Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What dream car would you choose on retirement (other than a Cali naturally)

Never understood the DS thing, they don’t do it for me.

I’m test driving Plus six and plus four Morgan’s next week - Morgan keep emailing me it’s like I’m being tested.

I have to keep telling myself wait until you can afford on lol.

Is there still a long waiting list for a new Morgan from the factory?

Is there still a long waiting list for a new Morgan from the factory?
They want to get it down to around 6 months or so ideally - I’m at dealers next weekend and I’ll check :thumb

They want to get it down to around 6 months or so ideally - I’m at dealers next weekend and I’ll check :thumb
In the past l remember it being 2 years plus.

You mentioning Downton reminds me of the Stewart & Arden Mini Sprint

I’m test driving Plus six and plus four Morgan’s next week - Morgan keep emailing me it’s like I’m being tested.

I have to keep telling myself wait until you can afford on lol.
Try asking for a discount, that stops them ever contacting you again.

Their price list makes Calis. Look cheap.

I never owned a 'proper' Mini (not counting a BMW-Mini JCW more recently), although had one as my personal transport for a few months in the early 80s and adored it. My fantasy 17-car garage definitely has a cherished corner set aside for a cheeky Mk. 1 Cooper S.

Not really a dream car, I had 8 Classics at one time but slowly let them go as we moved to larger houses with smaller garages but I did keep one as it makes me smile every time I drive it.

I always come back to at least one person taking photographs when it's in a carpark. I used to tell people I got it out of the Triumph factory at Coventry and was believed to have been built as an exercise for some apprentices but now I tell the truth and confess it was built as a bet 30 or so years ago.

It's by no means concourse but I can park without worry and Marmite as we call it will stay with me forever.
26827_101094819926713_7239077_n.jpg20210424_124900.jpg

Today in my humble Car Park:

IMG-4801.jpg

Is it the Big Exodus?? Is Boris checking your company service cars these days? Anyway, all these new Limbo sticks make that me and my Cali feel no longer welcome...
;-)

You mentioning Downton reminds me of the Stewart & Arden Mini Sprint
As in the Arden 8 port head? Very nearly went with the 8 port when I built my Mini. Quite tricky to get set up correctly on twin 40’s as opposed to throttle bodies.
There is a magnificent clip on YouTube of an 8 port on Amals, camera looking right down the throat of the carbs.

Today in my humble Car Park:

View attachment 80774

Is it the Big Exodus?? Is Boris checking your company service cars these days? Anyway, all these new Limbo sticks make that me and my Cali feel no longer welcome...
;-)
what is the purpose of the limbo sticks?

Simply lovely

I've been retired for fifteen years and have too many cars as it is. I don't really hanker after anything on the market today. On a practical front Mrs B's 2014 Skoda Superb estate and our current 2019 Cali Beach represent my ideal modern cars. The Beach provides that something extra that no other vehicle could so much so that we would hate to be without it. Both are versatile, both are comfortable and both will do the national speed limit with ease.

I once had a yearning for a new Morgan but that for me was more about buying into British hand built craftmanship. It would only ever have sat in the garage only coming out on dry days and since fast driving doesn't really interest me that much, what would have been the point? Besides Mrs B vetoed it after a test drive. She said "she didn't like the feeling of skidding along the road on her bum".

No, the only thing that gets me fired up these days are cars from a bygone era. I already have three of those so the last thing I need is another one.

In my case most old car acquisitions have been made following a brief introduction and the right circumstances prevailing at that time, meaning I hadn't been looking to purchase that particular type of vehicle before finding that example. However, if I was going to choose a particular car to buy now, it would probably be a vintage 20 hp Rolls Royce. These cars are so well engineered and every one built originally had bespoke bodywork made by the original owners chosen coach builder. IMO most of these coach built designs are/were butt ugly but occasionally you'll see one that is utter perfection. These vehicles are not powerful or fast but the way that a good example drives is like nothing else I've ever driven. They are so smooth and quiet with a character all of their own. Retard the ignition and back off the hand throttle when standing idling and you can barely hear the engine. There's just a faint whisper. They also have that wonderful smell of hot engine oil that comes up through the floor boards. Driving one well is an art but the feeling it gives you is second to none.
I've owned two to date, the second only briefly due to problems the dealer was unwilling to resolve. I owned this one for twelve years and now wish I hadn't sold it:
View attachment 69479
Here it is, a 1928 Rolls Royce 20hp Windovers Landaulette leaving Canterbury Cathedral, after I'd taken this young couple (friends of ours) to and from their wedding. When I later examined the photos of the day, that gentleman in the red coat had managed to get himself into every one. :headbang

If I ever buy another it will be a four seat tourer or doctor's convertible coupé.
Sorry about that - I was waiting to liberate the hub caps. Sadly I only ended up with three, because some posh bloke kept taking pictures of me...

Back