherproof C ( the non-C version made it as a 3 place into the best 3 all season tires after Michelin CrossClimate and Goodyear Vector Gen2 - aquaplaning and snow it's the's their strenght)
- Vredestein Comtrac 2 All Season highly rated by campervan users for their grip and high mileage

Any recommendation experience?
thanks
Anto

Hi,
I have recently purchased a second hand VW T5 California my tyre label has the following:

View attachment 20022

I have 16" wheels so my choice is limited to the 1st 2 types ( C - van commercial) I currently have Vanco but they don't seem to be brilliant so after having read around I came up with the following 5 choices:

- Pirelli Carrier All Season ( apparently very low noise and very good wet grip)
- Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 ( I have tried the Vector 4season gen 2 on my car and they are great also in the snow, not sure about these though)
- Continental VancoFourSeason 2 (new generation not so many tests around)
- Nokian Weatherproof C ( the non-C version made it as a 3 place into the best 3 all season tires after Michelin CrossClimate and Goodyear Vector Gen2 - aquaplaning and snow it's the's their strenght)
- Vredestein Comtrac 2 All Season highly rated by campervan users for their grip and high mileage

Any recommendation experience?
thanks
Anto
Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 ++++ averaging in excess of 20,000 miles / set of tyres as I change them all simultaneously as I have a 4Motion.
Michelin are supposed to be good but they didn't have the size/load rating until recently.

Hi the Crossclimate are not in my tyre lable unfortunately, how is the Goodyear Vector behavior in mud? Mine is not 4motion so I have to be careful, and noise on the motorway?
Thanks
Anto

So I went for the Vredestein Comtrac 2 All Season I found them at 100ÂŁ each plus 10ÂŁ fitting.. I will let you know how they will perform asap.
They are a 2017 newelty with B as wet grip and C as fuel consumption which for a light truck all season should be good. fingers crossed

Hi the Crossclimate are not in my tyre lable unfortunately, how is the Goodyear Vector behavior in mud? Mine is not 4motion so I have to be careful, and noise on the motorway?
Thanks
Anto
No problem, quiet at speed and no problem in mud - but I see you are already sorted.

I think I might try the Goodyear,255/45R18 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. Anyone used these?

in the measure 215 / 65R16 Nokian Weaterproof council, the Vanco 200 sucks off the paved road, losing leave Goodyear, on my Grand Cherokee come off the rubber plugs (and are "made in Germany ...). I would try a train LAS AS Maxxis tires, cheap, at least for the excursions on the dirt roads of Tuscany and Sardinia .....

I think I might try the Goodyear,255/45R18 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. Anyone used these?
They were my 2nd choice but on a recent AutoExpress review they weren't so good on the wet stuff as te Conti's

Why don't you just go by the tyre sizes mentioned on the B Pillar sticker that all Californias have?

You are quite right and some of the tyres being talked about here may not be legal on a Cali at all.

Any tyre not matching or exceeding the minimum specifications on the driver's side door pillar will mean the van is technically not road-worthy. This might not matter quite so much in the UK, where vehicles are held to comparatively lax safety standards, but can make the car illegal to drive in many parts of the European Mainland. In any case it could invalidate the insurance in an accident. The same goes for tread depth where, in general, many European nations specify a far safer minimum than the UK.

For example, my T5 2007 specifies 215/65 R16C 102/100H which means a commercial rated tyre with a minimum 100 load rating and H (130mph) speed rating.

If your trip to the local tyre fitter was useless seems the choice of tyre fitter not matches the tip i gave about going to a qualified tyre fitter ;)
Now you can tap on the red X below to the right if you feel like it.
Lighten up a bit....

Some think it is smart arse comment , others call it rational thinking.
Hi Hotel California. I for one am grateful for your comments and your sense of humour. In this case you have hit the nail on the head and expert advice should be sought.

ps. That you speak more than one language is to be applauded. Your English may not be perfect but it's as easy to understand as anyone else on this forum (and you don't resort to swearing)

You are quite right and some of the tyres being talked about here may not be legal on a Cali at all.

Any tyre not matching or exceeding the minimum specifications on the driver's side door pillar will mean the van is technically not road-worthy. This might not matter quite so much in the UK, where vehicles are held to comparatively lax safety standards, but can make the car illegal to drive in many parts of the European Mainland. In any case it could invalidate the insurance in an accident. The same goes for tread depth where, in general, many European nations specify a far safer minimum than the UK.

For example, my T5 2007 specifies 215/65 R16C 102/100H which means a commercial rated tyre with a minimum 100 load rating and H (130mph) speed rating.
Agree with your comment.
Just to add that caution needs to be taken on a pre-continental trip as worn tyres can wear down past the legal limit during your holiday so just because they are OK before going doesn't mean that they will be by the time the return trip is undertaken.