Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

777111 said:
Great idea!

And yes, a sticky of current status and a true diagnosis of the issue(s) would seem a good plan.

Moderator - is this possible please?

Exactly what Martin said is being done !!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

:sad
Well almost inevitably I'm waiting to hear re bubbling paintwork on my 11 plate Cali!
VW Tonbridge very helpful, explained whats been going on since reported it a few months ago.
Contact on Monday, then will wait for them to collect on low loader to repair over 2 weeks in Cantebury!!
Plus side is been told I'll have a Cali as a replacement vehicle for the duration.
:headbang
Gutting, hopefully won't happen again and if it does will they repair again?!! I wonder?
Paul

Andy said:
777111 said:
Great idea!

And yes, a sticky of current status and a true diagnosis of the issue(s) would seem a good plan.

Moderator - is this possible please?

Exactly what Martin said is being done !!

He posted before I did by about 30seconds ( note the time).

That will certainly tidy this up a good deal.

Thanks for the efforts as appropriate.

Simon

Martin said:
Andy is currently gathering all the most up to date information for us, it will then be posted as a locked sticky post.
Great! Thanks!

As I mentioned before, our German colleagues are a good 6 months ahead in this deal.
There is a ton of information on caliboard.de in this thread with over 1900 posts & lots of photos in the first post: http://www.caliboard.de/showthread.php?2069

Finding information in that thread is very hard & I want to ask them to group the main facts in a 'Sticky' too, but my German isn't up to it & I didn't like the results I got via Google Translate.

So would anybody volunteer to give me a German translation of what I want to post on caliboard.de?

I think it could help everybody, to benchmark treatment in various countries.

Thanks!

What I want to say:

Hello!

I am English, I live in France & I don't speak much German...
I have to look at the forum via Google Translate!

Congratulations for all your hard work on the roof-spoiler corrosion problem.
The situation in Germany now seems pretty good.
In other countries it is not so good yet.
We need to follow your example.
But it is very difficult to find clear information in your 1900+ messages!

Would it be possible to have an up-to-date summary of the main facts somewhere?
Maybe as a "Sticky" or as a special notice?
I think that would help your normal readers, as well as us visitors.

We would like to know:
1. The symptoms (Bubbles under paint on roof-spoiler panel between windscreen & lifting roof? A few photos?)
2. The cause (Electrolytic corrosion between steel & aluminium?)
3. The repair (Completely new panel made from new alloy & new paint method? New sealing system? Complete list of all the work?)
4. Which vehicles are potentially affected (All T5 Californias prior to VINxxx build date xx/xx/2013?)
5. Which vehicles are accepted for repair (3/6/12 years old? All T5?)
6. How to report the problem (Contact local dealer? Dealer sends photos to VW for approval?)
7. What happens then (Rapid approval? Several months waiting list for work?)
8. Details of work (Vehicle carried from dealer to workshop so no driving? Replacement California? How long does job take? New bellows? What else is replaced?)
9. Is there a VW name or code number for this repair?
10. How long is the new repair garanteed?

Thank you very much for your help!

PaulS. said:
Well almost inevitably I'm waiting to hear re bubbling paintwork on my 11 plate Cali!
VW Tonbridge very helpful, explained whats been going on since reported it a few months ago.
Contact on Monday, then will wait for them to collect on low loader to repair over 2 weeks in Cantebury!!
Plus side is been told I'll have a Cali as a replacement vehicle for the duration.
Gutting, hopefully won't happen again and if it does will they repair again?!! I wonder?
Paul

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't think it will be repaired in Canterbury.
The four authorised repair centres are

Heritage- Bristol
Benfield- Newcastle
AB Crush- Dover
Shorada- Cannock

Andy said:
PaulS. said:
Paul

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't think it will be repaired in Canterbury.
The four authorised repair centres are

Heritage- Bristol
Benfield- Newcastle
AB Crush- Dover
Shorada- Cannock

To be fair AB Crush are at Wootton, about half way between Canterbury and Dover.

Oh dear... oh dear.... my lovely 2011 cali has the dreaded lurgy too... Just been giving it a good spring clean and found blistering in the common place on front roof panel near the gutter. Damn and blast. Just been trying to read this thread to sus out next steps and advise. I can't find the summary. Can anyone point me to it?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

MisterTea said:
Oh dear... oh dear.... my lovely 2011 cali has the dreaded lurgy too... Just been giving it a good spring clean and found blistering in the common place on front roof panel near the gutter. Damn and blast. Just been trying to read this thread to sus out next steps and advise. I can't find the summary. Can anyone point me to it?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Summary is not posted yet, still awaiting final decision / permission.

Going back to the page before last - not sure it is helpful but this is all too familar to me as I have had very similar issues on another car that may be of interest. That car was a Renault (Avantime) that had a part aluminium roof structure as well. It suffered similar bubbling on the aluminium sections of the roof.

The net was that its was caused by the electro-chemical reaction described on pg 43. Of more interest may be that Renault seemed to accept that this was 'through-corrosion' not a painwork defect and the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty therefore applied. They kept repairing cars though this period as long as they had the Renault stamps (via inspections) required to keep the anti-corrosion warranty in place. (Have not looked to see if the same applies to the California?).

Also in regard the main roof panel on the California - although other paintwork issues may apply it is important to factor in that most rubber seals have a steel clip structure within them. Therefore if the bubbling is near the roof edge (as it seems to be reading the posts) it may well be caused by this electro-chemical reaction. This was part of the problem on the Renault.

Not sure if that helps or confuses!

Steve.

RidetheBulli said:
Hi,
Im member in caliboard, which informations you'll need?
Thanks for your offer!

The information I want is what I mentioned in my previous post:

1. The symptoms (Bubbles under paint on roof-spoiler panel between windscreen & lifting roof? A few photos?)
2. The cause (Electrolytic corrosion between steel & aluminium?)
3. The repair (Completely new panel made from new alloy & new paint method? New sealing system? Complete list of all the work?)
4. Which vehicles are potentially affected (All T5 Californias prior to VINxxx build date xx/xx/2013?)
5. Which vehicles are accepted for repair (3/6/12 years old? All T5?)
6. How to report the problem (Contact local dealer? Dealer sends photos to VW for approval?)
7. What happens then (Rapid approval? Several months waiting list for work?)
8. Details of work (Vehicle carried from dealer to workshop so no driving? Replacement California? How long does job take? New bellows? What else is replaced?)
9. Is there a VW name or code number for this repair?
10. How long is the new repair garanteed?

But I would really like to find the answers all together in some "official" place on the caliboard.de site, and preferable kept updated, so anybody, in Germany, UK, France (or elsewhere) has a good reference point for requesting & insisting on equivalent treatment.
Without this, we all risk getting the usual "must be stone chipping" or "it's out of garantee" or "no, of course you can't have a free replacement California during the repair" - don't you think?
That's why I want to submit that request to caliboard.de (I am a member).
But I absolutely need a half-decent translation first!

Thanks!

good day

below please find my German translation - many thanks for taking the lead on this. Although German being my mother tong after some 30 years its a little rusty ... (or blistering around the edges) - good luck and greetings to all "Enten Fahrer" everywhere posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=4132#

+++

1. Die Entstehung und die Symptome der Blasen die sich auf dem Dachspoiler bilden (ein paar Fotos?)
2. Der Grund des Problems (Elektrode Analysis zwischen Stahl und Aluminium)
3. Die Reparatur (Völlig neuer Dachspoiler aus Aluminium und eine neue Farbspritzmethode
ein neues Dichtungssystem? Komplette Liste aller Arbeiten?
4. Welche Fahrzeuge sind im allgemeinen betroffen (Alle T5 California’s vor VIN .... hergestellt vom Datum xxxx 2013)
5. Welche Fahrzeuge sind für die Reparatur akzeptiert (3/6/12 Jahre alt? Alle T5?)
6. Wie wurde das Problem an VW gemeldet (Über den Händler? Händler schickt Fotos für Bestätigung an VW)
7. Was passiert dann (schnelle Bearbeitung der Reparatur oder mehrere Monate Wartezeit?)
8. Einzelheiten über die Reparatur (Fahrzeug vom Händler an den Spezialisten gebracht? Wird ein Ersatz California gestellt?
Wie lange dauert die Reparatur? Wird ein neues Zelt eingebaut? Was wird sonst noch ersetzt?)
9. Gibt es einen besonderen VW Namen oder einen Code für diese Reparatur ?
10. Wie lange ist die neue Reparatur garantiert?

+++

M

With many thanks to Shrimper, I have managed to post on the Caliboard.de forum, requesting a Sticky or Notice to pull together their know-how on this problem.

http://www.caliboard.de/showthread.php? ... post101906
(post #1915)

If it produces any useful results, I will let you know...

Nope this is the same panel. Should be covered by warranty no matter what because it is such a common fault & well documented.

:bananadance

Re: Blistering paintwork, on panel above windscreen.

Thanks for consolidating the information on this Andy.

I received a call from VW UK the other day, on hearing who it was I was expecting them to offer me a date for the repair, but alas they were just confirming my details! I asked if there was any estimate of when the repair would be undertaken, but they still had absolutely no idea.

Andy said:
Post March 2013 build Californias appear to have been built with the fix in place.

Again, my information is that the Post March 2013 change (addition of a gasket and better sealing) has turned out not to be a complete fix. The metallurgy of the roof panel has now been changed (it was causing poor paint adhesion) and this only went into effect in production early 2014 (and is perhaps partly why the repair process has taken so long to get going).

Simon

shambly said:
Andy said:
Post March 2013 build Californias appear to have been built with the fix in place.

Again, my information is that the Post March 2013 change (addition of a gasket and better sealing) has turned out not to be a complete fix. The metallurgy of the roof panel has now been changed (it was causing poor paint adhesion) and this only went into effect in production early 2014 (and is perhaps partly why the repair process has taken so long to get going).

Simon

So it sounds like they may also be changing the full roof panels & yes probably goes some way to explaining the delay in getting the repair process started.
My Cali has blistering on the edge of roof panel under the rubber seal which Customer Services say will be repaired at same time.

I too had a contact call from VW customer services in the last two weeks,initially to update me on the solutions that VW were trying to come up with the ' steering knock' defect. I pointed out that of all the faults my Cali has had, that wasn't one of them!

Customer services then rattled out a prepared response on the blistering paintwork, so I too awaiting a call for a fix date.

Andy said:
shambly said:
Andy said:
Post March 2013 build Californias appear to have beeen built with the fix in place.

Simon

So it sounds like they may also be changing the full roof panels & yes probably goes some way to explaining the delay in getting the repair process started.
My Cali has blistering on the edge of roof panel under the rubber seal which Customer Services say will be repaired at same time.

Yes, that might well be the case and is as I was originally told by a third party dealer, but later contradicted by an actual VW dealer! I for one have always suspected bad paint adhesion but this is at best a rather ambiguous response from VW.
Seems inappropriate to rely on further speculation, so why not approach VW for a more meaningful and honest response so that everyone can get an idea of whether they are likely to be affected and what remedial work is due e.g. entire roof respray, new front panel , gasket etc etc.
Oh for some clarity from this manufacturer.......

Heritage- Bristol
Benfield- Newcastle
AB Crush- Dover
Shorada- Cannock

I have just noticed a slight bit of corrosion on our natural grey 2010 California so I pooped into Bristol Heritage and they told me they are not dealing with the problem and suggested I contact Westbury Wilts Centre.

Has anyone else had this response or are they trying to pass the buck?

Andrew.

Thanks for the update. We have logged our corrosion problem with local dealer at Exeter and are waiting for them to let us know when it will be fixed. They have not told us how this will be done, but have said the roof will be taken off. Are you able to let us know how the roof will be put right please? It is interesting that VW aren't recalling all Californias prior to March 2013!

Thank you, Carol

Ajspicer said:
Heritage- Bristol
Benfield- Newcastle
AB Crush- Dover
Shorada- Cannock

I have just noticed a slight bit of corrosion on our natural grey 2010 California so I pooped into Bristol Heritage and they told me they are not dealing with the problem and suggested I contact Westbury Wilts Centre.

Has anyone else had this response or are they trying to pass the buck?

Andrew.

You need to take it to a van centre to get issue regestered & on list for repairs.

All the info we have from VW is in post 1 & 2. As we get more info from VW it will be posted here.

Woollyoak said:
Thanks for the update. We have logged our corrosion problem with local dealer at Exeter and are waiting for them to let us know when it will be fixed. They have not told us how this will be done, but have said the roof will be taken off. Are you able to let us know how the roof will be put right please? It is interesting that VW aren't recalling all Californias prior to March 2013!

Thank you, Carol

All the confirmed info we have is in post 1& 2.

I received a letter today from VW Commercial vehicles (actually two copies of the same letter with different dates!). Part of the letter says :

As previously advised our factory identified the root cause and made changes to the production of new vehicles. For existing vehicles the relevant paint warranty has been extended from three to six years and where warrantable corrosion occurs on the front panel a new repair process has been provided.

That makes it pretty clear that this is being handled as a paintwork defect and the warranty is being extended to 6 years, although is this just for the roof or for the entire vehicle? It's not being covered under the 12 year bodywork warranty.

The letter goes on to list the repair centers, how the vehicle will be taken to and returned from the body shop and that it will take about 2 weeks. The body shop allocated the repair, which may be any of them, will be in contact directly.

Back