Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What design changes would you like to see on a T7 California?

T7 - Wish List

1 - Decent engines 3.0V6 Diesel Please
2 - Hand brake that doesn’t foul the drivers swivel seat
3 - Split opening rear tailgate
4 - Roof solar panels
5 - Beach side storage area, redesign. It’s almost useless
6 - Sliding storage area under rear multiflex
7 - Spare wheel locked from the inside of the vehicle
8 - Multiflex attached to seat and slides with chair
9 - Better internal lighting
10 - Improved poptop fabric, better insulation & weather resistance

Borris agree, the prices are getting very silly. We originally bought ours to replace a van I converted which we used on weekends. The Beach was far more flexible and we ended up using it as our main vehicle. This has increased the wear and tear and added more miles than we anticipated.
Thus we would now like a replacement, but the silly prices are putting us off.
Our van, ex demo cost us £34k in 2012. We added diesel heater and 230v hookup. Otherwise it’s a great spec van. Replacement with diesel heater and climatic, being the only extras on our current vehicle pushes its cost pass £50k. It’s doesn’t feel like value for money, for what is essentially a builders van, with a tent upstairs...

11 - Curtains, instead of those stupid roll up blinds

• Disagree
Reactions: Jez
This is all totally personal but I would like my next Cali..

To have a lithium-ion leasure battery. They are available and you would only need one battery under the seat. You can run them almost totally flat, they are half the weight and last a lifetime.

To do away with the wardrobe and and just continue the glass worktop all the way to the back. With the rear leasure battery gone the space could be used to lower the water tank and allow for useful storage space under the rear lift up worktop. Or the space could be used for a hot water tank. They have them on yachts and are heated by engine coolent or mains. Main reason is I want a 360 degree view when in bed downstairs and a nice big surface right next to me for wine n stuff.

To have headlights that you can see by as standard. Most car manufacturers now fit LED as standard mid range upwards. Shame on you VW

To be better insulated from noise and heat/cool.

To have an option of no pop top. Lots more headroom, much lighter, no corrosion, more stealth and no guests.

To make a new multi flex thing that is sprung and level with rest of the bed. Then include a decent 70mm thick folding mattresses that is super comfortable. I'd also like the multi flex thing to raise on a up on gas struts parallelogram style. That way you could easily lift the whole shelf, get to what you want then push it down to lock it back into place.

To not have that awful camper control unit. What a load of 70's shite. I want a colourful screen with lots more info including solar charging stats with no rotary breaks as you look at it knob. VW just use up down and enter buttons.... please!

To have a master remote control. On this all in one device it will have heater control, locking control, lights on outside button (for when things go bump in the night outside), a panic button that makes a right load of noise and flashes every thing and a roof lift control so you can stand outside and see that the bellows ain't being trashed in a blow. Oh and can it have a holder upstairs and down and be disabled / made child proof.

To have more off road options. I love my alpine dirt tracks so I would like under body protection options, a choice of ride heights, larger wheel options, lower range reverse gear on DSG, rattle free awning etc.

To have an electric hand brake so that the front seat swivel can me make offset so as you swivel them they come closer together, more so for the passenger side. Then again get Sony to make the whole swivel thing electric and include it on the master remote.

To have a small oven and maybe a grill.

To have a dishwasher. Haha. If only.

To have harder paint. Christ even a freather can scratch this stuff.

To have a heater with a way lower setting. Even on one it's too hot to sleep with. Faced with the choice of sweating or ice I choose the latter.

To have darker glass tint options.

Now I could keep going for hours. Don't get me wrong I love my mobile mini penthouse. In no other place have I woken to so many amazing views.

Got to feed the dog and myself as this is the last night of my 5 weeks off grid in the tops of the mountains in Italy. Errr.. well I'm north France now.

Hope there is some food for thought for someone.

Hello Chris,
In my opening post on this thread I sugessed the following design improvement on any future T7:

6. Any future T7 design rather than a warmed over T6 mk2, could be based on a modular system so that you buy the base van with parking heater and swivel seats etc and then add the elements that you require to meet your personal needs. There are several companies that already offer removable pods etc. why can't the interior be designed by VW to be easily removable modular self contained units that aid greater versatility. You could still achieve the same layout but with the ability to remove or adapt it. Servicing and repairs to certain elements would also be easier.

With some thoughtful detailed design, VW could produce lhd and rhd base California vehicles with standard sliding doors on both sides a' la Carravelle. This would add to this vehicles versatility and have some very practical advantages over the T5/6 arrangement. The self contained removable sink, cooker and fridge modules etc, that I have suggested, could be reversible to enable them to be fitted into a universal fixing system, on either side of the vehicle. With this system you would buy a base T7 California vehicle with roof bed and twin sliding doors. This base vehicle could be ordered with the usual selection of power trains, gearbox, headlight etc options.
Having recently owned a T5 SE and a T6 Beach at the same time I can see that these two vehicles are individually superb at what they do but with a bit more imagination you could easily have both vehicles in one using a modular format. This wouldn't suit some people but for others it would prove very useful. Just imagine needing a people carrier or a load lugger for day to day use but you would like an Ocean for hoildays and trips away. You could either specify the various seats and modules when you buy the vehicle or VW could hire them to you as and when you need them. That is, if they can be bothered.

There would be numerous advantages to this system:
1. You could have a Beach with all the various seating configurations and load lugging versatilty for every day use. Your passengers would be able to alight on the curb and not into the traffic.
2. You could put in the minimum of modules for a weekend away e.g possibly fridge and/or cooker modules.
3. If you are going on a longer trip in the UK you could fit the modules you want to the off side, enabling the near side sliding door to be available on the curb side.
4. For visits to the continent fit them on the near side as per the current arrangement.
5. The redundant sliding door would provide access for servicing the modules from their rear e.g filling and emptying water containers and changing gas cylinders. There is no reason why these modules cannot be an excellent fit and trimmed neatly to the redundant sliding door.
6. VW could provide an extra table stored in the second sliding door. Very useful for picnics with more than two persons.
7. The second sliding door would do away with the need for the water filler on the side of the van and the possibility of someone filling your water tank with diesel.
8. You could hire or buy each module as and when you need/can afford it.
9. VW could supply the interiors in a range of colours and finishes to suit all tastes.
10. Faults and serving of items like the fridge, gas system or water tanks would be a much easier bench strip and fix of the individual module rather than the potentially expensive kichen strip out as at present. The current system is, IMO, unnecessarily complex.
11. The second sliding door would do away with the large panel on the near side. This is an expensive panel to replace if accident damage is incurred. At least the damage would possibly be confined to one of the near side panels and therefore cheaper to fix.

There are many other possibilities in such a system. Possibly modules adapted to enable the vehicle to be used as a mobile office, art studio etc etc.

The second sliding door would only enhance these many possibilities.

Best wishes
Paul
what a load of rubbish. good job your not on the design team

I'd like the T7 to have less grumbly owners, yes I have small niggles with mine but ultimately it does everything I need and yes I could have got a vehicle that did the same for many thousands less but I'm very fortunate to not have to do so, I could have even bought a massive great white that was basically a house on wheels but let's not go there hey?

I bought this vehicle to give me years of pleasure for my family and that is exactly what I will do, sod all the little quirks, I will find a way around them one way or another.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, isn't that consumer choice? These forums are priceless for realising all of the compromises before a purchase is made and yet people still seem to ignore all that and go on to do nothing but complain.

Last edited:
I'd like the T7 to have less grumbly owners, yes I have small niggles with mine but ultimately it does everything I need and yes I could have got a vehicle that did the same for many thousands less but I'm very fortunate to not have to do so, I could have even bought a massive great white that was basically a house on wheels but let's not go there hey?

I've bought this vehicle to give me years of pleasure for my family and that is exactly what I will do, sod all the little quirks, I will find a way around them one way or another.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, isn't that consumer choice? These forums are priceless for realising all of the compromises before a purchase is made and yet people still seem to ignore all that and go on to do nothing but complain.

This thread is titled "What design changes would you like to see on a T7 California?". if your answer to that is "Absolutely none", then great.

But why is it complaining to want to see the Cali design evolve and improve, and to have views on how?

I enjoy my California and am quite happy to work round some of its inevitable limitations. But I find it quite interesting to read people's ideas, basic or bonkers, on how the next generation might be. And I hope VW read them too.

This thread is titled "What design changes would you like to see on a T7 California?". if your answer to that is "Absolutely none", then great.

But why is it complaining to want to see the Cali design evolve and improve, and to have views on how?

I enjoy my California and am quite happy to work round some of its inevitable limitations. But I find it quite interesting to read people's ideas, basic or bonkers, on how the next generation might be. And I hope VW read them too.
Me too but some answers go far beyond the reasonable expected changes that VW will/could implement without increasing the already "crazy prices".

There are many sensible offerings on the thread and I would agree with a good few but let's be honest here, it's not going to be anything revolutionary.

Me too but some answers go far beyond the reasonable expected changes that VW will/could implement without increasing the already "crazy prices".

There are many sensible offerings on the thread and I would agree with a good few but let's be honest here, it's not going to be anything revolutionary.

Now Mercedes have moved back into the market with the Marco Polo and other rivals on the way. The T7 is an opportunity for Volkswagen to bring forward ground breaking ideas to the segment, to cement their place as market leader IMO

Last edited:

I agree with your last prediction. But that's because it's actually quite rare for revolutionary (or 'disruptive', in the jargon) innovation to come from the incumbent in a sector -- in this case VW -- who can usually only manage incremental enhancements due to the risk calculus: too much to lose by cannibalising their cash cow (sorry to the vegetarians out there), and other organisational inflexibilities. The academics call it 'path dependency'.

To illustrate: Apple were disruptive innovators in launching the iPhone a decade ago, having no existing mobile phone business of their own to hurt. But since then, iPhones have all been incremental innovations, albeit pretty good ones. We might still be using the iPhone 17 or whatever in 2025. But history would suggest not, and the gizmo that kills the iPhone overnight will probably come from someone that doesn't make phones at all right now.

So I'd expect that the most successful and desired campervan/leisure vehicle in a few years is most likely to be made by a company other than VW. I think someone's quite likely to come in from left field with a truly novel concept -- maybe Borris's modular camper/MPV, but more likely something that none of us can think of because, like VW, we're far too vested in the status quo and can only imagine small tweaks of that.

I've bought this vehicle to give me years of pleasure for my family and that is exactly what I will do, sod all the little quirks, I will find a way around them one way or another.

"Grumbly owners" ... "nothing but complain".

The purpose of my thread was for Members to make suggestions as to how VW could improve on the current design. Before the new T6 came out it was hoped that the roof corrosion problem would have been resolved. It wasn't. I too knew about this and other issues before I purchased both our T5 SE and T6 Beach. I, like you, am content with my current Cali, however, that shouldn't stop any discussion about how future designs could eliminate such issues. Like others, I can see ways to improve the current design and might like to see these improvements included in any future T7.

Further more, as this is purely a discussion, I also see this thread as a clean sheet of paper on which members can sketch out their own ideas for a revolutionary new T7. Should it be all electric or hybrid? What interior design features would you like to see? What issues would you like to see resolved and how? Whilst it is most unlikely that any new T7 will be anything other than a progressive evolution of the current generation, possibly with some of the existing "niggles" still included, there is no reason why we shouldn't discuss these matters. It is not grumbling or complaining. If that were true then you could also say that about many of the other very useful threads on this forum.

Finally, concerns about the rising cost of the current range are of interest to some members and whilst being a slight deviation from the theme of this thread, they are none the less, worth discussing.

Last edited:

There are many sensible offerings on the thread and I would agree with a good few but let's be honest here, it's not going to be anything revolutionary.[/

You are missing the point. Since we don't even know whether there will be a T7 California, all this is pie in the sky. So why not let yourself go and let your imagination run riot.

Last edited:
Another point: California is just an expensive vehicle, don't oblige buyers to order only expensive options. E.g, I wanted lowered suspension, which is available on Caravelle but not on California, as they want to sell Dynamic Suspension. At the end I didn't order any of them.

ridiculous
Like others on this forum, I too have a 2016 150ps manual Beach. It's a great vehicle but it isn't perfect. Why not give us your views on the improvements that you would like to see? E.g Have you ever tried to swivel the drivers seat whilst parked on a slope?
You may find some of the suggestions or comments being made, "a load of rubbish" or "ridiculous" but how about some ideas or constructive criticism instead?

This thread is only intended to be a light hearted discussion and it's not as if any of this will make one jot of difference to any future VW design program.

Struggling to think of much that needs to really improve....but as a wish list...

1) Swivel seats that you don't need to open the door /release handbrake to rotate. Possibly push button electric turn available as an optional extra.
2) Smart phone integration for heater control / interior lights / fridge / battery charge levels etc
3) Self levelling air suspension as an option
4) Refreshed material facings, rather than the either light/dark wood effect on cupboards

Items 1 to 3 have their equivalents in the car market already (auto fold rear seats for example), so don't think any of the above are unrealistic. Keeping things as options allows people to pick and choose to suit their own budget.

LWB version, keep the rising roof the same, just insert an additional cupboard to take up the extra length down the kitchen side.

Option for a hi-top rather than pop top, has massive downsides but would give more storage as bedding could be left up top, more insulation for winter camping and no worries about corrosion

LWB version, keep the rising roof the same, just insert an additional cupboard to take up the extra length down the kitchen side.

Option for a hi-top rather than pop top, has massive downsides but would give more storage as bedding could be left up top, more insulation for winter camping and no worries about corrosion

Those options would be attractive for me, but only if I want for both of them, ie LWB and hi-top, plus water heater, WC and shower, to create a completely self-sufficient, all-seasons van.

Why? Well because on its own, sticking to the 'traditional' Cali layout, LWB doesn't seem to me to give much extra functionality - simply about 13 inches more floor space or rear luggage space. Okay that could be important for a family, but not much when just two of you travelling.

But adding a hi-top to LWB then allows you to shift to a Club Joker layout and gain a loo/shower so you're no longer reliant on campsites/bog-in-bag/hedgerow. Quite important for me after a convivial winter evening in a Britstop pub. (Although I realise a non-issue for those with all-night bladders).

Has the rear overhead locker been mentioned? Certainly needs a redesign...perhaps some simple hinges and a normal catch. Not rocket science.

It could also be made to open from both sides, so you could access your stuff from the tailgate as well as the 'inside'. My old Peugeot Partner managed that trick.

Must admit.
A LWB Beach could be interesting for us.
LWB could open up the possibility of sliding doors both sides.

Back