Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Cali to Buy?

A lot of talk about engine power and not much about other features. Having owned a 150PS Ocean for 6 months, it’s perfectly fine on hills, or cruising at 70 on the motorway. I’ve driven up Winnats Pass in it with no bother. I’m getting 38-40 mpg too, even loaded up and with 2 bikes on the back.

Things I would have if I bought another would be DSG ( mine‘s a manual and I find it a bit of a pain on twisty country roads, changing gear often). I’d also like to have Adaptive Cruise Control. The normal cruise control is OK, but it would be more relaxing just to be able to track the speed of the vehicle in front with ACC. 4 Motion nice but not essential unless you plan on doing lots of wild camping or towing a trailer or horse box. I wouldn’t get too hung up on colour either, especially if you are not buying new.
If you want a particular colour you may be waiting a while.

There are quite a few bargains out there at the minute, on brand new T6’s, as dealers are looking to clear their old stock before the T6.1 comes along in the spring.

Last edited:
I've had both. had the 150 beach . at the time it suited me and I thought the engine was fine. BUT now I have a 204 ocean. that engine is fantastic. what a machine. 126mph in a campervan. I love it. the power and acceleration compared to my 150 beach is amazing. as for fuel economy I spent 46k on the van so i'm past caring about diesel cost.

Shame Volkswagen won’t give the T-range a bit more grunt...
Audi’s latest diesels combine mild hybrid tech with diesel and produce 400bhp +
Yes it’s a lot of technology to add to a van, but I would love the extra power...:cool:

Wow...
Some really silly comments above.
I’ve owner both so I can only give an honest appraisal of these engines, and it’s nothing to do with driving around like a boy racer.
The 140 loses grunt on the steep inclines and there’s nothing more frustrating than some twonk pulling into your path in the outside lane at 60 mph, then having to wind the power back up again.
Sorry, the 204 is the engine to have and I wouldn’t even consider the 150 with a fully loaded Ocean.
The 150 is better suited to a lighter loaded Beach, but really the 204 is the engine to buy...
You have your opinion, others have theirs, there is no right or wrong answer, as with everything in life just different opinions.

Those who have never had it, never miss it.

I think the comments of the 2 Forum members who have owned Californias with both engine sizes carry a lot more weight than those who have not.:thumb

Totally disagree, we aren’t slow drivers, we are very happy with the 150.
Getting a better response when you press the accelerator is nice but for some people it will always be about power, power and still more power. Comments such as wanting "400bhp" from a California or doing "126mph" in one are quite frankly, ridiculous. Sorry, but it had to be said.

The OP wanted to know which engine to go for? Some of the answers received make it sound like the 150 is underpowered and therefore best avoided. Only he/she can decide which engine they prefer in their campervan but I can assure him/her that which ever lump they choose it will be more than up to the task of driving on today's roads.

Last edited:
Those who have never had it, never miss it.

I think the comments of the 2 Forum members who have owned Californias with both engine sizes carry a lot more weight than those who have not.:thumb
Don’t be naive, most of us have had cars much more powerful than a 199/204, and know exactly what that’s about. We made our choices based on criteria that others obviously don’t share, as some of the above comments about fuel consumption show. That’s really ok.

Don’t be naive, most of us have had cars much more powerful than a 199/204, and know exactly what that’s about. We made our choices based on criteria that others obviously don’t share, as some of the above comments about fuel consumption show. That’s really ok.
Not naive. But we have 2 owners who have had Californias with both engines so their opinions are much more valid than those who have not.
If buying cost, fuel economy or servicing costs are a priority then at least be honest when stating your preference, but all that aside if financial costs etc: are ignored for a 3 ton vehicle which engine is best suited?

Not naive. But we have 2 owners who have had Californias with both engines so their opinions are much more valid than those who have not.
If buying cost, fuel economy or servicing costs are a priority then at least be honest when stating your preference, but all that aside if financial costs etc: are ignored for a 3 ton vehicle which engine is best suited?
Exactly, I couldn’t have said it better. I think your comment is a good guide for the OP.
Now, since you decided to mention “honest” referring to my post, I have gone back and read your many, many posts denying that the ERG cooler was responsible for the catastrophic failures of the 180.

take a drive of both then decide. as for 126mph. I only did that once. I only do 120 mph now. you can chew some miles up on the autobahn at them speeds.

Exactly, I couldn’t have said it better. I think your comment is a good guide for the OP.
Now, since you decided to mention “honest” referring to my post, I have gone back and read your many, many posts denying that the ERG cooler was responsible for the catastrophic failures of the 180.
ha. an EGR denyer.

Never denied just questioned the fact that there is No Grade 1 evidence and a lot of talk and threats on the Facebook group but No Action. Yes, there was a problem with the 2010/11 manufactured engines which was fixed, but the numbers were small compared with the numbers manufactured.
Most of the commercial vehicles with problem engines were fixed in warranty BUT Californias, typically low milage, did not suffer the problem until many years later and it is very easy for VWUK to put the finger up to those owners who have the problem. But, as I've posted on here a Forum member in Sweden, who I have met, had the same problem on his 2010 180 in 2019 and the Swedish garage and VW Germany paid for the whole replacement engine. So there was a problem and VW Germany are aware but VWUK have a stranglehold on the Dealerships who are not prepared to support their customers.

Don't forget.
The Ocean is a lot heavier than the Beach.
Empty, yes. But then, who drives their Cali empty? Remember, the Beach can (and mine regularly does) take 7 adults with all their equipment. That’s not even counting the 3 cases of Spanish wine 2 of us took for 5 weeks in Scotland!

You could of course get the 150 & fit a TDI Tuning box, or the like, so you have the option of multiple power settings between the original 150 & 195 dependant on your circumstances.....

There are VW dealers who will fit such devices & it is entirely removable if the need arises.

Remember, the Beach can (and mine regularly does) take 7 adults with all their equipment.

Yes, that's a good point.
The beach can be heavier when loaded that way, so thats a good reason to
go for the 204ps. :)

You could of course get the 150 & fit a TDI Tuning box, or the like, so you have the option of multiple power settings between the original 150 & 195 dependant on your circumstances.....

There are VW dealers who will fit such devices & it is entirely removable if the need arises.

The 150 bhp does have some merits.
It’s a simpler unit to live with.
I agree with some of what your saying. If I was going to buy into this engine, it would be the first thing I would do to try and extract more power.
A fully kitted Ocean would need more grunt.

Unfortunately, the warranty issue would become a concern after just sinking £60k on a new van...

Tough call, the O/P can only decide for himself. Some good points from all sides

Yes, that's a good point.
The beach can be heavier when loaded that way, so thats a good reason to
go for the 204ps. :)
Just a reminder for those who jumped in without reading the previous posts, I have a 140 and it’s fine even when fully loaded with 7 people and all their equipment.

I have had a 150 and a 199 Ocean, both of them DSG. When ordering my 150 I gave much thought to the 150v204 debate and after test drives in both opted for the 150. This was largely on the grounds of fuel economy and the higher long term maintenance costs of the twin turbo. Over 3 years of ownership I was entirely happy with the performance of the 150 and do not understand suggestions that it cannot keep up with the traffic flow and/or struggles up hills. The caveat on this is that we tour as a couple and never have the van heavily laden; those with 4 adults, several bikes, a couple of kayaks, an awning and several cases of French wine etc etc may find otherwise.

I would have quite happily stayed with the 150 until the recent deals on remaining VW stock T6 models tempted me into exploring the art of the possible. My rural location and the nature of the areas we tend to visit had steered me towards thinking 4motion would be useful. The deal on offer from VW became a no brainier for me and I now have a 199 4motion. I will have to accept higher fuel consumption and greater long term running cost compared to the 150, but I am absolutely delighted with it. The 199 4motion is a very sure footed and relaxing beast to drive. I have definitely noticed that with more power available, the DSG has less work to do in maintaining speed. That is not to say the 150 struggled, it is just that the 199 downshifts less. An obvious benefit of 4motion is that it certainly eliminates the ease I found, when testing a 204, with which a heavyish right foot could induce wheelspin when pulling out at junctions.

I am sure the vast majority of users will find the 150 happily meets their needs.

Agree with the above - i get too much wheel spin with a 150 never mind 204 - so if i opted for a more powerful engine it would have to have 4 wheel drive to use the power fully and efficiently. Despite my 2 previous cars having more than 50% extra power, my 150 Cali Ocean has more than enough power for what it is -regardless of how steep the hills are or how fast the motorway traffic is and never feels slow to me.

I would rather have DSG or 4 wheel drive on a 150 than simply the extra bhp of a 204 engine - unless i was frequently towing a caravan or something equally heavy !

Back