Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

Wider wheels on Cali

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tyres' started by Jamie Eborall, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Jamie Eborall

Jamie Eborall

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Year:
    Superb. I was hoping you'd say that,, She's gonna look great down in Croyde on our surf trips.. Thx Guys..

2. sidepod

sidepod VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Wider rims increase inboard contact patch width and thus more early wear on inner edge of rear tyre, especially if lowered.

3. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Lighten up man. Let the guys who want style have style and those who want it all OEM stick to standard wheels. :). Not saying you are wrong or not entitled to your opinion though....

• Like Like x 1
  4. sidepod

sidepod VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Blimey!! And here's me thinking I was proving unbiased information on the topic. Silly me.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Lost Boy

Lost Boy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Apologies for the delay, its the standard VW factory drop so that's 30mm I think and they are load rated 18's. On well surfaced roads and slight bumps it rides just fine, the only time I really notice it is with really rough surfaces or large potholes. i prefer the car like drive in the corners, whilst its no sports car it does inspire a bit more confidence in my opinion. As the others have said you should do it :Stig

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Welcome Welcome x 1
  6. T6LB

T6LB VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Hi days out
    Love the look of your cali i have been offered some vw 8j 20h2 et41 wheels with 235/45/R20 tyres will these go straight on my cali

Thanks Lee

7. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Hi Lee.

When I was looking at tyres it's a question of ensuring the outside diameter is as close to the original tyre as possible. This keeps the speedo and mileage same. I believe the diameter should be within 5% tolerance of the original fit best results. For the width of rim i have I was advised to go for 285/35R20. The correct tyre all Depends on your wheel width.

I see you have been offered a 50mm narrower tyre but deeper aspect ratio (45) so the tyre wall will be deeper than mine there fore the overall diameter will be bigger. However I know people fit 45 section tyres and they fit so you should be ok.

There is a formula that I'm sure you can find to work out your current diameter and the new tyre.

The thing is that the wheel diameter is in inches and the width in cm so its not simple calculation as you have to convert the inches of wheel diameter to cms, because you need to find the rolling radius of the tyre to compare like for like.

My guess without working it out is it will be ok. But you won't get he same look as mine because the tyres are 50mm narrower total width (25mm per side narrower) and the ET is 4mm different.

I'm sure they will fit but I'm not sure they will look as pushed out as mine.

Also check the hole on the centre is same as your original wheel and bolt holes PCD is same plus of course check the wheels and tyres are load rated for the weight of your van. Finally make sure you tell your insurance company.

Do you have a photo of the style of the alloy rim?

We're they originally fitted to a vw Cali it Transporter?

8. T6LB

T6LB VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Thanks for your reply that's the wheels I've been offered

IMG_0700.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  9. Teejay1

Teejay1 VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Wow they look the bees knees !

10. T6LB

T6LB VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Thanks Teejay

11. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    They look very nice but are they load rated? I can't see the load rating on the tyre wall.

12. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Here is the tyre load rating chart below

You need tyres with at least 102 which gives 850 load per side (1700 per axle). The wheels need similar load rating.

IMG_1875.JPG

13. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Here is the wheel detail sticker for my wheels if it's of help.

IMG_3172.PNG

CB is the centre bore
    ET is offset
    PCD is the circle scribed by the bolts (x5)
    S stands for strong and are load rated for the California.

14. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Hi Lee.

I've had a look on some previous posts to check details. Axle load is 1610kg for California Ocean.

So divide by 2 and this is the minimum load for each wheel and tyre. So 805kg.

My wheels are load rated to 890kg and my tyres to 850kg.

So on the tyre rating chart you can see that you need 101 minimum. Most people will advise fitting a tyre with a higher rating. The 17" wheels original equipment were rated 104 on my van. You can't always get this high with lower profile tyres.

Best check with the tyre supplier the tyre load rating and check the wheel load rating. It's sometime inscribed on the back of one of the spokes. I have a feeling the wheels you show in the picture are for a car and might not be load rated for a Cali.

Hope that's of help.

15. sidepod

sidepod VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Shouldn't the wheels have something like this cast in?

IMG_0218.PNG

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Yep. That's right side pod. It should be cast into the back of the spokes or rim like the photo.

Also this info should be available with the details of the wheels. My wheels had a label on the box (posted above) with confirmation of the spec.

17. Kmann

Kmann Love it! VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    I have the 18" TOLUCA (255/45 R18 103ZR/Y) and would not go bigger. It has good looks, drives well – also in countries where the roads a not optimal. And consumption is still good. I guess its a good compromise.

For me the functionality and comfort is quite important. I guess if I should go anywhere else, it would be alterations for better off-road handling. Besides it is my daily drive, it is also our adventure car – and adventures begins where asphalt ends ;-)

IMG_4042.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. B J G

B J G VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    By the label in the photo they are 9x20 not 8x20. a 235 would be stretched out too far & you'd have no rim protection. A 255/35/20 tyre would be a close gearing match if an extra load version is available.

19. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    My tyres are 285/35R20 and are correct for the rims.

I think you misread the post.

Lee asked if his wheels and tyres would fit his vehicle. The size you quote was what he has on his narrower rims.

I was just posting the label to highlight the CB and ET to help him.

20. Days out

Days out

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:

Nice wheels Kmann! But I have to disagree about ride quality. I went from 17" to 20" and cannot not any detriment in ride quality.

I do admit that as the tyre wall is thinner you have to be more careful of stones, potholes and kerbs. I guess as you say it depends on how much off road you want to go.