Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Re: Roof Corrosion Poll - ** BRAND NEW POLL **

KernowLad said:
I am now waiting to hear back from Volkswagen and Heritage to see when ours will be booked in; not the best time of year to not have a camper!

Obviously not read, or not understood the first post in this thread......

A loan California will be delivered to you, on a transporter, & your California taken away for repair. The repairs are estimated to take two weeks. Once repaired your California will be returned to you & loan collected, once again on a transporter. Your California will not incur addition mileage.
Loan Californias will not be allowed to go abroad, if your allocated repair date coincides with a trip abroad you will need to agree an alternate date.

Andy said:
KernowLad said:
I am now waiting to hear back from Volkswagen and Heritage to see when ours will be booked in; not the best time of year to not have a camper!

A loan California will be delivered to you, on a transporter, & your California taken away for repair. The repairs are estimated to take two weeks. Once repaired your California will be returned to you & loan collected, once again on a transporter. Your California will not incur addition mileage.
Loan Californias will not be allowed to go abroad, if your allocated repair date coincides with a trip abroad you will need to agree an alternate date.

Blimey, I go and get my roof looked at, I try to help out with information I was told, info from here AND a little Materials Engineering knowledges and get grief from you AND 777111 (or whatever).

I thought I was actually being quite helpful. :headbang

We are GOING ABROAD for a month. And I doubt they'll have a near fully loaded 180 4Motion as a loan van.

Christ almighty, I won't try and help out again. :headbang

Disappointing attitude gents. I'm not impressed.

Re: Roof Corrosion - Official Thread

I'm not giving you grief just pointing out that the first post states you will get a loan California whilst yours is being repaired. Also if you have an European trip planned that clashes with your date for repair, you will need to arrange another date for the repair as loans can not be taken abroad.

Okay then, "not the best time of year not to have OUR camper…"

Don't give in Kernowlad. Keep up the good fight.

KernowLad said:
Andy said:
KernowLad said:

Blimey, I go and get my roof looked at, I try to help out with information I was told, info from here AND a little Materials Engineering knowledges and get grief from you AND 777111 (or whatever).

We are GOING ABROAD for a month. And I doubt they'll have a near fully loaded 180 4Motion as a loan van.

KernowLad said:
Andy said:
KernowLad said:

Hey, wait up here!
No way was I "giving you grief" - I / we appreciate your input - absolutely.
I, perhaps, have a different perspective right here right now but all of this is incomplete speculation till VW wise up and explain what *** is going on with their aluminium fabrication for whatever reason. I see the evidence as I present but the truth is out there...
Sorry if that in any way caused offence it was certain not intended. :thumb

Bluesea said:
Hi
Phoned VW California customer service today to ascertain if they still only felt a " handful of owners " had a problem with bubbling on the main front . After checking, told the main roof if it has problems will be addressed at the same time as the front panel when van in for repair.
So then asked if they have addressed the main roof in the production line. Told no , only the front panel has been changed from October 2013. If a problem occurs with main roof it will be covered by the 12 warranty.

Then they misadvised you. :censor

The 12 Year Warranty will only cover for perforation from the inside which is highly unlikely to happen to your aluminium roof.

This is exactly the point I made a few posts earlier, we have a ticking time bomb of a roof and they need to accept responsibility.

I am no expert on this, so will happily defer to more knowledgeable people.

But I believe the key thing is to get proof of a problem WITHIN the warranty period if you can. The weasels will try to weasel out of it, so proof is your friend.

My old boss had a 10 year issue with his mercedes flattening batteries. But he got full recompense when he could prove he made mercedes aware of it within the warranty period.

Stu said:
Bluesea said:
Hi
Phoned VW California customer service today to ascertain if they still only felt a " handful of owners " had a problem with bubbling on the main front . After checking, told the main roof if it has problems will be addressed at the same time as the front panel when van in for repair.
So then asked if they have addressed the main roof in the production line. Told no , only the front panel has been changed from October 2013. If a problem occurs with main roof it will be covered by the 12 warranty.

Then they misadvised you. :censor

The 12 Year Warranty will only cover for perforation from the inside which is highly unlikely to happen to your aluminium roof.

Agree probably misinformed. The call handler had to keep checking.

We were just interested to see if VW were now accepting that there was bubbling on the main roof. Having dismissed this when I spoke to them previously.
Disappointed they have not put a fix in the production line for this area of the roof. Only the front panel has been changed.
Still dreaming of owning cali
Have a sunny day

Martin said:
Still nothing from VW, I have advised that we want the reply by 5pm today.

Then it's time to...

I told him that aswell Matt !

I have been promised a call back .. Let's see!

All the paperwork is with Heritage now. My dealer has definitely handled this well and clearly realises VW hasn't dealt with this very well at all.

43446838.jpg

Re: Roof Corrosion - Update 13th June

Reply just come in, most of it we already know but it is nice to now have a confirmation about the warranty on the roof front panel extended to six years. I will send an reply back on Monday so please post on here any other concerns that you want raised.

Thank you for your email and telephone calls regarding the Volkswagen California and the repair that some vehicles require to
the front panel.

I have listed below our answers to the questions you have raised, which in turn you intend to share with members of the
Volkswagen California Club and hope that these will prove useful.

1) We are not aware of any link between the front roof panel and main roof corrosion; we would always recommend that customers
with concerns have these inspected at their local Van Centre. Should a customer have a concern with both the roof and front
panel, we would recommend that one claim is submitted by the Van Centre.

2) I can confirm that a production change was made during the second part of 2013 and to date, no vehicle post production have
been presented to us with a corrosion concern.

3) The front panel is covered by our three year paint warranty; however we have now extended this with an additional three years
goodwill to cover up to six years; Anyone who presents this issue to their local Van Centre before the vehicle is six years old
will have their vehicle repaired under warranty, even if the vehicle is actually repaired after this time. As with any bodywork
repair within our Paint and Body Network, the workmanship is guaranteed for three years.

4) We have selected, trained and equipped four bodyshops around the country to carry out this complicated repair. We have also
supplied each centre with two California’s for use as courtesy vehicles whilst customer’s vehicles are repaired. Repairs are
underway at all four sites and continue to be scheduled in at all sites.

Should you or your members have any concerns, we would always suggest that the vehicle is inspected by one of our Volkswagen Van
Centre, details of which can be located via the following link:
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/find-a-van-centre/

I trust that this information will provide you with the assurances that you and your members require, however should you have
any further questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Martin said:
Reply just come in, most of it we already know but it is nice to now have a confirmation about the warranty on the roof front panel extended to six years. I will send an reply back on Monday so please post on here any other concerns that you want raised.

Thank you for your email and telephone calls regarding the Volkswagen California and the repair that some vehicles require to
the front panel.

I have listed below our answers to the questions you have raised, which in turn you intend to share with members of the
Volkswagen California Club and hope that these will prove useful.

But thanks to Martin for the update.

1) We are not aware of any link between the front roof panel and main roof corrosion; we would always recommend that customers
with concerns have these inspected at their local Van Centre. Should a customer have a concern with both the roof and front
panel, we would recommend that one claim is submitted by the Van Centre.

2) I can confirm that a production change was made during the second part of 2013 and to date, no vehicle post production have
been presented to us with a corrosion concern.

3) The front panel is covered by our three year paint warranty; however we have now extended this with an additional three years
goodwill to cover up to six years; Anyone who presents this issue to their local Van Centre before the vehicle is six years old
will have their vehicle repaired under warranty, even if the vehicle is actually repaired after this time. As with any bodywork
repair within our Paint and Body Network, the workmanship is guaranteed for three years.

4) We have selected, trained and equipped four bodyshops around the country to carry out this complicated repair. We have also
supplied each centre with two California’s for use as courtesy vehicles whilst customer’s vehicles are repaired. Repairs are
underway at all four sites and continue to be scheduled in at all sites.

Should you or your members have any concerns, we would always suggest that the vehicle is inspected by one of our Volkswagen Van
Centre, details of which can be located via the following link:
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/find-a-van-centre/

I trust that this information will provide you with the assurances that you and your members require, however should you have
any further questions, please feel free to contact me again.

OK - well that is something but not entirely adequate?
Point at a time -
1) Not content with this point - how many customers with corroding main roofs does it need to be "aware" of a problem? Whilst they don't deny the issue they don't commit to anything at all here.
2) So Q2 2013 the problem with a corroding front panel (only) ceased to be an issue? Has anyone got a build date later than July 1st WITH bubbling on the front panel? I guess this harks back to the fitting of the gasket? Not convinced (but would like to be!)
3) I guess 6 years is a reasonable declaration of support. Needs to be for the main roof also IMO.
4) Whilst I appreciate this repair isn't for just any body shop and necessarily we have to suffer restriction & therefore inconvenience are all centres operating now? Heritage bounced one customer away did they not?

And in respect of concerns - well I don't have any issue with my roof so not much point going to a Commercial Van Centre. My concern is that the issue is recognised by all dealerships (this sounds to have been very patchy due to poor comms from VW) and has inconvenienced many owners more than necessary.

I still feel 38 corroding main roofs = same issue and don't see VW are taking this aspect seriously.
Interested to hear what anyone else thinks?

Seems a reasonable reply. As you say we allready new most of it. Good to know they have started repairs. Just have to wait for van centre to contact with date for repair

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Well done Martin!

Yes well done martin and thanks for all your efforts on this.

Well done for the persistence Martin and of course Susi Bus for getting the ball rolling initially.

In my view I would expect that the entire roof assembly have the warranty extended to 6 years, and I believe this is what we should mutually push for. There is a correlation between the front and rear sections corroding and so far as I am concerned the fact that there have been a number of instances means there is a problem.

Will they write to all owners to notify them officially?

Martin, could you consider the feasibility of taking out some carefully worded adverts in national press? Would this raise the issue to more owners who are perhaps not members here? It would also give VW a shot across the bows with the added opportunity to draw in some interest from the motoring press

What about the steering clonk? It's just another thing to add to the list.

I think we really need to push for the 6 years on both the front panel and the main roof as there is obviously a problem with both.

They say the work is well underway at all four locations, has anyone actually been booked in yet? I would of thought at least one person on here has received a letter or phone call?

We are discussing the 'extension' of the warranty but in reality they aren't giving much away.

They 'should' repair the front panel as part of the current campaign and then as the statement suggests all repairs would then carry a 3 year warranty.

So if you've got a van that is coming up to 3 years old then the repair would add a further 3 years.

The only winners would be if a 2007 van had the repair carried out they would then have 3 years thereafter.

But if the repair is good then there shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Martin said:
I think we really need to push for the 6 years on both the front panel and the main roof as there is obviously a problem with both.

They say the work is well underway at all four locations, has anyone actually been booked in yet? I would of thought at least one person on here has received a letter or phone call?

My thoughts exactly. I might call one of the body shops to find out from them.

Martin & Stu - I am very much in agreement with you. The main roof needs to be acknowledged as a related if not identical issue and warrantied similarly.

I would be pleasantly surprised if VW made an effort to contact owners and I think they would probably be very uncomfortable with us placing an advert but that's certainly an option. Guess it depends on how bothered VW are re customer perceptions...

VWs response is a significant step forward but IMO we do need to finish the job.

Hi folks,

What a disappointment and a worry this issue has caused for so many of us. Corrosion started to appear on my front roof panel a few months after I got my Cali and its progressing accross the front. I was waiting and watching to see how things developed because there was already a tiny blister on the top of the main roof when I got it, which I was unsure about because it could have just been bad spraying. Now I've noticed some more near the seal on the main panel along with a few lumps under the seal which I presume is further bubbling up of the paint.

I discussed this with the van centre in York who are now putting people on the waiting list for the repairs at the selected centres. I asked what the procedure would be for the main roof panel - I don't want a temporary fix that will rot again - and I was told that previously my van centre has replaced the whole roof panel for this issue and have had no problems with the repairs they've done since. I really hope we can put pressure on VW to behave in an honourable way and fix these issues properly for all Cali owners. Meanwhile I take my van in to be photographed next week so I can go on the waiting list

:cry:

Back