Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Re: POLL: Roof Paintwork Issues

Freeley said:
Andy said:
beardie

Perhaps a European Cali owner can comment if there is a wider European problem.

Yes the problem is on european calis as well. German forum has a list of around 100 calis from 2007 to date with the problem.
So pre facelifts are affected as well then?
I was thinking it was only the GP cali that was prone to it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Oh yes. Some pr-facelifts at cotf have the problem. So it is by no means a new problem !

Andy said:
Freeley said:
Andy said:
beardie

Perhaps a European Cali owner can comment if there is a wider European problem.

Yes the problem is on european calis as well. German forum has a list of around 100 calis from 2007 to date with the problem.
So pre facelifts are affected as well then?
I was thinking it was only the GP cali that was prone to it

Oh yes. Some pr-facelifts at cotf have the problem. So it is by no means a new problem !
Oh dear. And there was me feeling all smug! Think mine's ok but well have a closer look now.

My vehicle which is 14 months old has the same problem mainly on the drivers side

Just checked mine carefully; FOUR areas where paint is bubbling.

A little concerned it may spread further...

It sounds like it's been fixed on new 2013 vans.... does anyone know if any VW dealerships are offering this as a fix to existing vans with th problem?

Thanks
Dave

I had my roof repaired last september and now it is going back in next month as more bubbling paint has been found, this time along the ridge where the folding roof meets.

Dave_T said:
It sounds like it's been fixed on new 2013 vans.... does anyone know if any VW dealerships are offering this as a fix to existing vans with th problem?

Thanks
Dave

They will be doing on mine...

I've been told today that its a known problem and that the panel needs re-bonding, I need to take it in for assessment for warranty approval :crazy

Oh and Vw Manchester has done 7/8 under warranty already :?

:help

Bigbug, who has told you that the panel needs re-bonding?

We are currently in discussions with Customer Care, and have written to the MD of VW Group and the Director of VW Commerical Vehicles about this problem. Customer Care are saying that although this may be the fix available in Germany, it is not the fix authorised under warranty for UK customers at present. We are strongly arguing that if it has now been identified as the way to cure the problem, it should also be available to UK Cali owners. I will post more about this later when I get time.

Please get back to us because if someone in VW is actually saying that the panel needs re-bonding, then we want to get back to Customer Care and the other VW bigwigs to tell them.

Thanks

Graham
Susibus

Sales from Sheffield spoke to someone in Manchester, I'm waiting for them to get in contact with me to arrange the inspection. I'll let you know what he says when I speak to him.

SusiBus said:
:help

Bigbug, who has told you that the panel needs re-bonding?

We are currently in discussions with Customer Care, and have written to the MD of VW Group and the Director of VW Commerical Vehicles about this problem. Customer Care are saying that although this may be the fix available in Germany, it is not the fix authorised under warranty for UK customers at present. We are strongly arguing that if it has now been identified as the way to cure the problem, it should also be available to UK Cali owners. I will post more about this later when I get time.

Please get back to us because if someone in VW is actually saying that the panel needs re-bonding, then we want to get back to Customer Care and the other VW bigwigs to tell them.

Thanks

Graham
Susibus

Bigbud said:
I've been told today that its a known problem and that the panel needs re-bonding, I need to take it in for assessment for warranty approval :crazy

Big bud. Are you actually having the assessment and rectification carried out by VW Manchester? They are my nearest agent and it would be nice to know that they are on the ball. Can you keep me upto date with your outcome, satisfaction or otherwise.
Thanks

Email today;

Dear Mr Sutherland,

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Customer Care in relation to the roof of your Volkswagen California.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the issues you are experiencing with bubbling paintwork on the roof of your vehicle. We
investigate each vehicle issue on an individual basis, regardless of the circumstances.

In the first instance you are required to book your vehicle in at your local Volkswagen Van Centre for investigation and
diagnosis. If a manufacturing defect is confirmed, the necessary arrangements will be made to repair your vehicle under the
terms and conditions of your vehicles warranty.

We are unable to discuss other California owners vehicles directly with you due to Data Protection Laws but we are more than
happy to discuss any concerns that anyone has in relation to their own vehicle.

With reference to a recall, this would only take place on any Volkswagen Commercial vehicle if there is a safety related concern
with a specific chassis range. We are unaware of any safety related concerns with regards to the paintwork issue on your vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Kind regards

Fiona Bruce
Customer Relations Manager
Executive Office
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles
Tel Number: 0800 783 4909
E-mail: customercare@vwcv.co.uk

I then called; any repair gets its own three year warranty but I still think we need better.

HistoryBob said:
Bigbud said:

Big bud. Are you actually having the assessment and rectification carried out by VW Manchester? They are my nearest agent and it would be nice to know that they are on the ball. Can you keep me upto date with your outcome, satisfaction or otherwise.
Thanks
It will be Manchester, only 5 mins away from us. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hello,

As you know the blistering roof paint (cauliflower) is a big issue (in Germany, UK etc). In August 2009 the German Caliboard forum started a thread which has got so big now that last week one of its members wrote a short overview for newcomers to this cauliflower problem. As far as I know this solution is only valid in Germany but it might be useful information for you too, so I have translated it for you.

Overview of corrosion damage on the roof , status May 2013 in Germany:

1) The Corrosion damage is recognized by VW for cars not older than 6 years. This has nothing to do with warranty and the body or paintwork protection warranty. If VW approves the repair they will bear the costs.
2) Only 22 specially trained repair shops in Germany are allowed to carry out this repair (exchange of the RCB Module). The list of these certified repair shops is not yet published.
3) You can complain about the blistering roof paint damage to your normal dealer. They will then document the damage with pictures and send it to VW. After the Repair approval from VW, your dealer must send everything (Repair approval and documentation) to one of the 22 certified repair shops. Your car will be transported to this certified repair shop and after successful repair it is transported back to your dealer.

regards
Bart

Thanks Bart :thumb

This backs up the case we have already presented on behalf of UK Cali owners to the MD of VW Group and the Director of VW Commercial Vehicles that the current UK repair is not satisfactory and as there is now a new repair procedure in Germany, this should now become the approved repair for Cali owners in the UK also. We are still awaiting a reply from VW.

Please keep us informed if you gain any further information because it is important for us to get accurate facts from Germany which may be very useful in our future discussions with VW UK.

:hello
I will inform you as soon as I have more significant information for you about the roof problem.

Cheers Bart.

My posts on the subject appear to be invisible.

SusiBus said:
Thanks Bart :thumb

This backs up the case we have already presented on behalf of UK Cali owners to the MD of VW Group and the Director of VW Commercial Vehicles that the current UK repair is not satisfactory and as there is now a new repair procedure in Germany, this should now become the approved repair for Cali owners in the UK also. We are still awaiting a reply from VW.

Please keep us informed if you gain any further information because it is important for us to get accurate facts from Germany which may be very useful in our future discussions with VW UK.

Least it looks like you / we maybe getting somewhere ...
Any help needed shout ..!! :)

All, I have likewise discovered the dreaded blistering paint work - see photo. I've been in touch with my local dealer and VW UK - Customer Services who have stated that they will repair it under warranty. They have informed me that one of the solutions apart from the necessary paint work repair is to change out the awning gutter rails at the front? I'm a little bit reluctant given that this will involve a complete strip out of the cab roof lining, electrics, side pillars etc., the van is mint and all works fine - I just see a never ending battle ahead getting things corrected post the repair. I'd appreciate if anyone out there has had such work done? Mallo

mallo said:
All, I have likewise discovered the dreaded blistering paint work - see photo. I've been in touch with my local dealer and VW UK - Customer Services who have stated that they will repair it under warranty. They have informed me that one of the solutions apart from the necessary paint work repair is to change out the awning gutter rails at the front? I'm a little bit reluctant given that this will involve a complete strip out of the cab roof lining, electrics, side pillars etc., the van is mint and all works fine - I just see a never ending battle ahead getting things corrected post the repair. I'd appreciate if anyone out there has had such work done? Mallo

Hi I had my roof blistering paint repaired last year. It is going in again for blistering in a different part of the roof next month!

When they change the gutter rails what they did to mine was just very slightly put a gap between the end piece and the gutter rail (approx 1mm) I think this is to stop water collecting and staying in the gutter rail.

Please, no more horror stories about bad repairs, mine is in the repair shop as we speak, having the bubbling sorted :eek: It's worse than when we were waiting for a daughter to be born :shocked

Andy

Mine is also in the repair shop being done at the moment hopefully it will be fully sorted this time

march 2012 new DSG 180

Hello,

very important:
2) Only 22 specially trained repair shops in Germany are allowed to carry out this repair

Some German board members had their roofs repaired at a repair shop that was not specially trained and they have roof problems again :sad

regards from France (Holiday :D )
Bart

Back