Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Cali to Buy?

I'm looking into buying an Ocean, probably 2018, though there doesn't seem to be many about in the colour I want at the price I want, so looking at 2019 which are much dearer.

I would like to know what the real differences are between the 150PS and the 199 or 204PS. I read conflicting information about fuel economy and performance. Any advice welcome to help me decide, as the price difference makes the 150PS more appealing, but if I'm going buy one - I want to buy right!

Also, I had seen some information about the logbook body classification being motor caravan for older models, but now is an MPV - what are the real implications of this? Has anyone encountered any issues now? I have checked with an insurance company and they said they will cover it no matter what it is. Are there any other issues from it being an MPV? (They are M! so no speed restrictions to my knowledge).

Any advice welcome!
Hi

For what it's worth my first camper was a LWB conversion on a T6 with the standard 102bhp engine which performed adequately even with 4 adults on a 3 week trip around Europe. I now have a 150 manual Ocean which is 6 months old and we have been as far as southern Italy in it. The van was great with no power issues it returned good MPG even with 2 bikes on the back (lowered below roof line) It all comes down to how fast you want to go if you want to tow and a nod to price and future running costs. For me the 150 does a perfectly good job as a motorway cruiser or travelling through the countryside. if your undecided try all variations and make your judgement from there. Hope you get what you want and thoroughly enjoy it. For me I got a brand new Ocean with the extras I wanted for under 50k

Hi

For what it's worth my first camper was a LWB conversion on a T6 with the standard 102bhp engine which performed adequately even with 4 adults on a 3 week trip around Europe. I now have a 150 manual Ocean which is 6 months old and we have been as far as southern Italy in it. The van was great with no power issues it returned good MPG even with 2 bikes on the back (lowered below roof line) It all comes down to how fast you want to go if you want to tow and a nod to price and future running costs. For me the 150 does a perfectly good job as a motorway cruiser or travelling through the countryside. if your undecided try all variations and make your judgement from there. Hope you get what you want and thoroughly enjoy it. For me I got a brand new Ocean with the extras I wanted for under 50k
Re towing, I sometimes tow a Brian James enclosed Race Shuttle car trailer complete with veteran car inside behind our fwd 150ps Beach. From memory this trailer and car combo weighs just shy of 1800kgs. I have never experienced any problems.
Towing is a serious business and you can't legally go above 60mph in the UK for a reason. If things start to go south it can happen very quickly. Having more power and four wheel drive is useful but they are by no means essential.

I'm looking into buying an Ocean, probably 2018, though there doesn't seem to be many about in the colour I want at the price I want, so looking at 2019 which are much dearer.

I would like to know what the real differences are between the 150PS and the 199 or 204PS. I read conflicting information about fuel economy and performance. Any advice welcome to help me decide, as the price difference makes the 150PS more appealing, but if I'm going buy one - I want to buy right!

Also, I had seen some information about the logbook body classification being motor caravan for older models, but now is an MPV - what are the real implications of this? Has anyone encountered any issues now? I have checked with an insurance company and they said they will cover it no matter what it is. Are there any other issues from it being an MPV? (They are M! so no speed restrictions to my knowledge).

Any advice welcome!
Have a 150 no complaints, although I’m not towing anything, long tour at Xmas, Gibraltar and back averaged 32mpg. MPV means I get lower tunnel charges, apparently. All good

Plenty of happy 150 owners it seems. A more powerful engine and 4 motion cost more and not everyone has £60-70,000 available to buy a Cali. I’m quite happy with my 150 Ocean, plenty of grunt for the steepest hills (I’ve been up Winnats Pass in it). Mine’s happy cruising at 70 on the motorway and is only doing about 1500 rpm. I also get 38-40 mpg even when loaded up and with bikes on the back.

I have a 150 ocean dsg and am very happy with it; I often tow a boat (approx 1800kg) with no problems. Cheaper to buy and tax, with better fuel economy than 204/199. I was lent a 204 4mo caravelle (much lighter than Cali obvsly) and didn’t feel a lot of difference, except it didn’t spin the wheels when pulling away enthusiastically.

Thanks! Reckon the most I would end up towing is on a trailer for moving house one day, but no desire to tow a caravan or the like. So I’m guessing like any car, it should be adequate with 150. Have driven a 150 and was a lovely drive, but no real challenges when test drove it. Maybe a stupid question, but how many gears does the 150 have?

Thanks! Reckon the most I would end up towing is on a trailer for moving house one day, but no desire to tow a caravan or the like. So I’m guessing like any car, it should be adequate with 150. Have driven a 150 and was a lovely drive, but no real challenges when test drove it. Maybe a stupid question, but how many gears does the 150 have?
DSG, Volkswagen’s automated manual, which most people think of as an automatic, has 7. The manual has 6, unless you get a less powerful motor than the 150, then it has 5.

May be of interest.

I was given a loan manual van when my DSG was in for a service and noted that Manual 6th and DSG 7th gears were showing identical revs at 70mph.
I've not studied the relevant gear ratio figures for the 2 boxes but the DSG appears to have a closer ratio change from 1st to top gears which would be a benefit when towing.
8 gears seems to be the normal auto method now with 10 appearing on the market.

Never denied just questioned the fact that there is No Grade 1 evidence and a lot of talk and threats on the Facebook group but No Action. Yes, there was a problem with the 2010/11 manufactured engines which was fixed, but the numbers were small compared with the numbers manufactured.
Most of the commercial vehicles with problem engines were fixed in warranty BUT Californias, typically low milage, did not suffer the problem until many years later and it is very easy for VWUK to put the finger up to those owners who have the problem. But, as I've posted on here a Forum member in Sweden, who I have met, had the same problem on his 2010 180 in 2019 and the Swedish garage and VW Germany paid for the whole replacement engine. So there was a problem and VW Germany are aware but VWUK have a stranglehold on the Dealerships who are not prepared to support their customers.
Still denying that the problem with 180s continued after 2011 model year. Incredible.

Still denying that the problem with 180s continued after 2011 model year. Incredible.
Give me incontrovertible proof then I’ll believe it. Unfortunately you cannot. My 2014 180, on the original EGR, well it was replaced due to an electrical fault after 900 miles with a non-suffix EGR, has covered 98,000 miles with a grand oil usage of:

0 - 20,000 miles 1000mls
20,000 to 40,000 miles 500 mls
40,000 to 60,000 miles 250mls
60,000 to 79,000 miles 200 mls
79,000 to 94,000 miles 0 mls ( but I could possibly have squeezed in 100mls before the oil change )
So yes, I do deny there is a problem affecting ALL 180’s post 2011.

So what “ Incredible ” or should I say credible evidence have you got to offer.

Nothing. You shouldn’t take all the supposed “ evidence “ as fact. That is very simple minded.

Give me incontrovertible proof then I’ll believe it. Unfortunately you cannot. My 2014 180, on the original EGR, well it was replaced due to an electrical fault after 900 miles with a non-suffix EGR, has covered 98,000 miles with a grand oil usage of:

0 - 20,000 miles 1000mls
20,000 to 40,000 miles 500 mls
40,000 to 60,000 miles 250mls
60,000 to 79,000 miles 200 mls
79,000 to 94,000 miles 0 mls ( but I could possibly have squeezed in 100mls before the oil change )
So yes, I do deny there is a problem affecting ALL 180’s post 2011.

So what “ Incredible ” or should I say credible evidence have you got to offer.

Nothing. You shouldn’t take all the supposed “ evidence “ as fact. That is very simple minded.
Straw man argument, as usual. Never said all were affected. My only motivation for posting is to share information so we all understand the situation better. Yours usually is, but if someone contradicts you, you can’t avoid the temptation to launch an insult.

From what I read 180's are being avoided by the DIY van/camper fraternity. Many seem to have no problems but the perceived risk factor has gone too high for many to purchase one.
Talking about ex commercial vans not Cali's. Same base vehicle.

Straw man argument, as usual. Never said all were affected. My only motivation for posting is to share information so we all understand the situation better. Yours usually is, but if someone contradicts you, you can’t avoid the temptation to launch an insult.
This launching of insults, I’m not talking about what you just posted about me, I’m talking about the language you used to those unfortunate 180 owners who were trying to get some help. All those posts are still there. You might want to look into it.

And whenever asked I have stated the truth , not all are affected, there is no Class 1 evidence and there is a Facebook group, so look at all the comments and make your own mind up. Unfortunately the Trolls like to cause trouble instead of stating the truth.

This launching of insults, I’m not talking about what you just posted about me, I’m talking about the language you used to those unfortunate 180 owners who were trying to get some help. All those posts are still there. You might want to look into it.
Including the one about the Swedish forum owner who got his engine replaced free of charge by VW Germany. With all the supposed evidence why has no one taken VWUK to court?

Yes, and I advised them accordingly. Upto them who they believe.
There was a problem with some 2010/2011 vehicles acknowledged by VW and I have advised accordingly. However, post 2012 onwards then I suggest you put up the evidence.

If you feel the insult was aimed at you, well that’s your problem I’m afraid.

Thanks everyone. Valuable feedback as yes everyone has their own experiences, and based on my own research, I think due to cost the 150 will be for me. I have test drove a 150 and have been in a 204 (though not driving it) and I didn’t notice any real difference in the type of driving done. Deals on the oceans are getting thin on the ground, and they are too much money for me anyway. Would love to get one for best price, but having to go lower spec to pull it into my limit as I’m aware I need to buy stuff for the van after I get it! All adds up and I want to get out in it ASAP!

Thanks again everyone.

If you feel the insult was aimed at you, well that’s your problem I’m afraid.
It is something to watch you almost breathlessly expose yourself on the forum as one who launches insults, just not at me. Not admirable, I'm afraid.

It is something to watch you almost breathlessly expose yourself on the forum as one who launches insults, just not at me. Not admirable, I'm afraid.
Don’t be naive, most of us have had cars much more powerful than a 199/204,

Naive. No, but also not stupid enough to compare a high powered vehicle with a California, not when 2 Forum members have owned and driven/lived with the 2 engine versions of the California.

Now, since you decided to mention “honest” referring to my post, I have gone back and read your many, many posts denying that the ERG cooler was responsible for the catastrophic failures of the 180.

I have re-read my posts and not once did I deny the EGR was a problem but I did say it is not proven. 2010/2011 engines had a problem, but apparently sorted 2012 onwards AND more importantly not all engines were affected.
And I'm afraid despite your attempts to belittle me on the Forum I still maintain there is NO Class 1 evidence that the EGR is THE cause for excessive oil use in the 180 engine otherwise ALL such engines would be affected and they are not. With your knowledge would you care to offer an explanation?

Are you being so Honest with your comments?

Thanks everyone. Valuable feedback as yes everyone has their own experiences, and based on my own research, I think due to cost the 150 will be for me. I have test drove a 150 and have been in a 204 (though not driving it) and I didn’t notice any real difference in the type of driving done. Deals on the oceans are getting thin on the ground, and they are too much money for me anyway. Would love to get one for best price, but having to go lower spec to pull it into my limit as I’m aware I need to buy stuff for the van after I get it! All adds up and I want to get out in it ASAP!

Thanks again everyone.
Have you decided between manual and DSG yet.
Thats always a good thread to start :)

Thanks again everyone.

You can’t just sit in the 204 as a comparison...?
You gotta go drive the thing.

That’s like ordering a bacon sandwich, one with brown sauce and one with no sauce.
Then trying to figure out which one tastes better...

Get some sauce in your life... ;)

Back