Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Value this vehicle please

Well this is the first I've heard of 180's being an issue. Is this commonplace knowledge or just hearsay???

My dream cali is a 180 dsg 2014 with as many extras as I can lay my hands on and hopefully lowish mileage and well looked after.
Should I be only looking for 140's surely it's just another turbo and an updated map to turn it into a 180.

I know about the timing belt and pump but just want the cali to be as new as I can afford, altho I'm sure some will say otherwise.
There was a problem with the CFCA engines from 2010/2011, supposedly fixed for 2012. Some low milage vehicles have had increased oil consumption at about 60,000 miles. There is a small group on Facebook that blame the EGR, but then again small in number compared to the numbers built. There is No Class 1 evidence as to the exact cause.
All I can say is my 180 used 1L oil from 0-20,000 miles, 750mls 20-40,000 miles, 500mls 40-60,000 miles and so far 250mls 60-75,000 miles.

Read into that what you will, but I wouldn’t have considered a 140 without a significant re-map and what would that have done to the warranty and longevity of the engine drivetrain.

Well this is the first I've heard of 180's being an issue. Is this commonplace knowledge or just hearsay???

My dream cali is a 180 dsg 2014 with as many extras as I can lay my hands on and hopefully lowish mileage and well looked after.
Should I be only looking for 140's surely it's just another turbo and an updated map to turn it into a 180.

I know about the timing belt and pump but just want the cali to be as new as I can afford, altho I'm sure some will say otherwise.

If it were my money, I’d be looking for a T6 150. I hired a 180 before I bought my 150 and there’s not much between them power wise. There is a 17 plate red one on here (sold) for 43,900, which I thought was a good price. Still under warranty as well. Got to be a much better bet than a van which is 3 years older.

If it were my money, I’d be looking for a T6 150. I hired a 180 before I bought my 150 and there’s not much between them power wise. There is a 17 plate red one on here (sold) for 43,900, which I thought was a good price. Still under warranty as well. Got to be a much better bet than a van which is 3 years older.
Yeah I thought that was pretty cheap too.
Anyway, seeing as this thread has gone so far :offtopic
Whats worth more Yellow Banana's or Pink Banana's?

Yeah I thought that was pretty cheap too.
Anyway, seeing as this thread has gone so far :offtopic
Whats worth more Yellow Banana's or Pink Banana's?

Ha! I’m guessing if it was grey or silver it would have been about £3K more. Red is not everyone’s cup of tea but I quite like it on a Cali actually. A fantastic buy for somebody.

Seems I wouldn’t consider a 180 any more than you’d consider a 140 :headbang. The 140 is plenty enough when we, a family of 4, go on long trips through Europe. The 180 is more expensive to maintain in the long run and the engine woes whatever the route cause will likely put future buyers off. I’d take a well maintained vehicle over mileage but would always opt for low mileage if available and maintained.
Those that can Do, and those that cannot always have a reason.

Wow just touching the surface of sensibility.

Thanks for all your replies x

Has honestly helped me

I've just had an email from TfL:

===========

Dear [Amarillo],

There are now just under six months until the introduction of the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), which will help to tackle London’s toxic air.

ULEZ is coming to central London in the same area as the Congestion Charging zone from 8 April 2019. It will operate 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and replace the T-Charge.

All vehicles will need to meet the new stricter emission standards or pay the daily ULEZ charge. This is in addition to the weekday Congestion Charge.

The ULEZ daily charge will be £12.50 for cars, motorcycles and vans (under 3.5 tonnes).

From 25 October 2021, the ULEZ area will be expanded to include the inner London area bounded by the North and South Circular roads.

If your vehicle doesn’t meet the ULEZ standards and you drive within the ULEZ, as an existing Auto Pay customer you will be automatically charged for the ULEZ and the Congestion Charge.

You can avoid the charge by taking public transport, cycling, walking or for essential journeys, use a vehicle that meets the emission standards. This is part of the commitment by the Mayor, Sadiq Khan, and TfL to help Londoners breathe cleaner air.

===========

My T6 150 DSG meets the ULEZ standards. Does the T5 180?

If it isn't, you could always do as Sadiq Khan seems to suggest and tow your vehicle behind your push bike through the ULEZ.

20%? Not much? Wow!

I've just had an email from TfL:

===========

Dear [Amarillo],

There are now just under six months until the introduction of the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), which will help to tackle London’s toxic air.

ULEZ is coming to central London in the same area as the Congestion Charging zone from 8 April 2019. It will operate 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and replace the T-Charge.

All vehicles will need to meet the new stricter emission standards or pay the daily ULEZ charge. This is in addition to the weekday Congestion Charge.

The ULEZ daily charge will be £12.50 for cars, motorcycles and vans (under 3.5 tonnes).

From 25 October 2021, the ULEZ area will be expanded to include the inner London area bounded by the North and South Circular roads.

If your vehicle doesn’t meet the ULEZ standards and you drive within the ULEZ, as an existing Auto Pay customer you will be automatically charged for the ULEZ and the Congestion Charge.

You can avoid the charge by taking public transport, cycling, walking or for essential journeys, use a vehicle that meets the emission standards. This is part of the commitment by the Mayor, Sadiq Khan, and TfL to help Londoners breathe cleaner air.

===========

My T6 150 DSG meets the ULEZ standards. Does the T5 180?

If it isn't, you could always do as Sadiq Khan seems to suggest and tow your vehicle behind your push bike through the ULEZ.
I’ll be on the T7 by 2021, or in my grave so doesn’t bother me.
The T6 meets the standards as they are now, but they will change in the future.

Tbh I'm stretching myself at 40k
Its funny I started off at looking for a vw conversion for around 15k and I'm now at 40k looking for a cali will it ever end ?

I know spending another 4k would make sense. Maybe I should save like mad and wait till spring????

Its funny I started off at looking for a vw conversion for around 15k and I'm now at 40k looking for a cali will it ever end ?

I know spending another 4k would make sense. Maybe I should save like mad and wait till spring????

Cali’s will be more expensive in spring, and they get snapped up very quickly. Now / Christmas / Jan is the best time to buy.

Personally I think any facelift (2010 onwards) will do. The camping interior is the 95% the same, even for new models.

As long as the suspect 180 2010-2011 engines are avoided.

I have a 2014 SE and it’s amazing, i’ve thought of ‘upgrading’ to a T6 Ocean. Apart from wanting DSG and Adaptive Cruise there’s not many reasons for me to upgrade.

2½ years ago I bought a 2007 DSG Tiptronic with lots of extras. It looked like brand new then and apart from a few things that only I seem to notice, people are surprised when I tell them how old it is. Apart from a small problem with aircon fan which was sorted by the dealer (general motorhome dealer) as it was only just out of their warranty, and having to replace the engine battery which was the original one, I've had no problems with it at all.
You don't HAVE to pay £40k for a Cali!

Oh and re the first post - your remark about not supposing it included..whatever... leads me to suppose that you hadn't seen the vehicle in question. And from my experience of buying mine I would say never, ever get really interested in a vehicle you haven't seen (whether private or commercial sale), because it may not even exist, and if it does it may be for sale by someone else! There are literally hundreds of vehicle scams of this type happening, where the scammers steal photos and/or description from someone else's advert. This was largely what led me to buy from a local dealer whose reputation I researched thoroughly.

2½ years ago I bought a 2007 DSG Tiptronic with lots of extras. It looked like brand new then and apart from a few things that only I seem to notice, people are surprised when I tell them how old it is. Apart from a small problem with aircon fan which was sorted by the dealer (general motorhome dealer) as it was only just out of their warranty, and having to replace the engine battery which was the original one, I've had no problems with it at all.
You don't HAVE to pay £40k for a Cali!

Oh and re the first post - your remark about not supposing it included..whatever... leads me to suppose that you hadn't seen the vehicle in question. And from my experience of buying mine I would say never, ever get really interested in a vehicle you haven't seen (whether private or commercial sale), because it may not even exist, and if it does it may be for sale by someone else! There are literally hundreds of vehicle scams of this type happening, where the scammers steal photos and/or description from someone else's advert. This was largely what led me to buy from a local dealer whose reputation I researched thoroughly.
Wise words indeed BG.:thumb

Offer them 37 large mate. Possibly go up to 38. I think they may take that. Your savings will then pay to sort out any issues you find. Most stuff can be fixed using this forums knowledge. Take a cali man with you or the check list off here to help negotiate. Good luck

stop posting scaremongering sh.t ive had a 180 for 5 years with no issues why don,t people focus on the positive rather than the negative all vehicles ever produced have had some sort of issue im bored of this now

It’s well documented.
I personally wouldn’t touch that engine with my hard earned money, so therefore why would I recommend someone else to...?

It would need to be silly cheap before I ever considered it.

It’s well documented.
I personally wouldn’t touch that engine with my hard earned money, so therefore why would I recommend someone else to...?

It would need to be silly cheap before I ever considered it.
All 140s are crap and should be avoided at All Cost and are grossly underpowered.

The evidence for this statement - Oh Dear, can’t find any quality Class 1 evidence, but i’ll Say it anyway.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Go big or go home.