Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

Thats a bold prediction. What comes next will make or break it.
You heard it here first ;)
You are correct, the 7 needs to be something even better than the 6.1.
Would love a 500 mile electric one.
With a slighter lower ground clearance, but that makes for a larger lower cabin. Upper cabin can remain the same size.
Electric handbrake, chairs and dashboard and steering wheel that could move right forward in the space where the 6.1 engine is.
They could make something totally amazing.
But to keep it on thread, the prices will dip, these VW centres who have plenty of stock will soon be sold. And then prices will increase as the diesel lovers will want the latest 6.1 model to keep while they fix the electric one over the next 15 years.

Or the electric one will be like chopped liver
Fun times:upsidedown

You heard it here first ;)
You are correct, the 7 needs to be something even better than the 6.1.
Would love a 500 mile electric one.
With a slighter lower ground clearance, but that makes for a larger lower cabin. Upper cabin can remain the same size.
Electric handbrake, chairs and dashboard and steering wheel that could move right forward in the space where the 6.1 engine is.
They could make something totally amazing.
But to keep it on thread, the prices will dip, these VW centres who have plenty of stock will soon be sold. And then prices will increase as the diesel lovers will want the latest 6.1 model to keep while they fix the electric one over the next 15 years.

Or the electric one will be like chopped liver
Fun times:upsidedown
Glad I got my Coast to enjoy now and be able to take a back seat in the peanut gallery as the EV sector evolves.
I still think hydrogen is the future. There was a very interesting interview with JCB on Harry's Garage a few days ago. JCB are 100% into H2 and have production ready engines that are direct replacements for the diesel counterpart. The US is spending billions to develop the technology needed for green H2. I will keep my Coast until that becomes a reality for Joe Bloggs.

The aim for several key players and countries is to get to a point where H2 production equates to a dollar/kg. Expected to be achievable in the next decade.

Glad I got my Coast to enjoy now and be able to take a back seat in the peanut gallery as the EV sector evolves.
I still think hydrogen is the future. There was a very interesting interview with JCB on Harry's Garage a few days ago. JCB are 100% into H2 and have production ready engines that are direct replacements for the diesel counterpart. The US is spending billions to develop the technology needed for green H2. I will keep my Coast until that becomes a reality for Joe Bloggs.
Totally agree with you, H2 can be refilled in 2 minutes, the same as you do now with Diesel.
Is Honda going the H2 route ?

I work for a large automotive component manufacturer that is investing massively in H2. It is estimated that by 2030, H2 will be mature enough to compete with conventional battery technology. As well as major Car OEMs testing the technology, H2 is being trialled with Truck, Bus and train manufacturers.

Since 2018, on a new Autobahnraststätte on the A9 north of Munich, it was possible to buy H2 at 10€/litre.

I believe that the future energy medium for any heavy form of transport, and I include towing a large caravan in this category, will be H2.

I,also, am pleased that I've taken delivery of a new diesel Cali. The future of a T6 replacement that can tow 2.5Tonnes with a re-fuel time of 5 minutes is not at all clear.

I believe the Beach is also 13%.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Surf will be added!

That 13% will include the 1k finance contribution though.

I saw this; we are still thinking about buying (hiring one next week to check the kiddo is feasible in one for us!) and the gap between used T6s (£50-£55k for one 3-4 years old) and a brand new 6.1 is getting narrower and less justifiable. I guess this potentially will cause a dip in used prices if the new ones are more affordable, albeit I don't know how long one would have to wait to get a new one via DTD . . . are they stock vehicles, I assume so as I've heard something about the factory stopping making 6.1s now?

I saw this; we are still thinking about buying (hiring one next week to check the kiddo is feasible in one for us!) and the gap between used T6s (£50-£55k for one 3-4 years old) and a brand new 6.1 is getting narrower and less justifiable. I guess this potentially will cause a dip in used prices if the new ones are more affordable, albeit I don't know how long one would have to wait to get a new one via DTD . . . are they stock vehicles, I assume so as I've heard something about the factory stopping making 6.1s now?
The California offers are on all new Factory orders.

They have stopped taking new orders for T6.1 Vans / Kombis/ Caravelle & Shuttle.

The California offers are on all new Factory orders.

They have stopped taking new orders for T6.1 Vans / Kombis/ Caravelle & Shuttle.

Cheers. Presumably with an accordingly long wait list then for a new Cali if it's a factory order!

Cheers. Presumably with an accordingly long wait list then for a new Cali if it's a factory order!
Should be fast given that they are not taking orders for new base vans etc. Can shift more manpower to over Cali production.

Thanks for the tip.
On YT I just found a very informative video from Harry's Farm, the sister program of Harry's Garage:

In no more than half an hour you get a "crash course" on how the industry which builds tractors, shovels and other heavy equipment is moving very fast in the direction of H2 fueled motors. Didn't know how fast these developments are going.

What I learned too: this is not leading to a one-on-one replacement of our Cali diesel engine by a H2 engine.

I also learned that an H2 engine has hundreds of moving parts, like a diesel engine, that are prone to wear and tear and expensive maintenance.

As diesel Cali owners our best bet might be to replace the diesel by a mixed engine: a small H2 unit, producing electricity, that drives an electric battery engine to turn our wheels.

Over here in Holland, there are some T6 vans that are succesfuly using that hybrid option:

H2_transporterengine.jpg

Watery greetings from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Thanks for the tip.
On YT I just found a very informative video from Harry's Farm, the sister program of Harry's Garage:

In no more than half an hour you get a "crash course" on how the industry which builds tractors, shovels and other heavy equipment is moving very fast in the direction of H2 fueled motors. Didn't know how fast these developments are going.

What I learned too: this is not leading to a one-on-one replacement of our Cali diesel engine by a H2 engine.

I also learned that an H2 engine has hundreds of moving parts, like a diesel engine, that are prone to wear and tear and expensive maintenance.

As diesel Cali owners our best bet might be to replace the diesel by a mixed engine: a small H2 unit, producing electricity, that drives an electric battery engine to turn our wheels.

Over here in Holland, there are some T6 vans that are succesfuly using that hybrid option:

View attachment 105894

Watery greetings from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Yeah, thats the YT vid to which I was referring. Didn't realise he also has a Harry's Farm channel.

I think the hybrid solution is really the best of both worlds. Just need VW to package it so its a drop in solution for the Cali.

Just specced a Beach £62k
Also specced a Surf £63,700…
Ocean £68k.

Not much price difference between the Surf and Beach…

Here’s the bonkers bit.
Used vans which are more expensive, including vans advertised on the forum.

Just specced a Beach £62k
Also specced a Surf £63,700…
Ocean £68k.

Not much price difference between the Surf and Beach…
Just specced a replacement Ocean at £82k....Lol

@Tomdbreeze What are the current manufacturer periods for Oceans and Beaches?
Lead time on ocean is may build see it end of June July. But we have seen oceans built in two months and in the uk ready for delivery. Exceptionally quick lead time at the moment.

Back