Votes: 80 26.6%
  • 37-39 MPG

Votes: 65 21.6%
  • 40-42 MPG

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 42+ MPG

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters
Hi We've just returned from a trip down to the south of France & back to East Yorkshire , certainly didn't spare the horses and mainly traveled down the back roads overall 2,492 miles averaging 38.4 mpg.Van is 2012 140 bhp now completed 12500 miles,runs like a dream.One piece of advice- don,t go into multi -storey car parks in France they don't seem to give height restrictions resulting in a scratched awning cover!!! :evil:

Who is the lone person getting 42+ MPG on the poll? Please share with us what you are doing to acheive this please? ;)

I've seen 42 on motorway trips when driving very carefully but am no where near averaging that!

What MPG? Around town? Over a month? On a long run? It's subjective. I set the DIS to 2. I fill up and reset everything over the course of the tank I am getting about 37 and a range of about 570 miles.

I am more concerned about how many miles I get from a tank.

James

Martin said:
Who is the lone person getting 42+ MPG on the poll? Please share with us what you are doing to acheive this please? ;)

I just added a 42+ vote. I normally get that on my commute to & from work, where I get 40-45 MPG depending on the day. It is about 25 miles, 95% on Motorway. I normally cruise at 60-62 MPH.

If the M25 has a crash, and I take the back roads, it is normally 30-35.

I did 750 miles around S.Wales from Brighton and back, mix of roads and over some decent hills too. Managed 35.5 avg in a 2012 180ps Cali.

My OCD is clicking in now :D

We need multiple polls showing the MPG you are getting and how you are measuring it:
- MPG Measured by on board computer over 1000+ miles
- MPG Measured by on board computer over one trip
- MPG Measured by on board computer Personal Best down hill with the roof up
- MPG Measured by filling to the brim then filling to the brim and doing the maths
- MPG Measured by keeping a log of all petrol and keeping an average over he life of the van (what sort of saddo does this - :oops: )

I will get my coat.

Tony

I selected the overall MPG from when I bought it, 25 mpg. Not good because I do 6 miles across Milton Keynes (11 roundabouts with dual carriageway between them) at varying times of day to & from work.
On a motorway run I get 37 mpg.

To get an average mpg over any distance of 42+ is going to be difficult.
I guess the folk who use their cali only for days out & holidays are going to get higher average mpg than those of us who use them as daily drives.

Andy said:
I selected the overall MPG from when I bought it, 25 mpg. Not good because I do 6 miles across Milton Keynes (11 roundabouts with dual carriageway between them) at varying times of day to & from work.
On a motorway run I get 37 mpg.

To get an average mpg over any distance of 42+ is going to be difficult.
I guess the folk who use their cali only for days out & holidays are going to get higher average mpg than those of us who use them as daily drives.

Glad it's not just me! I've been feeling very heavy footed, getting pathetic mileage compared to others. 4 miles each way to work every day through seemingly perpetual roadworks in Leicester gives 22 mpg (on a good day). A nice motorway trip of 50+ miles sees this climb to 36 mpg. Most I've seen is 38 mpg - 21,000 miles in.

Steve

No idea how anyone can get 44 mpg, best I have had is around 36/37 driving very carefully unloaded! The overall mpg has to be measured on a complete return trip, otherwise I could reset my trip at the top of snowdon and achieve a good number of miles on gravity alone [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I have noticed that removing the cycle carrier improves the mpg. Also noticed on my BMW 1 series the mpg increases by approx 5 mpg when I put the narrower winter tires on.

2009 140 Cali.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Barryjm said:
No idea how anyone can get 44 mpg, best I have had is around 36/37 driving very carefully unloaded! The overall mpg has to be measured on a complete return trip, otherwise I could reset my trip at the top of snowdon and achieve a good number of miles on gravity alone [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I have noticed that removing the cycle carrier improves the mpg. Also noticed on my BMW 1 series the mpg increases by approx 5 mpg when I put the narrower winter tires on.

2009 140 Cali.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Slip streaming a lorry?

I did see an average of 42mpg on a 250 mile trip one way that I did at 65mph due to being very heavily loaded. Motorway nearly all the way.

I think cruising speed is a big factor on the mpg due to the strong speed - wind drag relationship.

My typical average is 36-37mpg from careful town driving and 70mph on the motorways.

This is all about driving style - the incorrect use of the brake pedal is the one that uses most fuel. You watch brake lights when you are travelling behind any vehicle and the people whose brake lights flicker because there is a 1 degree bend in the road or because a leaf has fallen are the ones who have high fuel consumption. Good anticipation is what is needed. Whenever you brake, you have to regain speed and that is what uses fuel. I'm not saying don't use your brakes - just learn to use them properly.

I have three vehicles. A Prius on which I get 70mpg, a TT Quattro on which I get 60 and my Cali on which I get 40+ - all calculated over full tanks. My wife gets 55 on the Prius, 50 on the TT and so I don't let her drive the Cali :lol: And I'm not brave enough to tell her how bad her driving is :crazy

I'm not the perfect driver - but I will aim to get to the 44 achieved by someone else :mrgreen: I guess I see it that if I drive carefully it is the difference between a Tesco Value Whisky and a Dalwhinnie at the end of the day :D

Or you could put your foot down and enjoy a nice Sainsbury's finest Islay single malt, only 20 quid (ish) :D

60mpg in a TT?!!!

Some posts suggest us low mpg-ers can't drive properly - IAM, cop trained, etc, etc so well aware of how to save fuel but it very rarely happens. TBH high 20s (which we usually get) is acceptable for near 3 tonne 4WD van with the aerodynamics of a house brick.

A similar weight LR Discovery 3 (the older slower version) gets much worse mpg and is actually slower and makes the owner look a bit of a t**.

No criticism intended - but we can all choose our style of driving. I like my driving like my single malt - smooth!

And yes 60mpg in a TT and I'm not the one doing 35mph in the middle lane :lol:

David&Sue said:
No criticism intended - but we can all choose our style of driving. I like my driving like my single malt - smooth!

And yes 60mpg in a TT and I'm not the one doing 35mph in the middle lane :lol:

Is it the diesel version (which I thought were all FWD, perhaps not) TT?!

Which single malt?

I have different moods - sometimes I want a weapons grade peaty dram like a Laphroiag, other times I prefer something much more "floral" like a Highland Park or a good Speyside.

Our diesel BMW (admittedly with 300 horses) is a real struggle to get above 35mpg. I blame our very hilly terrain... :oops:

Ah yes

I take my TT in diesel which is the Quattro

I take my malt generally from Speyside but occasionally venture to the Islands and take a Jura or Laphroaig or Talisker

And the Cali is 180 4-motion

Can't really believe I admitted to driving a Prius when I have to go to work :doh

Similar taste in single malts and Cali specs then :thumb

I've just borrowed a Cali 140 manual and averaged 44mpg driving down the M5 at a steady 65mph on the cruise control. Over the week away driving on mainly 'A' roads around Cornwall and Devon we were averaging 37mpg no harsh acceleration or heavy braking. It's dead easy if you've got all the time in the world :D

We have just returned from a 2200 mile trip to Burgundy in a 180 manual 4motion Cali and Average fuel consumption during the trip was 31.6 overall.
This included a mix of roads all pretty much at the speed limit indicated ie 30kph in towns as well as 130 kph on motorways where cruise control was used about half the time.
This looks to fit in with other folks experience.

Dennis & Aly

Currently in the pyrenees and on the drive down here we averaged 33mpg on the trip computer which I was quite pleased with bearing in mind we avoided the toll roads and went through a LOT of towns/cities.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Our 180 4motion manual is our daily drive and averages 32mpg since we bought it over a year ago. However the bike rack is a semi-permanent fitting and most longer trips are with 1 or 2 mountain bikes carried which must make a difference.
A trip up to Scotland without rack gave us nearly 40mpg and that was with only about 1000 miles on the clock.
The secret seems to be in keeping the speed down to about 60 mph on motorways. Above that and the consumption increases rapidly.

Finally got around to working out MPG... the last couple tanks I have manged 38.5 and 40.01 (the .01 is very important!) these were calculated from the tank refill ltrs. The only disappointing thing is that the trip computer showed 41 and 42.4 respsctively so about 2.5mpg ahead of reality. Is this what other folks find?

By the way thats on my usual M25 commute (25 miles each way) in a 140 manual. My next challenge having cracked 40 MPG (just!) is to get 700 miles from a tank, the last fill was at 668 miles with 55 miles range left. I just chicken out early when the light comes on! Has anyone else done 700...?

Steve.