Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Cali to Buy?

Lol been in one for over a year and got the feel of it.

Just been quoted £1200 for comfort mattress and bed extension. What the heck is a bed extension? Do i really need it?! I was rying to keep cost down. Want mattress but really?

Lol been in one for over a year and got the feel of it.

Just been quoted £1200 for comfort mattress and bed extension. What the heck is a bed extension? Do i really need it?! I was rying to keep cost down. Want mattress but really?
If you are looking for an Ocean, standard equipment includes the bed extension, covering the space behind the bench seat to the rear hatch. There is a huge difference between the one that comes with the Ocean, the same as the Beach 2 seat bench, and the higher and foldable one that comes the Beach 3 seat bench, with it's higher bed. The comfort mattress, which is a very personal decision, is also much different, due to the different sleeping surfaces resulting from folding the bench flat into a bed. Investigate thoroughly, and try before you buy!

Thanks guys! Deposit down on a 150 dsg starlight blue 2019 diesel cali ocean. Hope to get it in 3 wks!

now im curious, what else do i definitely beed so i can hit the ground running when i get it home?
Bungee for pop top?
Anything else?

Thanks guys! Deposit down on a 150 dsg starlight blue 2019 diesel cali ocean. Hope to get it in 3 wks!

now im curious, what else do i definitely beed so i can hit the ground running when i get it home?
Bungee for pop top?
Anything else?

Great choice. You will love it.
You’ve been very patient with this thread too, got a bit choppy here and there lol.

There’s plenty of other threads about what accessories you might need, it’s usually wise to hold back on buying stuff until you get used to the van and can figure out what suits you, but bungee, and sparesafe are good first buys.

Congrats,

Gas bottle- 907

Ridge monkey and some bedding.
Forget about the elastic band for the roof, see how you get on first.
Best thread this year.

Bungee for pop top?
Anything else?
Keep it simple.
Cutlery, crockery, kettle and cooking pots pans etc. Some bedding, quilts or sleeping bags, some rock pegs and a mallet for awning legs, also some means of filling water tank without having to move van. Campingaz 907 cylinder and a mains electric hook up lead. That will get you going. Everything else depends on personal preference.

Bungee for pop top?
Anything else?

None of these are essential but well worth considering.
1. Service Plan - worth in in the long term. It represents a good saving.
2. Factory Extended Warranty - two years - worth having for the cost. It's as good as the original 3 year warranty.
3. Spare Safe - recommended unless you want your spare nicked.
4. Bellows Bungee - provides good protection against the canvas getting caught in the mechanism and holed.
5. Ghost immobiliser - even if thieves get your keys they won't be able to drive the car away.

The rest you'll work out to suit your own needs. Don't go overboard, keep things simple.

Bungee for pop top?
Anything else?
Awesome! I would recommend getting some beer and gin in ready for your first trip away.

1st Job...
Remap...:D

For winter/early spring use, a topper/thermal cover for the top tent is useful, but you could probably wait until next winter now. Likewise, a thermal screen cover. If you plan on taking bikes, then a bike rack is very useful. Eventually, you might decide you need some seat covers, as the light grey ones thar come with the Cali mark and stain quite easily. We eventually got carpets fitted in ours, but a large doormat/bit of carpet for the living area is useful In the meantime. Oh, and you need a mascot!

Hard questions @The T-ster :)Personal, we have to much things in the van and we were lucky to get some important things from the pre owner (such as gas bottle, hook up cable, carpets). And I def vote for some of them again however I would try to start with an empty van (some clothes, duvets, sleeping bags - down to you), get the "must haves" from above and be aware to rebuy or replace if it's not working for you. Nr 1.&2. from @Borris are great! Talk to your dealer.
IMO more important than thinking of "getting more and more" for your van is "where to go and when with your van"! Any plans? Summer, winter? Spring?

None of these are essential but well worth considering.
1. Service Plan - worth in in the long term. It represents a good saving.
2. Factory Extended Warranty - two years - worth having for the cost. It's as good as the original 3 year warranty.
3. Spare Safe - recommended unless you want your spare nicked.
4. Bellows Bungee - provides good protection against the canvas getting caught in the mechanism and holed.
5. Ghost immobiliser - even if thieves get your keys they won't be able to drive the car away.

The rest you'll work out to suit your own needs. Don't go overboard, keep things simple.
Never heard of no 5! I am getting 5yr warranty and 2 free services. Jeez never heard of a spare getting nicked, really - that happens?!

Hard questions @The T-ster :)Personal, we have to much things in the van and we were lucky to get some important things from the pre owner (such as gas bottle, hook up cable, carpets). And I def vote for some of them again however I would try to start with an empty van (some clothes, duvets, sleeping bags - down to you), get the "must haves" from above and be aware to rebuy or replace if it's not working for you. Nr 1.&2. from @Borris are great! Talk to your dealer.
IMO more important than thinking of "getting more and more" for your van is "where to go and when with your van"! Any plans? Summer, winter? Spring?
This van is basically new, so starting from scratch. Have been in a Cali before so know a lot of what I need to kit out bed and kitchen and for devices. Have my eye on inka seat covers and fitted carpets throughout. Maintenance is another thing I don’t know much about! Will be making use of the forum big time I’m sure! Have seen a fair bit of Ireland but so much more to see and love a good wild camp in front of the sea! All outdoors activities are the plans and not having to come home or book B&bs, eat what and when I want and the freedom, but surfing, climbing, hiking are all on the list every weekend! Donegal is the first stop if I have it home and kitted out for the last weekend in March! Exciting!

For winter/early spring use, a topper/thermal cover for the top tent is useful, but you could probably wait until next winter now. Likewise, a thermal screen cover. If you plan on taking bikes, then a bike rack is very useful. Eventually, you might decide you need some seat covers, as the light grey ones thar come with the Cali mark and stain quite easily. We eventually got carpets fitted in ours, but a large doormat/bit of carpet for the living area is useful In the meantime. Oh, and you need a mascot!
May debate a thermal cover yeah for next winter, if I have friends away with me and need to use the top bed. No bikes at present, too much other stuff like surfboards! Lol I soooo have a mascot, in Ireland, it has to be a sheep!! Cute and fluffy lol! Can’t name the van til I see it in person though - my new baby will be christened then!

I am so glad you managed to come to your decision with your new 150. Welsh Gas is right, keep it simple and learn what works for you.

We never bought extra bedding except for sheets for upstairs and down we just take the duvet and pillows off our bed when we go away or off one of the spare rooms if I go on my own.

If you like wild camping you may consider a Trangia or that type of thing for cooking outside if the weather is ok but if your staying on sites with EHU then electric hob and hot plate are great for free cooking. Never bothered with a bungee but most importantly have a fab time with your new bus.

Clearly, you've never been to Legoland!
Did you lose your there Borris or just don't like theme parks? I'm the latter avoid them like the plague. Sat in a field with a glass of wine and some old cars now that's a totally different ball game.

Did you lose your there Borris or just don't like theme parks? I'm the latter avoid them like the plague. Sat in a field with a glass of wine and some old cars now that's a totally different ball game.
I haven't personally lost a spare wheel at Legoland but numerous others have, including our youngest daughter. Just type "Spare stolen" into the search function and you'll see the scale of this issue on the Cali. You won't read many before Legoland gets a mention. There seems to be some form of well organised theft gang operating there. I don't know if things have changed recently but it seems to have been a particular hot spot for some time now.

Our daughter lost the spare on their new Discovery at Legoland and that was after I had warned her about the place. Not only did they take the spare but the winch thingy that helps to secure it in place. They cost well over £1000 to replace. I think from memory, she said it was going to be around £1200.

As for theme parks, I'm with you. I much prefer a country fair with steam engines, traditional country crafts and those old cars of course. However, having eight grandchildren I do occasionally take them to theme parks. We are fortunate in that the nearest thing to a theme park in our part of Kent is Dreamland at Margate which is nothing like the superb park it was in it's hay day. So they have never demanded such things. Other grand parents in our extended family have taken some of the kids, on numerous occasions, to the Disney parks in Paris and America. Frankly, I would rather poke both of my eyes out with a blunt spoon than go to either!

Last edited:
Back