Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Cali to Buy?

The T-ster

The T-ster

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm looking into buying an Ocean, probably 2018, though there doesn't seem to be many about in the colour I want at the price I want, so looking at 2019 which are much dearer.

I would like to know what the real differences are between the 150PS and the 199 or 204PS. I read conflicting information about fuel economy and performance. Any advice welcome to help me decide, as the price difference makes the 150PS more appealing, but if I'm going buy one - I want to buy right!

Also, I had seen some information about the logbook body classification being motor caravan for older models, but now is an MPV - what are the real implications of this? Has anyone encountered any issues now? I have checked with an insurance company and they said they will cover it no matter what it is. Are there any other issues from it being an MPV? (They are M! so no speed restrictions to my knowledge).

Any advice welcome!

I'm looking into buying an Ocean, probably 2018, though there doesn't seem to be many about in the colour I want at the price I want, so looking at 2019 which are much dearer.

I would like to know what the real differences are between the 150PS and the 199 or 204PS. I read conflicting information about fuel economy and performance. Any advice welcome to help me decide, as the price difference makes the 150PS more appealing, but if I'm going buy one - I want to buy right!

Also, I had seen some information about the logbook body classification being motor caravan for older models, but now is an MPV - what are the real implications of this? Has anyone encountered any issues now? I have checked with an insurance company and they said they will cover it no matter what it is. Are there any other issues from it being an MPV? (They are M! so no speed restrictions to my knowledge).

Any advice welcome!
If you are buying a FWD vehicle as against a 4Motion then 150.
I'm biased as I will only have a 4Motion, personal preference.
All Californias are M1 Diesel car, so no speed restrictions compared to commercial N1. The only vehicles now registered as Motor Home/Motor Caravan/Campervan are now coachbuilt or hightop vehicles registered from new.
The many T6 conversions now being built are now registered as N1 Van with Windows and may have speed restrictions.
The California , now M1 and MPV should have no problems regarding insurance but check carefully as many " car insurance " companies may not cover for " camping " accidents/damage.

All three are basically the same engine, but the 204 and the 199 (a detuned 204 for emissions restrictions) both have a dual turbo, compared to the 150 single turbo. So, more power, but also higher fuel consumption (if you use the extra power), and also more mechanical complication, which you might want to take into consideration if you plan to keep the van after the warranty runs out.

Obviously the 205 and 199ps engines have more power and better acceleration than the 150 but also use more fuel, create more emissions and are taxed accordingly. They are also more complicated which may have extra cost implications for long term ownership. However, you are looking to buy a leisure vehicle so unless your driving style is fast and furious, the 150ps will be just fine. It will just take you a little longer to get to 60mph and you won't be able to match their top speeds which is irrelevant as 99.99% of owners never go anywhere near those. The 150 has more than enough power to compete in today's traffic and accelerates very well in both manual and dsg forms. I have had both 150 versions and have been very pleased with both. My guess is that you won't find the a 150 lacking. My suggestion is to test drive them all and decide for yourself.

As for the vehicle classification. Don't get concerned, you won't be able to change it and you will still be able to get insurance, so ignore it.

Last edited:
Driving around in my beach 150 today. Ok it’s slippery out but you can’t use all the power. The wheels just spin if you pull away enthusiastically. If I was going for a 199/204 I’d want the 4 motion I think. Although there are maintenance, payload and fuel penalties to consider. The beach is lighter than the ocean. But I just drove to France loaded up with 6 people on board and felt the power to be totally adequate. So I’d say unless you want to tow or just have cash to burn go 150 it’s more than adequate. Haven’t driven the manual but the DSG makes good use of the power with 7 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Sounds pretty convincing for the 150. I want to tootle but some roads in Ireland and one day Scotland, may need a little more power but not any more than a car I guess. Want fuel economy and longevity, so thanks for this!

I find that with these large heavy vehicles it’s the suspension that’s the limiting step in terms of making progress. As others say the 150 190 etc will all cruise happily above the national speed limit on a motorway but when driving on lumpy B roads it’s not power but damping and body control that slow you down.

If you plan to tow with the Cali then the extra power may be more relevant.

Obviously the 205 and 199ps engines have more power and better acceleration than the 150 but also use more fuel, create more emissions and are taxed accordingly. They are also more complicated which may have extra cost implications for long term owernership. However, you are looking to buy leisure vehicle so unless your driving style is fast and furious, the 150ps will be just fine. It will just take you a little longer to get to 60mph and you won't be able to match their top speeds which is irrelevant as 99.99% of owners never go anywhere near those. The 150 has more than enough power to compete in today's traffic and accelerates very well in both manual and dsg forms. I have had both 150 versions and have been very pleased with both. My guess is that you won't find the a 150 lacking. My suggestion is to test drive them all and decide for yourself.

As for the vehicle classification. Don't get concerned, you won't be able to change it and you will still be able to get insurance, so ignore it.
I thought under the new DVLA taxing system both engine sizes pay the same after the first 5/6 years? £145/year at present.

Thanks everyone. Sounds pretty convincing for the 150. I want to tootle but some roads in Ireland and one day Scotland, may need a little more power but not any more than a car I guess. Want fuel economy and longevity, so thanks for this!
I was in Scotland for 5 weeks last summer with my 140, fully loaded (we brought three cases of excellent Spanish wine), two people plus two bikes, 3500km on every single track you can imagine, plus 2000km each way to/from Spain, no problem. I also go regularly to the mountains with 7 in the van, plus all equipment for hiking/skiing for a week. You only really need 199/204 if you tow a trailer or want to make sprint starts with 4Motion.

Last edited:
I thought under the new DVLA taxing system both engine sizes pay the same after the first 5/6 years? £145/year at present.
Yes, you are right. I was referring to the first years tax.

I should think everything will have changed in 5/6 years though.

The 140/150 doesn’t have the mid range torque of the 204.
Which makes for easier motorway driving and those long steep hills in Devon, you can still accelerate up instead of losing power half way to the top.
Otherwise, the lower bhp engines are adequate enough...

N
Which makes for easier motorway driving and those long steep hills in Devon, you can still accelerate up instead of losing power half way to the top.
Nonsense. My daily driver is a bi turbo Audi A7. I step out of the A7 and and I have to say for its intended purpose the 150 is more than enough for pretty much every scenario. What plonker drops a van and charges around thinking they are in a GTI....

Never had any problem staying at the speed limit on any hill in Devon, the DSG does change down of course but my 150 just keeps to the speed set on the ACC. Motorways in the UK are again never a problem if the national speed limit is the maximum required.
Towing of course would be another matter completely and the extra torque of the 199 would be a valuable asset.

Wow...
Some really silly comments above.
I’ve owner both so I can only give an honest appraisal of these engines, and it’s nothing to do with driving around like a boy racer.
The 140 loses grunt on the steep inclines and there’s nothing more frustrating than some twonk pulling into your path in the outside lane at 60 mph, then having to wind the power back up again.
Sorry, the 204 is the engine to have and I wouldn’t even consider the 150 with a fully loaded Ocean.
The 150 is better suited to a lighter loaded Beach, but really the 204 is the engine to buy...

I think the only sensible solution here (and in many other forum posts) is for the OP to try out both and form a view that suits there personal requirements. Don’t believe all the chat!

I have several fast cars and find that driving about in my 130bhp T5 is perfectly fine - drove the children up to Glenshee in it last week which is, at the Cairnwell, the highest U.K. pass and is about 2 miles at 12% plus gradient. No issues with the engine power at all.

As I implied earlier I’d rather have a 150 bhp Cali with really good suspension than a 200bhp one on OEM dampers. But then this view is so personal as to be of very little use to everyone else but may trigger a thought process in others.

Happy hunting / researching!

We have the 150 with dsg, no issues with power at all. We are averaging 33mpg from new after 4K miles. Registered as MPV, was insured with Admiral by my wife which was ok but now changed to LV with my no claims on it and commuting for 15k annual mileage.

Any advice welcome!

I’ve just bought a brand new 150bhp T6 Cali Ocean and find it fast enough even on long hills in Devon etc. I initially had your concerns about 150 vs 199. I planned on buying a 199 but couldn’t get one with the right specs so went for the 150 instead. The dsg works a treat especially when you kick it down into sport mode. A few times I’ve wanted more power but on reflection I realised that it was the road or speed limit that was the limiting factor. If the limit on a winding A road is 60mph, do you really want to go at 85 or 90 rather than say 80 while overtaking? That’s the only real difference between power outputs, a few mph after 6 or 8 seconds of acceleration. Given that you have to slow down again, go around bends etc, you’ll hit other limits before raw power becomes important. Just pop the 150 in sport mode a few seconds before you need to overtake and you’ll be fine. If it does become a problem you can always get it remapped. I’ve always ridden motorbikes (sadly no more!) so no four wheeled vehicle is truly fast in my book. I once popped a wheelie at 130mph quite by accident. That is power!

I have several fast cars and find that driving about in my 130bhp T5 is perfectly fine - drove the children up to Glenshee in it last week which is, at the Cairnwell, the highest U.K. pass and is about 2 miles at 12% plus gradient. No issues with the engine power at all.

Happy hunting / researching!

The 130 5 pot was a better engine than the modern 140 with a cylinder missing.
I went from the 130 T5 to the 140 T5.1GP and the 130 had way more torque and power.
It shifted...
Im sure VW misprinted some performance specs.
Then again, Volkswagen aren’t the best company to believe about facts & figures.

I have an older manual T5 130 and on the A361 "North Devon link road" there's only one hill I really have to drop from 6th to 5th gear in - the rest can pretty much hold steady a 60 in 6th gear. I can't say the same about any of the cars that I drive, although your driving style may vary :)

The 130 5 pot was a better engine than the modern 140 with a cylinder missing.
I went from the 130 T5 to the 140 T5.1GP and the 130 had way more torque and power.
It shifted...
Im sure VW misprinted some performance specs.
Then again, Volkswagen aren’t the best company to believe about facts & figures.
Had my 130 T5 5 pot converted transporter tuned to 170 odd. Best vehicle for pulling in 5th gear I’ve ever driven. Made mincemeat of the Alps God I loved that engine!
But I get just as much out of my 140 T5.1 Cali :)

Back