Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED REDUCED!!

I’m not sure they have this only applies to motorhomes apparently and a cali is now an mpv.
To be classed as a motorhome believe it or not it has to have a fixed high roof and outside decals to define it as a motorhome.
Pls correct me if the information I read is wrong
So the California will not ?
Subthree have you asked your dealer what yours will be classed as?
Is there a difference between 'motorhome' and 'motor caravan'???

I wouldn’t think so
Our last cal was motorcarravan on the logbook

I wouldn’t think so
Our last cal was motorcarravan on the logbook

Then I am confused!!! It appears that there is a divergence of opinion on what VED should actually be paid on a Cali NOW, as opposed to what VES should be paid on a Cali registered before 1/04/2020. If a change has been implemented by DVLA, can you apply to have your earlier Cali re-classified to its current 'classification (MPV, PLG, Motrohome....whatever?)

I could be wrong but I don't think the VED on a California will change. It is classed as M1, Diesel Car and Body Type MPV.
The regulations quoted above relate to multi build vehicles where the manufacturer buys in cab chassis or basic vans, before registration, and turns them into campervans/motor homes and then register them. This will affect the big whites and certain camper vans with high top roofs, such as some Westfalia models.
Conversions of registered VW vans etc: can no longer have their body type changed to Camper van unless they fulfill all the requirements.
The California and Marco Polo no longer fulfill the new requirements and hence have Body Type MPV whereas conversions of the Transporter van with a pop top etc: have a Body Type Van with windows.
I could be mistaken but I believe any California registered now will still be M1, Diesel Car and Body Type MPV.

I think the dealers that stated a california will now be a PLG are mistaken.

My view is that this only applies to the Grand, not the Ocean.

In support of this:
1. no one has actually yet had an ocean registered as a PLG since March
2. An Ocean does not comply with the definition of a motor caravan with regard to a high top roof.

Against this:
1. The Ocean current price list suggests this is going to happen
2. VW seem to ignore the rules re the definition - the beach was classified as a motor caravan up till about 2019 despite not complying.

I think the dealers that stated a california will now be a PLG are mistaken.

My view is that this only applies to the Grand, not the Ocean.

In support of this:
1. no one has actually yet had an ocean registered as a PLG since March
2. An Ocean does not comply with the definition of a motor caravan with regard to a high top roof.

Against this:
1. The Ocean current price list suggests this is going to happen
2. VW seem to ignore the rules re the definition - the beach was classified as a motor caravan up till about 2019 despite not complying.

Sure I posted this before, this received to from VWCC.

Dear Mr ++++++++

With regard to your enquiry, I have had further information from sales support, which I have included below.

California and Grand California models are now eligible for private light goods (PLG) and private HGV (PHGV) tax classes, following changes announced in the March 2020 Budget.

PLG (tax class 11) is for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight equal to or less than 3,500kg – making it applicable to California and Grand California 600 3.5-tonne.

PHGV (tax class 10) is for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3,500kg – making it applicable to Grand California 600 3.88-tonne and Grand California 680

I trust this is the information you require.

Kind regards

Customer Relations Advisor

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T 0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

You did post it before & as I said I think they are wrong.

No-one on here since March has had an Ocean registered as PLG in fact the reverse, Jillyfish has had theirs registered on the 20th March as an MPV

Not sure I'm convinced that the Coast and Ocean will be re-classified but the proof will be in the eating of the pudding. JCT600 are just about to register my T6.1 Ocean should be able to confirm when I get the details from them. If it does change then I am going to be a happy bunny, was told in March it would be £2,135 for year 1.

In the current California brochure (1 May 2020) it clearly states VED £270. Hopefully VW have got it right.

Also, a vehicle registered as PLG has a Commercial Class N1, which could be problematic.
According to DVLA
Screenshot_20200520_162806.jpg

I do hope so that would mean £1,865 staying in my bank account, fingers crossed......

I've just e-mailed/asked JCT600 I will let you know their reply.

Because? It is a genuine question, not being sarcastic.
Insurance possibly. Also speed limits for N1 vehicles are less on certain roads. Some Tolls are more for N1 vehicles compared with M1.

Insurance possibly. Also speed limits for N1 vehicles are less on certain roads. Some Tolls are more for N1 vehicles compared with M1.

The limits seem the same as for a car from this link.

You did post it before & as I said I think they are wrong.

No-one on here since March has had an Ocean registered as PLG in fact the reverse, Jillyfish has had theirs registered on the 20th March as an MPV
Ok won’t be the first time I have received duff info from VWCC

Its not the N1 / M1 that dictates speed limits its the body type.

Motor Caravan = car speed limits which is why the aftermarket converters were up in arms last year when the DVLA registration rules changed.

Previously, builders van + pop top+ windows, cooker , bed & tables could have its body type reclassified to Motor Caravan & the speed limits change. Now (according to the rules) it needs a high top not just a pop top.

See extract from below 30th April Revision of the rules:

Motor caravan external permanent features
This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

• 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
  • a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
  • motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
  • an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
  • a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)
An ocean / coast does not comply with the above so shouldn't be registered as a motor Caravan.

The limits seem the same as for a car from this link.
N1 Commercial under 7.5 tons
Screenshot_20200520-165359.jpg
Remember the California no longer meets the DVLA definition of a Campervan/Motor home or Motor Caravan.

But the suggested options are
1. PLG N1 - body type Motor Caravan
2 MPV M1

If MPV car limits apply, If PLG N1 Motor caravan car limits also apply as long as unladen weight is under 3.05tnne

So whichever its registered as , the limit is the same as a car.
National speed limits
Type of vehicleBuilt-up areas mph (km/h)Single carriageways mph (km/h)Dual carriageways mph (km/h)Motorways mph (km/h)
Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)
Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles when towing caravans or trailers30 (48)50 (80)60 (96)60 (96)
Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)

Its not the N1 / M1 that dictates speed limits its the body type.

Motor Caravan = car speed limits which is why the aftermarket converters were up in arms last year when the DVLA registration rules changed.

Previously, builders van + pop top+ windows, cooker , bed & tables could have its body type reclassified to Motor Caravan & the speed limits change. Now (according to the rules) it needs a high top not just a pop top.

See extract from below 30th April Revision of the rules:

Motor caravan external permanent features
This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

• 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
  • a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
  • motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
  • an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
  • a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)
An ocean / coast does not comply with the above so shouldn't be registered as a motor Caravan.
I read that as guidance - it is certainly not a definitive list of requirements.

FYI the reply from JCT600
There is lots of talk about this at the moment, we will confirm when we return to work normally from early June, whilst I can’t promise that the road tax will be £270, there is a strong possibility.

We had the reverse of these discussions about a year ago, as prior to that since about 2012 all cali were M1 Motor Caravans, & it only changed to MPV recently.

But the suggested options are
1. PLG N1 - body type Motor Caravan
2 MPV M1

If MPV car limits apply, If PLG N1 Motor caravan car limits also apply as long as unladen weight is under 3.05tnne

So whichever its registered as , the limit is the same as a car.
National speed limits
Type of vehicleBuilt-up areas mph (km/h)Single carriageways mph (km/h)Dual carriageways mph (km/h)Motorways mph (km/h)
Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)
Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles when towing caravans or trailers30 (48)50 (80)60 (96)60 (96)
Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)
Unfortunately the California does not have the external features of a Motor Caravan according to DVLA.

I could be wrong but I don't think the VED on a California will change. It is classed as M1, Diesel Car and Body Type MPV.
The regulations quoted above relate to multi build vehicles where the manufacturer buys in cab chassis or basic vans, before registration, and turns them into campervans/motor homes and then register them. This will affect the big whites and certain camper vans with high top roofs, such as some Westfalia models.
Conversions of registered VW vans etc: can no longer have their body type changed to Camper van unless they fulfill all the requirements.
The California and Marco Polo no longer fulfill the new requirements and hence have Body Type MPV whereas conversions of the Transporter van with a pop top etc: have a Body Type Van with windows.
I could be mistaken but I believe any California registered now will still be M1, Diesel Car and Body Type MPV.
As per my original posting, I was informed by SMG that the VW configurator showed that the first year VED on an Ocean had reduced to £270 + £55 first registration from May 1st. I didn't inquire what it was classified as. So it seems if your buying new now for a short ownership, you win. Buy one of the ones recently registered with the high VED in a few years, you win.
My problem at 75 is that I've got to live long enough by avoiding Covid 19 for any VED rate to meaningfully affect my finances, should I at that time even notice. No I think I'll worry about more pressing matters, that is will Watford stay up in the Premiership?

Back