Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering paintwork, on panel above windscreen.

Hi,many thanks for the responses. I have already contacted VW directly and they suggested that I contact VW Heritage at Bristol. I sent them the photos and they are sending them on to their body repair branch who are dealing with the repairs for the south west. I've not heard back from them so far - probably a bit busy. Real shame, it's been a really good van, let down by the over complicated engineering.

Re: Roof Corrosion Poll - ** BRAND NEW POLL **

Just had an update from VW

Further to our telephone discussion of 29 May, regarding the five questions you have regarding the Volkswagen California roof.

I am drafting a response for you to share with your members, however I do require input from a number of colleagues and hope to
have the answers to you by 13 June.

Martin said:
Looking at the posts on here and from PM's we have been receiving, the problem with roof corrosion now looks like it is affecting the entire elevating roof aswell as the front panel.

VW Customer services appear to be saying this is not a fault they are aware of.

I plan to chase up my call with them next week and would like to have some information to give them on this.

Before making your choice on the poll please go and and inspect your roof, especially around the black rubber seal on the main roof.

:headbang my van centre just told me there couldnt be any corrosion on the pop up roof as it is fibreglass - on the phone now as I type this, to vw commercial customer service

Hi Sue, This is the third time I have heard this now (fibreglass) :crazy when you call them, maybe ask for Lee Manuel as this is our point of contact.

Also I am getting quite alot of PM's from people who have no corrosion at all on their vans and are worried if/when the corrosion does appear what they need to do and if they will be covered by any warranty. I am asking VW to look into this aswell.

Someone has also contaced me with a 2014 Cali with corrosion, anyone else got corrosion on a October 2013 onwards Cali?

Ours was delivered in March this year (2014) and I have been checking every week for the dreaded corrosion and then today I find blisering on the front panel, each blister is around 4mm in diameter. I really thought I had got away with it.

Would've interesting to know if there is any correlation between wether the vehicle is garaged or not and the incidence of the roof corrosion.
I was told many years ago, leave a vehicle outside or ideally under a carport so that it can dry as quickly as it gets wet. Putting it into a humid garage will just let the rust bug eat it away.
I've never garaged my vehicles since and never had a problem with the rust bug. :thumb

WelshGas said:
Would've interesting to know if there is any correlation between wether the vehicle is garaged or not and the incidence of the roof corrosion.
I was told many years ago, leave a vehicle outside or ideally under a carport so that it can dry as quickly as it gets wet. Putting it into a humid garage will just let the rust bug eat it away.
I've never garaged my vehicles since and never had a problem with the rust bug. :thumb

The corrosion is not caused by water. It is not rust. All the panels affected are aluminium.

WelshGas said:

Mine hasn't been garaged yet.

No mine will not fit in my garage so no choice !!

My 2012 cali sits outside and has the front roof panel bubbles - reported 8 months ago so was just 14 months old then.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk

We garage ours but its in a very large barn so no humidity, we also have a Brazilian T2 which are supposed to be renowned for bad rust, again kept in the barn and not one bit of rust. Where should we be looking ofr the bubbles? is it on the raising roof panel or the main bodywork?

Martin said:
Just had an update from VW

Further to our telephone discussion of 29 May, regarding the five questions you have regarding the Volkswagen California roof.

I am drafting a response for you to share with your members, however I do require input from a number of colleagues and hope to
have the answers to you by 13 June.

Look forward to that. Though prepared to be underwhelmed... let's see.
Needs to address the entire roof, needs to be honest (i.e. the cause, which vehicles and what warranty applies and has it actually been fixed yet) ,and needs to be an absolute commitment. Anything less will be damaging to the VW brand name and this vehicle in particular so let's hope they do the right thing.

after finding blistering on my 2009 cali, I took it to my local van centre. They took some pictures and sent them to VW. As I had not heard anything in 3 weeks, I called VW today, spoke to a very helpful man, who confirmed that mine was approved for repair and that I should get a letter in the post confirming this. He said one of the repairers will be in touch, probably Westbury? and they will arrange collection and delivery of a loan Cali.

HY09UMU said:
I would echo what Stu stated, I do not yet have paint issues on my front panel but I emailed VW asking what the cover was re this " inherent" manicacturing known defect whilst l did not get a email reply VW phoned up and implied warranties would cover this I would contact VW direct

I think if you have a genuine concern Andy, and I think you do, then it might be worth seeking something in writing before the end of your 2 year warranty otherwise have it preemptively 'repaired'.

I have a 2011 with no corrosion at all, what do I do? What if the corrosion appears in five years when this is all forgotten

Or like in my case a 2009 with no corrosion. Where do vw draw the line I wonder?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've just had a lengthy and quite unsuccessful conversation with a very confused and mis-informed lady at VW CS who of course was able to acknowledge that there is an inherent problem with the front panel but refused to acknowledge that there is a issue with the main roof section however should I have corrosion on the roof it would be dealt with so long as I notify them within my three year warranty period.

My concern is that if I do not have the corrosion now but in 18 months time it does spring up I will be left out in the cold and having to pay for it to be repaired myself. Clearly there is an issue here and it must be resolved satisfactorily once and for all.

The lady at VW CS simply rambled on about anti perforation warranty etc but fails to understand that the Cali roof is made of aluminium so perforation from the inside out is really quite unlikely.

I will be writing to VW CS to express my concern and to reinforce the fact that I expect both the front panel and roof to have been repaired. I would urge all of you to do the same. At the very least we want a letter of acceptance of liability so that we can have the repair carried out in the future should the fault occur.

It is very likely that it could affect the longer term value of the Cali, for example a Savvy buyer who is aware of the issue might raise the question 'has the roof been repaired?'. If not they may walk or may view my Cali as being of a higher risk and thus lesser value. Not something I am prepared to accept.

The original communication from VW UK Director of VW Commercial -

Mr Smith - Director VW Commercial Vehicles said:
Every Volkswagen California comes with 12 years warranty against through-corrosion (corrosion emanating from inside the body panel) and three years warranty protection for any paintwork defects, offering customers complete peace of mind.

Mr Smith - Director VW Commercial Vehicles said:
As per my previous correspondence I would like to reassure California customers that each vehicle comes with a 12-year' warranty against through-corrosion (corrosion emanating from inside a body panel) and a three year warranty for any paintwork defects.

That really does not comfort me.

253 working days in 2014 which is around 50 weeks. The lady told me they can do 16 Cali's every 2 weeks with 4 Bodyshops so I reckon the maximum per year is 400. Given that this affects all California from 2006 up to March 2013 that's going to be quite a few.

Using the How Many Left data I counted 1697 currently licensed. Assuming they do them all (which they should but they won't) it would take over 4 years!!!

Freeley said:
Or like in my case a 2009 with no corrosion. Where do vw draw the line I wonder?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

They are only going to repair vehicles which currently have bubbling paintwork

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Aluminium corrosion takes a number of forms and water is a common denominator in most of them.http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/design-support/aluminium-corrosion-resistance/ However if this is not corrosion then it is probably something to do with the coating/paint process/type used. Even Land Rover's Defender has problems and the aluminium alloy body panels there have not changed for 67 years, but their 6 year Bodywork warranty does cover it.
Will be good to see a comprehensive statement from VW Customer Services. :thumb

WelshGas said:
Aluminium corrosion takes a number of forms and water is a common denominator in most of them.http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/design-support/aluminium-corrosion-resistance/ However if this is not corrosion then it is probably something to do with the coating/paint process/type used. Even Land Rover's Defender has problems and the aluminium alloy body panels there have not changed for 67 years, but their 6 year Bodywork warranty does cover it.
Will be good to see a comprehensive statement from VW Customer Services. :thumb

Totally agree.
VW are avoiding making reference to the same problem with the main roof which is suffering the same problem as the front panel.
About time they came clean on this and faced up to their customers.

777111 said:
Totally agree.

VW are avoiding making reference to the same problem with the main roof which is suffering the same problem as the front panel.

+1

I was told that the reason for the 'corrosion' had been identified as a paint/materials issue therefore it strikes me that if the front panel has a known issue and assuming the roof was painted using the same process it too will suffer, it's just a matter of when it happens. So we will own a ticking time bomb if not repaired within the paint warranty period.

I suggested yesterday the VW should extend the warranty on the affected components. They aren't budging.

My wait for the repair continues. I had to resubmit as the original van centre submission went astray when dealership changed hands. Called VW customer care to check they now had the correct info and was told all ok and fewer than 100 vans in queue to be sorted at the moment...

Well you are doing better than me. Despite being logged with vw cs for 8 mths it seems a step too far to get my local van centre to resubmit despite visiting them and numerous phonecalls to vw cs!

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk

Stu said:
777111 said:
Totally agree.

+1

I was told that the reason for the 'corrosion' had been identified as a paint/materials issue therefore it strikes me that if the front panel has a known issue and assuming the roof was painted using the same process it too will suffer, it's just a matter of when it happens. So we will own a ticking time bomb if not repaired within the paint warranty period.

I suggested yesterday the VW should extend the warranty on the affected components. They aren't budging.

Absolutely.
"They aren't budging" - yet.
This could possibly require litigation.
There are enough of us here to make a concerted effort to force this issue.
First step is get an unambiguous admission of what the problem is (cause, vehicles affected). If that statement appears to be that VW are ducking their responsibility as the manufacturer ( - as very much appears to be case thus far) then we may need to contest this.
Hopefully VW will step up to the issue, declare an absolute policy (warranty & repair process) and get some customer recovery under way. Let's hope so.

Back