Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What dream car would you choose on retirement (other than a Cali naturally)

Would very much love to saunter around in an 911 Targa 4S.

Always been a fan. #oneday

The 205 Gti..esp in 1.9 form was my childhood lust after machine. Either in white or black but also in one of latter newer electric blue colours too.

Also gotta mention the very new Yaris GR. How much fun does that look?

Mmmm 205 gti 1.9 turbo technics with a dimma kit...want I wanted when I was 20.
Original Concours 205 1.9 gti are now fetching big money.

At least 8 years away for me but right now I'd be going for a GR Yaris. Looks like as much fun as you can have for a reasonable amount of cash. I love the idea of something classic but living in The Lakes where most of our A-roads are like most B-roads and all the others are even worse it's just not practical. It needs to be something you aren't afraid of using.
I drove one of these a few weeks ago,very impressed.

I had an 18 month old silver 1.6 205 GTi at 19. Kept it until just before the boy racer insurance price hikes would have made it impossible to insure.

Most of those would be a tad too small for my frame so I would have to go with a FFRR Supercharged. I would prefer an SVR but I need a bit more boot space for the dogs.

I had an 18 month old silver 1.6 205 GTi at 19. Kept it until just before the boy racer insurance price hikes would have made it impossible to insure.
At 21, I had a Clio 1.8 16v, my 18 yr old girlfriend had a 1.6 205 GTi and her mum had a 1.9 205 GTi, we could choose which one to take... god I should of married her!

Had a poster on my wall of a 205 GTi with Dimma body kit. Yikes that takes me back a long way!

Yeah, theyre going for handsome money these days. A true classic!

I a had new Civic Type-R in my early 20s and the Cali I bought early this year was supposed to be a shiny new M3 - my other dream car and theres still that itch to scratch but the Cali is a very different but very much worthy alternative!

Best ever car was a 205 GTi 1.9. Very nice, you might say, but the icing on the cake was that it was a company car. Free petrol, and thrashed it without worrying about any consequences (apart from one speeding ticket). It got stolen when I was living in Oxford. I didn't really care - someone else sorted it out for me. Those were the days.

Best ever car was a 205 GTi 1.9. Very nice, you might say, but the icing on the cake was that it was a company car. Free petrol, and thrashed it without worrying about any consequences (apart from one speeding ticket). It got stolen when I was living in Oxford. I didn't really care - someone else sorted it out for me. Those were the days.
Company car!

'Our' 1.9 was Mrs VD's company car. Mine was a dogshit-beige Vauxhall Carlton. You can well imagine which one of those two got the most mileage put on it.

Fond memories of the company car scheme.....my best car was a Alfa Romeo 155 V6 in Red....every warning light was on display and the paint peeled as soon a bird pooped on it....but what a drive.

My current retirement garage is an RD350LC, Alfa spider boat tail (in heavy restoration as we speak), Boxster S, mk1 mini cooper rep. Plus the humdrum Audi A3, wifes Yeti and the Cali.
Ive been through Ferraris and many 911,s and the best car I actually sold when I retired and should have kept is the 981 spyder.
Today if it was one car and a cali I would buy the 718 BGTS re earlier post no question, just wish I could settle for a cali plus 718 :-

Now gone
IMG_0400.JPG

After figuring Im past it on a 1290 KTM and R9T I got this
IMG_4321.JPG

Im aspiring to my Alfa looking like this.

1967 Duetto -- October 2018.jpg

My current retirement garage is an Alfa spider boat tail

View attachment 69556

That fits exactly with my idea of what a retirement car should be:
1. Enough performance to be interesting without being a licence looser.
2. I could drive to the South of France with reasonable confidence it would get there
3. A car that people smile at rather than make rude gestures
4. Easy enough to tinker with
5. No fear of unexpected six figure bills.
6. Something that is a pleasure just to own without even driving it.
7. Just looking at it makes me think of summer at the seaside.

Ive gone for a recent Morgan Plus 4 for the those reasons - I did consider an Alfa or a TR6 but done have time to do a restoration & don't want to be buying someone else's bodged job.

My current retirement garage is an RD350LC, Alfa spider boat tail (in heavy restoration as we speak), Boxster S, mk1 mini cooper rep. Plus the humdrum Audi A3, wifes Yeti and the Cali.
Ive been through Ferraris and many 911,s and the best car I actually sold when I retired and should have kept is the 981 spyder.
Today if it was one car and a cali I would buy the 718 BGTS re earlier post no question, just wish I could settle for a cali plus 718 :-

Now gone
View attachment 69557

After figuring Im past it on a 1290 KTM and R9T I got this
View attachment 69555

Im aspiring to my Alfa looking like this.

View attachment 69556
Like the Alfa. I had an Alfasud but that, sadly, disintegrated!

Back