Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

colour conundrum! question for cherry red folks

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello there

We are at the point of making our deposit on a T6 Factory Order. It seems VW are still taking orders at the moment. we have chosen 150 DSG cherry red, sat nav system, rear camera, alcantara seats, comfort mattress black, awning. (11% off total list)

Not sure where to post this but have avidly digested much on here still 'waivering' about our choice of colour and guess would like to know others' experience on this. You would think that choosing a colour on a factory order would be the simplest of things but I have never been great at making these sorts of choices. it really is a 'high class' problem but the more I consider it the less sure I am (Steve is happy with cherry red and cant see why I am wobbling)
If I had not found VWCC.com I am sure we would not have been this quick to actually place an order. We are in the throes of that right now, having been to local dealer, had test drive, not liked their price, contacted Autoebid (after seeing about it here) and have now agreed sale with them and just waiting for dealer to contact and confirm order. have searched a lot and read most posts on colour choices from others and agreed we liked the starlight blue, but then read that dark colours show dirt and scratches more than others, like the red, but maybe it will be 'too much' after a while. options are cherry red (solid colour, and cost saving,) starlight blue, indium grey. like the black as well but that will have same issues as blue. I am sure i would be happy with any of the colours if buying from stock. not had metallic before, heard they are a pain when paint job needed.

thanks all

solid, non metallic, colours can be prone to fading over time especially red unless they are well protected by a polish coating. New paint treatments are available to prevent this though. Dealers add their percentage to the cost if ordered through them.

Colours that show the dirt encourage regular washing rather than leaving the dirt on.

Get the colour that you want as there will be plenty of time to regret having the wrong one later otherwise.

Personal view is that solid colours give the first impression of a converted van. (Getting under cover quick)

Hello there

We are at the point of making our deposit on a T6 Factory Order. It seems VW are still taking orders at the moment. we have chosen 150 DSG cherry red, sat nav system, rear camera, alcantara seats, comfort mattress black, awning. (11% off total list)

Not sure where to post this but have avidly digested much on here still 'waivering' about our choice of colour and guess would like to know others' experience on this. You would think that choosing a colour on a factory order would be the simplest of things but I have never been great at making these sorts of choices. it really is a 'high class' problem but the more I consider it the less sure I am (Steve is happy with cherry red and cant see why I am wobbling)
If I had not found VWCC.com I am sure we would not have been this quick to actually place an order. We are in the throes of that right now, having been to local dealer, had test drive, not liked their price, contacted Autoebid (after seeing about it here) and have now agreed sale with them and just waiting for dealer to contact and confirm order. have searched a lot and read most posts on colour choices from others and agreed we liked the starlight blue, but then read that dark colours show dirt and scratches more than others, like the red, but maybe it will be 'too much' after a while. options are cherry red (solid colour, and cost saving,) starlight blue, indium grey. like the black as well but that will have same issues as blue. I am sure i would be happy with any of the colours if buying from stock. not had metallic before, heard they are a pain when paint job needed.

thanks all
My Cali is cherry red I think it looks great

We love our white one but my sister just got a red one and that’s nice too but it’s not a generic colour that all people would accept.

5F0646EC-A94A-4CCB-9324-053D752E94E7.jpeg

Out of your colour choices I would get the grey infact I did - resale and practicality although if i did it again i would get the Beige. The more difficult colours either from practicality and or resale are black, silver, dark blue, bamboo green. So if you care about such things Grey, White, Beige, light blue are easiest.
Most paint even solid colours are lacquer over base these days so metallic not a worry.

We bought a second hand cherry red beach, not my first choice of colour but everything else was good so went for it. Plus points are it’s very visible, great for narrow country lane driving as people see you coming! The dealer had loads of phone enquiries from people who wanted red while we were there so I wouldn’t worry about resale too much.
We have black wheels which I think works well and there is always the option to wrap the top in white later on as the red/white combination is so classic!

We chose our cherry red over the others, very happy.

Red used to fade years ago but modern paints are great, red is easy to touch-up if needed.

Colour is a very personal choice, choose what you like and don't worry about re-sale or repair, hopefully you'll keep it clean, scratch free and wont sell it, ever...

Hello there

thanks all
Colour is a personal choice so cannot advise.

We ordered a new Cali the week before last and left the choice until we arrived at the dealers with three of our grandchildren. That was mainly because neither Mrs B nor I could decide. Our current van is Acapulco Blue and frankly I think that is the best colour on an awfully drab colour palette. However, our son said we had to ring the changes with a new van and he is right. So in the end we let our grandchildren pick the colour. Then only stipulations were not black and not Bamboo Garden Green. The youngest, 5 years, wanted either yellow or Ice cream van white over red. The middle one wanted white over Starlight blue as did the older one. So Candy White over Starlight Blue it is. However, I think it's going to be hard to keep clean. Perhaps beige and white is a better combo for looking clean longer but it's their van as much as it is ours so their decision stands.

Last edited:
Here's my starlight blue one. Love it. I've seen the red a few times and think it looks great in the flesh. Go for itIMG-20190521-WA0002.jpeg

If you go for the red paintwork you could also select matching roof canvas. I think the red always looks like a happy Cali!

If you go for the red paintwork you could also select matching roof canvas. I think the red always looks like a happy Cali!
Only if the OP has ordered an Ocean. Beach buyers aren't given that choice.

Hello there

thanks all
I see that you have gone for Alcantara. I would have optioned that too but discovered that what used to be the leather elements of the seat facings is now leatherette, i.e plastic!!!. I didn't see any advantage in paying a small fortune extra for plastic seats.

I agree with Borris, we also discounted the alcantara as you will probably fit seat covers.

Red with black awning, black cascavel alloys look great. Search for the 'edition' models to see the lower graphics in black, and a bit on the roof too. I think they are fab looking when done like that (also applies to plain white). They look like a design choice rather than the 'lower cost / whatever is available' choice.
But as we've all said, it's all personal choice.

I had a red (albeit tornado red) mk 2 golf that had been outside all its life. No paint fade at all. A good bit of wax once a year keeps those rays at bay

Yes, from the outside.
Inside when the sun is shining and the top bed is up, the whole van is pink on the inside. Not my cup of tea, but marvellous to look from outside.

Go for Cherry Red. We’ve had a T5 Salsa Red Cali for over six years, been all around Europe in it and get constantly noticed in campsites because it’s a bit of a standout compared to all the big whites and less exotic coloured vans. Amongst others we’ve had a guy in Croatia rush up to us shouting ‘bellissima’ and a Chinese guy in Finland wanting to see inside because he thought it looked so good. No sign of the colour fading and we get to call it the Van Rouge!977102A9-399B-4F92-97C5-404703BD24FE.jpeg

I have 3 Cali's. All two tones. I'm only going to mention the lower half colours as that's the business end! Acapulco blue is the easiest to look after. Midnight blue looks amazing especially when the sun hits it but boy it shows up the slightest scratches. It's a nightmare to keep perfect...almost as bad as a black. Cherry Red is ok, I just find it a bit...meh! The White over starlight blue is by far the biggest crowd pleaser. People always want to talk to me about that one!

Hello there

thanks all
Red Cali's look great, go for it :)

I thought that might be the case from the inside perspective. Glad you mentioned this as we are currently specing up a T6 two tone and one of the options under consideration was a red canvas but will pass on that now. I still think it looks good on a van and wonder if an iso-top would reduce the pink hue.

Hello there

thanks all
We had the chance of Cherry Red Black Mojave or Garden Green. Our preferred colour was always going to be Mojave as our Kombi was that colour and we loved it. Wash weekly always wax and look after your Cali

Our first Cali was grey, nice colour and was great for resale. New one is candy white. Really like it and the fact it’s a bit more understated (most people think it’s just a van). Can always wrap it to make a 2 tone should one feel the need.

If doing a factory order, I would avoid black and red. I probably wouldn’t order Mojave or silver (which is becoming far less popular). Doesn’t mean lots of people don’t adore these colours otherwise VW wouldn’t offer them. Starlight and Acapulco look good, as do grey and white, I’d stick to these 4. At the end of the day, buy whatever floats your boat.