Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What dream car would you choose on retirement (other than a Cali naturally)

Great, something else to worry about. At least I've got agreed value insurance.

f3776881377f4fbc6142166c557b658b.jpg

I need this in my life

Yes it was. And it was absolutely immaculate. Interior was stunning.
There used to be an elderly lady who lived in a south coast seaside town near us. I believe her late husband used to be someone high up in Royal Dutch Shell. Anyway she still owned his Black RHD 1950s Mercedes Benz 300sc convertible with at least two special MB options. The hood had large chrome pram irons on either side and the boot had a full set of hand tooled leather fitted luggage. What a beautiful car. Like the 220s it's build quality was the very highest. Whilst I coveted that car, I won't say that I have ever harboured any thoughts of owning one as there is no way in my wildest dreams that my pocket money would ever stretch that far.
20201220_192517.jpg
20201220_192549.jpg

There used to be an elderly lady who lived in a south coast seaside town near us. I believe her late husband used to be someone high up in Royal Dutch Shell. Anyway she still owned his Black RHD 1950s Mercedes Benz 300sc convertible with at least two special MB options. The hood had large chrome pram irons on either side and the boot had a full set of hand tooled leather fitted luggage. What a beautiful car. Like the 220s it's build quality was the very highest. Whilst I coveted that car, I won't say that I have ever harboured any thoughts of owning one as there is no way in my wildest dreams that my pocket money would ever stretch that far.
View attachment 70902
View attachment 70903

The wrap-around walnut(?)dash has to be seen in the flesh to really get a feel for the craftsmanship of this vehicle.

f3776881377f4fbc6142166c557b658b.jpg

I need this in my life
That’s an old Cape Town reg plate before they changed to WP. Our family 1973 230 died in the late 80s while I was driving up the Houwhoek pass having done 275’000 km. Not bad for a petrol engine.

As I advance in years and near the time when I can retire I like to think about the car I would treat myself to when I do take my pension.

At the moment the Cali is my everyday and only vehicle. So I would like something for fun. I would still keep the Cali.

Given that I share the same good taste in recreational vehicles ie a Cali I thought it interesting to see what fellow petrol head forum members would choose and why?

My top 3
V8 f type convertible pre face lift
911 992 carrera s convertible
Morgan plus six or four

At the moment- having done a factory tour and various test drive days I confess I’m leaning towards one of the new Morgan’s- why because they are so involving and essentially basic to drive (but oh the f type what looks).

What retirement car “”treat”” would you choose for let’s say under 100k and why?

Colour me gone baby.
gto.jpg

There’s pod race tomorrow on Boonta Eve...

As I advance in years and near the time when I can retire I like to think about the car I would treat myself to when I do take my pension.

At the moment the Cali is my everyday and only vehicle. So I would like something for fun. I would still keep the Cali.

Given that I share the same good taste in recreational vehicles ie a Cali I thought it interesting to see what fellow petrol head forum members would choose and why?

My top 3
V8 f type convertible pre face lift
911 992 carrera s convertible
Morgan plus six or four

At the moment- having done a factory tour and various test drive days I confess I’m leaning towards one of the new Morgan’s- why because they are so involving and essentially basic to drive (but oh the f type what looks).

What retirement car “”treat”” would you choose for let’s say under 100k and why?
Mine would be a Citroen XM with its odd wedge shape and floating comfort ride ,the hissing sounds from that suspension which was semi auto reacting to the speed and roads it just needed modern build quality ,it even had a key pad to put in a code to start it per dates Ghoststwatch by years.

Mine would be a Citroen XM with its odd wedge shape and floating comfort ride ,the hissing sounds from that suspension which was semi auto reacting to the speed and roads it just needed modern build quality ,it even had a key pad to put in a code to start it per dates Ghoststwatch by years.
That's an 'unusual' choice but am liking your style. More conventionally perhaps I've always been intrigued by the possibilities of a DS Safari.

Replace letters ‘XM’ with ‘DS’...(the old version)

That's an 'unusual' choice but am liking your style. More conventionally perhaps I've always been intrigued by the possibilities of a DS Safari.
I would have liked to try the model fitted with an Maserati engine but never seen one yet.

I would have liked to try the model fitted with an Maserati engine but never seen one yet.
Apparently, the original 1950s DS design was to have featured a brand new flat six water cooled boxer engine but they ran out of Francs. Instead, this then space age design had the engines from the previous prewar traction avant series. Just imagine if..........

I can remember those things wafting past my parents Morris Minor Traveller whilst on continental holidays in the 50s and 60s. Compared to anything else around on the roads then they seemed like they were from another civilisation.

At one stage in the early seventies, my brother in law who lives just outside Paris had a rare brand new DS 21 seven seater Safari. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few months before being written off whilst parked outside an ice rink in Berlin. I remember being astounded by the ride quality in that car. It was second to none. Not only did it float along like a cloud but it had the thickest spongiest carpets I have ever experienced in a car. However, I remember thinking that the engine noise rather let the whole thing down. It seemed to me to be rather agricultural even for those times.

One of the DS party tricks is that they can apparenty be driven on only three wheels!

Note the panel gaps. Every DS I have ever seen are the same.

Last edited:
Apparently, the original 1950s DS design was to have featured a brand new flat six water cooled boxer engine but they ran out of Francs. Instead, this then space age design had the engines from the previous prewar traction avant series. Just imagine if..........

I can remember those things wafting past my parents Morris Minor Traveller whilst on continental holidays in the 50s and 60s. Compared to anything else around on the roads then they seemed like they were from another civilisation.

At one stage in the early seventies, my brother in law who lives just outside Paris had a rare brand new DS 21 seven seater Safari. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few months before being written off whilst parked outside an ice rink in Berlin. I remember being astounded by the ride quality in that car. It was second to none. Not only did it float along like a cloud but it had the thickest spongiest carpets I have ever experienced in a car. However, I remember thinking that the engine noise rather let the whole thing down. It seemed to me to be rather agricultural even for those times.

One of the DS party tricks is that they can apparenty be driven on only three wheels!

I did not have the gutts to try this on the xm but you could put in service position and it would lift the car very high just like the DS and another position just to lift it over high obstacles this would lock the suspension with no movement ,hours of fun?

I did not have the gutts to try this on the xm but you could put in service position and it would lift the car very high just like the DS and another position just to lift it over high obstacles this would lock the suspension with no movement ,hours of fun?
Back in the late seventies a local garage had a beautiful black and grey DS 23 Pallas for sale. I was totally smitten. Fortunately, two things prevented me from buying it:

1. It's reputation for being a complex and expensive car to maintain put me off and
2. I couldn't afford it.

I say fortunately because several weeks later whilst at work, I found myself standing at the side of a road extinguishing what was left of said vehicle after it had suffered a severe fuel leak.

I too have always had a fascination with the Safari. If they weren’t so old I would have been tempted to get one for my mountain adventures. But since they are, my focus turned to vans and the Cali, and the rest is history.

Back