Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
All about supply and demand, but I can’t see used prices dropping significantly until VW reduces the new price of a Cali’ along with the delivery timescale.

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6.1 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I think you’d be brave sinking £91k into a California at the moment…
That’s got to be one of them vat mistake cali as it ain’t even a 4motion.
They add vat when they shouldn’t bet you see that price change soon.

scottk

scottk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hopefully nobody is daft enough to pay that price. The wait is difficult but in our case we really have too much on our plate until after August. Realistically won’t see our van until the end of the year the way things are going although it would be a pleasant surprise if it landed earlier. We looked at second hand but decided it just wasn’t worth it which has turned out quite well for us as we would be struggling to get a night away currently!

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I think prices will drop quickly and considerably in a year or two and I certainly hope to be wrong.
I love camping, I love my Cali especially now that after 3 years of ownership I dialed it exactly to fit my needs regarding its setup/accessories, what to take on holiday and what not.
But i have started considering selling it, maybe. Because it is the environment that has changed. Not sure in UK , but here in Europe now there are twice as many camping buses, motorhomes, caravans compared to pre-covid. But the number or camping pitches has remained the same, actually it has decreased, as many camping operators have placed their own "Mobile Homes" - Bungalows, on pitches that were previously for tents/caravans/motorhomes.
I have become mad trying to find available pitches for example along the north-eastern coast of Italy, all fully booked since months. In fact I could only find something in Trieste, near the Slovenian border.
So much for spontaneous holidays. They killed it.
Not much better in the alps. Some camps have pitches you can't book. It's on a first come first served basis. Tried last year, huge number of people waiting for a pitch becoming available, ended up in a football field as "interim" stay while i waited for a pitch. this year is even worse.
I can't drive hundreds of miles with a small daughter and dog without knowing if I have a place to sleep. Way, way too many motorhomes.
Hence, if I am becoming demotivated with camping even though i love it, maybe other people will too, and they will sell.
Being quoted 125€ per night in Cavallino-Jesolo for a standard pitch with 1 adult+1 child+1 dog also didn't help.

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I think prices will drop quickly and considerably in a year or two and I certainly hope to be wrong.
I love camping, I love my Cali especially now that after 3 years of ownership I dialed it exactly to fit my needs regarding its setup/accessories, what to take on holiday and what not.
But i have started considering selling it, maybe. Because it is the environment that has changed. Not sure in UK , but here in Europe now there are twice as many camping buses, motorhomes, caravans compared to pre-covid. But the number or camping pitches has remained the same, actually it has decreased, as many camping operators have placed their own "Mobile Homes" - Bungalows, on pitches that were previously for tents/caravans/motorhomes.
I have become mad trying to find available pitches for example along the north-eastern coast of Italy, all fully booked since months. In fact I could only find something in Trieste, near the Slovenian border.
So much for spontaneous holidays. They killed it.
Not much better in the alps. Some camps have pitches you can't book. It's on a first come first served basis. Tried last year, huge number of people waiting for a pitch becoming available, ended up in a football field as "interim" stay while i waited for a pitch. this year is even worse.
I can't drive hundreds of miles with a small daughter and dog without knowing if I have a place to sleep. Way, way too many motorhomes.
Hence, if I am becoming demotivated with camping even though i love it, maybe other people will too, and they will sell.
Being quoted 125€ per night in Cavallino-Jesolo for a standard pitch with 1 adult+1 child+1 dog also didn't help.
Thats disappointing but very understandable if you have constraints that require a dedicated pitch. If I was not prepared to spend much of my time wild camping I might be second guessing a decision to buy a Campervan too. Luckily with a lot of flexibility I don't need to plan my trips around school and traditional holiday periods ie July/August, preferring to take vacations during off and mid season. I remember how bad it was finding camping in August when I lived in Italy. The company I worked at shutdown for the August holiday and we were obliged to take vacation then and we generally headed to the Islands of Corsica and Sardinia. They were still busy but easier to find a pitch away from the tourist hotspots.
It certainly sounds like the spontaneity a Cali can offer is now somewhat tempered.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

ARE PRICES DUE TO CRASH?​

Why should this matter?

If you bought your van to enjoy and go camping then it will still do that just the same regardless of what the market says it's worth. It's a motor vehicle and was always going to depreciate over time.

If you bought it to speculate or for somewhere safe to put your cash then that was rather naïve as values are always linked to market forces which are themselves affected by any number of other often unforeseen factors. The recent high second hand values were only a temporary aberration and if that situation is now over then that can't really be called a "crash".

As for a drop in demand due to the current economic climate? Well that may happen to a certain extent and may result in some better discount deals but I doubt if they will amount to much, if anything at all, unless the supply of new vehicles improves significantly. Even during an economic squeeze there will still be buyers with the cash or disposable ready to purchase.

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
Looking to buy
If the T7 Multivan is going to be the platform for the next Cali, T6.1 and earlier owners don't need to worry about resale. Its fugly

T7's.jpg

apreading

apreading

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
The T7’s elongated car based nose is subtracted from the interior space, so even the LWB version doesn't have the same interior and luggage space as a SWB T6, while being longer overall. The SWB T7 is shorter than the T6 so not viable really as a camper.

Not an advance in packaging, but a savings for VW since it is essentially the same chassis as the Caddy, with a false double A pillar tacked on to disguise the long nose, front row moved rearward and loss of cargo space. It really doesnt work as a van or camper.

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The T7 Multivan is a people carrier so why is everyone so negative. Having sat and driven a T7 Style with leather seating it does exactly what is was designed for and does it well. Drives much better than a van and anyone who has driven one will agree. A minor modification to lower grill would help and companies will have this planned.
No the next Transporter will be the Ford built van and then the wailing will be justified.

Last edited:
Karlos

Karlos

Top Poster
Vehicle
Cali now sold
There has to be a correction in all markets at some point, I was going to take early retirement this year but as things are I have put those plans on hold, still waiting for my new non VW van conversion from one of the established motorhome builders and yes I'm possibly buying at the top of the market but the new van is still less than I sold our Cali for and we intend to keep it for around 10 years. I think Cali's will loose less than others and the overpricing of used vehicles will reduce but there will always be a market for these vehicles.