Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Roof Corrosion Poll - ** BRAND NEW POLL **

Martin said:
Its ok, this is just a temporary poll to get a few numbers for them. Actutally within an hour of starting this poll I got a phone call ... Maybe they are looking at the forum at head office after all.

I assume this was a friendly "thanks for your help" type of call Martin?

Its a shame that VW not communicate this problem openly, nothing in the magazins or papers :cry:
In www.caliboard.de more then 150 cars are effected..... Some have to wait for repair up to 9 months because of the que.....

I agree. Honesty is an increasingly scarce concept nowadays. This should be a recall issue.

Remember this when you next think about buying a car from VAG group.

I certainly won't be buying another one for a long time. And I have been driving them since 1989 (Mark 1,2,3 golf and jettas, Audi 80s, Audi S5), my father much longer - going back to the beetle.. Not the products they once were. But folk will wise up over the next few years when the post warranty nightmare hits them

I'm not sure how everyone else is checking the roof.

I had a good look all around next to the seal and pulled the seal off in a couple of places along the back. I didn't want to pull it off all the way round to check - worried I'll do more harm than good.

Up until now I've found VW Cust Services pretty good but I'm currently stuck in limbo between them and the van centre who have taken the photos and details to resubmit the claim but Cust Services say they haven't received it. They said they'd call me back on Tuesday about it but nothing yet.

Judging by the posts on this forum, I guess it's all kicking off a bit.

Anyway, thanks for following this up Martin.

RidetheBulli said:
Its a shame that VW not communicate this problem openly, nothing in the magazins or papers :cry:
In http://www.caliboard.de more then 150 cars are effected..... Some have to wait for repair up to 9 months because of the que.....

aargh .. surely *ALL* vans are affected? mine is 2012 with no apparent problem, but previous posts would suggest that it WILL have a problem, so shouldn't I be able to get the fix put in place anyway?

I think this whole thing shows VW in a very bad light.

I am aware that recalls generally are related to safety issues but surely VW should just bite the bullet and get all California's rectified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BerndRos said:
I think this whole thing shows VW in a very bad light.

I am aware that recalls generally are related to safety issues but surely VW should just bite the bullet and get all California's rectified.

yes! otherwise I (we) will have to wait for our roofs to go rusty (which they will) then try to fight the warranty process, which could be easier or harder depending on how long the roof lasted before it happened.
And s/h values will inevitably be lower for those calis that haven't had this problem rectified, even if they don't show the signs at present.

custardtart

The corrosion is so visible, if you have it you will see it easily. No need to move any seals.

In your shoes, the only time I would be moving seals would be when the relevant warranty period is ending. Someone on the forum will tell you when this is

Re: Blistering paintwork, on panel above windscreen.

We have been told we need to go in and have it checked as it is not a known fault

This is strange as quite a few from here have been logged with VW as warranty claim.
Customer Services also know about mine so yes they ARE aware of this problem.

gatvol said:
I agree. Honesty is an increasingly scarce concept nowadays. This should be a recall issue.

Remember this when you next think about buying a car from VAG group.

I certainly won't be buying another one for a long time. And I have been driving them since 1989 (Mark 1,2,3 golf and jettas, Audi 80s, Audi S5), my father much longer - going back to the beetle.. Not the products they once were. But folk will wise up over the next few years when the post warranty nightmare hits them

As has been stated numerous times recalls are only for safety items, which this is not.

Andy said:
As has been stated numerous times recalls are only for safety items, which this is not.

why not for defects? where does it say a vehicle can only be recalled for safety features? Maybe recall is the wrong word though, perhaps 'voluntary recall' .. ie, we know there is a problem with these roofs, book your van in and we'll fix it

johnv said:
Andy said:

why not for defects? where does it say a vehicle can only be recalled for safety features? Maybe recall is the wrong word though, perhaps 'voluntary recall' .. ie, we know there is a problem with these roofs, book your van in and we'll fix it

It does not say that anywhere. That is how it is done in motor trade.
VW will never volenteer to check all calis for this fault. Would cost them too much on a vehicle that does not make them much money.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy this is the cause of all my frustration, you say 'will never volunteer to check all Calis for this fault'

Surely they ALL have this fault, with no exceptions?

its little things like this that made me sale my new beetle .and go to audi :eek:
£50k for a camper and you get problems like this and they don't give a sh-t. :eek:

johnv said:
Andy said:

Recalls are for safety. For other such concerns VW will use the term campaign. Campaigns happen in different circumstances depending on the severity and issue in hand. For example many will only be invoked if the customer presents at the centre with the issue, others are picked up when a vehicle is taken for routine servicing.

VOSA mange Safety Recalls in the UK -

“A safety related defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product/aftermarket part without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will be common to a number of products/aftermarket parts that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom”

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/code-of-practice-on-vehicle-safety-defects-and-recalls

Rallyraid said:
Ok. My 2008 van went in to Heritage Vw in Westbury, Wiltshire 4 weeks ago.

They had told me they would keep it for 2 weeks. As I don't use the van daily I didn't req a replacement vehicle, but I did need it back for the Spring bank holiday! (4 weeks).

On the first day I was called and told that the roof panel had a bubble too and they would ask VW to authorise that repair too.

So, called them after 2 weeks, was told the front panel was done but waiting for VW to authorise the roof panel repair. Called them after three weeks to be told that actually no work had been done to either the front or roof!

Called VW customer service who weren't very helpful, the back to Heritage to let them know my thoughts.

Finally asked for my van to be returned as I had a family holiday booked. Got the van delivered back after three and a half weeks with nothing having been done!! Fantastic service!!

Not looking forward to repeating the process!

My suggestions to anyone who is booked in, check with he dealer and VW customer service that authorisation has been granted for all the repairs.

Gar.

I think in the first instance your sensibility and decency were your undoing. Even if it will simply remain parked up for the duration always take the loan vehicle - that way they have some incentive to do your job in good time.

Otherwise sh1t service and if it were me I'd be reading someones horoscope.

I foresee an issue should someone be looking to sell their Cali. Potential buyers may find the damage and quite rightly be dissuaded from buying or seek to reduce the price.

Stu said:
I foresee an issue should someone be looking to sell their Cali. Potential buyers may find the damage and quite rightly be dissuaded from buying or seek to reduce the price.

Agreed. All the more reason to try & gee VW up. I will call cust servies on monday & try to get update.

Thanks for clarifying that Stu

Bluesea said:
Hi Everyone
1st post on any forum.
Many thanks to all the helpful posts on this site. We have nearly decided what specs we would like with our new Cali.
Have been following the posts on this issue.
Understandably we wanted reassurance from VW Commerical UK that issues with blistering have been resolved before we buy.
Phoned today.
Told a new front panel has been used in vans made from October/ November 2013. The same new front panel being applied to Cali's which have blistering paint work. Then asked about the bubbling under the rubber roof seal. Told only a " handful of owners have reported this problem " so not being addressed in the new production. Told would be covered by corrosion warranty.
Not sure we have been reassured.
Still very keen to purchase a Cali at some point. Love reading your travel blogs with your VW Cali.
Look forward to meeting you at the Cali Farm 2014. We are hoping to come as day visitors.

This was an earlier post by me.
Sadly, we have decided to postpone buying a new Cali with the increasing evidence of main roof bubbling until VW commerical accept it is more than a " handful of owners " with this problem. One day ...........

I really don't see why it would stop you buying one......

There is a warranty and one way or the other it will be addressed.

If it was not for the internet/this forum I would not of been aware of how widespead the problem is. I wonder how many non forum users out there are totally oblivious to the problem.

My 2008 Cali has got blistering on the front panel, under the rubber seal on and on the underside of the opening roof. I phoned Breeze in Southampton and sent them some photos, their prompt and slight curt response was its over 6 years old and not covered by any paint warranty.

Is that correct? Surely the blistering (at least) is covered by the 12 year cover? And all this on a van that's 6 years 2 months old! (I've only just got over paying for a new roof control console!) :headbang

Longer term Paint warranties are normally Anti Perforation (rusted right through)

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Warranty said:
3-year paint warranty
The paintwork on your Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle is covered against manufacturing defects for a period of three years. Naturally, your vehicle must be cared for in compliance with the operating instructions which will be found in your vehicle handbook. Please consult your Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Service Centre for full warranty details.

12-year body protection warranty
The internal body sections and panels of your Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles are covered against rusting through from the inside for a period of 12 years. Naturally, your vehicle must be cared for in compliance with the operating instructions. Please consult your Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Service Centre for full warranty details.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Warranty

However how this applies to aluminium parts is not clear. Furthermore what you have is a proven manufacturing defect in a vehicle that you would like argue was not of merchantable quality under the Consumer Law.

Try having a word with Alex of SMG.

I would echo what Stu stated, I do not yet have paint issues on my front panel but I emailed VW asking what the cover was re this " inherent" manicacturing known defect whilst l did not get a email reply VW phoned up and implied warranties would cover this I would contact VW direct

Back