Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice needed with extras ?

For me it’s a powerful 3 tonne vehicle that needs some help to be more satisfying to drive. I’m upgrading the ARBs too. Vans don’t have to handle poorly, and I’ll be covering many miles in it - motorways to mountain hairpins- it’ll never handle like a car but why not improve it?
I don't think it handles poorly on the standard setup, it's why I ask about which vehicles people are used to, it's all about the benchmarks.

Usually "upgraded" suspension means stiffer springs which:

- give a harder ride (some say better, I say harder)
- cost more to add
- often have a shorter lifespan

Even in sports cars, I've switched back from sports suspension to standard suspension, right now I drive a Volvo (with adaptable suspension, but keep it comfort mode) and now I'm ordering a California... clearly I'm a cruiser not a racing driver and biased to my own leisurely driving style :)

Plus one for the flooring upgrade. It is actually a ply liner with the yacht style vinyl over the top. Coast owners here, so ours is the oak colour, rather than the Ocean grey. But in my opinion both give a wow factor uplift to the interior and offers an easy wipeable surface as others have said.

Does the laminated cab glass make the w
Each to their own but if I was going drag racing I don't think I'd choose a California. If I look at my trip computer on my golf my average speed in rural Norfolk is about 30mph. Do you really need extra power?
I don't think anyone is going drag racing with a California tbh. I see the extra power a benefit that can be used when needed. Like you say, each to their own.

There's plenty other reasons why the Ocean is better suited for me

I agree the Springfields do look the part! The main reason for wanting the Sports pack was for the laminated cab glass, but believe it can be upgraded with the Z2C option

I'd love the sports pack with BLG but they don't allow 2 tone colours with sports pack
It sounds like you're pulled towards the sports pack, if that's the case you could get that, and go with a single colour e.g. white or silver, then use the saved money on the paint to wrap the bottom... then you get it all :thumb

150 not 200 also saves a chunk of cash

It sounds like you're pulled towards the sports pack, if that's the case you could get that, and go with a single colour e.g. white or silver, then use the saved money on the paint to wrap the bottom... then you get it all :thumb

150 not 200 also saves a chunk of cash
Are you getting some answers @Dippa ? Making things easier?

I thought I'd post my full spec, I'm in Switzerland where the specs are bit different, and this is a direct translation from German, so ignore any obvious differences or strangely worded sentences.

Still, reason for posting is to be fully transparent on what I have chosen, it might help you, or its just a read on a rainy Sunday evening :)

I'm going from my current car which is a fully loaded Volvo XC60, which I spent way too much and vowed not to do the same again in the future. Buuuuut I don't want to be tight and have a not-quite-right car, considering the cheddar being spent, and this will be the daily driver everything all the time vehicle, that we plan on keeping for a long time.

Over the years there's been some pretty nice cars around, and even at the beginning of the year was looking at a 911, but as cool as all of that is, it's not what we want and need, and not the memory-maker that we are looking forward to the Cali being.

(Thankfully it's not a Beach Vs Ocean discussion so that's a lot of time saved!)

** MAIN VEHICLE **
  • Brand: Type VW Commercial Vehicles / California 6.1 Beach Edition Spirit
  • Color: Interior candy white (LB9A) / Art Velours Palladium black
  • Engine: PS / ccm 2000ccm 150PS / 110kW 4 cylinder TDI Common Rail EU6 SCR Diesel
  • Transmission: 7-speed automatic DSG front-wheel drive
** STANDARD FEATURES **

[1G8] Tire sealant and 12 volt compressor
[5K6] Transport protection measures normal roof
[7X2] Ultrasonic parking aid front and rear
[8T6] Cruise control system including speed limiter
[EJ1] Extension guarantee 2 + 1 100,000 km
[PKO] Comfort control panel incl. Climatronic, decorative. Brushed gray / titanium black-palladium and blackout blind front window
[QL5] Dark colored windows in the passenger compartment
[R27] We Connect Plus 3 years
[WVK] Special model California Edition Liberty
[WVU] Special model Beach Edition Spirit
[X] ESP, electronic stability program
[X] Leather multifunction steering wheel with controls for radio and telephone
[X] Central locking with radio remote control
[X] Heated rear window
[X] Airbag for driver and front passenger
[X] App-Connect
[X] Electric windows
[X] Electronic immobilizer
[X] ISOFIX child seat anchorages at the rear
[X] Diesel particulate filter
[X] Tire Mobility Set (tire sealant and 12 volt compressor)
[X] Tire pressure control display
[X] Engine start-stop system with braking energy recovery
[X] Bed extension with cushion at the back
[X] Side and head airbags for driver and front passenger
[X] 6 speakers
[X] Crosswind Assistant
[X] sliding door on the right
[X] Electromechanical power steering
[X] 2 swivel seats in the driver's cab
[X] 2 folding chairs in the tailgate trim
[X] Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors
[X] Hill Start Assist
[X] awning rail black
[X] Multipurpose table in the sliding door panel
[X] All-round darkening of the sleeping area
[X] Deep Black mirror housings and body-colored door handles
[X] Slidable 2-seater bench / bench
[X] 12 volt socket
[X] Multi-collision brake
[X] DAB +
[X] LED main headlights with LED daytime running lights
[X] mini kitchen
[X] Interior lighting concept Camper including lighting in the pop-up roof and tailgate
[X] "Climatronic" air conditioning system with air vents at the front and rear
[X] 70 liter fuel tank
[X] Indoor lights and reading lights
[X] Manual pop-up roof
[X] Fog lights with cornering lights
[X] Double bed with spring plates on top
[X] Preparation for roof rack (C-rails)
[X] Camper approval
[X] Sliding window in the front left passenger compartment
[X] 1st additional battery 75 Ah
[Z0C] 4 aluminum rims "Aracaju" black, high-sheen 7 J x 17
[Z4A] Light & vision package
[Z6B] Beach Edition package
[ZEO] "Premium" multifunctional display with multicolored display and drowsiness detection
[ZIE] Radio navigation device "Discover Media" 6 loudspeakers, 8 "touchscreen, 2 USB interfaces (type C), streaming & Internet
[ZZX] NOTE: Listed standard equipment can be omitted due to selected additional equipment!

** OPTIONAL EXTRAS **

Exterior color

[B4A1] Candy white (LB9A) 275.00

Interior

[GV] ArtVelours Palladium-Black 0.00

Outside

[1D2] Hitch, detachable and lockable (including trailer stabilization) 1'040.00
[3RJ] Servo closing tailgate 175.00
[4FJ] Sliding window with fly screen at the front and fixed window at the rear in the loading / passenger area on the left 90.00
[4JJ] Sliding window with fly screen at the front and fixed window at the rear in the loading / passenger area on the right 370.00
[5R7] Servo locking sliding door right 175.00
[7B5] 230 volt charging connection with battery charging function and 230V internal socket 835.00
[8W4] heated windscreen washer nozzles at the front and washer water level indicator 80.00
[JI3] Electro-hydraulic pop-up roof and mosquito net in the bellows at the front with front opening Basalt Gray 2,390.00
[NF1] awning, 2.5 meters black 685.00
[Z2A] Insulating glass with improved exterior noise insulation and darkened panes in the passenger compartment, sliding window normal glass darkened 460.00

Chassis / wheels

[1G2] Spare wheel with steel rim 110.00
[2E4] 17 "chassis with 17" brake system 180.00

Inside

[0F5] Fuel tank with 80 l tank volume 85.00
[9M4] Air auxiliary heating and water auxiliary heating, programmable, with radio remote control 2,790.00
[KA1] Reversing camera "Rear View" 330.00
[PKP] Comfort switch panel incl. Climatronic, decoration. Brushed gray / titanium black and blackout blind front window 0.00
[QR9] Traffic sign recognition 315.00
[ZEQ] Digital cockpit and drowsiness detection 530.00
[EM1] Drowsiness detection 0.00

Seats

[N3R] Art Velor seat covers 1'415.00
[ZNO] Electric seat adjustment for driver's seat with memory function (not rotatable) 1'545.00
[ZV3] 3-seater bench in the passenger area including multiflex board and 3 drawers 0.00
[3U1] Comfort sleeping pad for bench 420.00

Security

[7X5] Parking assistant 235.00
[8G1] "Light Assist" (high beam control) 180.00
[PAC] Automatic distance control ACC up to 210 km / h including speed control system 960.00
[8T7] Automatic distance control ACC 0.00
[6K4] "Front Assist" environment monitoring system with City emergency braking function for automatic distance control up to 210 km / h 0.00
[Z0X] "Side Assist" lane change assistant incl. "Lane Assist" lane departure warning system 830.00
[X] Lane Assist "Lane Assist" and "Side Assist" lane change assistant 0.00
[X] Parking assistant 0.00
[X] Electrically adjustable, foldable and heated exterior mirrors 0.00
[X] Alarm with deadlocking 370.00

Miscellaneous

[1S1] Tool kit and jack 0.00

Equipment Switzerland

[# U8] Without guarantee of follow-up 0.00
[# Y7] Without VanCare 0.00

** END **

I agree the Springfields do look the part! The main reason for wanting the Sports pack was for the laminated cab glass, but believe it can be upgraded with the Z2C option

I'd love the sports pack with BLG but they don't allow 2 tone colours with sports pack
You couldn’t spec Z2C alone (outside of the sports pack) when I ordered a year ago.
You can have the BLG with the sports pack, but not the 2 tone White/BLG. I think I agree with VW on this one (though I hesitate - why not allow the customer what they want?) the sports pack blackens things and in a way simplifies the look. 2 tone would clash with that.
In my view 2-tone with Palmerstons is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Are you getting some answers @Dippa ? Making things easier?

I thought I'd post my full spec, I'm in Switzerland where the specs are bit different, and this is a direct translation from German, so ignore any obvious differences or strangely worded sentences.

Still, reason for posting is to be fully transparent on what I have chosen, it might help you, or its just a read on a rainy Sunday evening :)

I'm going from my current car which is a fully loaded Volvo XC60, which I spent way too much and vowed not to do the same again in the future. Buuuuut I don't want to be tight and have a not-quite-right car, considering the cheddar being spent, and this will be the daily driver everything all the time vehicle, that we plan on keeping for a long time.

Over the years there's been some pretty nice cars around, and even at the beginning of the year was looking at a 911, but as cool as all of that is, it's not what we want and need, and not the memory-maker that we are looking forward to the Cali being.

(Thankfully it's not a Beach Vs Ocean discussion so that's a lot of time saved!)

** MAIN VEHICLE **
  • Brand: Type VW Commercial Vehicles / California 6.1 Beach Edition Spirit
  • Color: Interior candy white (LB9A) / Art Velours Palladium black
  • Engine: PS / ccm 2000ccm 150PS / 110kW 4 cylinder TDI Common Rail EU6 SCR Diesel
  • Transmission: 7-speed automatic DSG front-wheel drive
** STANDARD FEATURES **

[1G8] Tire sealant and 12 volt compressor
[5K6] Transport protection measures normal roof
[7X2] Ultrasonic parking aid front and rear
[8T6] Cruise control system including speed limiter
[EJ1] Extension guarantee 2 + 1 100,000 km
[PKO] Comfort control panel incl. Climatronic, decorative. Brushed gray / titanium black-palladium and blackout blind front window
[QL5] Dark colored windows in the passenger compartment
[R27] We Connect Plus 3 years
[WVK] Special model California Edition Liberty
[WVU] Special model Beach Edition Spirit
[X] ESP, electronic stability program
[X] Leather multifunction steering wheel with controls for radio and telephone
[X] Central locking with radio remote control
[X] Heated rear window
[X] Airbag for driver and front passenger
[X] App-Connect
[X] Electric windows
[X] Electronic immobilizer
[X] ISOFIX child seat anchorages at the rear
[X] Diesel particulate filter
[X] Tire Mobility Set (tire sealant and 12 volt compressor)
[X] Tire pressure control display
[X] Engine start-stop system with braking energy recovery
[X] Bed extension with cushion at the back
[X] Side and head airbags for driver and front passenger
[X] 6 speakers
[X] Crosswind Assistant
[X] sliding door on the right
[X] Electromechanical power steering
[X] 2 swivel seats in the driver's cab
[X] 2 folding chairs in the tailgate trim
[X] Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors
[X] Hill Start Assist
[X] awning rail black
[X] Multipurpose table in the sliding door panel
[X] All-round darkening of the sleeping area
[X] Deep Black mirror housings and body-colored door handles
[X] Slidable 2-seater bench / bench
[X] 12 volt socket
[X] Multi-collision brake
[X] DAB +
[X] LED main headlights with LED daytime running lights
[X] mini kitchen
[X] Interior lighting concept Camper including lighting in the pop-up roof and tailgate
[X] "Climatronic" air conditioning system with air vents at the front and rear
[X] 70 liter fuel tank
[X] Indoor lights and reading lights
[X] Manual pop-up roof
[X] Fog lights with cornering lights
[X] Double bed with spring plates on top
[X] Preparation for roof rack (C-rails)
[X] Camper approval
[X] Sliding window in the front left passenger compartment
[X] 1st additional battery 75 Ah
[Z0C] 4 aluminum rims "Aracaju" black, high-sheen 7 J x 17
[Z4A] Light & vision package
[Z6B] Beach Edition package
[ZEO] "Premium" multifunctional display with multicolored display and drowsiness detection
[ZIE] Radio navigation device "Discover Media" 6 loudspeakers, 8 "touchscreen, 2 USB interfaces (type C), streaming & Internet
[ZZX] NOTE: Listed standard equipment can be omitted due to selected additional equipment!

** OPTIONAL EXTRAS **

Exterior color

[B4A1] Candy white (LB9A) 275.00

Interior

[GV] ArtVelours Palladium-Black 0.00

Outside

[1D2] Hitch, detachable and lockable (including trailer stabilization) 1'040.00
[3RJ] Servo closing tailgate 175.00
[4FJ] Sliding window with fly screen at the front and fixed window at the rear in the loading / passenger area on the left 90.00
[4JJ] Sliding window with fly screen at the front and fixed window at the rear in the loading / passenger area on the right 370.00
[5R7] Servo locking sliding door right 175.00
[7B5] 230 volt charging connection with battery charging function and 230V internal socket 835.00
[8W4] heated windscreen washer nozzles at the front and washer water level indicator 80.00
[JI3] Electro-hydraulic pop-up roof and mosquito net in the bellows at the front with front opening Basalt Gray 2,390.00
[NF1] awning, 2.5 meters black 685.00
[Z2A] Insulating glass with improved exterior noise insulation and darkened panes in the passenger compartment, sliding window normal glass darkened 460.00

Chassis / wheels

[1G2] Spare wheel with steel rim 110.00
[2E4] 17 "chassis with 17" brake system 180.00

Inside

[0F5] Fuel tank with 80 l tank volume 85.00
[9M4] Air auxiliary heating and water auxiliary heating, programmable, with radio remote control 2,790.00
[KA1] Reversing camera "Rear View" 330.00
[PKP] Comfort switch panel incl. Climatronic, decoration. Brushed gray / titanium black and blackout blind front window 0.00
[QR9] Traffic sign recognition 315.00
[ZEQ] Digital cockpit and drowsiness detection 530.00
[EM1] Drowsiness detection 0.00

Seats

[N3R] Art Velor seat covers 1'415.00
[ZNO] Electric seat adjustment for driver's seat with memory function (not rotatable) 1'545.00
[ZV3] 3-seater bench in the passenger area including multiflex board and 3 drawers 0.00
[3U1] Comfort sleeping pad for bench 420.00

Security

[7X5] Parking assistant 235.00
[8G1] "Light Assist" (high beam control) 180.00
[PAC] Automatic distance control ACC up to 210 km / h including speed control system 960.00
[8T7] Automatic distance control ACC 0.00
[6K4] "Front Assist" environment monitoring system with City emergency braking function for automatic distance control up to 210 km / h 0.00
[Z0X] "Side Assist" lane change assistant incl. "Lane Assist" lane departure warning system 830.00
[X] Lane Assist "Lane Assist" and "Side Assist" lane change assistant 0.00
[X] Parking assistant 0.00
[X] Electrically adjustable, foldable and heated exterior mirrors 0.00
[X] Alarm with deadlocking 370.00

Miscellaneous

[1S1] Tool kit and jack 0.00

Equipment Switzerland

[# U8] Without guarantee of follow-up 0.00
[# Y7] Without VanCare 0.00

** END **
Quite a lot different to U.K. spec there including (I think): we can’t spec electric seats; ACC and Park Assist are included (Ocean anyway); black aracaju’s not available; Edition not available; Z2A not available

I have the 204 engine 4 motion and 80litre fuel tank. I thought it was a VW urban myth that it put the van overweight because it certainly didn’t with mine

Navigation system media pro
Personal view but I would never buy a fitted Sat Nav again - just buy the best independent sand alone sat nav you can get.

A must buy do not forget the best value add on is the extra VW warranty only available within a few months of purchase

Personal view but I would never buy a fitted Sat Nav again - just buy the best independent sand alone sat nav you can get.
All Oceans come with satnav as standard.
Even if you never use the Vw one, going for discover media pro gives you the largest possible screen to display whatever your choice of sat nav is via car play.

My spec if it’s of interest:

Towbar Preparation
Shower
Bed Extension+Comfort Sleeping
Fuel Tank 80 Ltr
Metallic Paint (Indium Grey)
Mudflaps Front And Rear

To be honest the only one I actually need is the mud flaps (the after market / dealer fitted ones are awful)

The ocean is so well specced it’s amazing and I would take one with zero options, long gone are the poverty spec California’s. They never used to have tinted windows or awnings or hardly anything.

The first thing I’ll do is get the VW dealer to lower it using the VW / Eibach springs.

Last edited:
I have the 204 engine 4 motion and 80litre fuel tank. I thought it was a VW urban myth that it put the van overweight because it certainly didn’t with mine
I’m the same. It all depends what else is specced.

A must buy do not forget the best value add on is the extra VW warranty only available within a few months of purchase
I know what you mean in that the latest Navi off the shelf e.g. TomTom or android auto (soon to be Google Drive by the way!), is usually a better Navi for way cheaper. Although some manufacturers have gone all-in and are brilliant, e.g. BMW iDrive.

The value of your extra cash comes in the form of integration, in to the dashboard, controls and stereo/speakers/mic . No more wires, no stereo blasting whilst the poor Navi tries to give you instructions, no set up / put away every trip.

And no chance of an angry wife shouting "you do a U-turn!!" then throwing the little thing out the window never to be seen again (yep, happened).

Back to the Cali, I've gone for the medium spec not the pro, as wanted some real buttons to reach out and use to do things like zoom in and out of a map. I expect it can be updated for a few years too.

I cannot understand why "keep your eyes on the road" and "button-less massive screen" go together in a car!! Even Volvo made the same mistake. Plus if ever there was a valid use for the power of voice controlled e.g. Google or Alexa, then surely the car is the perfect place but that's a different thread altogether.

For anyone that’s used them it’s hard to argue IMHO that the VW sat nav come anywhere close to using CarPlay / Android Auto, VW will never catch up, it’s too late. Waze, Google Maps & Apple Maps are too far ahead already.

The standard Ocean stereo has VW Connect as standard and therefore Apple CarPlay / Android Auto + its wireless. It also has physical buttons which I think is a bonus, so that’s why I didn’t ‘upgrade’. It also has the VW Sat Nav as standard anyway.

For anyone that’s used them it’s hard to argue IMHO that the VW sat nav come anywhere close to using CarPlay / Android Auto, VW will never catch up, it’s too late. Waze, Google Maps & Apple Maps are too far ahead already.

The standard Ocean stereo has VW Connect as standard and therefore Apple CarPlay / Android Auto + its wireless. It also has physical buttons which I think is a bonus, so that’s why I didn’t ‘upgrade’. It also has the VW Sat Nav as standard anyway.
Yep see what you mean, makes sense

We had a coast, purely as I wanted a manual roof.

My must have is heated seats. Makes driving so much nicer.

Wooden floor we dismissed straight away. I knew we would have split mats down so you can move the rear seat but no spillages would go down the tracks.

Rear camera is a must too.

Rest is personal preference.

20210819_180247.jpg

20210819_180405.jpg

Quite a lot different to U.K. spec there including (I think): we can’t spec electric seats; ACC and Park Assist are included (Ocean anyway); black aracaju’s not available; Edition not available; Z2A not available
I believe the front seat options are different for the UK due to various reasons including:

- "Swivelgate" in the UK (all discussed on this forum)
- RHD UK with the driver seat is on the opposite side of the kitchen means it really needs to swivel to get a nice layout for facing each other, but not quite as essential on the LHD
- Beach is very popular in Switzerland as a daily driver and not only a camper, so some people (including me) go for the electric memory height adjustable driver seat, and don't mind not having the swivel option for that same seat. The passenger stays the same meaning it's manual and can swivel.

I believe the front seat options are different for the UK due to various reasons including:

- "Swivelgate" in the UK (all discussed on this forum)
- RHD UK with the driver seat is on the opposite side of the kitchen means it really needs to swivel to get a nice layout for facing each other, but not quite as essential on the LHD
- Beach is very popular in Switzerland as a daily driver and not only a camper, so some people (including me) go for the electric memory height adjustable driver seat, and don't mind not having the swivel option for that same seat. The passenger stays the same meaning it's manual and can swivel.
Of course if we didn't have the option I would have been happy to stick to the standard seats, keep the swivel, and save the money

We had a coast, purely as I wanted a manual roof.

My must have is heated seats. Makes driving so much nicer.

Wooden floor we dismissed straight away. I knew we would have split mats down so you can move the rear seat but no spillages would go down the tracks.

Rear camera is a must too.

Rest is personal preference.

View attachment 83428

View attachment 83429
Your mats fit well - where are they from?

Your mats fit well - where are they from?
They are 2 marvel mats from dunelm. The 80 x 150 runners. I marked the tracks with tape to where the bed went to when out the cut the mats with scissors where it went. Stanley knife for round the cupboard and seats. Cut offs for the doors.

They're great mats as rubber backed, go in the washing machine, don't fray and have lines on them which help with cutting straight.
Took me an hour to do and I've never done it before. I used 2 so I can lift the back 1 and place ontop of the other when the beds out.

I've another 1 in the boot but a square 1. They come in all different sizes.

I know what you mean in that the latest Navi off the shelf e.g. TomTom or android auto (soon to be Google Drive by the way!), is usually a better Navi for way cheaper. Although some manufacturers have gone all-in and are brilliant, e.g. BMW iDrive.

The value of your extra cash comes in the form of integration, in to the dashboard, controls and stereo/speakers/mic . No more wires, no stereo blasting whilst the poor Navi tries to give you instructions, no set up / put away every trip.

And no chance of an angry wife shouting "you do a U-turn!!" then throwing the little thing out the window never to be seen again (yep, happened).

Back to the Cali, I've gone for the medium spec not the pro, as wanted some real buttons to reach out and use to do things like zoom in and out of a map. I expect it can be updated for a few years too.

I cannot understand why "keep your eyes on the road" and "button-less massive screen" go together in a car!! Even Volvo made the same mistake. Plus if ever there was a valid use for the power of voice controlled e.g. Google or Alexa, then surely the car is the perfect place but that's a different thread altogether.
I had button-less nav in my 2013 Golf GTi. Hated it. Currently have idrive -plus some button in my BMW. Best system there is out there by far in my opinion. Shame others don’t take notice.

I had button-less nav in my 2013 Golf GTi. Hated it. Currently have idrive -plus some button in my BMW. Best system there is out there by far in my opinion. Shame others don’t take notice.
I wonder if BMW patented the heck out of their design? Its been years now and no-one gets close

Not quite. Unsure if the 17" wheels are better than the 18" and is the sports pack worth it ?
I'd have standard 17" wheels then at a later date do an upgrade to 18" wheels if required. Cheaper than factory supply. Davenports resell well other styles don't seem popular hence worth less. 235/55/17 tyres in All-Season tread a good option both if keeping or reselling later.

If you're ordering with the standard 17" alloys, I recommend switching to the other FREE 17" option "Woodstocks" a much nicer (and newer) wheel in my opinion, these also have a much higher resale value if you wanted to upgrade to 18"

If you're ordering with the standard 17" alloys, I recommend switching to the other FREE 17" option "Woodstocks" a much nicer (and newer) wheel in my opinion, these also have a much higher resale value if you wanted to upgrade to 18"
Oh yes, my favourite (I would have gone for that switch but wasn't a no-cost option for me)

Back