Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What would you have expected to have been replaced with a 135K mile van?

C

CB55

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi I'm new to the van world and looking for a LHD Cali. I saw a nice 2006 2.5tdi (BNZ) manual yesterday, but it has 135k miles on it - I know these engines can go a long way. It appears to have had regular servicing but the receipts from the first UK owner (2007-2019) are missing, even though there are notes in the log book. I drove it and it felt good. It has been remapped with EGR blanked.
However, I didn't see any invoices/notes for major work such as clutch, suspension, etc which you might expect for the mileage. I'm basing this on cars I have and not a Cali, so I would appreciate any thoughts on the things you would expect with that sort of mileage as stuff just wears out!
I would prefer a pre-purchase inspection from someone knowledgeable - any recommendations in the Oldham area?
TIA
Chris

Usual things as in any vehicle:

Suspension, all components get tired about 100k miles
Including top mounts bushes etc. new suspension will make it feel like a new van.

Check headlights , not sure if the early Cali had Halogen H7 as standard.
the basic H4 headlights are like a candle (very poor)

Clutch 100k+ miles
Dual mass flywheel , (usually done with the clutch)

Tyres etc

Earlier van can have issues around the rear lights , the thin copper cable rots inside the body shell and is a nightmare to replace.

Look up the MOT history using the .Gov website, that will show all advisories and failures etc since the van was three years old

The current owner would be able to contact VW dealer whom will be able to provide a full print out of VW service & warranty history.

You may be lucky in that a dealer may let you have that info without the V5, but it’s something all dealers can do if you have the V5.

I would assume the first three years would have been main dealer serviced, you may be luck in that the original owner had all servicing carried out by a Main stealer

It's my old van. I bought it from the widow of the first UK owner. She said he'd done all the work himself which I had to take on trust, but later I got the following support (below) from a friend of the deceased which backed up everything I was told....that he was a retired aircraft engineer and was supremely detailed in everything he did, particularly to his van.
The van had Dymo stickers on the steering column with the last / next service date. There were pressed cotton overalls and tools stored in the boot. The records in the book are all of the non-service events that had happened during his ownership.
I was reassured it had been looked after by someone like him rather than an uncaring apprentice in a main dealership.
Edit: he wouldn't have worried about the next owner not knowing about the basic servicing as he had no plans to sell it, and even if he did, assumed he would be around to answer any questions in the most rigorous details.
Screenshot_20240822_134534.jpg

Check the VED rate as some 2.5's are high.

It is illegal to alter the emission system ie blank off the EGR. done by many but word is that the MOT will be checking and if found vehicle impounded.

Check the VED rate as some 2.5's are high.

It is illegal to alter the emission system ie blank off the EGR. done by many but word is that the MOT will be checking and if found vehicle impounded.
That would be an interesting convo with the MOT tester ?

How to put yourselves out of business!

Back