Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you lend your Cali to your kids?

3 grownup kids and I would probably have to say yes
Had the van coming up 5 years and fortunately I haven’t been asked
Honestly speaking I think they would be too frightened to drive it !

Alan

Of course I would, it is only a peice of metal at the end of the day and any damage can be repaired. I would much rather them be out enjoying it than it sitting on the drive! You would have to be a right grouch to say no !

they can have a kidney but the van is mine until the other kidney packs up

Of course I would, it is only a peice of metal at the end of the day and any damage can be repaired. I would much rather them be out enjoying it than it sitting on the drive! You would have to be a right grouch to say no !
Mines only on the drive if I happen to be sleeping at home that night.

My Dad lent me his precious Hymer on multiple occasions, though I now realise I was about 40 at the time, which set in the motion an eventual California purchase. All that went wrong was one popped fuse & blackened iPhone charger.

I was a bit careless until I was about 25, but I’ve since turned out okay ...
:cheers

Lent our Bessie for several week ends. Like many of the posts, we get a great kick out the enjoyment they get, and they love it. However, I would say each to their own as everybody has different circumstances. As to driving I trust my Son’s more than mine.

Our Cali will be 2 in Jan and my son turned 8 in Sept and I’m already dreading him asking me one day! .

“No” will be the answer... Ha Ha!

(unless I have a new one by then and the current one is used as a spare???? Ha Ha!)

My brother lived for many years in China with his young family. He would return to the UK for holidays. Dad would always lend him his Land Rover discovery, and mum and dad would share mum's smaller car.

Previously I had leant my brother my Peugeot 406, and, if asked, I would not hesitate to lend any of my three brothers my California. I'd expect to be able to borrow Toby's canal boat, or Sam's ski flat in Hokkaido, or Oliver's trailer.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

No NO No. Not even the wife....... No..... Look inside the wifes car.... Its a horror story and its only 3 yrs old... She often says "its only a car"......... NO How would she treat Jenny??????
I couldn't agree more. We have sold three of our cars in the past to our eldest son and his family (all at a token minimal price). All were in good condition when sold and all were treated thereafter as mobile dustbins.

Our youngest son has either had most of his cars written off by third parties, written them off himself or had some incident that caused severe damage (including hitting a badger). He's a mechanic and you know what they say about cobblers and their shoes!

Our eldest daughter and her husband have their own camper van but I doubt if I would ever lend it to her as I taught her to drive (well supervised her for extra practice whilst her driving instructor did the actual teaching). I still bear the mental scars from those drives. I would only say something if she was doing something dangerous or clearly wrong but the arguments we had..........oh the arguments. She was always right!

Our youngest daughter was little better. To this day, the first thing that she will say on meeting us is usually about some idiot who has just nearly caused her to have an accident! She recently managed to crash into her mother in law who she was following. Not good policy.

I am a bit OCD and treat our Cali accordingly so in essense, hell would have to freeze over first.

Last edited:
I am a bit OCD and treat our Cali accordingly so in essense, hell would have to freeze over first.
I reckon you're a big softy, and any of your sons or daughters could borrow your Cali. All they need do is send in a grandson or granddaughter with big wide eyes to ask on their behalf - or all plead together at Sunday lunch with Mrs Boris looking at you sternly, and spotted dick and custard about to be served.

Yes, it's just a van for God's sake.however I would not allow him to mind Batman.F

I reckon you're a big softy, and any of your sons or daughters could borrow your Cali. All they need do is send in a grandson or granddaughter with big wide eyes to ask on their behalf - or all plead together at Sunday lunch with Mrs Boris looking at you sternly, and spotted dick and custard about to be served.

Well alright, I concede that it's just possible, but I would need to be very mellow indeed, almost to the point of being in a post prandial coma from copious glasses of fine grape juice and spotted dick before ever handing over the keys. If that ever comes to pass I won't get a wink of sleep once I realise what i've done.

Last edited:
Both my Sons drove Albert but never borrowed him.

I would have no problem if My son wanted to take his children away in Alfie and I would fill it with fuel and deliver it to him with my greatest delight.

It broke my heart for so many years not being able to take my children away on holiday because we were too poor and when some friends lent us a frame tent one year, when my children were about 8 years old, two weeks at Croyde was like having all our Christmas's come at once.

to think of My Grandchildren having that freedom would bring the biggest smile on my face ever and to hell with the van, it's only a van that I will only have for a few years anyway, my children and my Grandchildren will have memories forever.
Great - I lent my cali to my eldest son and the joy of seeing my grandkids talking about their "adventure" was beyond the cost of any likely damage ( which there was none). YES

My kids are 28 and 34 ( not so much kids any more) should I offer up the California for them to holiday in next year as they both keep hinting! Both have been driving since 20 , I am just worried how I would deal with it if they caused any damage?
NO !!!!!

yes, I would and I do. Our 18-yo daughter uses it regulary to tow a trailer. I'm more worried about the horse, than about the van. On her first trip she managed to crash the mirror, but I it was fixable and now is as good as new. And I really enjoy watching people's faces when they see her behind the steering wheel.

yes, I would and I do. Our 18-yo daughter uses it regulary to tow a trailer. I'm more worried about the horse, than about the van. On her first trip she managed to crash the mirror, but I it was fixable and now is as good as new. And I really enjoy watching people's faces when they see her behind the steering wheel.
Who paid for the new mirror?

I gave up.

The constant hectoring of "gran with a van...... can we borrow it" .... Of course darlings, off you go .....

2 drivers.jpg

My kids are 28 and 34 ( not so much kids any more) should I offer up the California for them to holiday in next year as they both keep hinting! Both have been driving since 20 , I am just worried how I would deal with it if they caused any damage?
This is a question my wife and I ask ourselves, hypothetically, because we do not yet own a Cali.
It is one of the 'justifications' that we have come up with for the rather ludicrous list price of these vehicles.
We both agree that it would give us great pleasure to wave them off in it (all three of them with their partners in turn, not at the same time!) and to know that we are able to help with life's costs and add a bit to their enjoyment. Since no one ever appreciated anything they received for free, there would be some contribution to running costs required and an explicit understanding that if they break anything they come good for the full cost of the repair - road accidents apart.
In reality - and from what we have learned from talking to other owners - finding the time slots to make it available would be the problem. We would have first dibs naturally.

We are in the very lucky position that we can afford to buy a Cali in the first place. The world is a harsher place for many of the younger generation who will not manage to quietly enrich themselves though the good fortune of property appreciation, a free 'Ticket' from Uni and a UK pensions system which was little more than a ponzi scheme for the benefit of a lucky generation. Our three young adults are lovely people who worked and still work harder that we ever did, to be able to share the fun would, in fact, be a privilege.

We are in the very lucky position that we can afford to buy a Cali in the first place. The world is a harsher place for many of the younger generation who will not manage to quietly enrich themselves though the good fortune of property appreciation, a free 'Ticket' from Uni and a UK pensions system which was little more than a ponzi scheme for the benefit of a lucky generation. Our three young adults are lovely people who worked and still work harder that we ever did, to be able to share the fun would, in fact, be a privilege.
I worry about this with our little boys. Obviously we will want to support them through university, and not allow them to be saddled with debt when they begin their working lives.

I was very impressed to see how some German friends lived. Our friends parents own a large detached house over three floors. Each floor is its own independent apartment, parents ground floor, and their two daughters with their husband and family on each of the other two floors. The garden is shared, and so is the great white.

Apparently, this sort of extended family living is quite common in Germany.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

Yes I'd lend mine without hesitation! Might be a bit difficult as it's my daily driver but we'd find some way to make it work.
My younger daughter is probably responsible for my owning it anyway as she's had a campervan for about 7 years and lived in it for part of that time, and I went to stay with them in Spain and loved the life.
And my older daughter is always there when I need her (really need her, like when I broke my leg in Wales, and when I had a heart attack)

Not so sure about lending it to my 20 year old grandson, or my presently 16 year old grand-daughter who's currently saving for a car. Partly because Adam is your typical 20 year old lad, and Grace is an airhead!

No hesitation in lending ours, as mentioned above its only a vehicle at end of the day and any damage can be repaired, seeing them enjoy it would be well worth it.

Back