Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What dream car would you choose on retirement (other than a Cali naturally)

Violent! shame there's a £100k limit on this thread, or I'd have gone for a Carrera GT with a similarly intoxicating voice...

Ah-ha! I didn’t trawl through the first pages and missed the £100k ceiling - and went only from the post title!

Can one really buy a ’Dream’ car for £100K nowadays...

Violent! shame there's a £100k limit on this thread, or I'd have gone for a Carrera GT with a similarly intoxicating voice...
That’s why I parted company with my last 6pot NA Porsche. Every time I drove it I thought “right, no Sport + mode today, nice and easy.”Ten minutes later I’m bouncing off the rev limiter because it sounded soooooo good

Ah-ha! I didn’t trawl through the first pages and missed the £100k ceiling - and went only from the post title!

Can one really buy a ’Dream’ car for £100K nowadays...

Definitely...
I would have a Porsche 718 Spyder with a couple of upgrades.

The Yaris is getting a lot of attention at the minute. I even considered ordering one and then my sensible head took over.
For the same money, you could jump into a used Alpine. So it’s very tempting. But for the sake of a peaceful marriage, will stick with my almost 10 year old ultra reliable, cheap, proper mechanical and naturally aspirated 987.2s.

Btw, can’t believe how many 205Gti fan boys are here. My teenage crush that never happened. I had one 205GT followed by two 309Gti’s.
My favourite being the Gunmetal Grey. Such a great car and you never saw two of them at the same time...

My overwhelming memory of the 205gti was that our company car scheme ( a fleet of about 5000 cars) relaxed slightly in about 1985.

Standard choice up till then was either 1.6 vauxhall cavalier( special low spec fleet model with keep fit windows & no aircon) or1.6 sierra L

Suddenly we were allowed as an alternative a 205gti or an XR2 this option lasted for about a month, which was how long it took for the first transporter load of each to be written off or stolen. Still mine was excellent for the 3 weeks it lasted .

My overwhelming memory of the 205gti was that our company car scheme ( a fleet of about 5000 cars) relaxed slightly in about 1985.

Standard choice up till then was either 1.6 vauxhall cavalier( special low spec fleet model with keep fit windows & no aircon) or1.6 sierra L

Suddenly we were allowed as an alternative a 205gti or an XR2 this option lasted for about a month, which was how long it took for the first transporter load of each to be written off or stolen. Still mine was excellent for the 3 weeks it lasted .

Tough choice 205GTi or XR2, both good

Crashed or stolen. Joy riders loved them, fetching decent money again.

My dream retirement car was always a BMW Z8 but these have now broken the £100k limit.
I ended up with a car that I never ever ever thought about owning but a 30min test drive from a little garage in Cornwall and I couldn't help myself...
Totally impractical of course but the most driving fun you will ever have - bar none.

The M3W....... at least I have the Cali now to tow it when it breaks down.... and it does:)IMG_4021.jpg

Never been
My dream retirement car was always a BMW Z8 but these have now broken the £100k limit.
I ended up with a car that I never ever ever thought about owning but a 30min test drive from a little garage in Cornwall and I couldn't help myself...
Totally impractical of course but the most driving fun you will ever have - bar none.

The M3W....... at least I have the Cali now to tow it when it breaks down.... and it does:)View attachment 69899

Never been lucky enough to have a go in one myself but I bet they are epic fun, and the DNA of a true British motoring legend. You win the prize for the most original contribution to this thread so far.

The M3W....... at least I have the Cali now to tow it when it breaks down.... and it does:)View attachment 69899
Are you on talkmorgan? Im sure thats the best colour for a morgan, I might be a bit biased though.IMG_1388.jpg

Oh yes, now we are talking!!!
I also looked at one of those and have been severely tempted. I agree that they are so much fun even though I have never actually driven one. I did read recently that Morgan are to stop making them because of engine supply issues. I think S and S aren't making the V twin any more or something like that. I expect Morgan are looking at other suppliers though, if there are any. They are all the fun of the original Morgan three wheelers but with a lot less hassle or hot oil in your face. Modern VED is a bit of a bummer though.

Both my late father and I used to have three wheeler morgans. His was a 1932 J.A.P engined Aero super sports beatle back. It never let us down meaning it could always be relied upon to break down on every outing. On one occasion I drove that car on the remaining section of usable banked circuit at Brooklands. A very evocative and bouncy experience!

My Morgan started out as a basket case and I build it up over a number of years. It was basically an original 1927 chassis, rear bevel box (two speed gear box) and wheels with the rest made up of new repro parts and autojumble bits and bobs. Even the engine was a brand new J.A.P replica made to the then current racing spec. Finding an old period engine wasn't possible. If they aren't bolted to the front of cars they are either totally knackered or have been blown up. It would have gone like stink if I hadn't sold it to finance a more original project. It had no history to speak of and to me that is the most important thing about any old car. Just as well I sold it as the front brakes were tiny drums and the rear was a contracting band brake which in the wet would have been totally useless. Still I had fun fettling it and taking it to steam fairs etc as an exhibit.
20201115_133322.jpg
A big thing in favour of buying a new morgan threewheeler is it can be squeezed into a tight triangular garage space.

Good luck with your car. It looks fabulous.

Last edited:
A big thing in favour of buying a new morgan threewheeler is it can be squeezed into a tight garage space.

The three wheeler is actually wider than my plus 4 and only 2ft shorter so doesn't save as much space as you might think.

I would love a 3 wheeler but I think it might be pushing my luck a bit with the Mrs just a step too far. Purchase of one with 4 wheels cost me a month in Spain. 3 wheels & it would be demands for the Caribbean.

Last edited:
The three wheeler is actually wider than my plus 4 and only 2ft shorter so doesn't save as much space as you might think.

I would love a 3 wheeler but I think it might be pushing my luck a bit with the Mrs just a step too far. Purchase of one with 4 wheels cost me a month in Spain. 3 wheels & it would be demands for the Caribbean.
Oh so you've measured it up have you. :thumb It sounds like you may be going on your hols soon.

Definitely...
I would have a Porsche 718 Spyder with a couple of upgrades.

The Yaris is getting a lot of attention at the minute. I even considered ordering one and then my sensible head took over.
For the same money, you could jump into a used Alpine. So it’s very tempting. But for the sake of a peaceful marriage, will stick with my almost 10 year old ultra reliable, cheap, proper mechanical and naturally aspirated 987.2s.

Btw, can’t believe how many 205Gti fan boys are here. My teenage crush that never happened. I had one 205GT followed by two 309Gti’s.
My favourite being the Gunmetal Grey. Such a great car and you never saw two of them at the same time...
718???????????? That’s the 4pot turbo Subaru engine right????

......or does the Spyder run the GT4 engine?

Oh so you've measured it up have you. :thumb It sounds like you may be going on your hols soon.
@Borris Thanks.. Wow I admire the work you put into yours, it looks great.
@andyinluton .. It is wider than you think you're right but luckily because it is triangle shaped I can get my motorbike (a midlife crisis buy) in the same garage with the M3W (just). The M3W cost me a new kitchen!! Well at least I can wash off the Swarfega in the sink (when she's not looking of course);)

Nice colour - why the Panemera and not the 911-just out of interest?
Taycan not Panamera. It’s all electric. I have ordered it on a business lease which is really good on electric cars for the next 3 years as benefit in kind tax is 0 this year and only going up to 2%. I suspect after 3 years they will hike it up. My previous was a Tesla Model S. The Porsche isn’t quite in the same league, but still a really great car and a lot cheaper.

Taycan not Panamera. It’s all electric. I have ordered it on a business lease which is really good on electric cars for the next 3 years as benefit in kind tax is 0 this year and only going up to 2%. I suspect after 3 years they will hike it up. My previous was a Tesla Model S. The Porsche isn’t quite in the same league, but still a really great car and a lot cheaper.
They both sound fun. Is it the “Turbo” branded one? There’s not much between them.

They both sound fun. Is it the “Turbo” branded one? There’s not much between them.
Sorry, this may have been covered before but how can an electric car be described as a Turbo? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Back