Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which would you buy?

Which should I buy?

• Option A (80L tank, cheaper)

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Option B (heated windscreen and 2nd drawer)

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Toss up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
T

turnitdown

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Am looking at two Oceans in my preferred colour, new unregistered, that have an identical spec (wood-effect floor, tow bar, shower, mattress), except for these differences:

Option A: 80l tank + safe box + Aracaju wheels

Option B: Heated windscreen + 2nd drawer + Woodstocks

I definitely prefer the Option B spec (for the heated windscreen and 2nd drawer - I'm fine with either set of wheels, may even prefer the Aracajus for looks and durability).

The thing is, the Option B van is £1300 more. It seems kinda crazy to pay that for the heated windscreen and 2nd drawer. What do you think?

(I should say even the more expensive van is available at nearly 12% off list, so overall is still a good deal.)

The only other difference is Option A is available mid-August, Option B is available around September 1 (so 74 reg).

Am looking at two Oceans in my preferred colour, new unregistered, that have an identical spec (wood-effect floor, tow bar, shower, mattress), except for these differences:

Option A: 80l tank + safe box + Aracaju wheels

Option B: Heated windscreen + 2nd drawer + Woodstocks

I definitely prefer the Option B spec (for the heated windscreen and 2nd drawer - I'm fine with either set of wheels, may even prefer the Aracajus for looks and durability).

The thing is, the Option B van is £1300 more. It seems kinda crazy to pay that for the heated windscreen and 2nd drawer. What do you think?

(I should say even the more expensive van is available at nearly 12% off list, so overall is still a good deal.)

The only other difference is Option A is available mid-August, Option B is available around September 1 (so 74 reg).
Heated windscreen defrosts just windscreen with ignition On while you sit in a cold van. Parking Heater on, via remote inside house, 30 minutes before departure defrost ALL windows and warms up van.

Option A.
I agree with both above, parking heater heats whole van switched from the comfort of your bedroom (if you're that way inclined) and 14% extra fuel capacity equals the same in driving range. Combined with a lower price, to me it would be no contest.

I do appreciate the 80L tank. And my leveling chocs fit nicely in the space occupied by the small drawer so I would choose Option A

I was thinking the heating screen would be good for a general quick defrost and that, if I don't get one with that, every time I have to wait for the defrost I'll be reminded of it. On the other hand, I see how if I don't get the 80L tank, every time it's getting low and I have to pull over I'll just think about how I could have gone another 100k without bothering to fuel up, if only I had opted for the larger tank.

I realise the small second drawer can be added later but it seems a faff it would be nice to avoid. I've not had an Ocean before so don't know how much I'd feel that space is needed. The main use of the van would be for me solo, 3 to 4 nights at a time. That said, I also ski and skipping the second drawer would give a tidy solution for that (easy enough to keep skis in the van other ways but not quite as tidy).

£1300 is a lot of money though. Am tempted to go for the cheaper van and put a good chunk of the money saved toward seat covers.

Option A - cheaper, bigger fuel tank, easy to change alloys later & can be enjoyed sooner.

(Camping / engine preheater can be used defrost the screen in the winter.)

Heated windscreen would cost more to repair/replace in case of a chip.

Second drawer is very useful. But ours is only two years old and already needs replaced as its handle is badly bent and blocks the main drawer (a common enough issue as far as I can see here). In your case, it sounds like it might even get in the way. If you search this forum, you’ll find a few ideas of storage boxes that fit neatly in the space if you really want a storage space there.

You didn’t mention this but the second drawer option also (randomly) comes with the storage net for the upstairs bed. That’s quite useful to store your phone/glasses/book/bottle of water at night when sleeping upstairs. But not essential (and actually quite annoying when you’re seating in the front seats when camping as it gets in your face).

80l tank will give you a 900km - 1,000km range. But then the default 70l would give you 800km - 900km, which is plenty and more than most cars. Doubt you’d notice the difference.

All in all, save the money I’d say and use it for something nice.

I’ve never seen the point in the larger fuel tank. For example you’re doing the NC500, too if you pass a fuel station. Thats the golden rule, it’s not a supercar with a tiny fuel tank. Ten litres extra capacity is nothing. Sounds like a good money maker for vw.

I’ve never seen the point in the larger fuel tank. For example you’re doing the NC500, too if you pass a fuel station. Thats the golden rule, it’s not a supercar with a tiny fuel tank. Ten litres extra capacity is nothing. Sounds like a good money maker for vw.
Hardly a money spinner unless you consider 80 euro is taking the Mickey. The less time I have to spend on a petrol station forecourt the better. And 80L gives more time for the heater to continue operation. I appreciate it.

Option A on a pure price / options decision.

But which dealers and is one perhaps more local. There are some dealers I'd avoid like the plague.

In fact you might add a new survey with the dealer listed alongside each of the two options!

Option A, I have heated windscreen, rarely use and not that effective, using parking heater to defrost and warm up the van is a better option. Extra 10l of fuel capacity will more than likely come in handy.

Just when you think you've made a decision, the price difference between the two Californias dropped to £450. I was pretty sure I wanted Option A when it saved me £1300, somewhat less sure at merely £450. Arghhhhh.

The tricky thing is people's opinions vary so much on the usefulness of the heated windscreen and acoustic glass. Some people swear by them and say they both make a huge difference, others report them utterly useless.

If prices are dropping that much in peak camper van selling season, would hold off buying for a while.

If prices are dropping that much in peak camper van selling season, would hold off buying for a while.
well, yes, I am considering that. I have been offered a huge discount off list and I figure if that is being offered now when it's still July, what will things be like in September as new Calis arrive in the UK? That said, to beat the current offer I suspect I'd have to find something in stock where a dealer is willing to sell at a loss, that could mean waiting around longer than I'm keen to wait.

Option A.

2nd drawer can be retrofitted easily with VW parts, albeit it is expensive. An advantage of retrofitting it is that you don’t then have the additional (factory fit) roof net in the sliding hatch, which comes as a package with the second drawer option. I’ve read that this can make the sliding hatch v difficult to close given the new thicker bellows.

I didn’t spec heated windscreen when ordering our new Beach and, despite living in Scotland, haven’t regretted that decision.

It’s a personal choice, but I much prefer Aracaju wheels. Woodstocks are very asymmetrical, which would just annoy me.

I’ve read that this can make the sliding hatch v difficult to close given the new thicker bellows.
No, it’s fine even with an isotop fitted.
I’d go with option A even if only £450 cheaper. Heated windscreen pointless with a parking heater. 80L tank useful to fill up less often, potentially with cheaper fuel.
Woodstocks look like caravan hubcaps, and are diamond cut. Avoid.

I was thinking the heating screen would be good for a general quick defrost and that, if I don't get one with that, every time I have to wait for the defrost I'll be reminded of it. On the other hand, I see how if I don't get the 80L tank, every time it's getting low and I have to pull over I'll just think about how I could have gone another 100k without bothering to fuel up, if only I had opted for the larger tank.

I realise the small second drawer can be added later but it seems a faff it would be nice to avoid. I've not had an Ocean before so don't know how much I'd feel that space is needed. The main use of the van would be for me solo, 3 to 4 nights at a time. That said, I also ski and skipping the second drawer would give a tidy solution for that (easy enough to keep skis in the van other ways but not quite as tidy).

£1300 is a lot of money though. Am tempted to go for the cheaper van and put a good chunk of the money saved toward seat covers.
I’m firmly in the cheaper option camp.

Save the £1,300. I find the extra drawer a bit pointless. I shove things in there, but wouldn’t miss it.

Heated windscreen? Really not a a need to have. Heat the van with the remote. And fill the windscreen reservoir with Prestone. Melts ice.

Just when you think you've made a decision, the price difference between the two Californias dropped to £450. I was pretty sure I wanted Option A when it saved me £1300, somewhat less sure at merely £450. Arghhhhh.

The tricky thing is people's opinions vary so much on the usefulness of the heated windscreen and acoustic glass. Some people swear by them and say they both make a huge difference, others report them utterly useless.
Re acoustic glass (I’ll duck under the parapet while those who have it disagree). I looked at speccing the Acoustic Pack. VW Breeze told me not to bother.

Who knows, it’s all personal choice. But I figure they have more collective Cali experience thank most of us.

Re acoustic glass (I’ll duck under the parapet while those who have it disagree).
Acoustic cab glass (but not a heated windscreen) came standard with my sports pack. One of those things you don’t notice, and can’t compare unless you’ve spent time in one without it.
Confirmation bias makes me glad to have it, assuming it is marginally quieter and perhaps even better thermally insulated. But it’s also a sales tactic, to build a customer’s reassurance by gifting knowledge that cannot be confirmed and that the dealer makes little profit on.
Just seems odd to me that a pointless option made it through to production, and was kept on the option list until the end of the 6.1.
Would be interested to know the truth.

Acoustic cab glass (but not a heated windscreen) came standard with my sports pack. One of those things you don’t notice, and can’t compare unless you’ve spent time in one without it.
Confirmation bias makes me glad to have it, assuming it is marginally quieter and perhaps even better thermally insulated. But it’s also a sales tactic, to build a customer’s reassurance by gifting knowledge that cannot be confirmed and that the dealer makes little profit on.
Just seems odd to me that a pointless option made it through to production, and was kept on the option list until the end of the 6.1.
Would be interested to know the truth.
Acoustic glass seems pretty pointless if VW don't sound insulate the body panels. Job half done. As you say a bit of a sales gimmick.

Acoustic glass seems pretty pointless if VW don't sound insulate the body panels. Job half done. As you say a bit of a sales gimmick.
All the body panels have at least one layer of something over them, the door glass is the easiest route for sound into the vehicle & it also happens to be close to your ears so any improvement is worth having.
Having had 2 vans without it & one with, I would specify it again, the biggest improvement seems to be at high speed on the motorway, it cuts out more of the wind noise around the door mirrors.

The laminated glass is also a good security feature, you won't get anyone smashing the side window to grab anything left on the dashboard.

Back