Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What tools do you carry?

The tools are for fixing kids bikes predominantly, other than fuses & bulbs there’s not a lot On the van that I would bother attempting to fix.

Wow there are some seriously prepared Cali drivers on here. I hope I am parked next to you when I get in trouble lol.

I once saw this thread title on a Millwall FC forum, the answers were somewhat different though.
:)

A small general tool bag and a multimeter, I will investigate the bar for changing the spare I am not as strong as I was. Several torches never know where I left them.

American bojo professional trim tools and a wera socket driver set. The wera set is small in a soft case. Very special wrench that converts to a driver, again quality. Need to add a set of thin nose pliers FFX top tool supplier

Attachments

• 3705B3EB-0F0F-44BC-A55E-558EFE855AED.png
    3705B3EB-0F0F-44BC-A55E-558EFE855AED.png
    384.6 KB · Views: 28
  • CFBCB824-3A31-44EF-A98B-5F6EE583458B.png
    CFBCB824-3A31-44EF-A98B-5F6EE583458B.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 28
American bojo professional trim tools and a wera socket driver set. The wera set is small in a soft case. Very special wrench that converts to a driver, again quality. Need to add a set of thin nose pliers FFX top tool supplier
Blimey, do you plan to re-wire the dashboard while you're out on a camping trip?

For me, anything that reduces the payload capacity for essential supplies (beer outbound, chateau-bottled wine inbound) isn't getting a space. Basic tyre-changing gear etc and an adjustable spanner etc in the van (and a Leatherman like Borris's) but I work on the basis that for anything else there will be a garage along the route that can provide and wield any other tools needed.

(Serious 'overlanding' would be different of course but haven't done that in the Cali.)

These topics always catch me out, you think you have most things covered and then something like this shows up. Wallet out again then people.........

I carry lots of the above, but I also carry;
Spare Aux belt
Rear EGR flex pipe
Silicone pipe repair tape.
Spline bit set for common VW bolt sizes.

I carry the belt and pipe so that if I have a breakdown and call VW assist, He can swap these parts for me instead of having to be referred to a dealer.

Blimey, do you plan to re-wire the dashboard while you're out on a camping trip?

For me, anything that reduces the payload capacity for essential supplies (beer outbound, chateau-bottled wine inbound) isn't getting a space. Basic tyre-changing gear etc and an adjustable spanner etc in the van (and a Leatherman like Borris's) but I work on the basis that for anything else there will be a garage along the route that can provide and wield any other tools needed.

(Serious 'overlanding' would be different of course but haven't done that in the Cali.)
I have a trip to Iceland planned for later in the year

Good philosophy :)

I carry a large breaker bar and socket for the wheels. Under the drivers seat I use tupperware with a lid. It usually has pliers, Allen keys, cable ties and other odd bits. More for fixing random jobs and bikes than anything major.
That’s about as much as I carry. If it needs anymore than that it’s a recovery job or wait until I get home.

I carry lots of the above, but I also carry;
Spare Aux belt
Rear EGR flex pipe
Silicone pipe repair tape.

I carry the belt and pipe so that if I have a breakdown and call VW assist, He can swap these parts for me instead of having to be referred to a dealer.
It's a good approach and having those in the van means (sods law) your neither your aux belt nor EGR pipe will EVER fail on a trip. ;)

Always lots of debate about this topic in the endurance rallying world, tools/spares vs. weight. Taking the trouble to think through which model-specific spares items are most likely to fail is a good approach. Although while emptying my spares stash onto the verge to find a replacement bottom hose on one occasion, one of the sweep mechanics muttered that it would've been better to put the new hose onto the car before I started the rally. He was right of course. There's no substitute for sound preventative maintenance.

The best 'bush mechanic' tips used to be (a) cut in half potato smeared on windscreen if wipers fail (these days I carry a bottle of Rainex), (b) an egg broken into the rad to stop leaks (again, a bottle of Barrs or Radweld is better), and (c) a Starburst sweet is excellent for fuel tank repair (never tried it but apparently it really does work).

I have a small tool box with assorted screwdrivers, sockets + VW specific sockets, tape, fuses, bulbs but also tools for the bikes. Also an electric pump and can of gunk + Spare wheel. Never used anything on the van but on the bikes and other vehicles. Never had any problems getting a wheel off using the VW tool.

Wow there are some seriously prepared Cali drivers on here. I hope I am parked next to you when I get in trouble lol.
Please park next to me so that I can (try, and) use my tools on your van (and learn how to use them) :upsidedown :D

VW Assist covers Europe, as long as you remember to renew it after the 3 years.

Not if they are set to the correct torque setting :thumb
I've had problems with the VW tool. Combination of poor (loose) fit on the nuts and the general angling of the wheel brace. Right pita.

I think tyre shops are better than they used to be at torqueing correctly, but still I had a problem at one recently when I wasn't there to watch over the clown with the impact gun.

Deffo worth carrying a better socket/bar combo, IMO although TBH I have have the VW one in the van right now. (Do as I say not as I do.)

As far as I'm concerned the days of the DIY roadside fix on the modern car are long gone hence my minimal tools list. Unless its changing a wheel or a bulb, your chances of seeing the problem let alone getting to it are at best, remote. So if it's broken or flashing there are usually only two courses of action:

1. Switch the ignition off, wait a while, switch it back on. If it still doesn't work....
2. Call VW Assist or the AA etc.

If it's smoking, on fire or haemorrhaging fluid of any kind then there's a good chance it's buggered. Besides our roads aren't as quiet as when Mr Toad was a keen young motorist. With todays busy roads you will be risking life and limb doing any sort of road side fix.

Anyway I don't think asking a lady to remove her tights in order to replace a broken auxiliary belt would be considered PC these days that's if you could actually get anywhere near it without removing the front of the car.

As far as I'm concerned the days of the DIY roadside fix on the modern car are long gone hence my minimal tools list. Unless its changing a wheel or a bulb, your chances of seeing the problem let alone getting to it are at best, remote. So if it's broken or flashing there are usually only two courses of action:

1. Switch the ignition off, wait a while, switch it back on. If it still doesn't work....
2. Call VW Assist or the AA etc.

If it's smoking, on fire or haemorrhaging fluid of any kind then there's a good chance it's buggered. Besides our roads aren't as quiet as when Mr Toad was a keen young motorist. With todays busy roads you will be risking life and limb doing any sort of road side fix.

Anyway I don't think asking a lady to remove her tights in order to replace a broken auxiliary belt would be considered PC these days that's if you could actually get anywhere near it without removing the front of the car.
If they're wearing tights. Think leggings would be too bulky.

I don't understand, why do you need to remove parts of the car to get at whatever your lady friend has (ahem :embarrased ) in her tights?

One of these, changing a wheel is a PITA and this can usually get you to a garage or at least a safer spot to change the wheel.

One of these, changing a wheel is a PITA and this can usually get you to a garage or at least a safer spot to change the wheel.

Agreed, Ive got similar + a can of the gunge as well as a spare wheel.

Agreed, Ive got similar + a can of the gunge as well as a spare wheel.
+1. They are a good get-you-home if you have a slow puncture.

I still have a crappy one that I bought years ago from a bloke in a village in Romania after my third puncture in as many days. I had to keep stopping to use it every few km until we found a 'vulcanisers' shop. It cost me 20 euros or something, seemed like a rip off at the time but it still works.

Back