Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

240v mains lead plugged in!!!

JohnGuppy

JohnGuppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
this morning I left early and drove away with my mains lead plugged in. No indication lucky I saw it in my mirror
This surely is not right all my other MH have indication and audio warning for the last 10 years Is there a cut out to stop starting the vehicle am I missing something

Previous threads on this. Some leave a reminder on the steering wheel or seat.

this morning I left early and drove away with my mains lead plugged in. No indication lucky I saw it in my mirror
This surely is not right all my other MH have indication and audio warning for the last 10 years Is there a cut out to stop starting the vehicle am I missing something
No. But if the lead is powered up then there should be an audible alarm from the Control Panel when the ignition is switched on.
If there wasn't, check you have mains power to the vehicle - Plug symbol on Control Panel. If you have the symbol and no warning with ignition On/Engine Start then you have a fault.

Mains to the vechile tryed a kettle and have 240v indication on Controlpanel is it a setting in the program

Mains to the vechile tryed a kettle and have 240v indication on Controlpanel is it a setting in the program
Don't know for the T6, but definitely no setting on the T5/5.1

I will call CS at vw you are correct it is not right if the T6 are like this it should be an immediate recall

Mine warns when the ignition is turned on but to be honest it sounds like many of the other buzzes and warnings so not obvious.

I made a call to VW CS this morning and was told if you drive away with it disconnected its not covered by the warranty and it is up to the owner to remove it !!!!!!
I have had motor homes over the past 20 years including my 2012 Auto trail you cannot even start the engine and an alarm flashes up mains lead connected
My Nissan leaf wont start and sounds an alarm and gives a message
My Toyota plug in Prius is the same
Why should VW be any difference or be allowed to get away with not making it a serious recall , if you did drive away you would pull the lead out of the plug and if it did not trip out inside the house a dog or child could be hurt on what you ave left behind
It should be made so it has a lock out to stop you even starting the engine , I don't think for one min this is the case but putting it to 2 VW service centre's they have not a clue on what I am talking about and after my conversation with CS nor do they
After paying as much for my T6 as my 28' motor home I would expect this to have been built in for the last 20 years to all vehicle's
Thanks for your comments Welsh Gas I will check out PS NO difference to the door open or handbrake on

Not really sure it's a recall issue? Checking the camper by walkaround before you leave is pretty common practise. I've never had or really seen a VW vana conversion with a failsafe warning system. Down to the owner really! You wouldn't drive away with the awning out.

There was a big topic on this a month or two ago.

Having said that, been there, done it myself in a big blue flash... ;)

Not really sure it's a recall issue? Checking the camper by walkaround before you leave is pretty common practise. I've never had or really seen a VW vana conversion with a failsafe warning system. Down to the owner really! You wouldn't drive away with the awning out.

There was a big topic on this a month or two ago.

Having said that, been there, done it myself in a big blue flash... ;)
Bet you have only done it once. ⚡️

Caravans have no warning systems. You are responsible for the final walk around to make sure you are safe to leave and have not left anything behind. We cannot rely on everything being done for us by some electronic gizmo.

unless one has a very long hookup cable or isn't planning on going far it's always best to remove before driving off .....

how old are you John ? maybe that could be the answer ....

This topic is going to come round and round again at intervals for evermore. But it seems very unlikely that VW, whatever their reasoning may be, is going to change the design (and certainly not re-work existing vehicles).

So the only option in the real world is to make sure you don't drive off with the lead connected. Like a lot of people I attach a tag to the steering wheel whenever I put the vehicle on hook-up.

Edit: I guess you could equally make a case for locking out the ignition whenever the fuel cap is open. People seem to drive off fairly regularly with hoses still attached, it seems. Never seen it myself except in a video, where the result was quite impressive.

Edit: Here's one:

Last edited:
Quality vid VD. Once again proof, you're never more than 20m from a moron

What does the manual says?

Edit: been looking a the manual came with my 2012 SE .(Can a T6 owner confirm this looking at his manual? )
Nothing in regarding driving off with cable in , only how to in- and unplug the 220v hook-up

So it's up to common sense then...?

The perfect verhicle that does everything for you , does not exists ....yet

Last edited:
perhaps your 20 years of MH ownership with auto non starting if plugged in has stopped you changing your "safe system" of work for your California departures.

you will find you wont get far if you leave your tank filler cap its part protected by the engine management systems covering fuel tank pressure
I am very happy with my T6 and not wish to change anything , my point is you should not be able to move the vehicle when it is plugged in , so why do they stick a sticker next to the key saying don't move with the hood up why not a sticker saying 240v plugged in , what it means is there is no warning should the hood be up that's another matter
The California is Reg as a Motor home not a van conversion therefore must comply with all build regulations does no mater if you are VW or joe blogs van builders

PS have been told you should have an audio alarm but please disregard the instruction book they are printed incorrectly

PS have been told you should have an audio alarm but please disregard the instruction book they are printed incorrectly

Now I am completely confused. Are you saying your paricular MY2017 vehicle in fact has no audible warning? If so it must surely be a fault because Loz says his T6 (a MY2016, admittedly) does have an audible warning.

And are you saying your manual explictly states that you have no audible warning? Or does it simply not mention one? (A completely different matter - there are many actual vehicle safety functions which aren't mentioned in the manual).

(I think we've established that there isn't and has never been a lock-out on any VW California, so hopefully we can get past that particular question).

Whats wrong with moving it whilst still plugged in? Ive adjusted the position of ours more than once whilst plugged in and the roof up - just moving it a bit further up the ramps to get level. Its a bit noisy with all the alarms going off.

you will find you wont get far if you leave your tank filler cap its part protected by the engine management systems covering fuel tank pressure
I am very happy with my T6 and not wish to change anything , my point is you should not be able to move the vehicle when it is plugged in , so why do they stick a sticker next to the key saying don't move with the hood up why not a sticker saying 240v plugged in , what it means is there is no warning should the hood be up that's another matter
The California is Reg as a Motor home not a van conversion therefore must comply with all build regulations does no mater if you are VW or joe blogs van builders

I cannot find any UK Motorhome Build regulation that requires an engine stop function if a Mains lead is plugged in. If you know of one then could you post a web link.
Cannot find anything for Caravans either.

Back