Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering paintwork, on panel above windscreen.

Hi
My 2012 DSG 180 had its bubbling paint repair job done last year and I was hoping that was it sorted out. Now in the last couple of weeks the bubbling has recurred in the same place......

Isa Neal said:
Hi
My 2012 DSG 180 had its bubbling paint repair job done last year and I was hoping that was it sorted out. Now in the last couple of weeks the bubbling has recurred in the same place......

Not good, but at least you can now get your Cali on the current repair list.

Hiya
Am just a matter if a few days off travelling through Scandinavia to the north cape so not back til Middle July to get my vehicle to SMG to take pictures and lodge a claim with VW. Aghhhhhhhh......

I just had to get my complaint lodged by my local van centre. Previously I'd dealt directly with Cust. Services.

So I dropped in at 8:30am and was on my way by 8:40. They just took my contact details and some photos - that's it.

So if it's on route you could drop in on your way to Scandinavia if you wanted to get the ball rolling....wouldn't delay you much.

Thank you custardtart and andy. I've tried to take pictures myself but the area where it's developed now and previously is tucked down drivers side in a dip, and my paint is grey so , so far I've found it impossible to get a picture that shows it although it is there visually and you can feel it running your thumb over it which is how it started previously.
I bought the vehicle new from Cardiff and numerous things weren't working when I got home so SMG have been a lifeline for me sorting out major snagging problems including a roof which ate itself so I would prefer to take it in to them to log with Vw as customer service as they already know I have had replacement roof and bellows previously as well as the bubbling paint repair. Am just pissed off but love the freedom the vehicle gives me. I'll look for a VW van centre on route to Harwich and see if it can be photoed on route.

Isa Neal said:
Hiya
Am just a matter if a few days off travelling through Scandinavia to the north cape so not back til Middle July to get my vehicle to SMG to take pictures and lodge a claim with VW. Aghhhhhhhh......
I would love to read a blog of your trip and some photos - sounds amazing
Gareth

Hi Everyone
1st post on any forum.
Many thanks to all the helpful posts on this site. We have nearly decided what specs we would like with our new Cali.
Have been following the posts on this issue.
Understandably we wanted reassurance from VW Commerical UK that issues with blistering have been resolved before we buy.
Phoned today.
Told a new front panel has been used in vans made from October/ November 2013. The same new front panel being applied to Cali's which have blistering paint work. Then asked about the bubbling under the rubber roof seal. Told only a " handful of owners have reported this problem " so not being addressed in the new production. Told would be covered by corrosion warranty.
Not sure we have been reassured.
Still very keen to purchase a Cali at some point. Love reading your travel blogs with your VW Cali.
Look forward to meeting you at the Cali Farm 2014. We are hoping to come as day visitors.

Bluesea said:
Hi Everyone
1st post on any forum.
Many thanks to all the helpful posts on this site. We have nearly decided what specs we would like with our new Cali.
Have been following the posts on this issue.
Understandably we wanted reassurance from VW Commerical UK that issues with blistering have been resolved before we buy.
Phoned today.
Told a new front panel has been used in vans made from October/ November 2013. The same new front panel being applied to Cali's which have blistering paint work. Then asked about the bubbling under the rubber roof seal. Told only a " handful of owners have reported this problem " so not being addressed in the new production. Told would be covered by corrosion warranty.
Not sure we have been reassured.
Still very keen to purchase a Cali at some point. Love reading your travel blogs with your VW Cali.
Look forward to meeting you at the Cali Farm 2014. We are hoping to come as day visitors.
Hi, and thank you for this.
Perhaps VW might finally like to consider this issue is affecting new sales?!!!
A slightly different variation on the facts as declared to date but to suggest only a handful of owners have reported the main roof bubbling is rubbish. Rose tinted glasses. I have seen 2 with my own eyes 11 & 12 plates.
Eventually the whole truth will out but I don't think we are there yet.
They are, faults aside, fabulous vehicles. Stick with us!

Just checked under the seal on mine... It's bubbly under there!

I've already got mine booked in for the front section, but I'll be getting this sorted as well.

I had a quick look at the seal around my roof and it seemed to be glued on.

I didn't want to pull too hard. Are you able to just pull yours off?

yes, mine just slides off. Definitely not glued!

ok ok ok - gave mine a bit of a tug and it came off too so no glue!

Thanks. :thumb

Blistering paintwork, on panel above windscreen.

I must be one of the few. Bubbles on the main roof. Funnily enough it is near the spot where my roof seal also corroded and had to be replaced.
eratuge3.jpg

I'm sure it will be fixed soon. It only went to be checked almost a year ago. No rush!!

Unfortunately mine now has the blistering on the panel - bugger! It runs around the bottom of the panel on the corner over the drivers side. It's a small area but once it has hold it can only grow. I will call my dealer next week (Breeze) and see what they say.

Ok. My 2008 van went in to Heritage Vw in Westbury, Wiltshire 4 weeks ago.

They had told me they would keep it for 2 weeks. As I don't use the van daily I didn't req a replacement vehicle, but I did need it back for the Spring bank holiday! (4 weeks).

On the first day I was called and told that the roof panel had a bubble too and they would ask VW to authorise that repair too.

So, called them after 2 weeks, was told the front panel was done but waiting for VW to authorise the roof panel repair. Called them after three weeks to be told that actually no work had been done to either the front or roof!

Called VW customer service who weren't very helpful, the back to Heritage to let them know my thoughts.

Finally asked for my van to be returned as I had a family holiday booked. Got the van delivered back after three and a half weeks with nothing having been done!! Fantastic service!!

Not looking forward to repeating the process!

My suggestions to anyone who is booked in, check with he dealer and VW customer service that authorisation has been granted for all the repairs.

Gar.

Thanks for trying Martin - I guess they are preparing their next ambiguous and cautious statement to diplomatically play-down the issue.
I remain pretty sure that the entire roof is subject to this corrosion and wonder how many owners have corrosion beneath the rubber trim of the main roof. Its already more than a "handful".
There is enough customer evidence here to support the issue and one way or another VW are going to be obliged to address this.
Keep prodding them till you get a statement that is clear and meaningful acknowledgement and commitment. If that still doesn't get a decent response then lets pool our efforts and perhaps even consider a legal approach?

I can see no good reason why VW have not addressed this properly some long while ago.

We also had the corrosion on front panel which we reported over 5 months ago and now within last two weeks we now have several bubbles on the main roof aswell :headbang

We have been told we need to go in and have it checked as it is not a known fault :censor

dex14 said:
I must be one of the few. Bubbles on the main roof. Funnily enough it is near the spot where my roof seal also corroded and had to be replaced.
eratuge3.jpg

I'm sure it will be fixed soon. It only went to be checked almost a year ago. No rush!!

Strangely enough, mine is EXACTLY in the same spot - must be to do with a fault in the rubber covering the steel reinforcement of the seal there.
I have since removed all blistering and covered with dielectric grease.

Roof Corrosion Poll - ** BRAND NEW POLL **

Looking at the posts on here and from PM's we have been receiving, the problem with roof corrosion now looks like it is affecting the entire elevating roof aswell as the front panel.

VW Customer services appear to be saying this is not a fault they are aware of.

I plan to chase up my call with them next week and would like to have some information to give them on this.

Before making your choice on the poll please go and and inspect your roof, especially around the black rubber seal on the main roof.

Re: Roof Corrosion Poll - ** BRAND NEW POLL **

Do we not need the option "No Corrosion (possibly "yet")"?
We can then gauge the extent of the problem.

Yes. No corrosion option required. Also suggest you restrict to vehicles over 1 year old.

Its ok, this is just a temporary poll to get a few numbers for them. Actutally within an hour of starting this poll I got a phone call ... Maybe they are looking at the forum at head office after all.

They will be watching. Forums have quite possibly been an economic disaster for car companies.

Ordinary little folk like us rely on forums to alert us to common faults/ cures/ cheaper ways of doing things/ warranty issues. We all know to look for bubbling roofs, bubbling alloys, steering knock, leaking side windows, the front doors rubbing on the sills, failing CCUs, faulty water gauges etc etc - and to get sorted under warranty.

All this hits manufacturers in the pocket I guess they would rather keep such knowledge under wraps.

I have a friend who used to work for an artificial joint manufacturer. As a lot of folk now join forums to discuss joint replacement joint options (as some fear the NHS is fobbing them off with cheaper products that give inferior results). They also share x-rays and advice they have received ! Part of his role over a decade ago was to monitor forums to see what was being said about his company's products

It may well be that we have moles on this forum :crazy .

I suspect that the folk who troll me actually work for vw. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

do we actually know yet if corrosion is inevitable? presumably it is if it's the sort of design fault discussed

Corrosion is inevitible if your van has not benefitted from the upgrade that involves inserting a rubber seal between the aluminium roof section and the steel body section. I think newer calis (less than 12m old) have this, but other members will know better than me.

I did gcse chemistry and learnt that when two different metals touch you can get a chemical reaction. VW did not understand this. As a consequence VW allowed steel to touch aluminium in the phaetons (4 doors plus boot and bonnet I believe) and the Cali roof. My mate with a phaeton fought a bitter battle with vw and eventually got these 6 panels replaced under warranty. Vw tried to screw him (claiming that corrosion was his fault due to bashing doors) but armed with knowledge gained from forums he got this sorted under warranty, but he had to threaten vw first.

My roof was corroding before the Cali was one year old. There are loads of posts about this issue on the forum. Vw are seemingly behaving better with the Cali roof. Though as mine is not fixed yet I will reserve judgement until it is

Amateur night really. The sort of thing you fear with a railway arch conversion of a tranny van, not from a 40k to 50k vehicle sold as a premium product. Well, the price was premium anyway.

Back