Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

Small blisters appeared along the roof section near the gutter rails. Booked in, along with a MOT and Service early July. I shall go armed with this forum so as to cut through any avoidance techniques should they try and use them.

I'll add my vote once I get some feedback from VW. Mine is a 2009 Cali.

Cheers Barry

My valeter has just pointed out bubbles front AND REAR!

Graham (Susibus)

Fantastic letter and I would like to thank everyone for their effort in collating the information and particularly the letter.

MANY THANKS

Just bought 10 reg California on 30 May. There is blistering and we knew that when bought but there was a repair authorisation dated 9 May when paint levels had been checked and were normal, so merrily went, on 7 June, to VW locally to organise repair. VW local checked depth of paint and said high indicating that whole roof and front leading edge had had a paint job. But we had authorisation and they said bring it in for repair. Now, today, VW Customer Care say that either paint levels on 9 May were wrong or 'somebody' painted roof as a cover up between 9th May and when we took it to VW on 7 June. :crazy

Will let you know outcome. Supposed to be going on holiday next week to bonnie Scotland!

Many thanks to Graham (Susibus) for all his work.

So sadly it looks like you can add me to the growing list of blistering roof victims. My 2009 Cali is going in on Monday to have the initial inspection for a warranty claim. Thanks to this forum, I gave my roof a thorough inspection only to discover the start of the blistering on the front panel. I also have 2 blisters on the roof at the rear near to the trim. Very annoying as my Cali is garaged and I polish the roof quite regularly. I'll keep you informed how I get on. :doh

Annoyingly it appears I am developing the issue with the rotary knob on the Control Panel too, so they will be assessing that. :headbang

Martin

Got my 2010 California back with the blistering paintwork along the width where the rubber strip of the roof meets and it would appear that VW recommend a clear strip of plastic is fitted the whole length after respecting the panel. Lets hope this works!

I have found blistering under the rubber trim off side rear. It could have been hiding there for some time. I (wrongly) reported my van as unaffected at COTF

On my late 2010 Cali too ... Inside the gutter where the roof butts on to the panel above the windscreen.

Well after an 8 week delay VW have rejected my warranty claim (and my appeal) claiming its due to external damage :headbang :headbang :headbang .
Only options they are giving me now are to have it inspected by at my cost (min £168) which they will then re-inburse if the report says it is due to perforation, or to appeal to the dealer I bought it from to get it repaired under a good will gesture. The so called approved used warranty doesn't include paintwork defects and I obviously should have taken a ladder with me to closely inspect the roof for any faults. Not at all impressed with Cali ownership at the moment. Buying a VW converted & approved vehicle was suppost to avoid these issues.
Has anyone else with bubbling in the middle of the panel had it repaired under warranty? Also any idea how much a repair to this area would cost anyway. Got to decide if I want to go down the inspection route (would have to be with their nominated inspector) or just get it sorted.
Would a stonechip cause this sort of bubbling anyway? (pic on page 10 of this thread).

Need to book mine on too. Over three years old but hoping the 12 year corrosion warranty will cover it. Now to find a decent Cali friendly VW body shop with suitable experience near home.

ChrisandPenney52 said:
I have found blistering under the rubber trim off side rear. It could have been hiding there for some time. I (wrongly) reported my van as unaffected at COTF

I haven't completed the poll yet because I haven't spoken to VW. In the light of the ongoing discussions, can anyone advise if I should contact my dealer now to register the issue or wait for some sort of outcome from the ongoing action? I'm not sure if blistering at the back is part of the 'Manufacturing Fault' issue, part of the 12 year bodywork warranty or if I'm on my own? I have a good relationship with my Van Centre (not a Lifestyle dealer), but they admit to knowing nothing about Californias so are not likely to have confronted this issue yet.

Van is a 2008 pre-facelift.

I ploughed through all 1288 posts on roof corrosion on this German forum (thanks to Google Translate!):
http://www.caliboard.de/showthread.php?2069
Letter to VW management & report of meeting:
http://www.caliboard.de/showthread.php? ... ener+brief

It seems clear that:
- VW admit the problem
- VW have changed parts & procedure in production from about April 2013
- VW-Germany have a VERY detailed repair procedure in place & only trust 32 specially-trained & equipped centres to carry it out
- German customers now (at last) find their complaints accepted & fixed, with apparently complete satisfaction, though no proof of long-term success, of course.

In UK, you seem to be some way along that road, but maybe not yet as far as in Germany?

Here in France, we are still at the stage of dealers rejecting corrosion due to imagined stone damage etc...

I don't yet have visible corrosion on my new Cali, but maybe sometime soon?

Before then, I would like to get the French dealer network up to the level of their German counterparts.

Can anybody help, with better details of the German repair procedure - references, titles, content, etc etc?
I failed to get enough solid information via Google Translate, so really need some first-hand information!

Thanks for any help!

We have had approval this morning but Manchester are backed up with two already in! Been told it's a three week process, whole roof off. She said not all dealers are doing what Manchester do to fix problem. She said she would try and get full repair details for me.

Hi 2cv67,

I live in Germany and bought a new German California about 6 months ago.
I am not affected yet but have followed the discussions in the German Caliboard very thoroughly.

You have already found the main issues on this topic regarding the situation in Germany status May/June 2013.
Earlier I described the status of the situation in Germany . See my post of 23 May.
Very important : only specially trained repair shops can repair the blistering paint work of your California.
These trained repair shops do the job exactly according a specific VW procedure. All repairs that are not done according this procedure and not done by these specially trained repair shops are worthless.
Some German California owners who did not repair according the above procedure had to have a second repair :headbang .

The exact repair procedure is documented by VW and is not public I think. This procedure is a changing procedure with revisions so repairs should be done according the latest revision.

I think you need to contact your VW Group/Services in France and convince them, only they can help you with the correct repair procedure and take care of trained repair shops, Find some affected French California owners . Write a letter to the responsible service people just like the UK members did here and the German Caliboard members . Refer to the German and UK Letters.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards Bart

Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Panel

This is one thread I did not want to join. But I have just found blisters on the roof panel just above the drivers door. 2012 Dark Wood.
I have just contacted the dealer but would appreciate guidance on where to go in the West Midlands to get the best result. Manchester is within reach.

And of course our holiday starts very shortly.......... :headbang

Roof paint issue thread?!

Booked mine in for the 29th July and they need it for a week. I can't find the thread on this; has anything happened since I was away? It's looking pretty bad now!!

Good news, visited VW Hereford today for Service, MOT and roof inspection. They have agreed, with no fuss, to fix the roof under the 12 year body work warranty. They contacted VW who approved the work. I have not been able to speak directly to the bodywork expert to understand what work they are carrying out, but fingers crossed this is not just a respray and patch up job!

Again, VW Hereford have delivered an excellent service, I can thoroughly recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello,

it does not help you but maybe interesting to know.

Today one of the German board members published a list( address + website) of the 34 specially trained and equipped workshops to repair the cauliflower of the roof.
They are well distributed throughout Germany.

regards
Bart

Bart. A copy of the list or at least a link to it would be very useful please.

Re: Roof paint issue thread?!

dmccarr1 said:
Kernowlad did you book into India queens VW?
I did.

Bit of a faff but got there in the end.