Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

Close but no cigar.
That 2.07m hight means it isn’t a Cali killer.
Bought a cali partly on that basis that barriers would become more common, they dont seem to have in Scotland anyway.
However very many places we have encountered barriers they tended to be 2.1m or 2.3m.
If am honest given some experiences of 2m barriers i have read in here not being 2m after the entry like multi story carparks and taking that risk with such an expensive vehicle, i wouldnt say that 2.07m is a total deal breaker if it saves £10k +.
Next Cali if based on the custom might not be 2m.

Had my Coast up for sale for 30 days on Ebay, 1500+ views and ended with 42 watchers but not one single serious enquiry. 2021 with 9k miles, lots of extras for £59k! Was one of the cheaper ones on the market before you even factor in the extras it has.

I've never found Ebay to be a good venue to sell a high value vehicle. Lots of bottom feeders and tire kickers.

Last edited by a moderator:

eBay always attracts these types of numbers, 42 watchers in real terms isn't a lot. I agree with the above, I wouldn't be listing a newish Cali there.

I'm always unsure where to price Coasts, especially as they don't make them anymore so no 'new' price guide.

For me personally most of the T6.1 Californias / Beaches / Coasts asking prices are hard to justify, a brand new made to order 2023 California Ocean can be had for £66k

A brand new good spec Coast would’ve been available with discount at approx 56-57k when new.

I appreciate that they are no longer made but an 18month old one should be around 52-53k. I think you’d sell it at this and I definitely don’t think it would be classed as a price crash.

A brand new good spec Coast would’ve been available with discount at approx 56-57k when new.

I appreciate that they are no longer made but an 18month old one should be around 52-53k. I think you’d sell it at this and I definitely don’t think it would be classed as a price crash.
Hear what you are saying BUT I didn’t buy it brand new and certainly paid more than 57k.

Hear what you are saying BUT I didn’t buy it brand new and certainly paid more than 57k.
So it’s less than 2 years old and had 2 owners?

Changed my valuation to 50-52k then! :D:D

Sounds like you paid the Covid price when they were over list?

Not trying to advertise it for free! just giving my feedback on my experience selling a Cali which I thought was relevant for this thread.

When it comes to Coasts, the value has much to do with the options. Skies the limit on the Coast while the Ocean gets many important options as standard.

Had my Coast up for sale for 30 days on Ebay, 1500+ views and ended with 42 watchers but not one single serious enquiry. 2021 with 9k miles, lots of extras for £59k! Was one of the cheaper ones on the market before you even factor in the extras it has.
Price and year even where it’s advertised
Sounds like free to me :thumb

Have you had a look at the current retail prices being asked for used coasts ?!
Asking prices don’t necessarily reflect sale prices as you’ve found out, when you can order a new Ocean for £66k with better base spec, dealer assurance, 3 year warranty, lower finance rates, free insurance, servicing and MoT, all with a sub 6 months delivery estimate it’s going be a tough market to sell a second hand vehicle for anything other than the trade price.

Have you had a look at the current retail prices being asked for used coasts ?!
Yes, yours seemed to be priced well against those (spec of your’s unknown) but in my opinion they are unrealistic.

I just think that anywhere near 54- 55k would still be an extremely good return on a Coast that was probably about 58k new and that’s 2 years old and had 2 owners. Maybe you should just drop a little and advertise it on here.

I sold my 2018 Beach Edition on here in 2020 within a week. But at £43000, I priced it pretty well, and it seems a bit cheap now!!

Red never seems to be a popular colour. I love it.
In your picture it looks like it‘s been massively lowered. Barely off the ground. That’s quite niche and could put a lot people off.

In your picture it looks like it‘s been massively lowered. Barely off the ground. That’s quite niche and could put a lot people off.
Would put me off!

Also looks like the Headlights aren’t Factory LED’s? Could be wrong though as it’s hard to see?

When there's a two tone high spec Coast for £61k from a VW main dealer with 2k miles on the clock also advertised on ebay you are always going to struggle to compete.

Although the broken suspension look is popular with some people, its also a massive turn off for others - you've probably at least halved your buying pool.
Add in aftermarket lights & two owners in such a short space of time & the potential list of buyers is getting smaller & smaller.

To get your best return, put it back to standard - you will increase the number of potential buyers & flog off the aftermarket bits to recover some more money.

If I remember correctly yours came on 16" wheels - put those back on & if the tyres are ok you will get £1200-£1400 for Toluca wheels (if genuine VW) a couple of hundred for the headlights, a couple of hundred for a lowering kit.

If you can hang on a couple of months, Easter onwards is a far better time to sell, you will have people that want a van now & it will also be too late for a factory order to arrive for summer.

So it’s less than 2 years old and had 2 owners?

Changed my valuation to 50-52k then! :D:D

Sounds like you paid the Covid price when they were over list?

That’s what I thought.
Personally, I would be amazed if anyone paid over £50k for a used Coast.
The prices for all models are definitely on their way down…

That’s what I thought.
Personally, I would be amazed if anyone paid over £50k for a used Coast.
The prices for all models are definitely on their way down…
I get what you're saying but that's harsh for a 6.1, have you seen the Beach asking prices? A Coast should be more than a Beach less than an Ocean.

Red certainly seems to be an unpopular colour, only cheap ones selling. It's a buyers market at the moment so they can pick the colour, spec they want.

I remember when I bought mine, dealer said red was a hard colour to sell on. Plenty of choice currently, but prices still seem high, compared to ordering new.

I get what you're saying but that's harsh for a 6.1, have you seen the Beach asking prices? A Coast should be more than a Beach less than an Ocean.

Red certainly seems to be an unpopular colour, only cheap ones selling. It's a buyers market at the moment so they can pick the colour, spec they want.

The problem with the Coast, is how somebody may have specced the vehicle.
Some people threw options at a van, which then became on par price wise with an Ocean.
Options don’t necessarily add to resale value.

Back