ACTIVE LANE ASSIST ON T6.1

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Has anyone ticked this option? What is your experience of it?

Thanks Loz,
His comment makes a lot of sense. It's probably just VW getting R&D done for future self drive vehicles, and not much use in current road conditions.

I could imagine it being a bit annoying.

Conversely, the Side Scan (ie. the flashing lights only on inside of wing mirror, not the active steering extra that Active Lane Assist provide some) is helpful and reassuring for the blind spots, particularly for long multi-lane motorway drives. Side Scan was fairly expensive option (£600 I believe), but is now standard on the T6.1 Ocean.

Yes it’s on the 6.1 Ocean I am waiting for. If it’s too annoying, can it be disabled in settings I wonder?

Yes it’s on the 6.1 Ocean I am waiting for. If it’s too annoying, can it be disabled in settings I wonder?
You can disable the Side Scan with the press of a button in our T5.1, or via the Multi Function Display menu. I would expect the same for Active Lane Assist, but perhaps someone with it on a T6.1 can confirm.

Will be a Legal Requirement on new EU vehicles from ? 2022.

The most annoying part of active lane assist is when you have both hands on the steering wheel and you get a message telling you to take control of the steering. I did think this would be a good safety feature but I'm not convinced yet.

I have this on our Passat GTE and it’s fabulous on motorways, but other than that it’s not much use and rather annoying - it’s easy to turn on/off via a shortcut button configured on one of the stalks. After 3 years using it I’m not going to tick that option on the upcoming Cali.
As someone mentioned earlier, it tends to “tug” the steering wheel sometimes, occasionally even dangerously so. It follows the white lines and if one verges off (at a junction/slip road) it will try and follow that. Definitely not recommended in my opinion.
ACC though is awesome. I’d pay extra for that for sure, so it’s a nice bonus that it’s included.

The most annoying part of active lane assist is when you have both hands on the steering wheel and you get a message telling you to take control of the steering. I did think this would be a good safety feature but I'm not convinced yet.
Should only do that if you aren’t holding the wheel for 15 seconds. I’ve noticed if you’re only holding it lightly it can sometimes do that though.
I wouldn’t class active lane assist as a safety feature at all. It’s just a convenient (occasionally) feature.

Yes you can. Well you can on our 67 plate Passat so should be similar. If you can’t I wouldn’t touch that option with a barge pole. Definitely needs the ability to disable it.

A guy on the T6F has it and his opinion was "annoying", and like a small child constantly tugging on your arm. :)
I have heard the same neighbour with that option, he hates it as if he needs to go near the line to pass the car it pulls him back.

I have heard the same neighbour with that option, he hates it as if he needs to go near the line to pass the car it pulls him back.
You need to indicate before changing lane and then not a problem.

We have the thing that flashes in the mirror when someone is in your blind spot. We would definitely want this again if we were buying another Cali. It saved me from pulling out when a really fast motorcyclist was overtaking us on the motorway.

I also have the side scan and it’s saved me a couple of times.

the only downside is it doesn’t work if you have something attached to the tow bar (a bike rack in my case). I understand why it doesn’t work, but I do miss it.

A guy on the T6F has it and his opinion was "annoying", and like a small child constantly tugging on your arm. :)

Wrestled with it on the Skoda today, straddEd the lines in roadworks and it was trying to pull it back :)

I have noticed that if you indicate your lane change it doesn’t activate. MSMM. ;-)

I think once we have fully automated cars that are ”trustworthy“ it will be fine, boring but fine. It’s this half and half situation that is going to be a problem. All these “driver assist” features still require the driver to be monitoring and if required take control instantly the car decides it can’t cope. Bit like being the instructor in dual control car.

Lane assist inputs imo can feel very similar to steering wheel feedback from icy roads; in cold conditions this can very confusing.

I find the lane assist on my Ocean quite subtle compared to on my Tiguan. The Tiguan almost steers for you but on the Ocean I hardly notice it unless it gets near the lane markers.

I find the lane assist on my Ocean quite subtle compared to on my Tiguan. The Tiguan almost steers for you but on the Ocean I hardly notice it unless it gets near the lane markers.
That's interesting. On our Passat GTE it definitely steers for you. Dangerously so sometimes, especially if the white line veers off to the side for whatever reason. The car wants to follow that, not the road o_O

Back