Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

ROB said:
dealer lost my photos despite me doing 100 mile round trip ! and a day off work

so in end emailed , but still not been forwarded to customer care, van centre promised last week , now promise next week, i feel very poorly treated & this is just to set up a claim, i have already made 8 phone calls & very little action by the van centre

That's terrible - name and shame!!

smgcowfold said:
ROB said:

so in end emailed , but still not been forwarded to customer care, van centre promised last week , now promise next week, i feel very poorly treated & this is just to set up a claim, i have already made 8 phone calls & very little action by the van centre

They shouldn't be forwarding the photos to customer care, they should be submitting a repair form to Volkswagen!

cheers

Hi Alex
I've just got back from 7 mth trip and have noticed the dreaded paint bubbles on roof. Is it possible to drive down sometime next week and register fault with yourselves. Should I phone amd book it in or just turn up.
Many thanx Simon

they dont do anything at moment apart from inactivity !

yet i have bought 2 used calis from them ,in last 6 years , they were very interested then,

letter posted to complain, for what its worth !

I have noticed that every time I drive off after it is has rained, a lot of water pours down the windscreen.

I do wonder if that water collects because the Cali is standing has an impact, I am not denying the design fault, but I'd be curious to know if those who use a Cali daily are less affected, I have some blistering but not much.

Just a thought

Might be related (or not) but our driveway is level but the road we turn onto is a hill; a huge amount of water pours from the van on anything but a long dry spell; from the bottom rear of the van. Where is it collecting?!

KernowLad said:
Might be related (or not) but our driveway is level but the road we turn onto is a hill; a huge amount of water pours from the van on anything but a long dry spell; from the bottom rear of the van. Where is it collecting?!

Mine appears to be collecting in the corners - perhaps i should clean out the channels lol

It was just a thought

James

cayman57 said:
smgcowfold said:
ROB said:

They shouldn't be forwarding the photos to customer care, they should be submitting a repair form to Volkswagen!

cheers

Hi Alex
I've just got back from 7 mth trip and have noticed the dreaded paint bubbles on roof. Is it possible to drive down sometime next week and register fault with yourselves. Should I phone amd book it in or just turn up.
Many thanx Simon

Hi Simon,

Give me a call and we can get it sorted out for you.

cheers

Alex

Just discovered corrosion on left hand side of forward front roof panel. had the left hand side repaired 4 years ago under warranty.
My question is, is this covered by the anti corrosion warranty, my cali is a 2006 model?

John :thanks

Carrs in Exeter contacted me today.

They just need some extra pictures, so I will go down there tomorrow, they did say I could take them and e mail them but I am working in Exeter tomorrow afternoon so happy to go along to Carrs, also a good excuse to look over some Caravelle's and Cali's.

Carrs have a rather nice demo Beach at the mo :)

James

Take it to a Van Centre for assessment and photographs. Ask them to submit a goodwill request on your behalf. The current scope of the rectification allows for vehicles up to six years old, that is vehicles under three years covered by standard paint warranty and vehicles three to six years old are treated under a goodwill gesture.

There is scope for a Van Centre to submit a report for vehicles over six years old but this is treated on a case by case basis by the manufacturer and by no means should you expect a 100% contribution to repairs if anything at all.

You have to differentiate this problem from the anti perforation/anti corrosion warranty as that specifically deals with the corrosion of a panel from the inside face through to the paint surface, effectively creating a hole.

You need to take it to your local van centre and ask them to submit a claim for you. There is a different process for vehicles over 6 years old and it will be treated on a case by case basis.

cheers and good luck

Our old Blue 2008 Cali was repaired in mid-2011 by Listers Coventry and was fine until we sold it in Feb '13. This was repaired without roof removal under warranty but before this complex repair process was intoducted by VW.

We now have a late 2012 Cali, which is always garaged and I always make a point of ensuring the front panel, edges and channels are 100% dry before I put it away. Whether drying it totally will make any difference, I have no idea but (fingers crossed) - so far so good.

Thanks to a Clai owner that pointed this problem out to me on a trip to Devon. I took it in to Heritage Motors and they took some pictures for VW Approval. Its been approved for the work but I have been told that it will take months because of the backlog. One more for the list !
Brenda

Hi Guys.

Only just collected our first Cali, a 2010 facelift model. Really pleased with it, apart from the peeling paint that I didn't notice before we bought it!

Anyway, even though it's out of warranty, I phoned VW customer care, who have logged it. They said it's a known fault, and to take it to a Van centre to get them to qualify the fault, and then VW customer care will apparently take the vehicle away on a low loader, leave you with a replacement, and fix the issue. There are 4 van centres nationwide that have had specific training.

I was expecting a bit of a battle with them, but they were almost expecting the call, even saying sorry but unfortunately we cannot deliver your replacement Cali abroad!

Question 1 - anywhere else I should check for blistering, anywhere hidden that I wont think to look otherwise?

Question 2 - can anyone recommend a good local van centre in West Yorkshire? (We are in Huddersfield), to diagnose the work?

Question 3 - really need seat covers - but not baggy, shiny ones? Any suggestions?

Question 4 - need parking sensors on the back - where can I get this done? Aftermarket or genuine?

Thanks again,
sean.

Has anyone actually had a repair done throughout the new process notified by VW, or at least have a date for the work to be done? My van has been registered for a few months - received email to say I would be given a date for the repair in March but haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks

Gasf

Gasf said:
Has anyone actually had a repair done throughout the new process notified by VW, or at least have a date for the work to be done? My van has been registered for a few months - received email to say I would be given a date for the repair in March but haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks

Gasf

From the information I have been given the work is not due to start for around another month.
Just be patient it will happen eventually, in order that they were reported to VW. As said earlier on this thread 4 body shops each able to do two at a time & taking two weeks each it is going to take sometime to get them all done.

So given the 108 that are registered in the poll here, there is a good 6 months worth of vans to get through. That will mean the majority will be done right over the summer season, great timing even if you do get a loaner!

We seem to be affected too. Just about to set off for somewhere warm and sunny so will contact our dealer to register the problem and deal with it on our return. DH

Given it is potentially every California manufactured from 2004 until a few weeks ago, then I think 108 is the tip of a very large iceberg.... :shocked

shambly said:
Given it is potentially every California manufactured from 2004 until a few weeks ago, then I think 108 is the tip of a very large iceberg.... :shocked

Yep me too. There must be other Calis in Uk that are not members here & are getting theirs done.

This sure is going to cost VW a whole heap of money on a vehicle they are rumoured to not make much profit on !!

I spoke with VW customer services this week about my claim and they tell me that only Hertige (Westbury) are the only repairer of the four nominated who so far have completed their training in the repair! I was told earlier this year that training was being given in February so I have no idea why the other repairers are lagging behind.

Can anyone who is contacted by the repairers to be given a date for the work to update this topic for the other followers information?

RidetheBulli said:
In our Forum http://www.caliboard.de are nearly 200 cases yet and each cases is about 5000euro costs

Have the repairs commenced with your guys?

The Cali is very popular in Europe so there must be a huge number overall.

shambly said:

I understood this was fixed (rubber gasket insert keeping the 2 types of metal apart) mid 2013 so not quite that bad but plenty bad enough!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4132&p=49188#p49188

And they'll seemingly never fix those stupid sliding windows.... 11 years so far!

Ho hum.

Simon

777111 said:
shambly said:

I understood this was fixed (rubber gasket insert keeping the 2 types of metal apart) mid 2013 so not quite that bad but plenty bad enough!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4132&p=49188#p49188

And they'll seemingly never fix those stupid sliding windows.... 11 years so far!

Ho hum.

Simon

Not so i'm afraid, from what i've been told - Though we are all apparently getting that rubber gasket as part of our retro-fit of a new front panel.

The final fix was only put into production a few build weeks ago which I guess is part of the hold up on the repairs.

Back