Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW bike rack options

mchbiker

mchbiker

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We got our T6 Ocean in March '16 and held off getting the rack until we needed it. The time is now upon us. Plan was to get VW version fitted by them (minimal hassle for me). I was aware of all the controversy at T6 launch of the "ugly new rack".

VW have offered me two different versions, The first being the original T6 unit. The second one, slightly more expensive is said to spread the weight on the tailgate more and is suitable for powered tailgates although they said it was ok with a normal one. Fitted the price difference is less than £20 so no issue there.

As anyone either bought the 2nd one or can offer any thoughts or experience?

T6 rack
upload_2017-9-11_13-37-14.png
I think this revised one is more similar to the T5 rack?
upload_2017-9-11_13-38-20.png

I have had both. The T5 for the T5.1, and now the T6 for our T6.

Looks is a matter of taste. My personal preference is, that I actually like both the look and the usability of the new T6 model. The design suits the lines of the T6 better IMO. But more important: The straps and arms work better on the T6 type. It is easier to mount bikes on it than it was on the T5 model. But I am unaware if these things are changed on the new T5 version. I have not tried this model in real life, so can only compare the old T5 to the new T6 model.

Btw. I meet nice family from Switzerland on our trip to Croatia. They had a black edition made by a small Swiz garage. It looked so nice in their indium grey Beach. But they do not ship and were out of stock. So no Blackie for me … still dreaming of it ;-)

I have had both. The T5 for the T5.1, and now the T6 for our T6.

Looks is a matter of taste. My personal preference is, that I actually like both the look and the usability of the new T6 model. The design suits the lines of the T6 better IMO. But more important: The straps and arms work better on the T6 type. It is easier to mount bikes on it than it was on the T5 model. But I am unaware if these things are changed on the new T5 version. I have not tried this model in real life, so can only compare the old T5 to the new T6 model.

Btw. I meet nice family from Switzerland on our trip to Croatia. They had a black edition made by a small Swiz garage. It looked so nice in their indium grey Beach. But they do not ship and were out of stock. So no Blackie for me … still dreaming of it ;-)

I bought a brand new vw rack for my t5 Kombi and disassembled it (not for the faint hearted) then took it and had it anodise in black
Looks stunning very sad it won't fit my new t6 that's on order,
although I wonder what's actually different I know the shape of the tailgate is different hence the fixings will be a sharper shape to suit the t6 but if this is all maybe I can just buy the t6 plastic fixings from vw????
..so much nicer looking black they do the awning and rails in black and it's actually cheaper than in silver but looks so much nicer they should give you options on the bike rack..also the alloys don't age in the black.as my rack has been on 12 months and still looks new

I bought a brand new vw rack for my t5 Kombi and disassembled it (not for the faint hearted) then took it and had it anodise in black
although I wonder what's actually different I know the shape of the tailgate is different hence the fixings will be a sharper shape to suit the t6 but if this is all maybe I can just buy the t6 plastic fixings from vw????
..so much nicer looking black they do the awning and rails in black and it's actually cheaper than in silver but looks so much nicer they should give you options on the bike rack..also the alloys don't age in the black.as my rack has been on 12 months and still looks new

I heard about that. I think more in here have gone that way. As far as I recall from the earlier threads, it's only the four attaching points that have changed.

How did you replace the black rivets? They look quite odd and hard to find I guess …

How did you replace the black rivets? They look quite odd and hard to find I guess …
There rivnuts that hold the cross bars to the frame,
You have to very carefully drill them out trying not to make the hole any larger so you can replace them with the same 6mm rivnuts when it's been anodised ever bitbof metal or plastic has to be removed

IMG_7322.JPG

View attachment 25700

You have to very carefully drill them out trying not to make the hole any larger so you can replace them with the same 6mm rivnuts when it's been anodised ever bitbof metal or plastic has to be removed

Dunno why it put the text in twice uhh.better at pulling bike racks apart than I am at typing on my iPhone ;)

Back