Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Fitted some second skin seat covers. Took a while but they fit snug and should do their job.

Drove to Aldwickbury Park Golf Course to play badly :)

BUT en-route I picked up a bolt in my nearside rear tyre! So a question for those with experience. The tyre repair shop to my surprise didn’t even need to remove the wheel/tyre. Just jacked it up and removed the offending bolt and then pushed in a braided plug. I asked the guy if there are now any limitations with the tyre i.e. speed and he said no. Can I rely on that? Anybody with similar experience?

4981A412-86E1-4D72-8BC1-C5F701754085.jpeg

49CEB3FE-9AEC-4D9B-8DBB-2493735B8BBB.jpeg

E2C666BA-46CC-4E16-86F4-057D0AA76632.jpeg

Last edited:
In the centre of the tread like that it should be fine as long as the tyre wasn’t driven on whilst flat.

Ive never had to use one whilst out and about but do carry a repair kit with the plugs just in case.

Can I rely on that? Anybody with similar experience?
Yes, 8,000 miles on a rat tail - similar to where you have the puncture on the Cali. 7,000 miles on a motorcycle rear tyre again, with a rat tail. No issues.

Edit: on the motorcycle tyre, did about 80 miles with the screw in ... as we were on fairly busy but slow B-roads and were reaching our destination towards the end of the day ... and could not be bothered to stop, and the air leak was very very slow.

In the centre of the tread like that it should be fine as long as the tyre wasn’t driven on whilst flat.

Ive never had to use one whilst out and about but do carry a repair kit with the plugs just in case.
Which kit did you buy Andy @andyinluton . I agree it’s probably worth carrying one.

Which kit did you buy Andy @andyinluton . I agree it’s probably worth carrying one.
I carry one of these.

I carry one of these.
Thanks @Alied . That looks very different than other kits on the web (and more expensive). Have you used it yet? I assume that the brass pointed end remains inside the tyre?

Thanks @Alied . That looks very different than other kits on the web (and more expensive). Have you used it yet? I assume that the brass pointed end remains inside the tyre?
No I haven’t used it yet. I did watch quite a few videos on YouTube before I purchased it. The advantage over other similar products is that you don’t have to ream the tyre thus making the hole bigger before inserting the plug. Yes the brass tip stays inside the tyre and if it does dislodge with brass being a soft alloy in theory it shouldn’t damage your rim. Cheaper Dynaplugs are available but I went with this one as it has a large surface area so it should be easier to push the plug in to the tyre.

Collected four pullets and 100 Kg of feed, and, if you look closely, you will see that lunch was laid on the way home, yum!

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

We now have a racially diverse flock: 2 x Mendlesham Ranger (brown); 2 x Mendlesham Amber (white); 2 x Mendlesham Blue (grey); 2 x Fenning Black (black).

Drove to Aldwickbury Park Golf Course to play badly :)

BUT en-route I picked up a bolt in my nearside rear tyre! So a question for those with experience. The tyre repair shop to my surprise didn’t even need to remove the wheel/tyre. Just jacked it up and removed the offending bolt and then pushed in a braided plug. I asked the guy if there are now any limitations with the tyre i.e. speed and he said no. Can I rely on that? Anybody with similar experience?

View attachment 85570

View attachment 85571

View attachment 85583
We had a similar tyre penetration.
A VW dealer in Poole said we needed a new tyre, but were unable to get hold of one to match. So when we returned home, took it into the local tyre fitter, they said it was perfectly ok to plug as it was in the centre of the tread. It cause no problem afterwards.
Your's looks like it may be a little bit different, as there appears to be a cut adjacent to where the bolt has penetrated, but if it is only in the surface of the rubber, can't see it being a problem.

We had a similar tyre penetration.
A VW dealer in Poole said we needed a new tyre, but were unable to get hold of one to match. So when we returned home, took it into the local tyre fitter, they said it was perfectly ok to plug as it was in the centre of the tread. It cause no problem afterwards.
Your's looks like it may be a little bit different, as there appears to be a cut adjacent to where the bolt has penetrated, but if it is only in the surface of the rubber, can't see it being a problem.
Thanks @SusiBus
Having had a chat with them, I’ve booked it into a local tyre centre tomorrow morning. They are taking the tyre off to have a proper look and if possible will apply an internal patch which is an approved fix. If not it’s a new tyre. I just need to be sure it’s as safe as possible before any long motorway journeys. Wouldn’t feel happy doing 70 with a plug.

Thanks @SusiBus
Having had a chat with them, I’ve booked it into a local tyre centre tomorrow morning. They are taking the tyre off to have a proper look and if possible will apply an internal patch which is an approved fix. If not it’s a new tyre. I just need to be sure it’s as safe as possible before any long motorway journeys. Wouldn’t feel happy doing 70 with a plug.
Thinking back, l did watch them do the repair, I think the plug had a patch attached to it, and was applied from the inside, so was like a double solution. Agree, you need to feel confident that it is a safe solution, otherwise and new tyre is the best option.

Plug is designed a temporary fix only.

Replace the tyre or get it repaired properly (patched). Once repaired the speed rating might not be maintained (see below from US site but would guess guidance is same for UK):

//

Tire Manufacturer Policies​

A few tire manufacturers allow a punctured tire to retain its speed rating when returned to service if it can successfully pass a thorough exterior / interior inspection and be repaired following the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA) specified multi-step procedure.

Several other manufacturers specify their highest speed-rated tires (originally V-, Z-, W- or Y-speed rated) can be driven no faster than the 130 mph speeds permitted of a lower H-speed rating.

However, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the severity of the damage caused by the puncture, the destructive stresses encountered if the tire was driven while underinflated/flat or the quality of the repair itself, they cannot confirm if the tire has retained its full integrity or high-speed capability. Therefore, most tire manufacturers have established policies that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire driven no faster than 85 mph.

Finally, a few tire manufacturers recommend outright tire replacement, as they will not accept repaired tires for warranty consideration or do not endorse repair of V-, Z-, W- or Y-speed rated tires.

A summary of tire manufacturer speed-rated tire repair policies for non-run-flat tires are listed below:

Tire Manufacturer's Puncture Repair Recommendations​

Manufacturer/BrandSpeed RatingMultiple Repair Locations
BFGoodrich​
Maintained3 repairs, minimum 90° apart
Bridgestone​
Voided2 repairs, must be a minimum of 16" apart
Continental*​
MaintainedRepairs cannot overlap
Cooper​
VoidedRepairs cannot overlap
Dick Cepek​
Dunlop​
Maintained**Repairs cannot overlap
1 repair, H and above
Falken​
Firestone​
Fuzion​
General*​
Goodyear​
Maintained**Repairs cannot overlap
1 repair, H and above
Hankook​
Kumho​
Voided2 repairs, minimum 180° apart
Laufenn​
Michelin​
Nexen​
Pirelli V and Above​
Repair Not Endorsed by Pirelli1 repair
H and BelowMaintained
Power King​
RIKEN​
Sumitomo​
Toyo H and Above​
Reduced to H. Voided if more than one repair.4 repairs, minimum 90° apart
Below HMaintained. Voided if more than one repair.4 repairs, minimum 90° apart
Uniroyal​
Maintained3 repairs, minimum 90° apart*
Vredestein V and Above​
Repair Not Endorsed by Vredestein2 repairs
H and Below*​
Reduce 1 speed rating per repair
Yokohama​
*Voids materials, workmanship and tread wear-out warranties.
**Only 1 repair permitted to retain H and above speed ratings.

//

Back