Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW servicing rant - Money for what exactly? not brake fluid thats for sure

That scam is alive and kicking, actually its the favourite one. Trouble is so many folk just get done over
During my last service (three years old ) i was told i needed new discs and brake pads. i said no. Two weeks later had its first mot at my local mot station and sailed through. i asked about the state of the rear brakes and they said plenty of meat on them and the discs were fine. Wont be going back to vw service unless i really have to, and they still called asking when i wanted to book it in to get the brakes done......
Similar experience.... main dealer service/inspection plus MOT. I get a call saying that they found both rear tyres (less than 3k mile) had damage and would fail the MOT if they were to carry out test. So I was pleased that they’d saved me the cost of a MOT fail. Luckily they didn’t have a pair of tyres available so I took the Cali to my local MOT & tyre garage who could only find one tyre with damage .... so they get to supply tyre and carry out MOT. Saved about £150 and lost confidence (again) in dealer.
Now my van is getting on, it’s going to be independents for me!

The app doesn't seem to supported any more, so I went on to the website, registered and when I put my Reg Plate in it wouldn't take it as it's a 'commercial vehicle'. What have I missed ?
The new app is called ‘My VW’ not the old one ‘we connect’.

If it makes you feel better I've just paid £934 for a 5yr service, MOT and new front struct gaiters on my Outlander PHEV.

Only done 32k and only 5000miles since the last service which cost £400. It seems the services from now on in include an annual value check so circa £450 annually. Based on the fact I use the electric 90% of the time that's an engine valve check every 500miles.

If it makes you feel better I've just paid £934 for a 5yr service, MOT and new front struct gaiters on my Outlander PHEV.

Only done 32k and only 5000miles since the last service which cost £400. It seems the services from now on in include an annual value check so circa £450 annually. Based on the fact I use the electric 90% of the time that's an engine valve check every 500miles.
No Sir......

We Connect works for me. Running the App on an iPhone X and it shows all the vitals for my new t6.1
Depends on the age of an Apple device whether a particular App works. I.e. Some TV Apps such as ITV Hub and All4 are no longer supported on my old iPad but do work on my iPhone.
As an aside, and I might be wrong but I thought that the My VW App only applied to VW cars not vans?

We Connect works for me. Running the App on an iPhone X and it shows all the vitals for my new t6.1
Depends on the age of an Apple device whether a particular App works. I.e. Some TV Apps such as ITV Hub and All4 are no longer supported on my old iPad but do work on my iPhone.
As an aside, and I might be wrong but I thought that the My VW App only applied to VW cars not vans?
Just noticed on the App Store that VW is indeed dropping the My VW App.
We Connect still supported. I think that will remain the case as its integrated with the Discover Media Pro package.

Just noticed on the App Store that VW is indeed dropping the My VW App.
We Connect still supported. I think that will remain the case as its integrated with the Discover Media Pro package.
That We-Connect app is crap. I entered the vin of our 204 Ocean and it comes back with a picture of a Velle and tells me it’s a 150! Plus it doesn’t do or tell you anything useful.

89576B1D-8DBF-44A4-AC02-FAB915BD41F7.jpeg

Last edited:
That We-Connect app is crap. I entered the vin of our 204 Ocean and it comes back with a picture of a Velle and tells me it’s a 150! Plus it doesn’t do or tell you anything useful.

View attachment 69642
Yes its a bit underwhelming but don't you get any vehicle metrics, position on a map, navigation info (ie where’s the nearest petrol station), etc?

i can't gety further than the VIN . says not available or not found or something

Whoops, seem to have duplicated some puctures.

I agree....

With a main dealer service all you are paying for is..

1) An oil and filter change
2) A stamp in your book
...and also a load of checks so they can find something to charge you the earth for when in reality it probably doesn't need urgent attention.
Not sure this is quite relevant but a friend with an Audi was shocked at the quote from Audi for a service so he went over the road to Skoda and they quoted much lower for the same thing! They got the job ! Some time later he again visited the Audi garage and the subject of the service came up so my friend told them what he had done. The reply was that he should have told them and they would price match ! My friend asked why they didn't just charge a reasonable price in the first place but didn't get a straight answer.

5th gen Haldex service falls due every 3 years.
This is not covered either. If you ask VW main dealer to carry out be sure they don't just change the Haldex oil. They need to remove the pump motor and clean the gauze inlet mesh too. Ask for a before and after photo of the gauze to make sure they do it!

Latest edition of service intervals includes MY21 vehicles.

Attachments

• California Additional Service Intervals incl MY21.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 71
Intresting to see ”clean sliding window seals” on the list “ every three years !
Cam belt now 120k - not time specific !

Intresting to see ”clean sliding window seals” on the list “ every three years !
From my experience the complete windows need replacing more frequently than every 3 years!

Cam belt now 120k ? That would mean 95% of Cambelts are NEVER changed. Working on mine does average of 4K miles year I’m sorted for life.

Cam belt now 120k ? That would mean 95% of Cambelts are NEVER changed. Working on mine does average of 4K miles year I’m sorted for life.
120,000 kilometres or 75,000 miles.

Back