Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Well done the BBC

True, the relevance of reporting it is valid, but taking it out of context is not. Nothing related to the European shortage of HGV drivers. No different to the Gas supply issues. No context. Europe has the same problems with supply as well, but very little if any mention on the BBC.
Having watched the BBC news yesterday, they did have comment on the fact that there is a shortage of European drivers, saw it myself so they are reporting it

I dont think that is correct - certainly if you include online reporting on BBC it is here:
How serious is the shortage of lorry drivers? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/57810729

This article puts it in the context of EU wide shortage but makes the point that it is worse here post Brexit because many EU drivers have gone home.
Similarly - this on gas prices makes clear that shortages are EU wide but Britain has a particular set of circumstances which make it worse here:
Gas prices: Why are they so high and what is the energy price cap? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533

Plus we were holding less volume as a buffer than most EU countries and so vulnerable to running out quicker.

I personally dont see the argument that BBC is purposely positioning to exacerbate these crises because there are clearly underlying structural reasons why they are happening, rather than simple media manipulation causing panic buying.

True, the relevance of reporting it is valid, but taking it out of context is not. Nothing related to the European shortage of HGV drivers. No different to the Gas supply issues. No context. Europe has the same problems with supply as well, but very little if any mention on the BBC.
Welshgas .. I am genuinely interested what do you consider a reliable news source that you personally trust or use ?

In addition just blaming the BBC for reporting this seems unfair, it ignores all the other media channels that had the exact same stories, ITN, C4, Sky news, independent radio, and most if not all papers, why just single out the BBC ?

I was watching news night the other night and they had a whole segment on the European and UK gas and driver supply issue

Went to fill up my Cali on Friday, guy I front had put 78p of fuel in his car to keep it brimmed. He then couldn’t pay by card because it was under a £5 so had to drive to the nearest cash point, 2 miles away. Idiot.
Im glad I filled up though because every filling station near me is now sold out.

The point is on this thread,the media! Including the BBC latched onto a very small story and created panic.
BP report they are having driver issues and cannot supply a very very small number of its sites. 48 hrs later petrol stations have all sold out after a quick price hike. Why this week do BP have less drivers than last week?

Media reporting is responsible for this weekend. The HGV driver crisis! Who labelled it a crisis?

The point is on this thread,the media! Including the BBC latched onto a very small story and created panic.
BP report they are having driver issues and cannot supply a very very small number of its sites. 48 hrs later petrol stations have all sold out after a quick price hike. Why this week do BP have less drivers than last week?

Media reporting is responsible for this weekend. The HGV driver crisis! Who labelled it a crisis?
Yes hyped up names don’t help, but we are short of 100K drivers, thats a problem for sure

In addition just blaming the BBC for reporting this seems unfair, it ignores all the other media channels that had the exact same stories, ITN, C4, Sky news, independent radio, and most if not all papers, why just single out the BBC ?
Because unlike all the others it’s a public service funded by what is essentially a tax.
They should be cutting through the noise and presenting balanced facts.
If you read past the attention grabbing headlines they generally do.
Sadly the muppets in the queues don’t.
The BBC should recognise that and needs to do better providing balance rather than simply joining the fray.

Who has decided it’s 100k short. Funny thing, buddy works for DHL HGV‘s as a driver, you might expect with such a shortage overtime would be a premium, nah, they are ok and reasonably well staffed.

I do not get the critisism of the BBC. Here they went into detail, which seems balanced. Can you show me where ITV,SKY,C4 or any others have tried to do the same.

Seems pretty clear to me that there is a generalised problem around Europe but it is worse here than in most other reasons. The lack of forward planning despite MONTHS of warning suggests very poor government planning. Pretty poor from the opposition as we..

Covid is a problem but to my mind whatever the pros of Brexit may be the current problem seems clesrly to partly come from this. We shall see but my guess is it will get a lot worse before it gets better. Let’s see!

I dont think that is correct - certainly if you include online reporting on BBC it is here:
How serious is the shortage of lorry drivers? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/57810729

This article puts it in the context of EU wide shortage but makes the point that it is worse here post Brexit because many EU drivers have gone home.
But not in their headline news story.

Having watched the BBC news yesterday, they did have comment on the fact that there is a shortage of European drivers, saw it myself so they are reporting it
Not just EU. There’s also a truck driver shortage in USA and Canada, leading to gas stations running out of fuel and higher fuel prices, been going on a while.

I was watching news night the other night and they had a whole segment on the European and UK gas and driver supply issue
Was it one of the headline news stories?
I very much doubt it. More likely towards the end.

Welshgas .. I am genuinely interested what do you consider a reliable news source that you personally trust or use ?
I very much doubt if you are genuinely interested. It’s the BBC BUT not the headline pages which are attention gathering for all the wrong reasons.

an interesting report in the Telegraph suggesting BP unable to keep supply of fuel might have been lobbying ploy to drive relaxation of visa rules for drivers! Always something behind the stories.
sorry don’t have the link.
like I say funny the managed last week and week before

Grant Shapps effectively said, "there's a bear in the corner of the room, don't look at it!" and I'd suggest most of the blame for this should be levelled at him.

The media response was predictable and I'm suprised so many people are getting upset about it.

I thought this news headline was worse (although not completely unrelated)

If there isn't any news, they'll make some up.

At least there will be some rain tomorrow.

Heavy rain may lead to some disruption on Monday morning.
- Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer
- Bus and train services probably affected with journey times taking longer
- Flooding of a few homes and businesses is likely

Best stay at home.

One for the conspiracy theorists, engineered fuel shortages to accelerate the “dash” to electric vehicles ?

Our car actually need some fuel today as we were down to 50 mile range. Every petrol station in the area has sold out!
Well done lemmings :mad:

Back