Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - where are fellow T6 owners getting topped up

Actually thinking about this, if every post I read on this forum saved me £3 I'd be a rich man.
Fair enough.
The adblue top up warning has just come up on my crafter today (after 5000 miles) so this thread is of interest to me as it'll be the first time I'll have done it and haven't bought any before.
I'll have to check my local service stations as I don't know if any if them have adblue pumps.
I was just going to get some from Halfords or Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don’t think anybody is quibbling, just contributing to the community. If I relied on the supplier dealer for info I wouldn’t even know I had adblue.
This is my first top up in 6000 miles. It seems it’s a trade off between buying at the hgv pump with varying degrees of hassle or adding a huge polypropylene container and tube to the recycling bin and hoping it doesn’t get sent to landfill. I’m not sure why there isn’t a adblue bulk facility on ‘our’ side of most petrol stations.

Don't rise to it

Although you may be tempted, it is not advisable to pee in your adblue tank to top it up. Human urine is approx 9% urea and is insufficiently pure where as Adblue (DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is 34% Urea and is stabilised with distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learnt something interesting - AdBlue is the registered trade name of the German Association of the Automotive Industry - Verband der Automobilindustrie e. V. (VDA) and may only be used under a VDA official
license agreement. Strikes me that they wouldn't agree to let anything be called AdBlue that didn't meet quality standards. So the stuff I have just put in my tank ordered from Amazon will probably be OK

That said I will be visiting the HGV forecourt of my local services next time I need to fill up ...

Just refilled with AdBlue, first time in the UK. 72p per litre: ESSO, 474 Princes Rd, Dartford DA1 1YT; just off junction 1b of the M25 (except it isn't the M25 there it's the A282).

questions re +blue pump still not seen one locally. Still, a pump virgin
  • do they show as gallons on pump as on van or in litres.
  • do the pumps auto cut off when tank full
  • how fast does the flow feel when filling
  • is overfill and spillage likley

questions re +blue pump still not seen one locally. Still, a pump virgin
  • do they show as gallons on pump as on van or in litres.
  • do the pumps auto cut off when tank full
  • how fast does the flow feel when filling
  • is overfill and spillage likley

I’ve not seen one yet either.
But good questions above, hadn’t really thought about some of them.

1st time I haves added Adblock I used M25 Clackton Lane services in lorry pump section. Have to go in & ask them to turn pump on.

Litres, flow rate is fine, auto cut off when full, overfilling did not seem likely.

1st time I haves added Adblock I used M25 Clackton Lane services in lorry pump section. Have to go in & ask them to turn pump on.

Litres, flow rate is fine, auto cut off when full, overfilling did not seem likely.

Thanks for that.

The VW assist chap said there was a pump at Winchester at the Shell Garage opposite Tesco's so may give it a go next time.

Thanks for that.

The VW assist chap said there was a pump at Winchester at the Shell Garage opposite Tesco's so may give it a go next time.
Shell appear to be having a program of installing Adblue pumps at all their larger sites. Usually beside the HGV Diesel pumps.

Just popped my Ad Blue Cherry.
The warning light came on at 1400 miles. At 1300miles I got sick of the warning beep on start-up, so decided it was time to top up.
Computer said 1.5min - 2 gallons max.
I calculated that was roughly 10 litres.

I bought a 10 litre can from Halfords with pouring spout £11.
Stuck the entire 10 litres in. Turned the key one click for 1min and then started the engine.

Warning cleared, range back up at 5500 miles.
Nothing to it really, no harder than screenwash.
Will look out for a pump next time, as I’ve read the Cali has the magnets required for the commercial pumps to work. I did a search and didn’t see any local to me, but do pass one regular on my travels.

Another source of decent but not overpriced AdBlu are commercial and agricultural machinery dealers (tractors need it!) I get it through local agricultural dealers at decent price compared to garages. Also noticed that in Europe there are significantly more garages selling it via a pump.

I thought that this was a very interesting thread on Adblue that some Cali owners may have missed.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sigh-another-warning-light.27803/ It details the potential expensive risk of accidentally overfilling with Adblue and that this may well not be covered by the warranty. The auto cut off switch on the fuel pumps is often more than the tank needs. On the MFD the Adblue warning gives details of the amount that is required. Worth a read.

Our local petrol station has the Adblue pump next to the diesel which is quite handy, we top up when required. I've never bought in the plastic bottles and tried to fill using a tube or device.

Czy ktoś wie, jaka pojemność zbiornika AdBlue znajduje się w VW T6 204 PS roku 2018? Nie mogę znaleźć takich informacji?

Well ... nobody knows for sure. Besides, I do not know how much I currently have in the tank and I'm afraid to overdo it ?!

Hi All.

Info helpful for Adblue please our California is showing 3500 miles to refill but is not showing The Amount needed to refill, is there a minimum amount needed to show before the extra display is shown under the distance display on the Mfd.
Still got some distance to cover before I need to worry, have played with steering wheel controls but no joy as yet.

Alan.

I just look around for when it is on offer, then buy it and store it in the garage for when required. I bought 10 litres at EuroCarParts for £8.90 last year, I refilled before Christmas so needed some more in my garage. Then I saw it on offer in Aldi £5 (reduced from £6) for 6 litres. So I bought 2 lots.
Each time it comes in a plastic container with it's own filling nozzle.

Hi All.

Info helpful for Adblue please our California is showing 3500 miles to refill but is not showing The Amount needed to refill, is there a minimum amount needed to show before the extra display is shown under the distance display on the Mfd.
Still got some distance to cover before I need to worry, have played with steering wheel controls but no joy as yet.

Alan.
You are probably still above the minimum refill amount in that case.

Back