Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Roof Corrosion Poll - ** BRAND NEW POLL **

Mine needs doing a SECOND time.

And my steering column sounds like it needs replacing AGAIN too. :headbang :headbang

It has to be said and accepted......

Steering columns.....Door handles.......these should be 'vehicle life' products......VW shame on you.....

Perhaps we should consider approaching "Watchdog" to take up the case with VW? There is nothing like a bit of negative national TV exposure to gee a company along.....

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Does the forum want to do this in its official capacity?

Simon

shambly said:
Perhaps we should consider approaching "Watchdog" to take up the case with VW? There is nothing like a bit of negative national TV exposure to gee a company along.....

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Does the forum want to do this in its official capacity?

Simon

Sure, why not? Lets give it one more chance - the letter promised to Martin due in soon then nobody can suggest we have't been patient enough.
And yes if we as members can sign up to a group representation, put this to VW directly (as has been tried before) and give them a time limit for a thorough and meaningful response and, assuming it is inadequate, see if we can get some proper media interest.
I am certainly with you there. (but not so keen on being interviewed by Anne Robinson! Volunteers?!)

They are more likley to take notice if we all contact them as individuals as I think they only cover cases which have had a lot of complaints.

They promised to get back to me by Friday 13th June, we can review things again then if we get no reply or if the reply is not what we want to hear.

In the meantime, Kev - do you fancy being our representative on Watchdog? :lol:

With warranty period coming to a close I hand washed mine to look for issues... sure enough tiny blisters appearing on the front panel :eek: better now than in 6 months though!

Martin said:
They promised to get back to me by Friday 13th June, we can review things again then if we get no reply or if the reply is not what we want to hear.

In a word no. :thanks

Martin said:

I agree we should at least give VW a chance to reply to Martins letter & I would say give them till middle of next week. Then if nothing is forthcoming consider writing to Watchdog or get legal advise as has been suggested before.

I'm now getting to the stage when I want this behind me. I want to fit flexible solar panels to the roof but can't till all this is sorted.

T5WOB - they wouldn't print it.

The real problem is, although they generally seem to be "fixing" it but they do a cr4p job. And what they DON'T seem to realise it how much time it wastes getting warranty issues fixed. I must have been to my dealer six times now (only ONE for a service) - it's over 30 minutes each way, I have to wait ages when I get there.

And when I called to try and "drop in" today (we were passing) the rather officious lady told me there was no availability and I have to go back on Thursday - more time wasted. Do they not realise these are two issues they were SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN SORTED and haven't? Issues that are happening to the majority of Cali (roof paint) and T5.1 (steering column) owners? IMO they should drop everything, bend over backwards and SORT IT OUT.

Once again a fantastic vehicle is making me rather nervous because it runs out of warranty in September. Calis should last decades if looked after, not a year or two or in some cases, even less.

Yes stuff gets sorted but it's SUCH A HASSLE and we've all spent North of £35k on these things. Not that price matters - A £6k Dacia shouldn't cause so many headaches let alone a £50k (in some cases) van!

Andy said:
Martin said:

I agree we should at least give VW a chance to reply to Martins letter & I would say give them till middle of next week. Then if nothing is forthcoming consider writing to Watchdog or get legal advise as has been suggested before.

I'm now getting to the stage when I want this behind me. I want to fit flexible solar panels to the roof but can't till all this is sorted.

Yeah, that is exactly what I am wanting to do and the flexible panels are not cheap. I really miss solar charging and resent having to top up the batteries on an extension lead when there is a cheaper / greener / easier way.

Spoke to soon, washed van yesterday and bubbles appearing on the front panel, very small but they are there. I thought I had escaped :x

I part exchanged my 2010 Cali in March for a larger Fiat based camper van. I noticed shortly before it went that I had slight corrosion on the main (pop up roof) in several places just above the rubber seal. This was in addition to bubbling paintwork on the front roof panel that had already been re-painted under warranty.

I loved my California - it will be my first and last VW.

Martin said:
Still nothing from VW ... they are running out of time now !

Yes they are.
Do you think they ever look here?
I firmly believe that this issue is going to affect ALL California's from an as yet unknown date when VW changed some aspect of the entire roof fabrication process.
If an owner doesn't have the issue now (and I don't BTW) then sooner or later they will .

This can't possibly just stop here.
VW need to do the right thing and stop treating their customers so poorly.

Well my van has just been into the dealer and it seems that they are now taking it more seriously; they told me only four dealers in the UK can deal with this problem and that it will have to go to Bristol be sorted out.
They are covering vans right back to 2007.
I am now waiting to hear back from Volkswagen and Heritage to see when ours will be booked in; not the best time of year to not have a camper!

KernowLad said:
I am now waiting to hear back from Volkswagen and Heritage to see when ours will be booked in; not the best time of year to not have a camper!

I wouldn't worry about it being the wrong time of year. Mine was reported 1st April and Herritage were going to contact me 'within a month'. Still waiting for any contact or date when the work will be done.

KernowLad said:
Well my van has just been into the dealer and it seems that they are now taking it more seriously; they told me only four dealers in the UK can deal with this problem and that it will have to go to Bristol be sorted out.
They are covering vans right back to 2007.

That, the fact they established a start date of 2007, is good to hear.
What we still need is -
1) Cause.
2) Extent of the issue - i.e. all roof parts.
3) Affected vehicles - When (build date) did VW address the manufacturing defect (-assuming they have).
4) What warranty is in place for affected customers?
5) What warranty condition will apply to customers not yet affected?

And I would like to see an apology for the evasive and ambiguous responses to date.

Simon

Owen - oh darn!

777111 - the cause is bi-metallic corrosion due to two different metals (aluminium and steel) reacting - the aluminium is more reactive to becomes the "sacrificial" metal just like in zinc anodes (which gradually deteriorate) used in things like boat engines.

The two metals should be completely electrically isolated (basic chemistry!) but for some reason they just can't get it right. I suspect the "fix" uses more intert material (I would assume plastic but it could be rubber) to try and sort it out but it looks like it's not really working.

It's a shame because having had ours up on a ramp, the rest of the van seems very well corrosion proofed (except the door hinges).

I don't know what's affected but it seems to just be the front section.

A TWELVE year warranty has been mentioned.

I think the issue "stopped" in 2012?

Apologies are hard to come buy but I've just pulled off a bit of a coup with a BMW refund so you never know...

Perhaps we should bring a collective case, maybe with legal support if needed.

KernowLad said:
Owen - oh darn!

777111 - the cause is bi-metallic corrosion due to two different metals (aluminium and steel) reacting - the aluminium is more reactive to becomes the "sacrificial" metal just like in zinc anodes (which gradually deteriorate) used in things like boat engines.

The two metals should be completely electrically isolated (basic chemistry!) but for some reason they just can't get it right. I suspect the "fix" uses more intert material (I would assume plastic but it could be rubber) to try and sort it out but it looks like it's not really working.

It's a shame because having had ours up on a ramp, the rest of the van seems very well corrosion proofed (except the door hinges).

Apologies are hard to come buy but I've just pulled off a bit of a coup with a BMW refund so you never know...

Thanks for your reply and whereas I would be delighted to accept what you are saying (I have a 2013 Cali which would mean I personally would not have a problem to "look forward to"!), how do we explain the "coincidental" corrosion of the main roof? VW initially suggested " a handful" have reported this but there are 38 owners here already on this poll reporting main roof corrosion -and I seriously doubt every Cali is represented here. I find it very hard to believe that the apparently very similar corrosion on both roof parts isn't the exact same issue. My guess, is the paint type or roof material, or roof prep is at fault and its the entire roof.
Please, somebody, go ahead prove me wrong and am sure that would be good news for many owners.
SO, for me at least, it is back looking to VW to be honest and declare what the issue actually is and make amends. By tomorrow.

Stu said:
Perhaps we should bring a collective case, maybe with legal support if needed.

+1

Definitely assuming an unsatisfactory or non-existent response from VW.

777111 said:
KernowLad said:
Owen - oh darn!

Thanks for your reply and whereas I would be delighted to accept what you are saying (I have a 2013 Cali which would mean I personally would not have a problem to "look forward to"!), how do we explain the "coincidental" corrosion of the main roof? VW initially suggested " a handful" have reported this but there are 38 owners here already on this poll reporting main roof corrosion -and I seriously doubt every Cali is represented here. I find it very hard to believe that the apparently very similar corrosion on both roof parts isn't the exact same issue. My guess, is the paint type or roof material, or roof prep is at fault and its the entire roof.
Please, somebody, go ahead prove me wrong and am sure that would be good news for many owners.
SO, for me at least, it is back looking to VW to be honest and declare what the issue actually is and make amends. By tomorrow.

Oops - I've missed the "main roof corrosion" bit - better check that on mine too!! :headbang

Re: Roof Corrosion - Official Thread

Hi
Phoned VW California customer service today to ascertain if they still only felt a " handful of owners " had a problem with bubbling on the main front . After checking, told the main roof if it has problems will be addressed at the same time as the front panel when van in for repair.
So then asked if they have addressed the main roof in the production line. Told no , only the front panel has been changed from October 2013. If a problem occurs with main roof it will be covered by the 12 warranty.

Re: Roof Corrosion - Official Thread

Sorry meant bubbling on the main roof !!!

Back