Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED REDUCED!!

As per my original posting, I was informed by SMG that the VW configurator showed that the first year VED on an Ocean had reduced to £270 + £55 first registration from May 1st. I didn't inquire what it was classified as. So it seems if your buying new now for a short ownership, you win. Buy one of the ones recently registered with the high VED in a few years, you win.
My problem at 75 is that I've got to live long enough by avoiding Covid 19 for any VED rate to meaningfully affect my finances, should I at that time even notice. No I think I'll worry about more pressing matters, that is will Watford stay up in the Premiership?

No chance, they will be fighting, sorry playing Luton next year

Its not the N1 / M1 that dictates speed limits its the body type.

Motor Caravan = car speed limits which is why the aftermarket converters were up in arms last year when the DVLA registration rules changed.

Previously, builders van + pop top+ windows, cooker , bed & tables could have its body type reclassified to Motor Caravan & the speed limits change. Now (according to the rules) it needs a high top not just a pop top.

See extract from below 30th April Revision of the rules:

Motor caravan external permanent features
This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:

• 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
  • a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
  • motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
  • an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
  • a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)
An ocean / coast does not comply with the above so shouldn't be registered as a motor Caravan.

Separate door? Does that include the sliding door on a VW California? Is this door regarded as access to the living area? I am still confused as to what my 2019 Cali shd be and what VED I shd have to pay when I take it off SORN. When trying this out on DVLA website it asks me to pay £475 (and it says Motor Caravan on the V5C.) So according to what you say above my Cali shd NOT be listed as a motor caravan (depending on the sliding door)

This really does all seem like a minefield, but just to add to the confusion I'll point to a couple of pieces of information from Jerba campervans. (My van's a Jerba Sanna, bought in July 2018 before the change of DVLA definition - so it's a two-stage build i.e. a Transporter converted before first registration, with the V5 having Model = VW Jerba Sanna, Body Type = Motor Caravan, Taxation Class = Private Light Goods. The taxation class came about because it's not possible to know the true emissions figure, but it means I pay £260-ish a year for ever rather than the expensive first 5 years and cheaper rate after that. I'm not sure how that's changed since I bought mine though).

Anyway, I know things have changed and changed again since I bought mine, but looking today on Jerba's websire they have this updated blog about speed limits
https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/motorcaravan-and-campervan-speed-limits/
It suggests that the relevant definition of a motor caravan for speed purposes is not the revamped DVLA one but the one contained in The Motor Vehicles (Type Approval) (Great Britain) Regulations 1979.

And as an extra confusion (not directly to address the speed or taxation issue) it would seem that it's perfectly possible for some pop-top campervans to still qualify for a V5 body type of Motor Caravan - the Jerba models have National Small Series Type Approval and they state "If the converted vehicle passes these tests it will be classified by the DVLA on the V5 ownership document as having a Body Type of Motorcaravan and will fall into the road tax classification of Diesel Car." Elsewhere on the website they say "All of our T6 & T6.1 campervan conversions are fully classified by the DVLA as a motorcaravan" (and only one of them is a high-top, most are pop-top). So it would seem odd to me if a Cali Ocean at least, if maybe not a Beach, couldn't still be given the Motor Caravan body type on its V5?

For what it’s worth, I have had several quotes for. T6.1 ocean from different dealers all quoting the lower VED - as the list price has jumped up by about the same amount as the reduction in VED, I am assuming that VW have an inside track/checked it out with the DVLA

For what it’s worth, I have had several quotes for. T6.1 ocean from different dealers all quoting the lower VED - as the list price has jumped up by about the same amount as the reduction in VED, I am assuming that VW have an inside track/checked it out with the DVLA
VWCC Qualified that to me the other day.

One would have thought so, but they were taken by surprise, and didn’t object when California Oceans were suddenly registered as MPVs rather than Campervan/Motorhome Caravan last year.

This really does all seem like a minefield, but just to add to the confusion I'll point to a couple of pieces of information from Jerba campervans. (My van's a Jerba Sanna, bought in July 2018 before the change of DVLA definition - so it's a two-stage build i.e. a Transporter converted before first registration, with the V5 having Model = VW Jerba Sanna, Body Type = Motor Caravan, Taxation Class = Private Light Goods. The taxation class came about because it's not possible to know the true emissions figure, but it means I pay £260-ish a year for ever rather than the expensive first 5 years and cheaper rate after that. I'm not sure how that's changed since I bought mine though).

Anyway, I know things have changed and changed again since I bought mine, but looking today on Jerba's websire they have this updated blog about speed limits
https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/motorcaravan-and-campervan-speed-limits/
It suggests that the relevant definition of a motor caravan for speed purposes is not the revamped DVLA one but the one contained in The Motor Vehicles (Type Approval) (Great Britain) Regulations 1979.

And as an extra confusion (not directly to address the speed or taxation issue) it would seem that it's perfectly possible for some pop-top campervans to still qualify for a V5 body type of Motor Caravan - the Jerba models have National Small Series Type Approval and they state "If the converted vehicle passes these tests it will be classified by the DVLA on the V5 ownership document as having a Body Type of Motorcaravan and will fall into the road tax classification of Diesel Car." Elsewhere on the website they say "All of our T6 & T6.1 campervan conversions are fully classified by the DVLA as a motorcaravan" (and only one of them is a high-top, most are pop-top). So it would seem odd to me if a Cali Ocean at least, if maybe not a Beach, couldn't still be given the Motor Caravan body type on its V5?
As you have stated Jerba vehicles are 2 stage builds and are then registered on the M1SP Motor Caravan Approval basis, unlike the California which is M1 .

There are interesting times ahead.

The British Van Conversion Industry got organised on the Political front in getting the VED classification changed which VW didn't do when the Cali got reclassified as an MPV.
The Grand California would obviously have been put at a sales disadvantage as would the California Ocean/Coast range.
If as appears to be the case the Cali range is now subject to lower VED rates it would be thanks to the alternative Campervan Industry.

This may be linked to the dropping of the Beach model. Probably never know for sure.

Just points for discussion or thought, as @WelshGas says interesting times ahead.

And the saga continues, now that JCT600 are back up and running, of sorts, I phoned to find out about the VED and when I can pick the new beast up. Apparently they will have to apply for the VED by snail mail to get the new price of £270 and this could take 2-3 weeks. If they apply online it's still at the higher price!!!! Looks like I have to wait a little longer to join the owners club!!

Spooky just received this today following my enquiry to VWCC relating to the California and the Grand California.

Was just about to post then saw yours.

Reference Grand California

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx.

With regard to your enquiry, I have had further information from sales support, which I have included below.

California and Grand California models are now eligible for private light goods (PLG) and private HGV (PHGV) tax classes, following changes announced in the March 2020 Budget.

PLG (tax class 11) is for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight equal to or less than 3,500kg – making it applicable to California and Grand California 600 3.5-tonne.

PHGV (tax class 10) is for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3,500kg – making it applicable to Grand California 600 3.88-tonne and Grand California 680

I trust this is the information you require.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Customer Relations Advisor

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T
0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk
Hello Will,
Just found this post of yours after querying VED with Dealer.
Can you confirm that your GC680 is registered as a PHGV. What is the cost of first registration? What is the current annual VED?
Alan

Hello Will,
Just found this post of yours after querying VED with Dealer.
Can you confirm that your GC680 is registered as a PHGV. What is the cost of first registration? What is the current annual VED?
Alan
Morning Alan,

Yes the GC 680 is registered as PHGV and annual VED is £165, away at the moment so cant look up first reg. But wasn’t shocked as I recall like my Ocean £1850.

Will

Morning Alan,

Yes the GC 680 is registered as PHGV and annual VED is £165, away at the moment so cant look up first reg. But wasn’t shocked as I recall like my Ocean £1850.

Will
Thanks for your swift reply. I need to speak with dealer again. Due to collect 680 on Friday, I want to check what he intends to register the vehicle as.
Alan

Thanks for your swift reply. I need to speak with dealer again. Due to collect 680 on Friday, I want to check what he intends to register the vehicle as.
Alan
Good call as they sometimes get it wrong, and will be messy to revert.

how are you enjoying your 680?
Alan
Wish I had chosen this first before the 600. The highlands are a good testing ground. The only failed to date is. The Thule step. Bloody tight of the dealer not to do the sockets.

Will

Wish I had chosen this first before the 600. The highlands are a good testing ground. The only failed to date is. The Thule step. Bloody tight of the dealer not to do the sockets.

Will
When mine turned up at the dealer yesterday, the first thing I asked him to check was the step.
Is it too early in the season for midges? We want to do some more touring in Scotland once we collect the van. We'll just keep an eye on the weather before we decide North or South. Enjoy the rest of your tour.
Alan

When mine turned up at the dealer yesterday, the first thing I asked him to check was the step.
Is it too early in the season for midges? We want to do some more touring in Scotland once we collect the van. We'll just keep an eye on the weather before we decide North or South. Enjoy the rest of your tour.
Alan
Alan, midges apparently start mid to end of May till early September, none here yet. It’s been raining pretty much all the time here since we arrived, this afternoon was the first warmth and sun since we got here 2nd May. If you decid its to late you Could as you say do though then September head north.

Will

Back