Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

How much cash did you save?
It won't be much more than €5, but it's just out of principle.
In Belgium, when diesel prices go up, they go up at the pump too. But when the prices go down, they only go down half the amount at the pump. It's called the cliquet-system.
I don't care about the time I lose, the miles I have to drive, and the pollution I create. They just have to charge us a decent price for the fuel. You have the real diesel price, then they charge "accijns", and then they put on the VAT.
Accijns: comes from a medieval tax "cijns". Now it's called an indirect consumer tax.
VAT (BTW = belasting op de toegevoegde waarde) value added tax = tax (percentage) added on the price.

In short, they charge us 2x on 1 article? So it's not for the money I can save, it's just out of principle.

Once they had the brilliant idea of putting bigger tax on suger beverages (cola, ...) because it's unhealthy, and they wanted us to live healthier (drinking less sugar). Suddenly they stated in the newspapers: the sugar tax didn't bring the amount of money to the Belgian state as they had figured out, because we Belgians went shopping in the Netherlands, France, Luxembourg and Germany (we are a small country with a couple of neighbour states around us). So what was the tax for in the first place? Health or money?

So, no it doesn't save me a lot of money, but I don't mind.

It won't be much more than €5, but it's just out of principle.
In Belgium, when diesel prices go up, they go up at the pump too. But when the prices go down, they only go down half the amount at the pump. It's called the cliquet-system.
I don't care about the time I lose, the miles I have to drive, and the pollution I create. They just have to charge us a decent price for the fuel. You have the real diesel price, then they charge "accijns", and then they put on the VAT.
Accijns: comes from a medieval tax "cijns". Now it's called an indirect consumer tax.
VAT (BTW = belasting op de toegevoegde waarde) value added tax = tax (percentage) added on the price.

In short, they charge us 2x on 1 article? So it's not for the money I can save, it's just out of principle.

Once they had the brilliant idea of putting bigger tax on suger beverages (cola, ...) because it's unhealthy, and they wanted us to live healthier (drinking less sugar). Suddenly they stated in the newspapers: the sugar tax didn't bring the amount of money to the Belgian state as they had figured out, because we Belgians went shopping in the Netherlands, France, Luxembourg and Germany (we are a small country with a couple of neighbour states around us). So what was the tax for in the first place? Health or money?

So, no it doesn't save me a lot of money, but I don't mind.
Sounds very familiar all that.

After another hard bump with the pushbar while on a dirt road (the Exclusive is LWB), the thing was starting to get loose and hung underneath my numberplate. So before my vehicle was claimed by the local administration as a future snowplough or road sweeper I had the thing removed yesterday.

After another hard bump with the pushbar while on a dirt road (the Exclusive is LWB), the thing was starting to get loose and hung underneath my numberplate. So before my vehicle was claimed by the local administration as a future snowplough or road sweeper I had the thing removed yesterday.
Push bars (roo bar) aren’t much good unless a big hunk of metal mounted to another big hunk of metal, can look cool though. Have similar problem at the rear the Westy tow bar makes a good skid although the trailer light socket is mashed into the bumper and had to to cut off straight VW’s stupid droopy exhaust pipes.

Used it as a workshop stand to make an adjustment to the eccentric (in the mathematical sense) bottom bracket.

ad6dfb5cf2fac99e0e4426d9873ae508.jpg

13/60 was my first car, fantastic, old Skool, enjoy
I had a 13/60, loved it. Put a 1500TC Spitfire engine in it, and as you say, interesting in the wet. Don't break mid-way through a corner if it's slippery, as I found to my cost. Also had a Spitfire Mk III and Stag, was a bit of a Triumph fan boy until the kids arrived and more sensible transport was required...

To keep this Cali related, taking my Beach in to have it's locking for the side door looked at, fails to unlock with the central locking. Taking it to VW at Cleckheaton, which I've never been to before, so fingers crossed they look after it!

I had a 13/60, loved it. Put a 1500TC Spitfire engine in it, and as you say, interesting in the wet. Don't break mid-way through a corner if it's slippery, as I found to my cost. Also had a Spitfire Mk III and Stag, was a bit of a Triumph fan boy until the kids arrived and more sensible transport was required...

To keep this Cali related, taking my Beach in to have it's locking for the side door looked at, fails to unlock with the central locking. Taking it to VW at Cleckheaton, which I've never been to before, so fingers crossed they look after it!

I need to start concentrating more when reading posts. Yours was under the one from @Amarillo
I thought you’d put a spitfire engine on a Thorn bike! That’d be some hack o_O !

Hope yourCali gets sorted okay.

I need to start concentrating more when reading posts. Yours was under the one from @Amarillo
I thought you’d put a spitfire engine on a Thorn bike! That’d be some hack o_O !

Hope yourCali gets sorted okay.
Hahahaha, that'd be fun, not. I did want to put a 1500TC autobox in the Herald, but that needed a shortened propshaft so never got around to that. I think in a Cali that may be a bit low on torque.. :D

Added Dynamic Chassis Control and the Sports Package to my order today (allowed as I haven't got a build week yet, despite ordering on 8 October).
I'm losing control of myself ordering options, feeling unusually frivolous...but when you're pushing 50 ordering your first new vehicle ever, and it's your dream vehicle you hope to keep for decades, what's a few grand?!
Tell me I'm not the only one?

Added Dynamic Chassis Control and the Sports Package to my order today (allowed as I haven't got a build week yet, despite ordering on 8 October).
I'm losing control of myself ordering options, feeling unusually frivolous...but when you're pushing 50 ordering your first new vehicle ever, and it's your dream vehicle you hope to keep for decades, what's a few grand?!
Other than Black 18" wheels what do you think you get in the sports pack for the not inconsiderable £2640. Ive not been able to glean much info about it.

I wanted the relatively cheap Style package as I thought the silver bash plates & detailing under the sills looked good on a black van but it appears I cant have that without the Driver assistance pack which I don't want.

Last edited:
Similar position to your self. First van , I’m over 50 ( by a bit) have the ability to have what I want so spent ages working out what would be of use and be desirable for me and to any potential buyer if I sold , hence 4 motion and diff lock. After a week’s trial cut out the electrical closing side door. Spoke to a few owners to see what their regrets were. Most commented specifying short of what they wanted due to cost. So if you can, go for it. My new van is now 10 sleeps away.

Similar position to your self. First van , I’m over 50 ( by a bit) have the ability to have what I want so spent ages working out what would be of use and be desirable for me and to any potential buyer if I sold , hence 4 motion and diff lock. After a week’s trial cut out the electrical closing side door. Spoke to a few owners to see what their regrets were. Most commented specifying short of what they wanted due to cost. So if you can, go for it. My new van is now 10 sleeps away.
I thought about 4WD but in the end thought the added fuel economy and cheaper insurance (and lower cost of course) of FWD tipped the balance. I'm going to cover long distances, and thought the 150 accelerated quickly enough for a van and can cruise at 90mph all day long. Hope I don't regret it when I head for the Alps in the winter.
Why did you delete the power door? Its a nice gadget but I never really saw its purpose. The standard power latching looks like a great feature though, if you're creeping out when people are sleeping. My Dads old T5 Reimo conversion needed a huge tug to slam it closed, waking the campsite in the process...

I thought about 4WD but in the end thought the added fuel economy and cheaper insurance (and lower cost of course) of FWD tipped the balance. I'm going to cover long distances, and thought the 150 accelerated quickly enough for a van and can cruise at 90mph all day long. Hope I don't regret it when I head for the Alps in the winter.
Why did you delete the power door? Its a nice gadget but I never really saw its purpose. The standard power latching looks like a great feature though, if you're creeping out when people are sleeping. My Dads old T5 Reimo conversion needed a huge tug to slam it closed, waking the campsite in the process...
The power door was deleted for 2 reasons it beeps as it operates (we do not want to disturb the people in the pitch next to us at night ) and as we have a dog ,for safety, as once pressed , the door completes the closing fully. Didn’t want to risk a squashed dog !
on our weeks trial found that the auto latching more than adequate, worked well and without slamming. Fuel economy, not high on the list. Have a slope to get int my garage and didn’t want any slipping as I place it into the garage and not into the side garage wall

Other than Black 18" wheels what do you think you get in the sports pack for the not inconsiderable £2640. Ive not been able to glean much info about it.

I wanted the relatively cheap Style package as I thought the silver bash plates & detailing under the sills looked good on a black van but it appears I cant have that without the Driver assistance pack which I don't want.
Strange how they couple packs that don't rely on each other like that.
The Sports pack is an expensive option, that I used my twisted logic to justify because I wasn't getting two-tone. I prefer the look of the perfect looking (in my opinion) black Springfield wheels. Its the only way to get Springfields from the factory now, and there's no doubt most of the expense is on those. Then it includes black bash plates front, rear and sides, that the dealer says can be seen, looks good and is an alternative to side bars. It also includes black b-pillars which is a nice touch; a darker tint on the living area windows, and tints on the rear lights, neither of which I really want, but I'm told its not very much darker internally, and might look good on an Ascot grey Cali. Hope I like it when I see it...
1606984554267.png

Be really interesting to see how it looks when it arrives; I’ve been keeping an eye out but don’t think anyone has had the option delivered yet. VW don’t give you much to go on do they? ie.privacy glass is standard, so it sounds like it many be a darker tint. Or may not be, it wouldn’t be the only pack that VW offer that has standard bits included. I’m tempted, like you I really like the wheels and will likely end up with a set; my T6 had Toluca’s which look great but after 2 yrs 2 of them were corroding on the diamond cut faces. Unacceptable. Limited choice of non diamond cut OEM 18’s, but the black springfields get my vote. I really struggle with the price of the sports pack though, given ability to sell the standard 17’s and loss of the spare wheel. Much cheaper to source elsewhere. Hopefully someone will post pics when one arrives with the option fitted.

Glazed the pop-top! It's hard to see properly in the image, but that's sort of the point. We like the extra light from the upstairs windows, but it's sometimes a bit breezy. This is a couple of pieces of 0.5 mm plastic, hinged in the middle for easy storage. Keeps out the wind but lets in the sunshine. A magnet holds it in place against the outside scissor. Total weight < 300 g.
IMG_0989.jpg

On a similar theme it would be good if someone could do a zip in clear window for the panoramic opening at the front of the roof.

Yes, my initial plan was some zip-in windows made from the same material as awning windows. However, I couldn't find any way of attaching the other half of a zip when you can't get to the end. We don't have the panoramic window at the front, but I suspect it's the same problem there.

Brought her home from SMG ! Lovely first drive on the 30 mm lowered springs. Took my favourite corner just like my TT. So very happy. Kit out day tomorrow. Now have the double sided tape to install the sink drawers. Bench seat tested several times ! Lots to read and learn. 16 weeks to get to this day. For those of you still waiting , hang on in there once you get it moving through the factory it soon pops out via your dealer.

Back