Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - where are fellow T6 owners getting topped up

Considering that "bluemotion" and similar ad blue reliant technology has been around for 7 years, provision for fillies is still woefully inadequate. I had a 2011 VW Sharan, the ad blue filler was inside a hatch and spilling of the liquid would have damaged the interior. Foolishly, I went to the local VW car dealer for a top up - 15 minutes work, bill for £89 for liquid and labour.

I was advised not to try to top up myself as the holding tank was pressurised, requiring technology only available in VW workshops. As I had already topped up previously with bottle and funnel, this advice was ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The conversation was a lot longer than that. I pointed out that Shell was treating some customers unfairly, but this didn't get through the H&S script she was sticking to. The price difference is not justified and she did not try to defend that, merely stating that AdBlue Pumps for cars may be available in the future.
My gut feeling is that Shell franchisees are within their rights to restrict pumps to HGVs only. A fuel station can perfectly legally restrict fuel pumps to HGVs only or cars only, so why not Adblue? I would not have though that having an HGV Adblue pump would make it a requirement to have a car Adblue pump. It is a red herring to consider bottled and pump Adblue as the same product, a similar principle is a pub charging nothing for tap water and £4.25/Litre for bottled water: tap water and bottled water are different products.

My gut feeling is that Shell franchisees are within their rights to restrict pumps to HGVs only. A fuel station can perfectly legally restrict fuel pumps to HGVs only or cars only, so why not Adblue? I would not have though that having an HGV Adblue pump would make it a requirement to have a car Adblue pump. It is a red herring to consider bottled and pump Adblue as the same product, a similar principle is a pub charging nothing for tap water and £4.25/Litre for bottled water: tap water and bottled water are different products.
Of course you right in every aspect, but the spirit of the topic is "Should they?" and using the power of peer pressure and social media etc. to make them change their ways.

Of course you right in every aspect, but the spirit of the topic is "Should they?" and using the power of peer pressure and social media etc. to make them change their ways.

I don't imagine Shell will give "a you know what" about the awful situation which us Cali owners find ourselves in;)

Today, with only 900miles range remaining on my AdBlue tank I thought I'd better test out the local Shell forecourt following the messages on this thread. I made my way to the Shell forecourt where I'd last filled up a few months ago, at Barthomley, J16 of the M6. No luck here as the pump was out of order.... Quick check of findadblue.com and I see the next Shell station is at Talke (SoT) on the A500 just a few miles away. Pulled in there, no signs saying HGV's only that i could see. I filled up with 11litres of Adblue and went off to pay. The only comment the young cashier made was "that was a lot of Adblue", and I asked him what he meant - he said he was more used to cars filling up with just a few litres.
As a result, my only conclusion is that Shell must be applying any new policy in a non consistent manner. Thats me done for at least the next 4500miles :)

Today, with only 900miles range remaining on my AdBlue tank I thought I'd better test out the local Shell forecourt following the messages on this thread. I made my way to the Shell forecourt where I'd last filled up a few months ago, at Barthomley, J16 of the M6. No luck here as the pump was out of order.... Quick check of findadblue.com and I see the next Shell station is at Talke (SoT) on the A500 just a few miles away. Pulled in there, no signs saying HGV's only that i could see. I filled up with 11litres of Adblue and went off to pay. The only comment the young cashier made was "that was a lot of Adblue", and I asked him what he meant - he said he was more used to cars filling up with just a few litres.
As a result, my only conclusion is that Shell must be applying any new policy in a non consistent manner. Thats me done for at least the next 4500miles :)
Thank you for this.
Clearly it depends on who is in the kiosk as that was the same service station, Talke, that wouldn't let me fill up.
I called there 10am Monday, three staff on duty, perhaps I need to try a different time. Or Perhaps we go ene masse!

Don't get that argument, sorry.
Tap water and Bottled water are different because they come from different sources and the manufacturers of Bottled Water make certain claims for their product over Tap Water, whether you believe their claims or not.
Adblue is exactly the same from pump or bottle and probably from the same source, just the packaging is different.
Now if the Pump works at a high flow rate, or a minimum quantity of 20L or more then there is a valid reason of restricting it to HGV's only.:thumb

Tap water and Bottled water are different because they come from different sources and the manufacturers of Bottled Water make certain claims for their product over Tap Water, whether you believe their claims or not.
Adblue is exactly the same from pump or bottle and probably from the same source, just the packaging is different.
Now if the Pump works at a high flow rate, or a minimum quantity of 20L or more then there is a valid reason of restricting it to HGV's only.:thumb
Has an interesting conversation with an engineer today who has spent several months researching and testing the delivery of AdBlue to an iconic British diesel powered brand of motor vehicle. He assured me that all AdBlue pumps deliver at the same rate, one that is lower than that quoted to me be Shell, and that they are approved for all vehicles.
Interesting...

Has an interesting conversation with an engineer today who has spent several months researching and testing the delivery of AdBlue to an iconic British diesel powered brand of motor vehicle. He assured me that all AdBlue pumps deliver at the same rate, one that is lower than that quoted to me be Shell, and that they are approved for all vehicles.
Interesting...

Certainly when I used the HGV pump it took a while to dispense, so that makes sense.

Not to mention that licenced premises, which most restaurants are, are prevented, by law, from charging for two water.

Perhaps water was a poor example. How about draft Guinness and bottled Guinness being charged at different rates per litre. I'd happily argue that their packaging makes them different products.

Perhaps water was a poor example. How about draft Guinness and bottled Guinness being charged at different rates per litre. I'd happily argue that their packaging makes them different products.
Don't disagree that they would be differently priced, but if a pub had bottles or draught you should have the freedom to choose which to buy.
If the licensee refused to serve some customers the draught, offering them the more expensive bottles only to those customers, then that would replicate the AdBlue situation.

The tap water analogy is the right one. Tap water is free by the gallon but you, sir, only want a pint, so you have to buy this bottle at £4.25. Not right is it?

Don't disagree that they would be differently priced, but if a pub had bottles or draught you should have the freedom to choose which to buy.
If the licensee refused to serve some customers the draught, offering them the more expensive bottles only to those customers, then that would replicate the AdBlue situation.
I wonder if there is a situation where a publican could restrict draft Guinness to a particular consumer, for example only to miners and other workers at a local colliery. I would have thought it would be legally acceptable.

The findadblue.com site doesn't seem to be that accurate. It said there was on around Boroughbridge, looked and it does not exist. I then went to a local garage that FAB said had Adblue pumps, it didn't but they did do 10L for 12.99.

A BMW owner yesterday said to me this week his dealer was filling up his car with Adblue for free for life of the car and Audi same, not sure about that and no mention by VW...I'll find out more today.

Not heard of that. But tbh for the sake of a can of AdBlu every now and again its not worth an extra trip to the dealer for me. And I know some have much longer round trips than me.

Not heard of that. But tbh for the sake of a can of AdBlu every now and again its not worth an extra trip to the dealer for me. And I know some have much longer round trips than me.
I would like to see the small print of the statement.

I have seen something from VW passenger dealership network saying the same thing - free adblue top up. When I asked the commercial dealership they quoted approx £17 labour charge plus adblue to fill up. I cheekily took the van in to the passenger dealership and I was going to have to leave the van while they made enquirers. Needless to say I didn't.

Does the free top occur during a service like a free washer bottle top up? or does it mean they will fill up without any labour charge?

I pay £0.46p/litre at Thompsons commercial. It isnt even worth their while putting the transaction for 10ltrs through so I pay for 2 fillups when I go back for a 2nd.

I would like to see the small print of the statement.

I have seen something from VW passenger dealership network saying the same thing - free adblue top up. When I asked the commercial dealership they quoted approx £17 labour charge plus adblue to fill up. I cheekily took the van in to the passenger dealership and I was going to have to leave the van while they made enquirers. Needless to say I didn't.

Does the free top occur during a service like a free washer bottle top up? or does it mean they will fill up without any labour charge?

I pay £0.46p/litre at Thompsons commercial. It isnt even worth their while putting the transaction for 10ltrs through so I pay for 2 fillups when I go back for a 2nd.

JohnnyP you live around my area, where is Thompsons? Cheapest I've seen was 0.69 p/ltr from around Morpeth way.

Hi Teejay, they are on Wesley Way in an industrial estate near Palmersville Metro
upload_2017-5-12_13-52-39.png

Hi Teejay, they are on Wesley Way in an industrial estate near Palmersville Metro
View attachment 21541

@JohnnyP, Just wanted to thank you again. Dropped by yesterday and put £5.16 in was let off the .16 ;-). Think it was 43 pence per litre. Might be worth other people checking their local HGV sales and servicing places.

.me..

@JohnnyP, Just wanted to thank you again. Dropped by yesterday and put £5.16 in was let off the .16 ;-). Think it was 43 pence per litre. Might be worth other people checking their local HGV sales and servicing places.

.me..
Your welcome Teejay

Back