Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

The problem with the Coast, is how somebody may have specced the vehicle.
Some people threw options at a van, which then became on par price wise with an Ocean.
Options don’t necessarily add to resale value.
WBAC yesterday still offering the same as I paid (With discount) for our 18month old Coast. No complaints on residuals from me.

Vans appear to be shifting quicker and at similar prices to COVID as we head out of winter and into spring… maybe a ‘crash’ isn’t imminent, despite what the doom thinkers were saying (namely those who cashed out / don’t own a Cali to begin with). :thumb
Let’s see if this continues.

Vans appear to be shifting quicker and at similar prices to COVID as we head out of winter and into spring… maybe a ‘crash’ isn’t imminent, despite what the doom thinkers were saying (namely those who cashed out / don’t own a Cali). :thumb
Let’s see if this continues.
Down to 42 listed on Autotrader, about 1/3 of the number available at xmas. It looks like all the expensive ones that have sold.

Down to 42 listed on Autotrader, about 1/3 of the number available at xmas. It looks like all the expensive ones that have sold.
Are you looking in the car or motorhome section? 167 showing for me on Auto Trader, 97 of which are above £65K in the car section.
Vans appear to be shifting quicker and at similar prices to COVID
I would say it's the sensibly priced ones that are selling at the moment. still some adverts coming on with nuts pricing for the age of vehicle.

Are you looking in the car or motorhome section? 167 showing for me on Auto Trader, 97 of which are above £65K in the car section.

I would say it's the sensibly priced ones that are selling at the moment. still some adverts coming on with nuts pricing for the age of vehicle.
Just look at the for sale section of this site, I think it’s more reflective of the market. AutoTrader is full of old and duplicate listings. These T6s appear to be still selling for more than their original list prices.

Just look at the for sale section of this site, I think it’s more reflective of the market. AutoTrader is full of old and duplicate listings. These T6s appear to be still selling for more than their original list prices.

The Oceans at the right price are selling.
A few reduced, but it looks like the Oceans are moving...

Just to add a little fuel to this fire, WBAC have just increased their offer (which I'm not taking) by £7,000 in the last week! Strange times.

Same here, just updated a WBAC valuation out of interest (no intention of selling). They have offered me just short of what I paid (via DtD) for my van 27 months ago. Conservatively i’d say I could add at least 10% to the WBAC VALUATION for a private sale which would deliver a profit.

Hello,

Now and then I have a look to see what is of offer on California and Grand Californias. Today I came across these offers:

1677599951137.png

1677599915518.png
I like the Californias, but those prices are a wee bit over the top. But I am sure they will be sold - eventually.

Regards,
Eberhard

PS
The provided information about the configuration of those campers seems to be ok but certainly not fancy.

Hello,

Now and then I have a look to see what is of offer on California and Grand Californias. Today I came across these offers:

View attachment 105424

View attachment 105423
I like the Californias, but those prices are a wee bit over the top. But I am sure they will be sold - eventually.

Regards,
Eberhard

PS
The provided information about the configuration of those campers seems to be ok but certainly not fancy.
If the Euro crashes from 1.14 to the pound to 1.40 them prices will be about right.

Wow , 55 Cali's for sale just one this website alone, never seen so many, why are so many people selling up this year?

Wow , 55 Cali's for sale just one this website alone, never seen so many, why are so many people selling up this year?

probably a number of reasons.
The lock down camping dream is now not what it was, campsites over charge for very little to many camper vans and motorhomes on the sites,people are feeling the pinch end of pcp deals new financial rates are to high.Flights to Europe are back at pre pandemic levels stay cations are going to be a thing of the past.
People are like sheep everyone jumps on the bandwagon, dogs are the same everyone wanted a dog now the kennels are full of the poor sods.

Certainly a buyers market looking at the reductions

Second hand ones still asking silly money tbh.
I’m always amazed at how many people seem to want to sell after a short ownership. Ours is 11 yrs old this year (7 yrs with us) and we are only looking for a newer model to have Euro 6 and a DSG box.

Last edited:
Certainly a buyers market looking at the reductions
Re your disagree imogi to my post 550#, the term "crashed" implies that values have hit the floor. They haven't and never will!
If you are looking to buy, then now would be a good time but don't leave it too long as the picture may change again when the spring arrives.

Last edited:
Hello,

Now and then I check the prices for new Californias in Ireland (well, for a few other campervans / motorhomes as well). At the moment it feels to me that the prices for new campers going up - a good bit. Because of this the prices for used vehicles staying high also.

Will that stay that way?

I believe for the foreseeable future yes, but as mentioned in a post before people will focus on different ways to spend their holidays / free time.

Why to I think so?

The cost of buying, owning and using a camper is high. Prices for campsites are going up constantly, but not only that, it is more difficult to get a space in a campsite if it is not booked well in advance. Well, if that is the case, why don't you go to aires, I hear you say. Because there are only a few aires in Ireland. And more and more cities and counties are against campervans / motorhomes so no aires are build, even more signs go up "no campervans" or "no overnight" etc.

Prices of flying are coming down and beside price increases in the holiday countries many people will prefer to stay in a hotel than in a campervan.

I do understand if entire countries (Portugal) and counties (eg Wexford) or cities (Dun Laoghaire) are not willing to deal or are less welcoming to so many campervans / motorhomes. It is easier and quicker to get them out altogether or just tolerate them.

I don't know, but there are discussions from Dublin City Council to increase the cost of parking to 400% (yes, that is not a typo). All to encourage people to use public transport. Cars with combustion engines will be here for a while, but the car tax and tax on petrol and diesel will be very high - all to "persuade" drivers to move to electric cars.

I am just reading all this again, and it sound all pessimistic, sorry about this. Maybe it is the cold spell in March that makes me a bit negative.

Regards,
Eberhard

PS
Nevertheless I will enjoy my camper as much as I can and as long as I can afford :) it.

Re your disagree imogi to my post 550#, the term "crashed" implies that values have hit the floor. They haven't and never will!
If you are looking to buy, then now would be a good time but don't leave it too long as the picture may change again when the spring arrives.
Bought in January the price was good, helped by a well over stocked van centre but thats another story as to why....

Better be quick and buy the last 6.1 diesel version.
When VW stop making, them I foresee the prices sky rocketing. And thefts will increase.
So get that Global tracker and ghost installed asap !

Back