Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Pump keeps running without any tap open

Just did what was suggested and disconnected the tap via the draw so at least we have the other facilities working now!
Thanks to the contributors for the temporary fix.
Will book in when back.
Hi Simon

Did you get your kitchen tap/pump issue resolved? If so what did they do? I have had to go to VW Customer Services as my local VW Garage just didn't come back to me. They now want it in for 'investigation' as though its an unknown problem.
Thanks,
Linda

Hi, I ran into a problem with GC600 (early 2020). The waterpump keeps running even without any tap open.

Checked the fuse - It's ok. When I put I back, it starts running again.

Check the outdoor shower, it is turned off.

I opened the water tank; the pump is (logically) got. But no symptoms of anything wrong.

Any idea what to look for?
Many thanks.
Have the same problem on my 6 week old GC600, it’s going on on the 27th for a new pump, tap and control panel. If I continue to have the problem, I’ll wire in a switch to turn off the pump as it liytally runs the battery flat.

Have the same problem on my 6 week old GC600, it’s going on on the 27th for a new pump, tap and control panel. If I continue to have the problem, I’ll wire in a switch to turn off the pump as it literally runs the battery flat.

I have two GC 600s on my fleet. Between them I am now looking at 5 tap replacements in 12 months.The taps are just terrible, such poor quality. It continues to be not something HQ VW are aware of, I just keep ordering new ones under warranty. Hopefully some bean counter will get the message sooner or later.

Hello Linda,
Thanks for the update. It seems disappointing that VW haven't got the issue sorted. I'll keep you posted if I get anything resolved.
Alan
Hi Alan

Did you get your kitchen tap/pump problem sorted out? My replacement tap did exactly the same within two days of use and I am waiting to see what VW HQ have to say as my VW Garage don't know anything about what is causing the problem and there is no direction from VW HQ. Very frustrating.

kind regards
Linda

Hi
We are on our 3rd day of NC500 trip and once again the kitchen tap has started playing up after two days of use. kitchen tap now seems to have taken whole water circuit out so nothing is working. No loo flush, shower tap, external shower or kitchen sink! Does anyone have any ideas please?
we can’t pull apart the connector under the sink as VW garage have made it too tight after the first time it went in for new tap. won’t come apart. Turned off elec supply from the fuse box to try reboot but didn’t work. Would be grateful of any help as we are literally near John O’Groats - so far from home :((
Linda

I know I don't have a GC, but I'm interested in this problem.
The GC has a mixer tap so I presume it supplies hot and cold water automatically?
You don't have to manually switch on the water heater?
If that is the case then the tap must activate the water pump And activate the water heater simultaneously.
Therefore I doubt if the tap is switching directly but instead is switching a relay or signalling the Control Panel software that switches the pump and heater.
What happens if the tap is only used on Cold, no water heater activation?
Welshgas, the tap does not activate the water heater. The water heater is a small tank that is preheated by diesel, gas or electric depending on options. Turning the mixer with two feeds hot and cold simply means if the water comes direct from the cold supply tank or via the hot water tank. If you haven’t had the water heater on for a while then you simply get cold water thru on the hot side also. Effectively on activation by the tap hot or cold , it just pumps cold water into the hot or cold circuit and to either side of the tap.
Hi
Wondered if you could give us any advice on the dreaded kitchen tap/pump problem. Currently near John O’Groats on NC500 and kitchen tap causing problems again (been replaced once). But this time has affected whole water system so no shower, toilet or outdoor shower. No water at all. Tank is 70% full. Switched power off to try reboot but no success. Can’t pull apart connector under sink as jammed together since VW replaced tap. Do you have any ideas at all apart from cutting the wires behind middle drawer?
Any help/advice would be so welcome.
Kind tegards
Linda

Hi
Wondered if you could give us any advice on the dreaded kitchen tap/pump problem. Currently near John O’Groats on NC500 and kitchen tap causing problems again (been replaced once). But this time has affected whole water system so no shower, toilet or outdoor shower. No water at all. Tank is 70% full. Switched power off to try reboot but no success. Can’t pull apart connector under sink as jammed together since VW replaced tap. Do you have any ideas at all apart from cutting the wires behind middle drawer?
Kind tegards
Linda
You’re going to have to somehow pull that connector apart and check to see if any fuses have blown.

You’re going to have to somehow pull that connector apart and check to see if any fuses have blown.
No fuses blown. Have one pair of pliers but couldn’t get it apart. Will see if we can buy/borrow another set to hold on to both ends tomorrow. Meanwhile got the hairdryer on the tap to see if drying it out helps? Slid a bit of kitchen towel under it earlier and it came out wet through.
thank you for coming back to me so quickly!

Linda

No fuses blown. Have one pair of pliers but couldn’t get it apart. Will see if we can buy/borrow another set to hold on to both ends tomorrow. Meanwhile got the hairdryer on the tap to see if drying it out helps? Slid a bit of kitchen towel under it earlier and it came out wet through.
thank you for coming back to me so quickly!

Linda
Linda are you sure the fuse has not blown ie second one in on the left in the electrical cabinet. Think it’s the brown 5 amp.
Will

Hi
Kind tegards
Linda
I think you will find there is a clip holding the connector together. I would be very surprised if it didn’t have a clip and just trying to pull it apart with pliers probably won’t work.

I concur with welshgas. Connectors usually lock together using some sort of clip. They need pricing apart gently with a small screwdriver. In this case I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the connector plastics. But if that was shorted it would just run the pump all the time? Still worth taking apart as it may be down to earth. Could it be the pump? Does the pump supply the toilet on these things?

Linda are you sure the fuse has not blown ie second one in on the left in the electrical cabinet. Think it’s the brown 5 amp.
Will
Hi Will
Thank you so much for coming back to me so quickly. None of the fuses had blown. Had turned everything on and off again with no joy. As a last resort I got my hairdryer on the kitchen tap as I know somebody on the forum in the past suggested this and after literally 20 minutes of hot air blowing on the kitchen tap everything is now working, but we are not going to go anywhere near the kitchen tap again for the rest of the trip! Hopefully everything else will continue working. Just so miserable. Recording all of this as booked in for investigation when we get home.
I take it you have not had any issues with yours? Tried my best to keep the sink/tap area dry but didn’t make any difference.
Kind regards
Linda

Hi Will
Thank you so much for coming back to me so quickly. None of the fuses had blown. Had turned everything on and off again with no joy. As a last resort I got my hairdryer on the kitchen tap as I know somebody on the forum in the past suggested this and after literally 20 minutes of hot air blowing on the kitchen tap everything is now working, but we are not going to go anywhere near the kitchen tap again for the rest of the trip! Hopefully everything else will continue working. Just so miserable. Recording all of this as booked in for investigation when we get home.
I take it you have not had any issues with yours? Tried my best to keep the sink/tap area dry but didn’t make any difference.
Kind regards
Linda
I’m glad you got it working! Now you can enjoy the rest of the nc500 which is amazing.

Hi Will
Kind regards
Linda
Hi Linda,

Pleased you have it fixed for now. Lucky enough for now. I do my best to keep water from the tap area! Ironic is it not. A damn tap and you can’t get it wet.
Great news with the hair dryer.

VW have got to do something about the tap spec. So many owners with the same issue.

Hope all else is going well on your NC 500 trip.

Take care.

Will

Hi Linda,

Pleased you have it fixed for now. Lucky enough for now. I do my best to keep water from the tap area! Ironic is it not. A damn tap and you can’t get it wet.
Great news with the hair dryer.

VW have got to do something about the tap spec. So many owners with the same issue.

Hope all else is going well on your NC 500 trip.

Take care.

Will
Maybe when VW hear that people are having to use 240v hair dryer near a sink to dry out the tap it may spark them into action.

Maybe when VW hear that people are having to use 240v hair dryer near a sink to dry out the tap it may spark them into action.
One can only hope, but I had mail today from a member from the German forum advising that VW are still incorrectly wiring the WiFi router!

One can only hope, but I had mail today from a member from the German forum advising that VW are still incorrectly wiring the WiFi router!
They must have sent all the developers and resources over to the electric vehicle side of the company. Surprised by the router issue as that’s an easy correction to make with a simple memo to the factory.

They must have sent all the developers and resources over to the electric vehicle side of the company. Surprised by the router issue as that’s an easy correction to make with a simple memo to the factory.
Yep would have thought so but guess not so many people chose that as an option. So not many memos.

Ha ha I hope it does. Going in next Tuesday so they can ‘investigate’ . Now now using the kitchen tap at all so everything else working so far. Regards. Linda

Ha ha I hope it does. Going in next Tuesday so they can ‘investigate’ . Now now using the kitchen tap at all so everything else working so far. Regards. Linda
Linda will be interesting to see/hear their diagnosis and then remedies.
Good luck.

Hello,

It seems that the tap in the kitchen is responsible for a lot of the water supply issues in the camper.

At the moment my GC 600 is with the VW dealer to get the tap, pump and camper control unit changed (God only knows how long that will take now).

I discussed this with my VW dealer. He agreed, if the issue comes up again, to install a different tap and water pump for me. That is fair.

I plan to get the following in:

I would love to have a tap from Comet, but it seems they have no tap that fits into the Dometic MO 9722 R (27mm tap size). I hope latest after that change it will work more reliably.

Happy flowing water California
Eberhard

Hello,

It seems that the tap in the kitchen is responsible for a lot of the water supply issues in the camper.

At the moment my GC 600 is with the VW dealer to get the tap, pump and camper control unit changed (God only knows how long that will take now).

I discussed this with my VW dealer. He agreed, if the issue comes up again, to install a different tap and water pump for me. That is fair.

I would love to have a tap from Comet, but it seems they have no tap that fits into the Dometic MO 9722 R (27mm tap size). I hope latest after that change it will work more reliably.

Eberhard
Hi Eberhard
Let’s hope they change the tap specification for everybody.
Apparently the pump is available now from your local VW commercial stockist I will be placing an order shortly for when I’m away if I ever need to replace the pump I’ll have one at hand.

Good luck

Apparently the pump is available now from your local VW commercial stockist I will be placing an order shortly for when I’m away if I ever need to replace the pump I’ll have one at hand

Hello Jester,

If we start our tour through Scandinavia next year I will ensure that we will have a spare pump as well. But at that stage the original VW pump will be still working or we will have the Comet pump installed.

Equally the tap. Either we have no further problems with the original VW tap or we get the tap I mentioned above or a similar tap von Reich.

I contacted Comet Germany about their taps. Unfortunately their taps are 33mm or bigger. I will not ask (or expect) my VW dealer to widen the installation whole for the tap. I would have prefered the Comet taps, because they are all IP rated. I could not find anything for the taps of Reich.

But normally Reich has a good reputation. So I hope that not all taps are bad.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

Eberhard
Hi Eberhard

Thanks for your post. Ours is going in tomorrow and I have documented in detail what happened as it's our second tap. Back home last night and had stopped using kitchen tap for rest of trip and everything else behaved. Going in tomorrow to VW. Will post outcome. Good luck with yours. Let us know how it goes!

Regards
Linda

Back