Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What plans have you had to cancel?

We should have been in the USA on a road trip right now for our ‘summer’ holiday. It’s our kids who are worst affected though - their holiday and sports matches, competitions, a dance show that has been rehearsed for since September... they are old enough to understand and feel the implications but young enough for this time period to be a significant chunk of their life so far.

28 of us all on 1950s shaft drive lambrettas wending our way round Belgium with euro lambretta jamboree in the middle.
Then there was the trip down to SW France, first real trip in the Cali.
only had one night in her since I got the keys, oh well

I planned to buy some Lycra and a road bike so I could take up “A road” cycling, but not so sure now having read other threads on this forum ;)
I think not buying Lycra, it’s a blessing for you

Although I have a home in Barcelona, in the winter I usually live in the van in the Pyrenees to mountain ski, but now not allowed to drive. Also, mountain group friends who are doctors have called me to tell me to take exquisite care not to get sick, because if I have complications, due to my age I will not be admitted to intensive care due to hospital saturation. I'm 64 and in February skinned up and skied down two 3200m peaks in the Pyrenees in one weekend. My friends know me and will look out for me, because due to my age on the face of it officially if I have complications I will get palliative terminal care at home. Nothing like a bit of clarity. Last month we thought, like you, it can't happen here.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.16.39 AM.png

Last edited:
Although I have a home in Barcelona, in the winter I usually live in the van in the Pyrenees to mountain ski, but now not allowed to drive. Also, mountain group friends who are doctors have called me to tell me to take exquisite care not to get sick, because if I have complications, due to my age I will not be admitted to intensive care due to hospital saturation. I'm 64 and in February skinned up and skied down two 3200m peaks in the Pyrenees in one weekend. My friends know me and will look out for me, because due to my age on the face of it officially if I have complications I will get palliative terminal care at home. Nothing like a bit of clarity. Last month we thought, like you, it can't happen here.
View attachment 56967

Stay safe. Look forward to hearing of your skiing exploits next winter

Mike

I was meant to be in the UK now, training in Wales and visiting friends and family, one thing I have avoided is picking litter up the trail centres trails, but missing everyone now, good news is we've still got a lot room to manoeuvre here in Sweden.

Netherlands last month and this for work and pleasure, Looe meet in May, 4 weeks in N Spain and SW France from 16 May (all Cali) plus 7 weeks at Mrs WWs apartment (with installed in laws) in Dalian China in October with a 10 day excursion to Nepal so Mrs WW could see Everest on her 50th from ebc. China might be doable but I don’t fancy the 2 weeks quarantine they’re imposing atm.

Should've been on the way to Scotland this morning for a week in the W Highlands. Had a night on our drive instead

There is not one person in the world let alone the UK that isnt affected in some way with this, so as far as loosing a few hundred quid on ferry bookings and my family stay safe and well Im staying home until I know its safe to venture out..

Not just Cali related but we had a wedding in July, our 6 week tour of Italy in June , two week in Tenerife in May and Glastonbury … All now cancelled

We should have driven off the ferry in Cherbourg last Saturday for an 8 week trip through France and Spain. Changed the booking to September as Irish Ferries refused a refund of the €480 and they charged a fee of 30 to change the booking!I’m even doubting the September trip at the moment.
On a different note we have 2 friends and their campers locked into a site in La Marina near Allicante. Yesterday the Civil Guard arrived and told the 20 or so vans there that they were forbidden to sit outside the campers. Today they came back and locked the loos, shower and washing facilities. It’s utter madness as they are in isolation and nobody new can come in!
I’m happy to be here at home in NI and not stuck away from base and willing to wait for the all clear.
Tom

NC500, a month long trip to Spain/Portugal. Nothing booked so will try for the Autumn although I had earmarked then for a return trip to Norway.

I am also building an interior for my new, Long journey van, a Citroen Relay. But cannot buy any wood or screws etc

I am keeping the Cali short trips/a day van. I can't bear to part with it.

My daughter’s trip to Venice with friends.
Trip to Brittany
Easter break to Paris
My daughter’s 18th
Daughter’s trip to Madeira with friends
Her Prom
Her graduation
Her final major project
Our annual trip to stay in bluebell woods

Hey ho as long as we’re well!! I am looking after key worker children at school even during Easter......Health and wealth peeps!!

Missed not having any relatives at my mum's funeral this week.

I know how you feel, last Friday my sister and I cremated my mum. The original funeral was meant to be on 21st, and we cancelled that as Mum was Dutch so relatives didn’t want to risk travelling. Then I visor sky they closed all restaurants and pubs on the 20th so the wake would have been cancelled anyway.

Maybe on the 1 year anniversary when everyone can come, we will scatter the ashes and have a service. Then a party afterwards

We we’re due to get married on 16 April
Had a call yesterday & asked if I wanted to provisionally re book for September
They said it would be a provisional booking as could not guarantee that they would be open
We were then going off in the Cali for an adventure

I know how you feel, last Friday my sister and I cremated my mum. The original funeral was meant to be on 21st, and we cancelled that as Mum was Dutch so relatives didn’t want to risk travelling. Then I visor sky they closed all restaurants and pubs on the 20th so the wake would have been cancelled anyway.

Maybe on the 1 year anniversary when everyone can come, we will scatter the ashes and have a service. Then a party afterwards
So sorry for your loss. Puts everyone’s cancelled travel plans into perspective.

Back