Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres - Which Brand?

My Cali came with Goodyear when new in 2010. Once they were worn I switched to Michelin and have stayed with them since.

Have had van lowered with VW 30mm springs. Cali feels very sure footed on Michelins.
Can I ask which Michelins?

10k sounds bad to me.
We are getting around 20k from a set of Dunlops (as original on the van) on a 180 4Motion and we drive fairly hard. The Dunlops are a relatively soft compound which makes them so good in the wet. They do get swapped front to back when I fit the winter tyres so they all wear evenly.
Is the wear even across the tyre?

10k sounds bad to me.
We are getting around 20k from a set of Dunlops (as original on the van) on a 180 4Motion and we drive fairly hard. The Dunlops are a relatively soft compound which makes them so good in the wet. They do get swapped front to back when I fit the winter tyres so they all wear evenly.
Is the wear even across the tyre?
Yes totally even, so it is just a case of them being worn out rather than alignment I think. Please can you let me know which Dunlops you use?
Thanks

The best all out summer tyres I had on the Touareg which is as heavy as the Cali was the Goodyear Eagle F1.

For a slightly more all terrain I rate the Michelin Lattitude Cross and that is what I'll be putting on once these factory Turanos(or what ever they are) wear out.

Here you go.

Michelins are on the PJM-84 black list!

Many moons ago I had an Africa Twin (motorbike) with Michelins and the front tyre kept coming apart at the seams. This happened to three consecutive front tyres. The last one caught me by surprise (20-30 second deflation) and I nearly lost the front end on a roundabout.

The first I accepted as the tyre was worn, the second, Michelin replaced, the third Michelin offered a credit voucher against the trade cost of the tyre as I didn't want to run with Michelin tyres any more. Understandably

We hit a sort of stalemate and I replaced my tyre for another brand at my cost and called in Trading Standards.

Trading Standard were alarmed at the tyre. They bought the same tyre, from my tyre fitter, and would have these tested and examined at a tyre testing facility near Stoke on Trent. This would take months but they would keep me informed.

2 days later I have a call. Its now been resolved? Michelin are aware of this very small issue that sometimes occurs and they have provided us with an 100% assurance that it has been resolved at the factory and therefore any further testing will be a pointless. The testing centre has discussed this directly with Michelin

Can I have my damaged tyre back. No, Michelin have taken it away. (But it's my property?) They will contact you in regards to 100% compensation for the tyre.

Received a cheque for £42 for the trade cost of the tyre. Tyre and fitting cost £80.

So I have a long conversation and they suggested I spoke to tyre fitter to claw back fitting costs and his profit. I kept on and begrudgingly they paid the full amount.

I agree its not the same tyre (and it was 23years ago) . But it's the same manufacturer. However I accept corporate attitudes change plus they are on my black list which I haven't reviewed or changed for years!

No frustration in there at all. Just plain dangerous.

Have a sudden deflation issue in the car and you will probably be able to stop safely. Peel into a roundabout on a motorbike, lean the bike over balancing the bike on throttle or brakes (yes I drag the rear brake to reduce understeer), and then have sudden tyre deflation; its an all new ball game.

Yes totally even, so it is just a case of them being worn out rather than alignment I think. Please can you let me know which Dunlops you use?
Thanks

Dunlop SP Sport. 235 55 17. 103 load rating

I used to run Hankook but burned thru a set way too quickly (in about 14 months) and found them a bit noisy. I've since changed to vredestein all-weather and they are still looking new 10 months later. Smooth and quiet too. Plus they have the little snowflakes on them so you can drive up a Swiss alp if you feel the need.

For the purposes of comparison, I can categorically state that my driving style and annual mileage is pretty much identical to, err, my driving style and annual mileage

Insight into tyre market brands and comparisons can be read on the site below.
Tyre evolution seems to make comparisons go out of date pretty rapidly, the new breed of all season tyres seems the most cost effective unless 2 sets of wheels are utilised. (all tyres used to be all season a few years back)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

As an all weather tyre the Michelin CrossClimate+ looks like an excellent solution to having one tyre fitment instead of summer and winter wheel sets.

Last edited:
I found that our t5 was heavy on tires and seamed to need front changed at around 10k although I tend to change tyres earlier rather than down near the limit.
I also found that top brands and budget tyres lasted the same and with my driving style I was happy with an £85ish tyre and served me well in regards road holding noise etc. I note that our old van had load rating of 103 yet our new T6 has 109.

What tyres? our Bridgestone Turanza's are still 103
Continental 215 60 17 {109}(*size from memory) where T5 had 235 55 17 {103}

I guess my winter wheel which are 235 55 17 103 will be ok on my t6

No, sadly the T6 requires better wheels and a more black tyre side wall..................However If you leave them outside your door I will dispose of them for you!

I replaced the tyres on my secondhand T5 (Viking...) als soon as I could. I was looking for 4 seasons with decent winter qualities and found that the Michelin Cross Climate should be a nice choice: a new developed tyre with real good 4-season quality. Since our first trip was planned to Norway (Lofoten) in early May there was a chance to get some snowy conditions.

crossclimate.jpg

The only problem was: there was nobody who could tell me how the performance and lifespan would be if used on a T5. It took me even some days to find the fitting size (215 R65 16C)

22K km (14K in miles) later there is still 4.5mm (front) 5mm (rear) left. (174HP T5 TDI)

These are maybe not as good as real winters but they have got the *** snowflakes so they are certified for Germany in wintertime and they performed very decent in the snow.

Last edited:
I found that our t5 was heavy on tires and seamed to need front changed at around 10k although I tend to change tyres earlier rather than down near the limit.
I also found that top brands and budget tyres lasted the same and with my driving style I was happy with an £85ish tyre and served me well in regards road holding noise etc. I note that our old van had load rating of 103 yet our new T6 has 109.
Doesn't matter what the Load rating is as long as it matches or exceeds the recommended. Check the Tyre sticker on the Drivers B Pillar for sizes and ratings recommended.

I was looking to,price a set of winter tyres yesterday and steel rims to match . My tyre place I use ( A2 in sittinbourne ) told me that I can only use tyres with a commercial rating for the Cali . To be specific that is 'C' rated . They are £150 to 170 £ each ( 215 /60 / 17 ) . The rims are extra of course .

I wonder if anyone has any experience of buying winter tyres they could share in relation especially to the C rating .

Thanks

Not sure that is correct, I think they have to be reinforced or marked as XL for Extra Load, but not commercial. Certainly I've never had a C marked tyre.

Yes the ones now on the çali are C tyres .... he told me it's a commercial rating for the weight ...and specific for the Cali ?.. they are continentals , it's a new hire Cali I have it for 8 weeks ...

On our T5 I booked the fitting of a set of new tyres 103 (as from new and all other Cali's looked at) when I went into to get them fitted the fitter had a fizzy fit saying I should have 109's our currant t6 has I09. I have looked at the usual on line suppliers and 103 seem to be the max load they sale I guess 109 are classed van tyres.

I will run all season again when I change tyres.