Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2021 Coast rear suspension sagging ?

Easiest and quickest method to get measurements for comparison front to rear is to hook one end of tape measure to lowest point on wheel rim vertically to the highest point of the arches.

Front will be in the 10>20mm range more than the rear normally. If in the region of 30mm you are correct with your assumption.
Note! just a guide which I use as the basis for setting my air suspension.
Thank you for your explanation, did that and 66 cm at the back and 70 at the front.

View attachment 105087
@calibusje You can either have the red equal and define that as level or have the blue equal and define that as level. Upto you. Your van.
Thank you for your reply; For the view, I would like to see the wheel arches filled more evenly. I'm not sure if it's really necessary. The blue equal is almost the same front and back.

21D18BBB-A85E-481D-9A15-6B177C5BA748.jpeg
Why the brexit mentioning? I don’t understand, sorry.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply; For the view, I would like to see the wheel arches filled more evenly. I'm not sure if it's really necessary. The blue equal is almost the same front and back.

View attachment 105088
Why the brexit mentioning? I don’t understand, sorry.
So if you have the wheel to wheel arch distance equal you will be nose down and when travelling with 2 up in the front even more nose down.

Cali @the job ;)
View attachment 105089
So if I wanted to correct this I would have a nose down? If.
Correct, if you adjust the suspension ride height so the rear wheel arch panel sits at the same height as the front you would need to raise the rear or lower the front Of the vehicle, which will cause the vehicle to be nose down.
Rear wheel arch / body panel is lower than the front, (as designed by VW on all Transporter models T5 - T6.1)

The chassis / body panels are designed by VW to be like this, for whatever reason they chose, which gives an optical illusion that the rear of the van is lower than the front. (Saggy bum).
In reality the van is level when the cill is level, which from your previous post it appears to be, as in your photo above.

obviously loading the van with gear and people will have an effect on the level of the van as it would do on any other vehicle with added load.

Not sure if VW would honour a warranty claim for front suspension, steering components etc if it had modified away from the factory set up / geometry (causing the van to be nose down) therefore putting additional load on the factory components.
(obviously VW approved suspension mods such as lowering springs etc, which VW sell as dealer/ factory fit, would be acceptable under warranty claim, It’s a bit of a moot point and I guess one that would only be answered if you had such a claim ? )

plenty of people carry out the “mod“ to adjust the suspension to create a visual effect on the rear arch (perceived issue) some like it some do not.

it’s your van you do what you want to do. If you have concerns get the dealer to comment

Here is a good diagram taken from @WelshGas post in this thread

you can see from the dimension lines the rear arch panel is lower than the front (as intended)

2EC2E566-6AD3-4BCB-B700-9E3934E237A3.jpeg

Thanks you all for your effort (minus a few reactions). I'm not the OP and probably wouldn't change this. I've just noticed that it doesn't look right and had questions about the optical illusion it should be. So I wasn't really planning to change anything unless really necessary. Your arguments make sense but I still don’t think it looks good and I wonder how there are californias that don't have this and they are with many; modified then? Could be off course.
I also measured the following: distance from the bottom point of the rim edge to the fold in the bodywork (shown in yellow): 4 cm difference front and rear, front being higher. Is that line ascending to the front?
7D420AD7-EBA8-43DD-BB28-FFEDD9AE03A3.jpeg
Incidentally, it is very difficult in Belgium to get adjustments approved, so not really applicable to me, all that adjusting.

Thanks you all for your effort (minus a few reactions). I'm not the OP and probably wouldn't change this. I've just noticed that it doesn't look right and had questions about the optical illusion it should be. So I wasn't really planning to change anything unless really necessary. Your arguments make sense but I still don’t think it looks good and I wonder how there are californias that don't have this and they are with many; modified then? Could be off course.
I also measured the following: distance from the bottom point of the rim edge to the fold in the bodywork (shown in yellow): 4 cm difference front and rear, front being higher. Is that line ascending to the front?
View attachment 105096
Incidentally, it is very difficult in Belgium to get adjustments approved, so not really applicable to me, all that adjusting.
Measure with the Driver in place.
The vehicle is already partly loaded, you have a bike rack on the back.

Measure with the Driver in place.
The vehicle is already partly loaded, you have a bike rack on the back.
If I took it off, it wouldn't make any difference. They are van springs.
The diagram then: this is a fully loaded van (3 rows of people behind driver) and is then apparently level. So empty with the nose down then? But an aluminium bike rack would create already some sagging? Also I read that you wrote in another post that everything is done just that people can sleep with the head no higher than the feet. Is this information from Volkswagen itself or rather your idea about this (which is of course no problem). I prefer to sleep with my head higher than my feet.
I will take place a the wheel and let my wife measure but then I have to get ready so that we can start our holiday tomorrow. Measured enough :D

Last edited:
If I took it off, it wouldn't make any difference. They are van springs.
The diagram then: this is a fully loaded van 3 rows of people behind driver) and is then apparently level. So empty with the nose down then? But an aluminium bike rack would create already some sagging? Also I read that you wrote in another post that everything is done just that people can sleep with the head no higher than the feet. Is this information from Volkswagen itself or rather your idea about this. I prefer to sleep with my head higher than my feet.
I will take place a the wheel and let my wife measure but then I have to get ready so that we can start our holiday tomorrow.
The diagram Does Not show a fully loaded van full of people, it shows the seating position and angles of recline in the 3 seating areas.

Most people use a pillow if they want their head higher than their feet, when sleeping, not lowering the front suspension or highering the rear.

Personally I think you are spending too much time staring at your static California, instead of using it, but that’s your prerogative.

Is the floor level inside the Cali when loaded up? Surely that is what is most important at the end of the day and not the visual aesthetic.

The diagram Does Not show a fully loaded van full of people, it shows the seating position and angles of recline in the 3 seating areas.

Most people use a pillow if they want their head higher than their feet, when sleeping, not lowering the front suspension or highering the rear.

Personally I think you are spending too much time staring at your static California, instead of using it, but that’s your prerogative.
1676818564715.png
so if you say the wheel arch gaps are meant to be different how come on a T6 Transporter they look like this which has a greater gap at the rear than most California's ?

Is the floor level inside the Cali when loaded up? Surely that is what is most important at the end of the day and not the visual aesthetic.
OMG, sometimes you wish you didn’t bother to react… really?? I roughy it was NOT level hense all my reactions, questions and measurements.

OMG, sometimes you wish you didn’t bother to react… really?? I roughy it was NOT level hense all my reactions, questions and measurements.
In that case you definitely have something that needs addressing. You are not having much luck with that Coast, but it should be a fairly easy fix.

On the diagram it is clearly stated (also in English) that this is a loaded vehicle. That diagram proves nothing and fits into your story.
We both still have to work and travel as much as we can. So please keep your pedantic comment to yourself, will you?

View attachment 105101
so if you say the wheel arch gaps are meant to be different how come on a T6 Transporter they look like this which has a greater gap at the rear than most California's ?
Those wheel arches are different, front higher than rear.
Difficult to be accurate but the cill appears not to be horizontal to the ground.

It will depend if it is loaded.

Do people actually understand why the front wheel arch is cut higher than the rear?

It is cut higher to ensure a fully loaded Transporter panel van, even overloaded, under emergency braking when the front end dips is still capable of steering sharply to avoid a collision.

On the diagram it is clearly stated (also in English) that this is a loaded vehicle. That diagram proves nothing and fits into your story.
We both still have to work and travel as much as we can. So please keep your pedantic comment to yourself, will you?
In that case you should make your measurements with the vehicle ”fully “ loaded with a full compliment of luggage, passengers and fuel + water, or you can just use it as intended.

In that case you definitely have something that needs addressing. You are not having much luck with that Coast, but it should be a fairly easy fix.
I don’t think it’s just my van. Look around. A lot of them have a clear sagging at the back. I think rather by using other, cheaper springs or something than intended. That it would be an optical illusion is certainly also possible, but the diagram is not convincing enough for that. To measure is to know and I always have a difference of 4 cm, so the nose is higher. Will I do something about it? Probably not, because with us, changing the suspension, among other things, is asking for problems during the annual inspection. Visually it stands out and yes and I don't like it (more than one asked me if there is something wrong with it; I always respond that it is sagging because of the gold in the vault but that’s a lie: I don’t have a vault in it :D). My idea on this and just as the optical illusionists can have their opinion, I can have mine. They almost convinced me but being nasty and presuming that we don’t travel with it is rubbish. Over 17000 KMS in 10 months and most of them travels.
I wished you good luck with your cali and I mean it: it is not fun having a bucket of nails but the sagging is the least of my concerns. For me, the bus is ok now and tomorrow we’re heading to Wolfsburg.

Last edited:
In that case you should make your measurements with the vehicle ”fully “ loaded with a full compliment of luggage, passengers and fuel + water, or you can just use it as intended.
I did the measurements like people want me to do them. Conclusion: always about 4 cm higher at the front. Visual? Maybe. Was at work today and did the measurements. Placed input and trying to figure it out. Result: I should stop looking at it and use it as intended, according to someone. Not that friendly and I’m sorry it's went that way. It makes me think about posting or commenting here.. Maybe I'm too sensitive but that's the way it is. There are worse things in the world.
Anyway: I use my bus like intended: daily use and travels.
Now, has the OP become a little wiser or will people continue to try to convince me by insulting me, among other things? ;)

Last edited:
there is a special VW tool for checking chassis rake. It attaches to the chassis leg and displays and angle relative to true horizontal. Various angles relate to various vehicle options.

That’s an empty van.
An empty Ocean has as much weight in the back as a half loaded panel van.
Put the equivalent weight of the bench, kitchen etc etc in that panel van & it will sit the same as an empty ocean.
Load both a van and an ocean up to 100% of max load & they should sit the same slightly down at the back.

That’s an empty van.
An empty Ocean has as much weight in the back as a half loaded panel van.
Put the equivalent weight of the bench, kitchen etc etc in that panel van & it will sit the same as an empty ocean.
Load both a van and an ocean up to 100% of max load & they should sit the same slightly down at the back.
I agree and sounds logical. And I also read: … they should sit the same slightly down at the back. About 4 cm that is. Measuring is knowing. So same cutouts then and empty van = level. Weight in it (load or ocean/ coast furniture) = sagging at the back.
It looks not ok and they could have done something about it, my idea. Also: not all calis sag at the back. From day one I thought it was the california equipment that made it look like that: sagging at the back. Then I spot this treat of the OP and read the optical illusion reactions and wonder. Could this be so? Let’s measure and comment. Better not have done that! Anyway: the OP wants to change it, me not necessarily.

‘It's meant to be, they come straight from the factory like that, see this diagram, it's an optical illusion, the wheel arches are cut differently’: can be but why treat me like I'm a bit of a fool (but I don't hold a grudge against them). No, I can take another idea if the argumentation is convincing, but for me this all remains in a grey zone for now (and I will not measure anymore, done with that). Sorry if there are people who are saddened by my comments. I can only say: have a nice Sunday evening. Anyway, I will do it and explore a piece of Germany with our saggy coast tomorrow. After all, one should use a cali for what it is intended, right?

Last edited:
If you measure from the top of the wheel arch to the horizontal crease in the top half of the wing& door you can see the top of the front wheel arch is cut higher than the back.

If you measure from the top of the wheel arch to the horizontal crease in the top half of the wing& door you can see the top of the front wheel arch is cut higher than the back.
Ok, sounds plausible; this will be the last measurements I will make in this topic then ;)
I did measure from the bottom of the rim to that crease and the difference is 4cm…:Nailbiting So I'm curious.