Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What dream car would you choose on retirement (other than a Cali naturally)

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've been retired for too many years, so I probably can't contribute about what my ideal car will be! But one 'retirement' car isn't enough! I'm with Borris and look at the older classics for that additional joy. My Porsche Macan Turbo had to go to fund the Cali! Mind you I still have the 1997 Porsche 993, a couple of Lagondas and a Bristol. So, I guess I shouldn't complain!! :oops:;)
More on the Lagondas and the Bristols please. And pics.

westfalia

westfalia

Top Poster
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I like Bristol cars i like Bristols and i like Bristol.

C

cowboyengineer

Vehicle
Looking to buy
By the time I come to retire I probably won’t be allowed to drive my dream cars. They will probably all be common electric chassis with a different body on top.
So I’m making up for it now. My current garage
The Yaris GR I collect in 2 weeks
Then a 718 Spyder which is pretty much all the car you need
The Land Rover defender is my daily/work car
The mustang is a project car D64285C9-2871-475C-8FE9-E5782FB07EFF.jpeg7C95DA8C-9BF9-4023-AC6F-741D366F71BB.jpeg120F69E6-EBEC-4146-98F4-6868BF674249.jpeg315A0488-2CC1-4E2F-908D-66F7B8B9256A.jpeg

Then I’m just finalising my spec for the Cali and will order this month, then whilst we are talking about dream cars, I have the purple one on order to come for my birthday next year. E2F7397A-6355-4DDE-AE40-119CA8773272.jpeg
F09BE6B0-E20D-489F-89B4-765BEA37C038.jpeg

then I have a landcruiser 80 series and patriot camper x1 gt for a couple of overland trips I’m planning.
DFCA7BAF-3A0D-4793-8243-DAD914783B74.jpeg

Skooty Alan

Skooty Alan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
More on the Lagondas and the Bristols please. And pics.
My first Lagonda was a 1934 Rapier, an Abbot Tourer which my son and I used to rally. This is a picture of a very wet car on Arran a couple of years agoView attachment 69722

IMG_1270.jpeg

The Bristol is a 1955 Bristol 404. It is a beautiful piece of engineering and art!
IMG_0668.jpeg.

But the real star is Bruce, a 1936 Lagonda LG45 Drop Head Coupe I reimported from Australia over 10 years ago.DSC_0054.jpegMonk Fryston  Hall 15 May 10.jpeg

Oops! I nearly forgot Tippy our 1930 Austin 7 Tourer - and some wizened old chap beside her!IMG_0070.jpeg

Well, I may as well put up the photo of the 993 too, I guess!!DSC_0053.jpeg

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
A WW2 Jeep would be fun.
Picnic near Caretan with friends who have them. D-Day 75th celebrations in Normandy 2019.

C6827685-7A30-470D-8858-DBF8F95C7C0C.jpeg

Or an Aston Martin Le Mans Project car. My cousin is selling it after many years of competing if anybody has deep pockets. :) 9A25141B-1F2B-4B39-97B7-31B5344F8E10.jpeg

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My first Lagonda was a 1934 Rapier, an Abbot Tourer which my son and I used to rally. This is a picture of a very wet car on Arran a couple of years agoView attachment 69722

View attachment 69723

The Bristol is a 1955 Bristol 404. It is a beautiful piece of engineering and art!
View attachment 69724.

But the real star is Bruce, a 1936 Lagonda LG45 Drop Head Coupe I reimported from Australia over 10 years ago.View attachment 69725View attachment 69726

Oops! I nearly forgot Tippy our 1930 Austin 7 Tourer - and some wizened old chap beside her!View attachment 69727

Well, I may as well put up the photo of the 993 too, I guess!!View attachment 69728
Very nice indeed. What a wonderful well stocked stable!

I borrowed a good friend's Lagonda some years ago to do a mutual friend's wedding. I believe that was an LG45 as well. If memory serves me, they sport a delicious low revving 4.5 litre Meadows six cylinder with triple SUs and twin plugs? Am I correct or am I getting confused?

Lovely :thumb

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Fan-bloody-tastic. I have a 1936 Riley Lynx* which also has a twin cam (and also a pre-selector gb like the Lagonda Rapier). Amazing what those engineers could squeeze out of those smallish engines back in the 1930s. Do you plan to rally it again - when things get re-started properly?

The LG45 and the Bristol are also gorgeous.

* My Lynx:
1606042512760.png

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Fan-bloody-tastic. I have a 1936 Riley Lynx* which also has a twin cam (and also a pre-selector gb like the Lagonda Rapier). Amazing what those engineers could squeeze out of those smallish engines back in the 1930s. Do you plan to rally it again - when things get re-started properly?

* My Lynx:
View attachment 69739
Lagondas, a Bristol and now a Riley Lynx! Best Sunday breakfast time I've had in ages. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. The only trouble is it makes me think I should ring the changes with my lovely motors.

"Toad sat straight down in the middle of the dusty road, his legs stretched out before him, and stared fixedly in the direction of the disappearing motor-car. He breathed short, his face wore a placid satisfied expression, and at intervals he faintly murmured 'Poop-poop!'"

What a lovely Riley and looking totally correct shod in those wonderful Blockleys.

Skooty Alan

Skooty Alan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Very nice indeed. What a wonderful well stocked stable!

I borrowed a good friend's Lagonda some years ago to do a mutual friend's wedding. I believe that was an LG45 as well. If memory serves me, they sport a delicious low revving 4.5 litre Meadows six cylinder with triple SUs and twin plugs? Am I correct or am I getting confused?

Lovely :thumb
You are absolutely correct. Twin Vertex magnetos drive a bank of plugs each. one of the big benefits of the LG45 is that it has the G10 gearbox - which has synchromesh!! Its like driving an automatic - you put it in top gear and it goes anywhere - I exaggerate! In the 1930s the factory did have problems getting people to use 1st gear, lots of people used to start in 2nd.

Skooty Alan

Skooty Alan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion

* My Lynx:
View attachment 69739
My rally days in the Rapier are over. :( My navigator (son) got married and that was that! Selfish kids!! Sue, my wife did navigate for me on a rally in Iceland. She did very well for a first time. Unfortunately the terrain shook the car to bits. I felt pretty guilty about shaking her to bits (the car, not Sue) and it cost an enormous amount of time and money to get the car back together again. So, I retired. UK endurance rallies aren't as destructive and they are great fun.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
A WW2 Jeep would be fun.
Picnic near Caretan with friends who have them. D-Day 75th celebrations in Normandy 2019.

View attachment 69734

Or an Aston Martin Le Mans Project car. My cousin is selling it after many years of competing if anybody has deep pockets. :) View attachment 69735
My neighbour owns and races a DBR1. Might blow this particular budget by a few quid!

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
My neighbour owns and races a DBR1. Might blow this particular budget by a few quid!
Very nice.
Bet he knows my cousin, who’s been racing Astons (and others) for many many years.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
You are absolutely correct. Twin Vertex magnetos drive a bank of plugs each. one of the big benefits of the LG45 is that it has the G10 gearbox - which has synchromesh!! Its like driving an automatic - you put it in top gear and it goes anywhere - I exaggerate! In the 1930s the factory did have problems getting people to use 1st gear, lots of people used to start in 2nd.
Fantastic. Bruce is a real credit to you as are your other cars. Are those Lucas P100s he is wearing? Who did the bodywork, Tickford? The two main things I remember about driving that LG45 was the view down the long bonnet and the wonderful tick over it had. :thumb

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
On Aston Hill near Wendover today, we saw 10 or 12 McLarens coming the other way. Owners Club outing? They looked awesome.

BTW, Aston Hill is where David Brown tested his cars all those years ago. Small memorial near the top on the left (by the car park).

Skooty Alan

Skooty Alan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Fantastic. Bruce is a real credit to you as are your other cars. Are those Lucas P100s he is wearing? Who did the bodywork, Tickford? The two main things I remember about driving that LG45 was the view down the long bonnet and the wonderful tick over it had. :thumb
Yes, they are Lucas P100s. The bodywork was done by Lagonda themselves. The design was by Frank Feeney later of Aston Martin fame. He was 21 when he designed the LG45. The whole balance of the car screams luxury - in 1936 it cost over £1200.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yes, they are Lucas P100s. The bodywork was done by Lagonda themselves. The design was by Frank Feeney later of Aston Martin fame. He was 21 when he designed the LG45. The whole balance of the car screams luxury - in 1936 it cost over £1200.
Very hansom indeed and the colour really suits it.

VW California Club