Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

Sounds wonderful GrannyJen. Enjoy the sunset tonight! :cool:

I can't believe people are getting so het up about this. Talk of instructing lawyers and seeking recompense. It's bonkers. Crazy bonkers.

In the US there are many lawyers acting as group action for people affected by the scandal ( no win no fee) If this does happen to us in the UK I think call centres will be set up overnight phoning and texting everyone asking if they have been affected by the situation.

I will certainly be claiming compensation if my engine is on the list as we are a very green family and emissions was part of our decision to get a campervan instead of a motorhome on a Fiat base as we compared many different models and the California met our criteria.

On Tuesday, Guenther Scherelis, a spokesman for the commercial vehicles unit - which makes vans and pick-ups - confirmed a report in the German daily Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung that 1.8 million of its vehicles were affected. He did not give further details.

I will certainly be claiming compensation if my engine is on the list as we are a very green family and emissions was part of our decision to get a campervan instead of a motorhome on a Fiat base as we compared many different models and the California met our criteria.
I appreciate your sentiment. We are a pretty green family too and will do whatever we can do reduce the waste we make. We recycle as much as we can, walk to school, cycle where possible etc.

I just can't see how people are going to be able to claim compensation for this?

How are you going to quantify your losses? I think this would be very difficult.

I'm not making light of what VW have done in any way and I think they should have a big book thrown at them. But I can't see any individual being able to make a quantifiable claim other than the inconveneince and time they may lose during the recall "fix".

Even then VW may just do it when it's next in for a service and you'd be no worse off.

We have actually had several lawyers post/approach the forum already for group action! However I think they are confused by the phrase VW California thinking we are actually in California!

Have been in to local VW dealer today to discuss ordering new T6 Cali. Was told that they expect BMW to be "outed" this week, especially the X3 and X5 models. Also Mercedes are in the queue to hit the headlines apparently.

VW Euro 6 engines are squeaky clean (!?) in all senses of the word or so I was told.;)

Just heard on the radio that VW are proposing a remap of the ECU for the affected engines. So does that mean reduced power?

Just checked which engine variant our vehicle has: EA189 CFCA ( found in owners manual) on 2012 180PS 4MOTION 6 SPD so will be expecting a recall in the future for a complimentary 25% (approx) loss of power courtesy of VW. After that a letter to Trading Standards will be in order I think. Others??

2.0 R4 16v TDI CR 81-176kW
identification
Motor type: EA 189 / parts code prefix: 03L, ID codes: CAGA, CAGC, CAHA, CBEA, CBAB, CFFB, CBBB, CBDB, CBDC, CEGA, CFGB, CFCA, CJAA, CLJA
engine configuration & engine displacement
inline four-cylinder (R4/I4) Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) turbodiesel; 1,968 cubic centimetres (120.1 cu in); bore x stroke: 81.0 by 95.5 millimetres (3.19 in × 3.76 in), stroke ratio: 0.85:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 492.1 cc per cylinder, compression ratio: 18:1 (103 kW), 16.5:1 (125 kW)
cylinder block & crankcase
grey cast iron; five main bearings, die-forged steel crankshaft, fracture-split forged steel connecting rods, two counter-rotating gear-driven balance shafts turning at half crankshaft speed, Alcan orFederal-Mogul pistons, cast aluminium alloy oil sump
cylinder head & valvetrain
cast aluminium alloy; four valves per cylinder, 16 valves total, low-friction roller finger cam followers with automatic hydraulic valve clearance compensation, timing belt and gear-driven (relay method: belt drives exhaust camshaft from front of engine, inlet camshaft is driven at rear of engine by gear from exhaust camshaft) double overhead camshaft (DOHC)
aspiration
hot-film air mass meter, electronically regulated variable geometry turbocharger integrated into cast iron exhaust manifold, central front-mounted intercooler (FMIC)
aspiration (147 kW)
twin registered turbochargers with different diameters[citation needed]
fuel system & engine management
low-pressure fuel tank mounted fuel lift pump with underfloor electric fuel relay pump, timing belt-driven high-pressure injection pump delivering up to 1,850-bar (26,830 psi) pressure for the common rail(CR) fuel rail, direct injection (DI) with eight-nozzle output piezo fuel injectors; Bosch EDC 17 electronic engine control unit (ECU)
exhaust system
water-cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), catalytic converter, diesel particulate filter (DPF)
DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs, ID codes, applications
81 kilowatts (110 PS; 109 bhp) + 4,200 rpm; 250 newton metres (184 lbf·ft) + 1,500–2,500 rpm — CBDC
88 kilowatts (120 PS; 118 bhp) + 4,000 rpm; 290 newton metres (214 lbf·ft) + 1,750–2,500 rpm — CAGC SEAT Exeo (09/09->)
103 kilowatts (140 PS; 138 bhp) + 3,750-4,150 rpm; 320 newton metres (236 lbf·ft) + 1,750–2,800 rpm — CFHC, CBEA, CBAB, CFFB, CBDB, CJAA Volkswagen Golf Mk6
105 kilowatts (143 PS; 141 bhp) + 4,200 rpm; 320 newton metres (236 lbf·ft) + 1,750–2,500 rpm — Audi B8 A4, Audi Q5, SEAT Exeo (CAGA: 12/08->)
110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 bhp) + 3,500 rpm; 320 newton metres (236 lbf·ft) + 1,750–3,000 rpm — CRBC Audi A3, Golf VII, SEAT Leon
125 kilowatts (170 PS; 168 bhp) + 4,200 rpm; 350 newton metres (258 lbf·ft) + 1,750–2,500 rpm — CBBB VW passat cc, CFGB Audi TT 2.0 TDI quattro, Audi 8P A3, Volkswagen Golf Mk6, Škoda Octavia RS TDI (CEGA: 2008->), SEAT Exeo (CAHA: 02/09->), CEGA SEAT Leon
130 kilowatts (177 PS; 174 bhp) + 4,200 rpm; 380 newton metres (280 lbf·ft) + 1,750–2,500 rpm— CGLC Audi A4, Audi A5, Audi A6,
132 kilowatts (179 PS; 177 bhp) + 4,000 rpm; 400 newton metres (295 lbf·ft) + 1,500–2,000 rpm — CFCA Volkswagen Transporter (T5) GP biturbo
135 kilowatts (184 PS; 181 bhp) + 4,000 rpm; 380 newton metres (280 lbf·ft) + 1,750–3,000 rpm — CUNA Audi A3, Golf VII, SEAT Leon
140 kilowatts (190 PS; 188 bhp) + 3,800 rpm; 400 newton metres (300 lbf·ft) — CNHA Audi B8 A4, Volkswagen Passat 2015[18]
176 kilowatts (239 PS; 236 bhp) + 4,000 rpm; 500 newton metres (369 lbf·ft) — CUAA Volkswagen Passat 2015 TDI BiTurbo[18]
applications
Audi TT Mk2 2.0 TDI quattro (CBBB: 06/08-05/10), Audi 8P A3 (CBBB: 07/08->), Audi B8 A4, Audi Q5, SEAT Leon Mk2 (1P), SEAT Altea, SEAT Toledo Mk3 (5P), SEAT Exeo, Škoda Octavia Mk2 (1Z)(125 kW), Škoda Superb Mk2 (3T) (103/125 kW), Škoda Yeti (81/103/125 kW), Volkswagen Golf Mk6, VW Jetta Mk5 TDI CleanDiesel (103 kW), Volkswagen Tiguan, Volkswagen Passat CC, Volkswagen Passat, Volkswagen Transporter (T5)

Borris,

It is very easy for me to say but I think you are doing the right thing.

Whilst others are fretting you will be out enjoying yourselves. A cali is a Cali, that does not change regardless of which bit of engine software is doing what.

I am typing this currently sat on top of the white cliffs of Dover. It is a gorgeous day, I have no idea where I am stopping tonight, I never even expected to be here when I left Chatham this morning. The vehicle as usual provides me with a superb driving experience, the camper provides me with all the choices, flexibility and comforts that I ever want.

Regardless of what happens it is still a cali. We are talking 11m vehicles world wide affected of which some, less than 50,000, are California's and we have no idea what effect, if any,there is. The demand for a camper will not go away just because someone fiddled the emissions and most campers are on VW vehicles so I would really doubt that beyond the 2nd quarter of next year there will be any impact.
Hi GrannyJen,
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.
Gosh, I you are only a few miles away sitting at one of our favourite spots. Would you like to meet up? We could even find you some dinner, a bed for the night and a few scraps for breakfast. (Wine included of course). Or just a cup of tea if you would prefer. No pressure.

Last edited:
also 700,000 seats need upgrades

John

Heehee, I've been trying to figure out what seats could need upgrading, driver? front passenger? I know there are fuses somewhere, but engine bits? ..............then the penny dropped :D

Borris

Thank you for that very kind offer. I would have loved to meet up but I am now 50 miles further down the coast :(

Just heard on the radio that VW are proposing a remap of the ECU for the affected engines. So does that mean reduced power?

I have a real problem with this. I cant see how, simply re-mapping the engine will reduce emissions without sacrificing performance or reliability...???
This isn't acceptable in my view as its one of the reasons why I purchased the 140bhp model in the first instance. Unless they can reduce emissions and keep the same Bhp, I will be asking for a full refund including interest on monies for the last 3 years of ownership.

I will not be returning my van to Volkswagen to have its performance reduced:stop

on the other boards they are suggesting a 180 will have to be reduced to approximately 161

Agree with the above, going to want to know details of what the remap involves and assurance in writing that it will not detrimentally affect any other aspects (mpg, co2, power, torque or engine life).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you think the people that re-map engines manage to get increased performance AND better fuel consumption with a better emissions profile or any variation of these 3 parameters.
Engine Management Systems are often programmed for a common denominator often Fuel Quality.
In the Western World we have quality fuel so the vehicle can be programmed accordingly, whereas in other countries with lower quality fuels a different map is required. Also the maps are generic whereas you could also get a bespoke map for your engine.

So, thinking ahead,
Return Cali to dealership for vw remap.
Pursue compensation from VW.
Spend small part of that cash on a Pendle Performance remap to give me back my power plus some extra.
Job done.

I'll settle for a new 204hp EU6 engine replacement! :D

Has anyone actually come out and said that VW have cheated emissions in Europe. Yes the ecu has the "cheat software" but how much if anything does it affect NOX emissions is still unclear. There are lots of people talking about tax class yet this is based on Co2 . So lots of miss information. So I am going to sit tight and wait and see. Unfortunately we have the Cali advertised a week before this all blew up so the timing was awful.

On the topic of compensation. Can VW afford to pay people or refund people the cost of 11 million cars. Start doing the maths.. VW have clearly done wrong and a hefty fine is in order, but do any of us want to see the company go out if business or be so heavily cash strapped that they close factories, make 1000's redundant and affect the lives of workers who out of no fault of their own are impacted.

So let's all chill a bit , wait and see what goes off and if we are affected make informed decisions when all the information is available to us.

I agree it is best to sit tight and not get too worked up over this at present. There is a lot of speculation flying about and until there is some 'action' no one other that some people at VW will know the outcome.

I have a real problem with this. I cant see how, simply re-mapping the engine will reduce emissions without sacrificing performance or reliability...???
This isn't acceptable in my view as its one of the reasons why I purchased the 140bhp model in the first instance. Unless they can reduce emissions and keep the same Bhp, I will be asking for a full refund including interest on monies for the last 3 years of ownership.

I will not be returning my van to Volkswagen to have its performance reduced:stop
Don't worry, they found a bloke says he can do that job. (His name is Yosser Hughes BTW.)

I am just waiting and seeing,

As long as I end up with a camper that does the job as well as the one I am sitting in right now then I will be happy.

Back