Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 easy and cheap ways to prevent Cali theft, even if the thief has the keys!

rookeryview

rookeryview

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Reading about another house break in and key theft story on the forum, I thought, "that's enough", lets sort this out.

So I've got 2 ways here for you to prevent your pride and joy being taken, even if you hand the keys over yourself !

Here's all you need;
DSCI3195.JPG

Method 1
This is based on an idea previously posted, but I've added a padlock!

Turn the drivers seat round.
Fold the back of the seat forward as far as it will go with the knob, and then push the seat right up against the steering wheel.
Next, take off the plastic cover behind the seat, and underneath there are a set of holes in the seat rail, perfectly drilled to take a simple padlock. Imagine the stress building up when the seat won't move!

(I did contemplate driving the Cali by sitting in the passenger seat, but I don't think this would be very successful if you were in a rush, or wanted to drive more than a few hundred yards.)

DSCI3189.JPG

Method 2
I noticed that under the accelerator pedal, there's a metal stop, which has a gap big enough for a padlock to go through (2015 model at least)
When a padlock of the right size is put through the loop, there's no way to push the throttle down as it jams the motion. Again, it's nearly impossible to see, let alone cut off, and in the panic of escape, this will certainly ward off the thief, and will probably collect some forensic evidence of the perpetrator in the failed process. On the seat, if you are lucky... :Grin

DSCI3193.JPG

These ideas are so crafty, that you probably don't really want someone breaking into your house in order to fail to steal your Cali, so I suggest some sort of notice hanging on the steering wheel saying something like "This vehicle can't be driven with the keys alone" will give someone scoping you out, at least one extra chance to pass you by.

I agree that these are a little fiddly, but either will pretty much render a theft impossible.
It's alright relying on your insurance to bail you out, but this isn't really a solution as your NCB will be marked, you may not get the full value back, and you'll loose a lot of time waiting for all this to be sorted out while you wait for a new Cali to be delivered, so the actual loss is a pain and well worth preventing.

If we all did these things (and more) as a matter of course, then they would leave us alone for good. That must be worth the effort, surely?

Sleep easy friends!

:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance

Method 2 , the pedal thing looks good stuff .
The seat thing is way to much hassle to put up , you would do this a few times and then just won't bother anymore ....my guess....
For long time parking it would work

Good thinking rookeryview....:thumb
But short park ups are also dangerous , specialy on holliday trips.
I got a Bearlock on my DSG gearbox and lock it every time i leave the verhicle , even when going in the supermarket....did cost me 500 euro but so easy to use and under normal conditions this is a no go for thieves....

Can't see one sticking his head under the steeringwheel with a padlock every time they get out of the verhicle .
A Bearlock takes 2 seconds sitting behind the steeringwheel....contact off ....keys out ...reach under gearstick......Bearlock on.....one move .

Good call, I'll be doing the padlock thing when it's left on the drive when we holiday without it.
Cheers for posting.

So simple !!! I love it! :thumb

great ideas, thanks a lot, will be getting 2 padlocks

Do you not think thieves read forums and then come equipped with all the tools.

Those that have the mental capacity and IQ larger than their shoe size probably do. But then if they want your vehicle they will get it no matter what you do. They are the Professionals. But it will probably confuse and stop the local scumbags and opportunists.
Every little bit helps.:thumb

Just thinking out loud ........ I have a couple of good quality motorcycle U locks kicking around :) Time to see where they'll fit.

The seat thing is way to much hassle to put up , you would do this a few times and then just won't bother anymore ....my guess....

I got a Bearlock on my DSG gearbox and lock it every time i leave the verhicle , even when going in the supermarket....did cost me 500 euro but so easy to use and under normal conditions this is a no go for thieves....

Can't see one sticking his head under the steeringwheel with a padlock every time they get out of the verhicle .
A Bearlock takes 2 seconds sitting behind the steeringwheel....contact off ....keys out ...reach under gearstick......Bearlock on.....one move .

The Bear lock is obviously easy to use and should be fitted by VW as standard. It's not available in the UK.
These ideas are cheap and simple and ideal for use at home or when leaving it for extended time when away.
You have to share these things and the naughty boys will read this, but you can't see if these are fitted from outside and it's hard to crack when you need a quick getaway. Imagine thinking you will nick one, you have the keys, and then you are faced with this situation, tooled up or not. That would cause anxiety in any thief. Especially if both were fitted. You will need a clever tool and a cool head to crack the pedal one as it's virtually inaccessible to any tool capable of cutting a hardened lock in that position.
Anyone can break into a house and steal some keys. This makes it very tricky for anyone but the best, and if they fail, they will leave their dna behind, which they know could convict them if they have form.
I would be very scared now this is spreading around the net.
BTW - works for other cars too probably, even if the seat can't rotate.

What we now really need is an international club sticker (like the existing one maybe) stating that there are other methods of security fitted. If you fit a cheap tracker, these two locks and smartwater, you will get change from £50 , and we will get the upper hand on this life spoiling event.
Might prevent a house break in too.

Last edited:
A Cali (in my op) is unlikely to be swiped by an oportunist thief, more likely pros stealing to order. In other words, if they want it they'll have it. They'll probably rock up with a flat bed truck and simply take it away.

Any anti theft device that causes noise or time to defeat will be effective.

Good thinking above though.

Perhaps it's time to start taking off the distributor head (himself has just told me that apparently it was the HT lead) and carrying it around in my handbag. We used to do this on our Nissan 200 sx in the USA!
Wonder if the alarm will set with it off...!
Only joking but it certainly used to work.

Last edited:
What distributor head and ht lead?

John

I like the look of some of the trackers but as a simple method I shall explore a cut out switch as well. Not going to stop it being low loaded by pros but will stop most. I had a MK1 Golf for years which was a target. It was not alarmed and had rubbish locks so I therefore left nothing in it of value and did not lock it to avoid the idiots damaging it. I simply used an unused switch in the vehicle as the cut off. On occasions I would whip out the distributor cap as it was petrol. On numerous occasions I found my vehicle had been entered but no damage was ever done. I shall probably explore some sort of manual cut out for my Cali but not leave it unlocked as it is alarmed.

I always think a big visual deterrent is best like a wheelclamp or steering wheel lock as above if you have small things out of site they will still cause alot of damage before they realise.

I have a pedal lock on my T25 like this http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t25-p...ty/van-safe-t-pedal-vw-t25-rhd-1979-1992.html its really sturdy and links all 3 pedals together making it hard to do much with it.

It is unfortunately rather hefty and a pain but when we are camping or leaving the T25 somewhere less safe we put it on. I wonder if they do a T5 version?

The padlock idea is great although I'd probably keep forgetting its there.

Am I right in saying'any movement of the vehicle would trigger off the movement sensor when switched on i.e.lifting the vehicle onto a low loader!

Alan

Yes it was quoted somewhere as being an anti tow alarm

Yes it also has a tilt sensor which would also go off if trying to load it.

I'm sure some top range vehicles get loaded, but is there much evidence of this? Most public parking places, roads, or even your own driveway make this a difficult task without drawing attention to yourself.

The Cali is well equipped with alarm sensors, but it's the keys that are the achilles heel. Physical additions are what's needed on top of this to add another problem layer, and visual deterrent.

I very cheap and simple way I have used is to install a small hidden switch within reach or use one of the unused switch spaces on the dash and use it to by pass / isolate either the brake light or clutch switch (depending on manual or DSG) as you need to push the brake or clutch to start the engine. I prefer to use a momentary switch that you have to push every time so you can't forget to set it. Anyone with keys could jump in but it would not start without pushing the "special switch" at the same time as turning key. Could also fit a key operated switch if required.

hotel. where do you get bear locks fitted in Europe. do they have fitting centres or garages might get one fitted when over in Europe cheers dale

Did I not read somewhere that to leave the front wheels turned would make it harder even to low load?