Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice needed with extras ?

Dippa

Dippa

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I'm new to the forum so thanks for letting me join and apologies for all the questions!

I'm looking at buying a Cali Ocean 2021 but struggling to decide on the extras if anyone can share their views.
  • Driver assistance package plus
  • Navigation system media pro
  • Heated front windscreen
  • Wooden floor and plastic lining
  • Outdoor shower
  • Direct tyre pressure monitoring
  • ArtVelours
Is it best to have 17" or 18" wheels ?
I've considered the Sports pack but unsure with not being able to have mud flaps or 2 tone paint ?
Can you only have a rear view camera with Trailer assist ? and why can't you have the 80L tank with 4 motion ?
Is it worth having it lowered 30mm also ?

Any advice appreciated :)

I'm new to the forum so thanks for letting me join and apologies for all the questions!

I'm looking at buying a Cali Ocean 2021 but struggling to decide on the extras if anyone can share their views.
  • Outdoor shower
  • ArtVelours
I've considered the Sports pack but unsure with not being able to have mud flaps or 2 tone paint ?
Can you only have a rear view camera with Trailer assist ? and why can't you have the 80L tank with 4 motion ?

Don’t forget if you are thinking about getting the electrically operated seats you won’t be able to turn them round which is most important.

Hey Ozzy, what option is the electrical operated seats ? I don't think they're in the list I listed above ?

• Outdoor shower
  • ArtVelours

Questions to help answer your questions...

- what are you mainly using the van for?
- what vehicles have you been used to, and/or also use?
- budget constraints?

OK at the risk of starting a riot on here, why an Ocean? My Coast is due any day. I looked at the difference in options and cost and thought why pay more than you have to. I don't know about you but after 45 years of driving I've mainly kept to my lane and haven't often driven into things. Why are you paying for stuff you don't need?

Hey two-saabs.

The vehicle will be used for trips around the UK and Europe with my Mrs. I usually wild camp in a hammock but will be using the cali for wild and campsites.

I drive a van everyday for work and have been driving a range of vehicles for years.

My budget is 70k give or take, but happy to put more to get the van I want

OK at the risk of starting a riot on here, why an Ocean? My Coast is due any day. I looked at the difference in options and cost and thought why pay more than you have to. I don't know about you but after 45 years of driving I've mainly kept to my lane and haven't often driven into things. Why are you paying for stuff you don't need?
I've looked at the Coast but feel the Ocean ticks more boxes for me. Plus I want the 204ps engine

Rear camera is standard.

Doubtful you’ll need the front heated screen, not with the parking heater.

Rear camera is standard.

Doubtful you’ll need the front heated screen, not with the parking heater.
Ah I didn't realise! brill I can remove that tailgate option then. Cheers :)

• Outdoor shower
  • ArtVelours
Hi Dippa
I’m waiting for my Ocean to be delivered, my thoughts are
- driver assistance will make long distances a breeze. I went for it.
- nav pro finishes the dash off with a bigger screen that fills the space, but that’s it. I went for it.
- I thought I’d rarely use the heated screen. Some have said it doesn’t work well, and you can achieve the same effect with the parking heater. I didn’t go for it.
- wood floor looks good and cleans better than the standard. Ticked.
- shower good for cleaning boots, bikes and dogs, and rinsing off after sea swims. Ticked.
- I don’t see the need for individual tyre pressure warning, standard will do. Not ticked.
- Art Velours looks and cleans well. I wish I’d ticked it, but it is expensive. Can get great seat covers for less money and still have the standard material beneath.
I understand the 80L tank puts the 204ps overweight. I drove both engines and plumped for 150 for the better fuel economy and feeling it doesn’t need more power. The suspension setup is wallowy though, and many upgrade their shocks and springs aftermarket. I went back after ordering and added the Dynamic Chassis Control - a button on the dash that allows you to firm up the ride for windey roads, and soften it for motorways or crashing through town potholes. I haven’t driven a DCC van but there are a few good reviews on here and I hope it will save the need for a suspension upgrade. A 204ps might improve the case for DCC further?

Hi Dippa
- nav pro finishes the dash off with a bigger screen that fills the space, but that’s it. I went for it.
- I thought I’d rarely use the heated screen. Some have said it doesn’t work well, and you can achieve the same effect with the parking heater. I didn’t go for it.
- shower good for cleaning boots, bikes and dogs, and rinsing off after sea swims. Ticked.
- I don’t see the need for individual tyre pressure warning, standard will do. Not ticked.
- Art Velours looks and cleans well. I wish I’d ticked it, but it is expensive. Can get great seat covers for less money and still have the standard material beneath.
I understand the 80L tank puts the 204ps overweight. I drove both engines and plumped for 150 for the better fuel economy and feeling it doesn’t need more power. The suspension setup is wallowy though, and many upgrade their shocks and springs aftermarket. I went back after ordering and added the Dynamic Chassis Control - a button on the dash that allows you to firm up the ride for windey roads, and soften it for motorways or crashing through town potholes. I haven’t driven a DCC van but there are a few good reviews on here and I hope it will save the need for a suspension upgrade. A 204ps might improve the case for DCC further?
Brill just what I was looking for. Thank you!

I didn't realise the 80L with the 204ps overweight tbh.

I didn't even consider DCC but will defo look into it.

Hi Dippa
Think you have all your answers here!

Agree why pay for more than you need, but there are many other differences, to be helpful we should compare fairly

Hey two-saabs.

The vehicle will be used for trips around the UK and Europe with my Mrs. I usually wild camp in a hammock but will be using the cali for wild and campsites.

I drive a van everyday for work and have been driving a range of vehicles for years.

My budget is 70k give or take, but happy to put more to get the van I want
For 17s vs 18s, there's no "best", one has more rubber, one has more alloy... Generally they'll be fairly similar, 17s have more rubber which usually translates to a compfier ride, and 18s usually look a bit better.

I've gone for 17s because they look good enough, have good handling, hopefully more soft ride (so don't need to change the suspension), and they're included as standard, so I can use that cash for another option or actual trip costs

Not quite. Unsure if the 17" wheels are better than the 18" and is the sports pack worth it ?
Just realized :) see next post... I'm not the one to advise on sports pack as I don't see the point trying to make a van "handle like a car", when it's a van!

Not quite. Unsure if the 17" wheels are better than the 18" and is the sports pack worth it ?
17’s will have a better ride, but those black Springfields in the sports pack sucked me in. The upgraded laminated cab glass with it might be worth having too. I liked the look of the other black bits too and went for it!
Bay leaf green 2 tone looks great, but I think BLG with sports pack would top it. Love Ascot grey though personally - stealthy with the black and is recessive in the countryside

17’s will have a better ride, but those black Springfields in the sports pack sucked me in. The upgraded laminated cab glass with it might be worth having too. I liked the look of the other black bits too and went for it!
Bay leaf green 2 tone looks great, but I think BLG with sports pack would top it. Love Ascot grey though personally - stealthy with the black and is recessive in the countryside
+1 for the upgraded windows

For 17s vs 18s, there's no "best", one has more rubber, one has more alloy... Generally they'll be fairly similar, 17s have more rubber which usually translates to a compfier ride, and 18s usually look a bit better.

I've gone for 17s because they look good enough, have good handling, hopefully more soft ride (so don't need to change the suspension), and they're included as standard, so I can use that cash for another option or actual trip costs
Thanks Two-saabs! I was leaning towards the 17" for all the reasons you mentioned and the fact they are the most common size for new tyres.

The sports pack replaces the 17" for 18" wheel, hence why I was seeing if it'd worth it. I think I'll keep it standard and stay with the 17" :)

Just realized :) see next post... I'm not the one to advise on sports pack as I don't see the point trying to make a van "handle like a car", when it's a van!
For me it’s a powerful 3 tonne vehicle that needs some help to be more satisfying to drive. I’m upgrading the ARBs too. Vans don’t have to handle poorly, and I’ll be covering many miles in it - motorways to mountain hairpins- it’ll never handle like a car but why not improve it?

The 18” wheels ride better than the 17” as they run at lower pressures. The extra width helps with more grip & less wheel spin.

I didn’t bother with the wood floor as I wanted a carpet over the top anyway.

Direct tyre pressure monitoring is just something else to go wrong, you get the warning about a flat with just the basic system.

As to why go for an ocean, by the time you spec the nice bits on a coast to bring it to a similar spec ie digital dash, 17” chassis heated seats, tinted glass etc etc there’s naff all price difference and you still won’t have things like the double glazing.

I agree the Springfields do look the part! The main reason for wanting the Sports pack was for the laminated cab glass, but believe it can be upgraded with the Z2C option

I'd love the sports pack with BLG but they don't allow 2 tone colours with sports pack

I've looked at the Coast but feel the Ocean ticks more boxes for me. Plus I want the 204ps engine
Each to their own but if I was going drag racing I don't think I'd choose a California. If I look at my trip computer on my golf my average speed in rural Norfolk is about 30mph. Do you really need extra power?

Back